PDA

View Full Version : New rear springs for my CBX

nzspokes
2nd August 2011, 07:34
So my CBX seems to be undersprung for my petite 105kgs. Its a twin shocker, can I get up rated springs?

Robert Taylor
2nd August 2011, 07:53
So my CBX seems to be undersprung for my petite 105kgs. Its a twin shocker, can I get up rated springs?

Not easy at all for oem shock springs, nigh to impossible without making adaptation spacers. But also the shocks are all but single acting, there is little to no low speed compression damping, that is a about 50% of the contribution to it riding too low in its stroke

nzspokes
2nd August 2011, 07:55
So I cant get a spring maker to wind some up? Need to work out the rate of mine as they seem to be progressive.

Robert Taylor
2nd August 2011, 08:32
So I cant get a spring maker to wind some up? Need to work out the rate of mine as they seem to be progressive.

If you can find a springmaker in NZ that uses spring stele that doesnt sack out, yes. Unless that unsatisfactory situation no longer prevails it will end in tears. This though is still a bandaid as the spring rate issue is only 50% of the problem

nzspokes
2nd August 2011, 08:57
If you can find a springmaker in NZ that uses spring stele that doesnt sack out, yes. Unless that unsatisfactory situation no longer prevails it will end in tears. This though is still a bandaid as the spring rate issue is only 50% of the problem

Yes im fat. get over it. :facepalm:

Robert Taylor
2nd August 2011, 09:51
Yes im fat. get over it. :facepalm:

I wasnt eluding to your personal stats and your reply surprises me as I was stating the situation with the suspension. Apologies to be so candid.

nzspokes
2nd August 2011, 10:00
I wasnt eluding to your personal stats and your reply surprises me as I was stating the situation with the suspension. Apologies to be so candid.

I was taking the piss. lol. No worries. I should eat less pies. :shutup:

I will probably just leave it as it is. More i think about it the harder it gets. Its a 1k bike that I will have for a year. Not worth the money to be spent on it.

DEATH_INC.
2nd August 2011, 15:29
I know one....but they can't wind stuff that small in diameter.
Maybe the shocks off a cb1100 or something will fit?

Maha
2nd August 2011, 16:01
Keep in mind that whatever you spend on it wont increase the value.

dogsnbikes
2nd August 2011, 16:19
I was taking the piss. lol. No worries. I should eat less pies. :shutup:

I will probably just leave it as it is. More i think about it the harder it gets. Its a 1k bike that I will have for a year. Not worth the money to be spent on it.

If your not keeping it long I wouldn't worry about it,I scootered around 4 over 2 years with the standard rear suspension on my rs and I'm 20kg heavier than you.....

But FYI the rear shocks of a GS550 should fit...well they have on my Cb250rs frame I just had too swap the top rubber gromet over was all

Robert Taylor
2nd August 2011, 19:55
If your not keeping it long I wouldn't worry about it,I scootered around 4 over 2 years with the standard rear suspension on my rs and I'm 20kg heavier than you.....

But FYI the rear shocks of a GS550 should fit...well they have on my Cb250rs frame I just had too swap the top rubber gromet over was all

Whats the spring rate, base preload, damping force and motion ratio comparison?

nzspokes
2nd August 2011, 20:26

I will just drop the oil out of mine and throw in some 30/40. Worked in old Toranas back in the day. :blink:

nzspokes
2nd August 2011, 20:27
Keep in mind that whatever you spend on it wont increase the value.

But but but but but

dogsnbikes
2nd August 2011, 20:28

Couldn't tell ya........but where the orignal 250 springs were set to max,was equal to the GS springs set too Min and now I have the GS springs set to 3/4's..the GS spring is proberly 50% bigger diameter and is 50mm wide compared too the 250 spring which is 30mm wide

Robert Taylor
3rd August 2011, 07:19
Couldn't tell ya........but where the orignal 250 springs were set to max,was equal to the GS springs set too Min and now I have the GS springs set to 3/4's..the GS spring is proberly 50% bigger diameter and is 50mm wide compared too the 250 spring which is 30mm wide

See thread ''Rear shock for ZXR250C''

jellywrestler
3rd August 2011, 17:52
Yes im fat. get over it. :facepalm:Don't worry about it, Robert Taylors bald and you can diet....

Robert Taylor
3rd August 2011, 18:33
Don't worry about it, Robert Taylors bald and you can diet....

Receding might have been a touch less hurtful Spyda!

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 16:53
How much sag should my old girl have? Is there a percentage?

DEATH_INC.
14th August 2011, 18:57
Generally around 1/3 of the full travel with you on board. It's not real accurate, but as good a starting point as any. But remember the spring rates have to be in the ballpark or no sag setting will be right.

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 19:17
Cheers, will check it now.

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 19:56
Fronts fine but rear is at 45%, thats without my pack rack and gear on.:confused:

Less pies.:no:

Robert Taylor
14th August 2011, 23:28
Fronts fine but rear is at 45%, thats without my pack rack and gear on.:confused:

Less pies.:no:

If you increase preload to get near to 33% sag loaded it will then give you no ''resultant'' free sag, confirming that the spring rate is too soft

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 23:33
If you increase preload to get near to 33% sag loaded it will then give you no ''resultant'' free sag, confirming that the spring rate is too soft

Preload already at max setting.