PDA

View Full Version : Opinion piece: How to end the motorcycle sales gloom: Suzuki GSR750 review

Bob
6th August 2011, 02:28
Motorcycle sales throughout Europe continue to worsen, down by 3.2% against the same period in 2010. In the UK, it is "only" a 1.7% drop on last year. But that is 1.7% down on a similar fall in 2010 against 2009, which was another drop on the year before that. The UK motorcycle market is facing hard times; I talk to dealers when I borrow their bikes to road test and the consistent response when I ask how things are going is "Flat". So what can be done to revive sales in the UK - or anywhere else, come to think of it?

Click here to read the full column (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/bob-pickett/how-to-end-the-motorcycle_b_912211.html)

tigertim20
6th August 2011, 04:12
without reading the piece, I think that sometimes a sales attitude is just fucking arrogant. I would love an 04 R1, but I cant afford one right now, no matter how good the sales pitch is, no matter how much I like the bike, or how low the interest is, the fact is, if I cant afford it, you arent going to talk me into the purchase, no matter what extra shit is offered.

Of course sooner or later a manufacturer is going to figure they need to make a cheaper product if they want the sales, but the issue then is, that its unlikely to be better than its predecessors, which, in the second hand market, will now be cheaper than a cheap new bike.

Honestly, I wonder why people (bar competitive racers) even bother buying brand new, when you can get the thing second hand 12-24 months later after its suffered from massive depreciation, but is still very new and up to date. Though I suppose for the second hand market to exist, someone has to buy new.

not really sure what point my ramblings are trying to make, other than, I dont see that retailers CAN affect sales, people who come in can either afford it, AND want it, or they wont, in which case its a no sale regardless of what you do.

I imagine that legislative moves that were bike friendly would have a significantly larger impact than anything the retailers/manufacturers etc could do

gammaguy
6th August 2011, 04:20
without reading the piece, I think that sometimes a sales attitude is just fucking arrogant. I would love an 04 R1, but I cant afford one right now, no matter how good the sales pitch is, no matter how much I like the bike, or how low the interest is, the fact is, if I cant afford it, you arent going to talk me into the purchase, no matter what extra shit is offered.

Of course sooner or later a manufacturer is going to figure they need to make a cheaper product if they want the sales, but the issue then is, that its unlikely to be better than its predecessors, which, in the second hand market, will now be cheaper than a cheap new bike.

Honestly, I wonder why people (bar competitive racers) even bother buying brand new, when you can get the thing second hand 12-24 months later after its suffered from massive depreciation, but is still very new and up to date. Though I suppose for the second hand market to exist, someone has to buy new.

not really sure what point my ramblings are trying to make, other than, I dont see that retailers CAN affect sales, people who come in can either afford it, AND want it, or they wont, in which case its a no sale regardless of what you do.

I imagine that legislative moves that were bike friendly would have a significantly larger impact than anything the retailers/manufacturers etc could do

Its all about environment

Where I am today(Indonesia)motorcycles are a means of transport because cars are often too expensive and the traffic in Jakarta at least is hell on earth.
So they sell a lot of bikes-800 new bikes PER DAY to be exact:yes:

the fact is though in many parts of Europe the motorcycle is a toy, a plaything if you will and as such is at the whims and fancies of buyers who this year could just as easily go buy a sports car or a microlight aircraft

So it needs to be seen for what it is,a luxury market toy for people in some countries,and a necessary means of transport in others.

The fact that Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki and Honda all have factories in Indonesia should tell us all where the Japanese believe their future is headed.

Latte
6th August 2011, 08:06
5 bikes sold at 7.5K must be better than 2 bikes at 9K?

Not if there's no margin at 7.5k. I'd rather have 5k than nothing...

DMNTD
6th August 2011, 08:34
Not if there's no margin at 7.5k. I'd rather have 5k than nothing...

