PDA

View Full Version : Question about LED underglow lights

RocknRolla
1st August 2011, 15:57
Hey m8s
I am quite new to New Zealand. Came from Russia this year to do my master degree at AUT. Friends call me Anton, or Antonio :)
Got a question about legality of riding with extra lights under the fairing of my bike. Sry for possible repetition, but I haven't found the answer through the 'search'.
I heard that it have become illegal couple of month ago to ride with such lights, but, as I understand, this is only for cars.
Actually I've installed red LEDs at the back and white at the front. Everything looks pretty nice, but I am not quite sure if police shares my passion to it%)
Check my Kwaka 250 with LEDs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7SmKy6_lsA

Scuba_Steve
1st August 2011, 16:04
last I checked it (couple years now) under glows were legal BUT you must not be able to see the light source, the lights must not change colour or "flicker"/flash etc, red must not be visible from front, white must not be visible from rear.

here is from NZTA site

The use of cosmetic lights (see What are cosmetic lights?) is now controlled by the following requirements:
they must be angled downwards
they must be fitted so that the light source isn’t directly visible from the front or back of the vehicle (this will prevent the lights distracting, confusing or dazzling other road users)
they can only give out light that is spread out (diffuse) rather than light concentrated in a beam
they must not be positioned close to mandatory lights such as headlights or indicators.
Illuminated signs (eg, advertising signs illuminated by a light inside them) on a vehicle must not dazzle, confuse or distract other road users by being too bright – if they do, their brightness will need to be reduced to an acceptable level.
Vehicles that are manufactured overseas to approved European, Japanese, Australian or American lighting standards can now be used without having first met New Zealand ’s domestic vehicle lighting requirements. (Previously, imported vehicles had to have work done on them to meet New Zealand requirements regardless of whether they already met certain overseas standards).
Amber beacons are now automatically allowed on vehicles that meet certain criteria (previously approval had to be gained before they were used).
A wider range of cycle lights will be allowed.
Vehicles with body shapes that make it difficult to meet height requirements for lights can now have lights fitted higher on the vehicle (up to 2.1 metres from the ground).
Heavy vehicles and tractors are allowed a greater number of indicators, brake lights and position lights.
The angle of dip for dipped-beam headlights has been changed – this means that the next time vehicle owners go in for a WoF or CoF inspection, their dipped-beam headlights may need to be re-aligned to meet the new angle. For most vehicles, this new angle will be the optimal dip angle specified by the manufacturer.
The law has been relaxed so that certain damaged vehicle lights do not have to be removed or replaced as long as they are disabled (eg, by removing the bulb). Previously, the entire light had to be removed or replaced.

nathanwhite
1st August 2011, 16:39
it's covered a little more in depth here:http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/137696-I-have-an-urge

but the basics is what he said.
lights cannot flash/rotate/pulsate/change colour etc and if they are not red or white they cannot be directly seen, only the reflected glow on the engine/fairing/chassis/etc.

and welcome to KB :)

RocknRolla
1st August 2011, 22:28
Thank you so much guys!
Cya on the road :)