PDA

View Full Version : Back to riding (Heeler)

Heeler
7th August 2011, 11:57
Morning all. New to the forum and looking for advice. I haven't had a bike for a few years and am looking to buy something again. Have had sports bikes in the past but am now looking for something that I can use for commuting to work (Waikato to Auckland - 100k's each way), when it's fine anyway. Would also like to get out for the occasional weekend ride. Given the distance, economy and comfort are at the top of the list. I know I need to get out and ride some to see what I like but wouldn't mind a bit of advice to narrow down my options. Cheers.

yungatart
7th August 2011, 12:02
Choosing a bike is such a personal thing that I would hesitate to recommend anything other than try as many as you can before you buy.
However, I would suggest most strongly that you do a refresher/rider skills/or RRRS course.
Bikes are quicker and technology is better than it was a few years ago..you however, are just older.
Enjoy the journey.

scroter
7th August 2011, 12:13
welcome to kiwibiker
have to agree sorry, almost impossible to decide.
Save some dollars for training. prorider do a bike control skills course which will cost you $249. check there site out www.prorider.co.nz

Supertwin Don
7th August 2011, 12:16
Get on down to the Te Rapa Tavern on a Wednesday evening between about 5-30 and 6-30 and meet up with some of the "Laxed out Rides" crew. This will give you someone to ride with and a chance to talk over "types" of bikes, and maybe get a "sampler" ride or two.
The Te Rapa does a good burger, chips and a drink deal on a Wednesday, as well.

Heeler
7th August 2011, 12:32
Thanks guys. I had a feeling that would be the answer, guess I need to put a bit of time aside before jumping in.

Burgers at Te Rapa sound great

BMWST?
7th August 2011, 14:34
you have also got the adv thing Do you want a bike that is a bit more at home on a gravel road.?ADV types bikes ussually will have a more spacious and upright riding position.The downside is they will have a correspondingly higher seat height

Hortz
13th August 2011, 20:02
I would agree with everyone, if you haven't ridden for a few year most bike have a lot more power nowadays. You will need to consider whether you will be comfortable in an upright position, eg cruiser or laid down eg sports bike.

GrayWolf
14th August 2011, 17:22
I agree with the above posters, go for a skills refresher as a paramount need.
If you are going to do 100k each way I regularly travel 50+ k's to work each way. I'd not look at smaller that 750cc.
You have said you want comfort and distance ability as a preference.
What do you want to spend on the bike? You can pick up low K's 1000cc+ bikes very reasonably priced if you hunt around. (I grabbed my ZZR with 30k for 5.25k)
Old FJ1200 are about (jap import) FZ1000 (fazer). 1200/1250 bandit. GS1400, FJR11/12/1300's all are good all rounders, reliable, well proven motors and able to cover large distances easily... which if its 200k a day, will soon clock up some high milage on any engine.

bluninja
16th August 2011, 23:26
I'm also looking at getting a bike again. I sold my SV650S and RSVR to fund coming back to NZ, and though I should earn some money so that I can buy one.

I'd disagree with Graywolf about having 750+ for a 100km each way commute. I used the SV for 2 years at 105 km each way commute all year round.

Boringly I'm looking at an SV650S cos I know it's fun, and can be worked hard; a DL650 V-Strom for something different, and possibly the GSX650F. Can't justify a 1 litre sports bike financially, or physically (they are just too small for me now), so I'm looking at a middleweight all rounder.

Good luck and have fun choosing.