PDA

View Full Version : DIABLO STRADA TYRES

Sparky Bills
7th July 2005, 09:16
Has anyone used these yet?
They are new on the market.

I just put one on my bike (rear)
Seems real good so far. Very easy to scrub in, and feels great at all lean angles.

If anyone else has some, id love to hear what ya reckon.
Cheers

White trash
7th July 2005, 13:43
and feels great at all lean angles.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Haven't tried 'em but they're supposed to be shit hot. I'm very much a "Devel ya know" type person so'll probably stick with the RaceTecs 'till someone givesme something else to try.

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 14:05
Has anyone used these yet?
They are new on the market.

I just put one on my bike (rear)
Seems real good so far. Very easy to scrub in, and feels great at all lean angles.

If anyone else has some, id love to hear what ya reckon.
Cheers

Not the new ones, but I gave up on the previous model diablos after 4 (f'ing 4!!) punctures in 2 weekends. Mates had similar problems.

Loved the feel of them, hope the new ones are better suited to the conditions. carry a repair kit.

sparrow_34
7th July 2005, 14:55
Be Interested to see how they wear, and what mileage you get. I was thinking about them for when the time comes to get new rubber.

I had 3 punctures on my last set of diablos, all in the rear tyre.

vifferman
7th July 2005, 15:16
This "punctures in the Diablos" thing came up on overseas forums too. I reckon they must be very soft.

Sparky Bills
7th July 2005, 16:04
I must say, I have used the Diablo's since they came out, and have only had 1 puncture.
That was because of a great big nail.

Other than that, ive had no problem with any, and havnt had any customers come back with punctures either.
Where are the punctures happening on the tyre?
Is it the bead or in the middle?

vifferman
7th July 2005, 16:09
I must say, I have used the Diablo's since they came out, and have only had 1 puncture.
I've only ever had one puncture on a bike, and that was a very small nail, that ended up just missing the tread block and going in a groove, in the new Azaro on the back of the FahrtSturm. :mad:

Fortunately Kerry fixed it for free. :niceone:

I've had lots of bits of glass, small metal objects etc. in my tyres since communtering in D'Auckland. You'd think I'd learn to not ride in the gutter.... :whistle:

Hitcher
7th July 2005, 16:34
These are basically a Pirelli-badged version of the Metzeler Roadtec Z6. Many of you will know that I think the Z6s are a great tyre and, given Pirellis ownership of Metzeler, the Stradas should be every bit as good...

Sparky Bills
7th July 2005, 17:00
These are basically a Pirelli-badged version of the Metzeler Roadtec Z6. Many of you will know that I think the Z6s are a great tyre and, given Pirellis ownership of Metzeler, the Stradas should be every bit as good...

They seem to be so far.
Am taking note of how many K's i get out of the rear.
2-3k out of a std set of Diablo's just got too silly.
When going on the track, ill have race tyres, but while on the road.. The Strada's should be sweet.
We will see.

Big Dave
7th July 2005, 17:35

Other than that, ive had no problem with any, and havnt had any customers come back with punctures either.
Where are the punctures happening on the tyre?
Is it the bead or in the middle?

5 punctures in total 1x first rear - 4 x replacement rear.

Note that it was on the Trophy (very heavy bike) and i'm no lightweight.
some were on dirt roads. no foreign objects (apart from me) all in the middle 1/3rd of the rear.

Hitcher
7th July 2005, 21:13
They seem to be so far.
Am taking note of how many K's i get out of the rear.
2-3k out of a std set of Diablo's just got too silly.
When going on the track, ill have race tyres, but while on the road.. The Strada's should be sweet.
We will see.
I used to get 12,000km out of a Z6 rear on my ZRX1200R.

SixPackBack
7th July 2005, 21:25
I used to get 12,000km out of a Z6 rear on my ZRX1200R.

Was that riding it or pushing round the garage, I'm a nana rider and i'v never got more than 8000k's from any tire on any bike [confused]

pritch
7th July 2005, 21:51
These are basically a Pirelli-badged version of the Metzeler Roadtec Z6.

I know there is a tie up with the ownership of the companies but this seems stretching things too far.

