PDA

View Full Version : End of a GSX1400 - RIP Boris

Mully
4th August 2011, 22:21
*sigh*

Those of you who are my "special friends" on Facebook will be aware of this, but this last Monday, Boris the GSX1400 and I were knocked down the West Coast Road on the commute to work.

Unfortunately, I broke my golden rule ("switch off for a minute, and motorcycling will bite you in the arse") during my pootling and didn't see/sense the 4x4 that decided that my lane was way more awesomer than the lane they were in. Despite some emergency braking and attempting to avoid said 4x4, they managed to clip my front tyre sending me (and Boris) sprawling/spinning down the road.

Boris is fucked - one fork is broken and the other is twisted/bent. Instrument cluster exploded into bits, engine cover ground off, blah blah blah. Insurance has already said it's a total loss. TBH that was obvious from the get-go.

In addition, I owe Mr Shoei and Mr Teknic a letter of thanks for the stellar job their gear did. It appears I smacked my noodle pretty hard on the way down (as evidenced by the damage to the Shoei).

Oh, and by the way, the 4x4 didn't stop. Which was nice of them not to trouble their own insurance on my account.

Plod attended and the local fire brigade sent a truck to sprinkle gravely stuff on Boris' spilt oil.

Long story short, my (almost) immediate thought (my first two were "Ouch!" and "Fuck!" respectively), and one I haven't shied away from since, is that I am unlikely to get another road bike - at least in the short term anyway. An increasing number of "SMIDSY" moments, combined with the fact that I was exceedingly lucky to walk away from the worst of the SMIDSY moments this week. I may get a track bike or a dirt bike in due course.

Mrs Mully also freaked out, and decided that riding isn't for her so therefore her bike will be for sale in due course. If anyone's keen on a Kawasaki Eliminator 250, sing out.

(BTW, did you know ambos will charge you to assess you? ACC only pay if they transport you in their disco bus)

(Oh, and I still went to work - Customs Brokers be tough, yo. My lasagne that Mrs Mully made got a bit shaken up. Still good though*)

(*the secret ingrediant is love)

Grasshopperus
4th August 2011, 22:32
Damn dude, that sucks. Glad you're OK though. Hope they find the mofo who dunnit.

Latte
4th August 2011, 22:36
Bummer , was a nice bike. Considering it's "past life" , to be smidsied seems a shame. Glad you're not hurt, walking away from it is the main thing.

ducatilover
4th August 2011, 23:15
Far out mate that's some seriously shit luck :blink: At least you're walking and didn't bite the 4x4's bumper! Send me some of that luck and lasagne :yes:

Oblivion
4th August 2011, 23:17
Wow... Is it just me or is today not a good day for alot of people. 4 crashes thus far. :gob:

blackdog
4th August 2011, 23:35
I'm glad you're ok Mully. Have a wee whisky mate.

Ronin
5th August 2011, 05:42
Farkin hell. I'm a 'special friend"?

The damage to the helmet says that you did indeed hit something bloody hard indeed. Good helmet that.

Shame about the road riding thing but understandable I guess.

OTOH - Race bike :innocent:

YellowDog
5th August 2011, 06:09
Oh dear. That's really bad. Mr 4x4 needs a special visit from our friend Kharma. She'll sort them out!

Well done for making it to work. It is reassuriung to know that our tax $ are not being wasted on sick leave, though it would be understandable if your focus wasn't it's usual super sharp self :no:

Sorry to hear that you are giving up on two wheeled commuting. Hopefully the summer months will encourage a change of heart, though I sure it's 'her in doors' that will need convincing.

Good luck with sorting out all of the associated crap.

Kiwi Graham
5th August 2011, 06:17
Ouch mate!
Sorry about the beast but glad your ok. Don't suppose there is any chance the 4x4 could be tracked down? Glad you ok though buddy. Those 1400 are awesome bikes but don't take lying down too well eh!
Have you broken the news to Paul yet?

Maha
5th August 2011, 07:12
....bum/poos/weez and damn!
Rider in Black has a nice example that I think he may be looking to sell.
Did you bounce?....:rockon:

BoristheBiter
5th August 2011, 07:19
Glad to hear you are alright and shame about your bike.
Don't give up riding think about all to good times you have had.

Paul in NZ
5th August 2011, 07:40
Glad you are OK - sorry about the accident.... Hard to imagine the cunt in the 4X4 didnt feel the bump...

Oakie
5th August 2011, 07:56
Wow... Is it just me or is today not a good day for alot of people. 4 crashes thus far. :gob:

I managed to avoid mine on the way to work. Woman stopped at a give way in her big 4WD. "She won't go, she won't go" I thought as I approached from her right and then blow me down ... she did go. Out with the picks and managed to pull up safely short because I was watching her 'in case' but still a bit of an adrenaline surge. Oh, she did give me a nice 'smidy' wave which I returned with a waving 'that was naughty' pointer finger.

