PDA

View Full Version : Copyright rules - 11 August

fazer
4th August 2011, 13:27
http://3strikes.net.nz/

I have received this link by email. I have not seen anything that has been issued publicly, so could anyone in this field advise myself and others of it's validity? Thanks

Scuba_Steve
4th August 2011, 13:41
http://3strikes.net.nz/

I have received this link by email. I have not seen anything that has been issued publicly, so could anyone in this field advise myself and others of it's validity? Thanks

it's an "activist" group page people against this (yet ANOTHER retarded) law. So it is legit but it is a "Anti" (or sane if you will) not a "Pro" page setup to help people with the retarded law change

bogan
4th August 2011, 16:41
Was one of the bits of legislation they rushed through when they were sitting under urgency due to the christchurch quakes if I recall correctly. Arseholes! :angry:

Waxxa
4th August 2011, 16:43
Then pay for your downloads!

Not everything is free in this world including material on the Internet. Movies and music have been created by artists, produced by the companies and deserve to be paid for their work that gives us pleasure.

What if you were a musician, spend say a year making a CD, had it released through a record label and received no payment or royalties because everyone is downloading it for free and not buying it. How long will you remain a musician for?

Oblivion
4th August 2011, 16:50
Was one of the bits of legislation they rushed through when they were sitting under urgency due to the christchurch quakes if I recall correctly. Arseholes! :angry:

And it was made and designed by US copyright holders. Including the maximum fine.

If this Law fails, I'm gonna laugh my arse off. :innocent:

davereid
4th August 2011, 17:04
Web site is correct. RIAA did a deal. They wrote the law. NZ Govt kissed arse and got it passed, in return the carrot of a free trade agreement was offered. Very few New Zealanders objected to it, in spite of some major issues.

~ You are guilty until proven innocent,
~ Anyone can claim copyright and penalise you but never have to prove that they own copyright
~ You are guilty if you own the internet connection even if you did not do the download
~The Crimes Act makes interception of your telecommunication illegal. Government chose to allow the RIAA to do it anyway without penalty.

I never felt that it was a good thing for the artists etc to have everyone ripping off their hard work.

However, the RIAA have gone overboard, and therefore I cant support the new rules, in fact like all tyranny resistance is almost compulsory.

Suggestions :

Don't use peer to peer, stick with Rapidshare and other file sharing sites rather than peer to peer. - millions of web sites with all you will ever want point you at the files.

Share via those sites yourself to increase the stock.

Use software to anonymise your surfing - look at TOR for firefox. Then you can download and share anonymously, while helping others to do the same.

Go back to the good old days, share with your mates via USB stick or email attachment.

bogan
4th August 2011, 17:04
And it was made and designed by US copyright holders. Including the maximum fine.

If this Law fails, I'm gonna laugh my arse off. :innocent:

Well it isn't going to stop the serious piracy, may stop the more casual downloader, may get a few of the innocent account holders in the shit too. See how it goes I guess. Wonder if they will come down on TV shows / motogp, as it's a lot harder to get them by any legit means.

Scuba_Steve
4th August 2011, 18:34
Then pay for your downloads!

Not everything is free in this world including material on the Internet. Movies and music have been created by artists, produced by the companies and deserve to be paid for their work that gives us pleasure.

What if you were a musician, spend say a year making a CD, had it released through a record label and received no payment or royalties because everyone is downloading it for free and not buying it. How long will you remain a musician for?

Hey if your into older stuff it's not the artist your ripping off thats a newer system to keep the overpaid people in the middle rich, but the likes of Manson couldn't give a shit if you pirate, he gets payed for his album it's the the record company that takes the loss. If they would price shit at an acceptable level I would buy it & I do when it drops to that level in the meantime I will pirate.

Oblivion
4th August 2011, 20:20
I will start paying for everything if they didn't expect us to pay an arm and a leg for it. According to various places, the production cost of producing a music CD has dramatically decreased compared to when they first came out. But the cost saving has not been passed onto the consumers, instead they continue to charge $30 odd dollars for a CD. Even on Itunes where everything is meant to be cheaper, they still charge 1.99 for a song. 2.39 when its popular. In the US they only get charged .99c

Until that happens, I'm just going to listen to free music, and music that I already have.

bogan
4th August 2011, 20:35
I will start paying for everything if they didn't expect us to pay an arm and a leg for it. According to various places, the production cost of producing a music CD has dramatically decreased compared to when they first came out. But the cost saving has not been passed onto the consumers, instead they continue to charge $30 odd dollars for a CD. Even on Itunes where everything is meant to be cheaper, they still charge 1.99 for a song. 2.39 when its popular. In the US they only get charged .99c

Until that happens, I'm just going to listen to free music, and music that I already have.