Correct, it's nothing to do with the sale price,it's about the margin.
Personally I believe in 'turn over sales' but never 'devaluing' the product.
In the current environment the best sales tool a salesperson can have is a happy customer saying great things about the customer service and deal they have received from XYZ shop when they're at the pub/cafe.

GrayWolf
6th August 2011, 11:19
Its all about environment
Where I am today(Indonesia)motorcycles are a means of transport because cars are often too expensive and the traffic in Jakarta at least is hell on earth.
So they sell a lot of bikes-800 new bikes PER DAY to be exact:yes:
the fact is though in many parts of Europe the motorcycle is a toy, a plaything if you will and as such is at the whims and fancies of buyers who this year could just as easily go buy a sports car or a microlight aircraft
So it needs to be seen for what it is,a luxury market toy for people in some countries,and a necessary means of transport in others.
The fact that Yamaha Suzuki Kawasaki and Honda all have factories in Indonesia should tell us all where the Japanese believe their future is headed.

Totaly agree with that, People of my age group will remember grandad with a BSA A10/Panther 650 and double adult Watsonian (or similar) The motorcycle was a method of transport. Since the japanese decided to produce sports bikes, (and to be honest we all used to put 'ace bars' clip ons, expansion chambers, dunstall pipes etc on our bikes,,, and even aftermarket 'race fairings') there has been a massive shift away from the UJM concept towards a motorcycle being a 'toy'. Even the HD peons are really only buying into an image. You dont buy a HD for touring ability, handling, performance or reliability.
Maybe the one saving grace for motorcycles in the future is that as oil deposits Do dwindle the cost of fuel is going to be so high that bikes will find a resurgance as actual transport machines in the western world. What I do find intrigueing is when you view these (3rd world) countries India/Indonesia etc the bikes they use are still along the lines of UJM or simple engined bikes, not 14,000?rpm highly strung rockets.

BMWST?
6th August 2011, 12:51
Totaly agree with that, People of my age group will remember grandad with a BSA A10/Panther 650 and double adult Watsonian (or similar) The motorcycle was a method of transport. Since the japanese decided to produce sports bikes, (and to be honest we all used to put 'ace bars' clip ons, expansion chambers, dunstall pipes etc on our bikes,,, and even aftermarket 'race fairings') there has been a massive shift away from the UJM concept towards a motorcycle being a 'toy'. Even the HD peons are really only buying into an image. You dont buy a HD for touring ability, handling, performance or reliability.
Maybe the one saving grace for motorcycles in the future is that as oil deposits Do dwindle the cost of fuel is going to be so high that bikes will find a resurgance as actual transport machines in the western world. What I do find intrigueing is when you view these (3rd world) countries India/Indonesia etc the bikes they use are still along the lines of UJM or simple engined bikes, not 14,000?rpm highly strung rockets.

they will have to re eingineer them as you say...i think my 2 litre diesel car gets better mileage than my r100 gspd..

Motu
6th August 2011, 13:06
Looking at motorcycle sales figures for NZ,there are some brands that are seeing sales increases of hundreds of percent...one I saw at over 500%.

You won't recognise the brand names or find a dealership....but they are selling exceedingly well.

Bob
7th August 2011, 22:19
Correct, it's nothing to do with the sale price,it's about the margin.
Personally I believe in 'turn over sales' but never 'devaluing' the product.
In the current environment the best sales tool a salesperson can have is a happy customer saying great things about the customer service and deal they have received from XYZ shop when they're at the pub/cafe.

Hands up, I messed up the margin figures slightly :facepalm: : 8K rather than 7.5K and there would be a margin (20% off 9K would be 7.5K... or zero return, oops!). So at 8K, there would be a better return on 5 bikes sold than 2 at 9K. And, of course, you are then looking at 5 rather than 2 sets of servicing, possible kit purchases and so forth.

As you say, if the customer is happy and word of mouth about the quality of the service goes out, then that is worth it's weight in gold. Over here in the UK, RIDE magazine does an annual survey - and I know the dealers take their placing in their section very seriously. It covers quality of service etc., so all the things you want from a dealership.