Crasherfromwayback
5th August 2011, 07:59
Sorry to hear about your nasty biff. Pity absolutely no one got the reg number of the cunt?

wysper
5th August 2011, 18:32
Boris is fucked

Man that is sad news, but I am glad that you managed to walk away.

Those 1400's are top bikes. It is one bike I would like to own some day. It is crap they are no longer making them.

Hopefully after a few deep breaths and a wee dram, you will decide that riding is worth another go.

Heal well.

Mully
5th August 2011, 18:43
Cheers guys.

Send me some of that luck and lasagne

Heh - secret Mrs Mully recipe (the lasagne, not the luck)

Hopefully the summer months will encourage a change of heart, though I sure it's 'her in doors' that will need convincing

Actually no. While she is relieved that I made the decision, she was careful to make sure that she didn't pressure me. Despite my jokes, we have a very balanced relationship like that.

Don't suppose there is any chance the 4x4 could be tracked down?

Plod said if they turned up at a cop shop saying they may have hit someone, every chance. Otherwise not much. And they aren't really going to look, since I wasn't injured. I've been casing the area to see if anyone (even down the road) had cameras that might have been facing the road and captured their plate.

And no, haven't told Paul yet. Eek.

Did you bounce?

Dunno - don't even remember hitting my head, TBH. Going my my gear, I wiggled around on the asphalt a bit - does that count?

skippa1
5th August 2011, 19:11
That sucks man.....shame you have decided not to continue to ride. Sounds like the missus is a gem. Good for you.

Maybe with a bit of time you may have a change of heart. I jumped straight back on after I replaced my write off. I was a bit wired to start with, but back in the groove again.

Katman
5th August 2011, 19:20

And no, haven't told Paul yet. Eek.

This has just taken a turn for the bizarre.

I'm assuming this is Beyond's 14.

I'm fucking speechless.

puddytat
5th August 2011, 19:23
Going racing sounds like a very good compromise/consolation prize:yes:

Mully
5th August 2011, 19:48

I'm fucking speechless.

Well, yes, it was Beyond's 14

And now it's my 14

And next week it will be Protecta insurance's 14, I suppose.

Kiwi Graham
5th August 2011, 20:02

I'm fucking speechless.

To make you speechless Steve would be an enviable quality anyone could posses :yes:

beyond
5th August 2011, 20:25
Mully politely messaged to tell me that loverly 14 is no more. :crybaby::crybaby:
Katman, you're a hoot. No that 14 was not cursed. Run in properly? Yes. Used as it should have been and ridden like it can be? Yes. But well looked after and I know for sure Mully has enjoyed every minute of riding it.

Real shame they aren't making them anymore cos if they were and I got back into biking again it would be a third 14 no questions asked. I've not ridden a better all rounder except the Tuono came pretty close. Just loved the way the Tuono lofts the front at 6-7000rpm in third gear. :yes:

Thankfully Mully seems ok and walkked away from it. Thank God! :)

Big Dave
5th August 2011, 20:31
Very good that you can still type.
Bikes are machines. Next! - ?

Blackshear
5th August 2011, 21:25
Are you the guy that had the delicious black GSX1400 I occasionally saw on Pleasant road/WCR?

:(

Mully
5th August 2011, 21:28
Are you the guy that had the delicious black GSX1400 I occasionally saw on Pleasant road/WCR?

Yep - there is a white/blue one that floats around there too - but I think the black is the nicer paint job.

Blackshear
5th August 2011, 21:32
Yep - there is a white/blue one that floats around there too - but I think the black is the nicer paint job.

Yep, I almost bought one. Still think it looks 10x sexier than my TL... :crybaby:

So...
What kinda track bike are you looking at? If you're anything like my Dad, his knees are half fucked at 47. Too many whoopdy whoops.

Mully
5th August 2011, 21:41
Yep, I almost bought one. Still think it looks 10x sexier than my TL... :crybaby:

So...
What kinda track bike are you looking at? If you're anything like my Dad, his knees are half fucked at 47. Too many whoopdy whoops.

I don't recall seeing a TL on my commute...

Dunno yet - TBC I suppose

Blackshear
5th August 2011, 21:43
I don't recall seeing a TL on my commute...

Dunno yet - TBC I suppose

Unless you were heading north at 6.30 every morning, not surprised.
In any case, I'm going to stay even farther away from that end of WCR.

Spearfish
5th August 2011, 21:45
*sigh*

Boris the GSX1400 and I were knocked down the West Coast Road on the commute to work.

Boris is fucked -

the 4x4 didn't stop.

Long story short, my (almost) immediate thought (my first two were "Ouch!" and "Fuck!" respectively), is that I am unlikely to get another road bike - at least in the short term anyway. An increasing number of "SMIDSY" moments, combined with the fact that I was exceedingly lucky to walk away from the worst of the SMIDSY moments this week. I may get a track bike or a dirt bike in due course.

Mrs Mully also freaked out, and decided that riding isn't for her so therefore her bike will be for sale in due course. If anyone's keen on a Kawasaki Eliminator 250, sing out.

What a shit of a thing, Its great you got away with minimal physical damage considering all the what ifs but the long term affects on both you and Mrs Mully seem unfairly severe. Its a real shame she has lost the enjoyment of riding and your contemplating minimising your riding future, I hope its just temporary.

baptist
5th August 2011, 23:45
Sorry to here this, another westie not riding:bye: driving overhere seems to be getting worse... glad you are ok, sorry to here the 4x4 got away with it... hope if nothing else the driver now understands what driving like a total pratt can do to others... mind you probably won't:angry:

GrayWolf
6th August 2011, 11:35
Glad you walked away Mully,
Dont be too hasty on giving up the bikes..... You may just see a Boris Mk2 in a shop one day soon!

MD
6th August 2011, 14:11
*Long story short,, is that I am unlikely to get another road bike - at least in the short term anyway.
Mrs Mully also freaked out, and decided that riding isn't for her

Sorry to hear someone knocked you off your bike, good news you are OK.

Shame you are thinking about giving up road bikes though. I wont even let my own mistakes put me off road riding, let alone someone else's mistake.

Hope they find the prick in the 4x4

Swoop
6th August 2011, 21:32
Serious bummer Mully!

Perhaps getting a comfy seat and taking a similar time to sit and watch vehicles pass by that spot one morning? The prick may take the same route each day...

(*the secret ingrediant is love)
Ingredient...

Mully
6th August 2011, 22:48
Perhaps getting a comfy seat and taking a similar time to sit and watch vehicles pass by that spot one morning? The prick may take the same route each day...

Mmm, I scoped out the area today looking for CCTV cams that might have been pointing near the road - no luck. Even called into the Mobil to see if any of their cameras would pick up plates on cars - no dice.

Also been keeping an eye out for them on WCR when I'm around but 4WDs aren't unusual in West Auckland - and since no-one seemed to even get a colour of the bastard thing, it's a needle and haystack situation.

bsasuper
7th August 2011, 08:40
I've been using a drift camera on all rides, in case this sort of thing happens.I've got recordings of cagers doing dumb stuff,and that includes cars with flashing lights on top,fluro stripes on side, breaking traction on a secluded back road.

BarBender
8th August 2011, 21:26
Mully politely messaged to tell me that loverly 14 is no more. :crybaby::crybaby:
Katman, you're a hoot. No that 14 was not cursed. Run in properly? Yes. Used as it should have been and ridden like it can be? Yes. But well looked after and I know for sure Mully has enjoyed every minute of riding it.

Real shame they aren't making them anymore cos if they were and I got back into biking again it would be a third 14 no questions asked. I've not ridden a better all rounder except the Tuono came pretty close. Just loved the way the Tuono lofts the front at 6-7000rpm in third gear. :yes:

Thankfully Mully seems ok and walkked away from it. Thank God! :)

Good to hear Mully is ok.
Sad to hear the 14 is no more. That was one special ride.

Paul - Talk soon no doubt.

The Pastor
9th August 2011, 13:48
Im sorry to hear this mate,

oneofsix
9th August 2011, 14:03
Glad to read you OK, pity the 4WD took advantage of your slip in concentration :crybaby:

quattro
10th August 2011, 09:54
Glad you're ok, duderino. Any accident you can walk away from is a good one.

14's are an awesome bike- losing mine would be my worst nightmare, too.

Katman
10th August 2011, 10:24
Any accident you can walk away from is a good one.

Ain't no such thing as a good accident.

Some are just not as bad as others.

baffa
10th August 2011, 11:00
Damn that sucks. Main thing is you're ok, and bonus that it's insured. Biggest annoyance is that the 4wd drove off. How can you do something like that?

I had someone recently jump out of standing traffic into my lane when I was doing roughly 80kms, and stood on the brakes, back wheel skidding and all, and they completely didnt seem to notice me screeching up behind them, until I gave their car a thump on the way past. I'm surprised more bikers dont punch and kick doors on their way past idiot drivers tbh.

Katman
10th August 2011, 11:07
I had someone recently jump out of standing traffic into my lane when I was doing roughly 80kms, and stood on the brakes, back wheel skidding and all, and they completely didnt seem to notice me screeching up behind them, until I gave their car a thump on the way past. I'm surprised more bikers dont punch and kick doors on their way past idiot drivers tbh.

Perhaps you need to start being more aware of your surroundings.

kiwifruit
10th August 2011, 11:57
Tag: I hate katman

imdying
10th August 2011, 12:39
New bike time :D :D

willytheekid
10th August 2011, 12:54
*sigh*
the 4x4 that decided that my lane was way more awesomer than the lane they were in)

SNAP! :facepalm:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/139166-Sideswiped-off-the-highway-by-a-4x4

Sorry to hear about your loss Mully, seems you came off alot worse than I did:yes:

....seems to be a reocurring theme with 4x4s lately(not sharing the road with others etc)....& especially the part where they just drive off :angry:

Get Well mate & once again, Sorry for the loss of Boris