Fully agree. They could learn a bit from Notch (minecraft creator).

In September 2010, after an impromptu "free to play" weekend, the game had a spike in sales of over 25,000 purchases in 24 hours.[54][55] On January 12, 2011, Minecraft passed 1,000,000 purchases,[9][10] less than a month after reaching Beta. At the same time, the game had no publisher backing and has never been commercially advertised except through word of mouth.[56] By April 2011, Persson estimated that Minecraft had made €23 million (US$33 million) in revenue, with 800,000 sales of the alpha version of the game at €9.95, and over 1 million sales of the beta version at €14.95.[57] On July 1, 2011 Minecraft passed the 10 million registered users mark.[58] As of July 18, 2011, Minecraft had over 10 million registered users, and over 2.8 million purchases.

Maybe they look at all piracy is as lost revenue that would be recovered if piracy was successfully banned :facepalm:

fazer
6th August 2011, 20:36
Thanks for all your replies. Would setting up a VPN account assist in any way?

motor_mayhem
6th August 2011, 22:05
If the vpn server was in another country such as netherlands then yes definitely

craisin
6th August 2011, 23:01
I have been using Ubuntu for about 5 years
I am told Ubuntu doesnt have DRM [Digital Rights Management]
Ubuntu doesnt have a EULA [End User Licence Agreement]
Anyway its not too late to change

craisin
8th August 2011, 09:20
the previous 21 days as stated above starts this thursday according to TV One today

lb99
8th August 2011, 18:51
I have been googling it, and is like nobody really cares about this dodgy law to protect US intrests and how it was passed, we all just roll over and spread em.....:facepalm:

I say fuckem, if we all go fucken nuts and choke the system they might give it up. I cant see the isps being happy about the entire country being banned from the internet.

But we'd need solidarity for that, so it wont work in NZ

pm me with surefire tips if you want :-)

bogan
8th August 2011, 19:02
I have been googling it, and is like nobody really cares about this dodgy law to protect US intrests and how it was passed, we all just roll over and spread em.....:facepalm:

I say fuckem, if we all go fucken nuts and choke the system they might give it up. I cant see the isps being happy about the entire country being banned from the internet.

But we'd need solidarity for that, so it wont work in NZ

pm me with surefire tips if you want :-)

I think in a few other countries a number of people took to deliberately downloading high risk files from locations that were not under their name, like in the street outside politicians houses. Possibly larger institutions as well. Can't remember if it did any good though.

onearmedbandit
8th August 2011, 19:28
How long will you remain a musician for?

Depends. On whether I got into music to make music or whether I did it to become rich.

Oblivion
8th August 2011, 21:35
Depends. On whether I got into music to make music or whether I did it to become rich.

Depends on what preferences you have really. I would say that the majority of hte music now is the later, but I can think of bands that are in it for the music.

Once in a while maybe you will feel the urge
To break international copyright law
By downloading MP3s from file-sharing sites
Like Morpheus or Grokster or Limewire or KaZaA

But deep in your heart you know the guilt would drive you mad
And the shame would leave a permanent scar
'Cause you start out stealing songs and then you're robbing liquor stores
And sellin' crack and runnin' over school kids with your car

So don't download this song
The record store's where you belong
Go and buy the CD like you know that you should
Oh, don't download this song

Oh, you don't wanna mess with the R-I-double-A
They'll sue you if you burn that CD-R
It doesn't matter if you're a grandma or a seven year old girl
They'll treat you like the evil hard-bitten criminal scum you are

So don't download this song
Don't go pirating music all day long
Go and buy the CD like you know that you should

Don't take away money from artists just like me
How else can I afford another solid gold Hum-Vee
And diamond-studded swimming pools
These things don't grow on trees
So all I ask is, "Everybody, please..."

Don't donwload this song (Don't do it, no, no)
Even Lars Ulrich knows it's wrong (You can just ask him)
Go and buy the CD like you know that you should (You really should)

Don't donwload this song (Oh please, don't you do it)
Or you might wind up in jail like Tommy Chong (Remember Tommy)
Go and buy the CD (Right now) like you know that you should (Go out and buy it)

Don't download this song (No, no, no, no, no, no)
You'll burn in hell before too long (and you'll deserve it)
Go and buy the CD (Just buy it) like you know that you should (You cheap bastard)

Pretty much sums it up really.