Pirelli Diablo Corsas have been rated the best sports/track day tyre around the Metzeler equivalent weren't rated anywhere near that good.

The ordinary Diablo is also a top tyre for its intended use. The Diablo Strada is new and I understand similar to the ordinary Diablo but with greater tead depth intended to fit the "sport/touring" category along with Bridgestone BT020s etc.

All of this is about perceptions really. I would love Diablo Stradas but I wouldn't want Z6s for a wart on my arse. (Please note correct spelling :-)
I know people who swear by Z6s and others, equally knowledable, who wouldn't use them if they were free.

I would take a powerful load of convincing that Pirelli and Metzeler are the same tyre. Maybe one day, but not just yet.

But hey,I've been surprised before...

Lou Girardin
8th July 2005, 08:56
Jeez Louise, I've just checked the cost prices, we're not Pirelli stockists but $100.00 more than a Z6 is over the top. And rec retail of $508.00 for a rear?
I like Pirelli but I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.

Hitcher
8th July 2005, 09:04
Was that riding it or pushing round the garage, I'm a nana rider and i'v never got more than 8000k's from any tire on any bike
I don't nana around too much when riding. I'm pretty diligent about ensuring tyres are inflated to the correct pressures and all that sort of stuff.

Lou Girardin
8th July 2005, 11:28
I don't nana around too much when riding. I'm pretty diligent about ensuring tyres are inflated to the correct pressures and all that sort of stuff.

Isn't it great how long things last when you look after them.

vifferman
8th July 2005, 11:37
I would love Diablo Stradas but I wouldn't want Z6s for a wart on my arse. (Please note correct spelling :-)
I know people who swear by Z6s and others, equally knowledable, who wouldn't use them if they were free.
Can you tell me why?
I'm keeping my options open for when I come to replace the BT-020s on the VFR, and many VFR owners overseas swear by the Z6.
The Bridgestones are very good, but I'm not super keen on the 020 on the front.

Hitcher
8th July 2005, 12:48
Z6s rock. If it wasn't for the unavailability of a 120/70 R18 I'd be running them on the ST right now!

Anybody who condemns them out of hand, especially when they've never ridden on a set, probably doesn't know their arse from their elbow...

Sparky Bills
8th July 2005, 13:19
Was pissing down this morning on my way to work, The Strada held its own very well.
Am very happy with it.
Very little movement and the bike felt stable.
So far so good.

Marknz
10th July 2005, 18:37
After 8600k on the "off the showroom floor" Macadams and with the front scalloped and the rear squaring, and with the Kiwi Rider ride day at Manfield next Saturday, I decided that I'd look at new boots for the Storm yesterday morning.

Popped out to TSS and had a good chat with Stu and Richard and co. and decided to run with these new Pirelli Diablo Strada's. In very little time I was out on the road balanced and fitted for a very good price. Thanks Guys!

Time to scrub them in. Nice quiet jaunt up to Kaitoke to get some heat in them and then just let the bike do it's thing up the 'takas. First impressions were very good.

Today I pushed them a little harder on the hill and they felt very secure and the bike seemed to track a whole lot better both up and down the hill, very confidence inspiring. If you're like me and do more distance riding than race tracking, I think this could be the tyre for you.

I'll drop an update in after the track session next Saturday.

Cheers

pritch
11th July 2005, 20:15
That recommended price of $508 is eye watering. I don't know who would be willing to pay that, but I spoke to a couple of dealers and the price came down to be competitive quite quick.

When the BT 020s wear out I will be back to agonising again.

Marknz
11th July 2005, 21:03
$508 for a rear? Check that out 'cause I can tell you I didn't pay that much.

Lou Girardin
12th July 2005, 10:36
$508 for a rear? Check that out 'cause I can tell you I didn't pay that much.

Recommended retail from the Pirelli distributors.

Toast
15th July 2005, 21:52
Was that riding it or pushing round the garage, I'm a nana rider and i'v never got more than 8000k's from any tire on any bike [confused]

You just gotta use the whole tyre aye, middle and edges, much more efficient that way :whistle: