PDA

View Full Version : RIP Miles

Paul in NZ
9th August 2011, 08:44
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5411846/Hercules-engine-death-shocking-tragedy

I'm just in shock and Vicki bawled her eyes out. Miles was named on the TV News last night and then on line but I thought he deserved a thread of his own. If ever there was a genuine good bugger and an utterly dedicated motorcyclist Miles was it....

Miles was the parts guy at the old Thunderbike in nelson when I purchased my Mk2 all that time ago. He was a mine of useful info and help in those early days and quickly became a mate. He often dropped in on his way north (or south) sometimes staying with us sometimes just visiting for a cold drink.

He gave up the motorcycle business to study aero engineering to give himself a more secure future and really liked it.

Kinda unique looking guy was our Miles. A few big offs had him a bit battered but a nicer, gentler soul you will never find. I just cannot imagine going to a Guzzi rally and not seeing him there... So sad....

RIP mate....

(if anyone knows the family please ask if there is anything we can do to help out)

SPman
9th August 2011, 18:42
Shit - when they said Hercules engine I thought it could be Gavin with his Bristol Freighter Hercules....
Tragic news, none the less.

merv
9th August 2011, 19:07
Paul sorry to hear you knew him and Miles RIP. It was a real bad way to die and I wonder how that could happen.

dangerous
9th August 2011, 19:53
Ohh it can happen allright merv, thing is it should'nt and very really does, bigger chance Miles me or you would bite the big one on the way to or from work.

Cant put the name to a face right now so unsure if Miles and I meet but one thing I know is if Paul rates him, then hes certanily ratable, as My step father said last night (he is a boss in engeneering for ANZ whom own safe air)... if he owned a Guzzi then he would have to had been a good c@#t... thing is Miles owned several. :scooter:

Paul in NZ
9th August 2011, 20:05
What bewilders me is that he was 1000x the biker that most are. Of the dont own a car and my daily rider bike is 35 years old type.... He dies like this and theres a couple of replies to my post. (Thanks BTW) This man rode like a lion.... I'm still desvestated.....

Someone dies doing something stupid on the loop and its all rip bro etc...

Sure - he was a bit of a loner who liked his own company but I'm thinking I'm on the wrong forum..... or life... Industious, talented, a good friend and a gentle soul

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5415839/Engineer-known-for-attention-to-detail

dangerous
9th August 2011, 20:13
No Paul... ya not.
Look you know how it goes around here, and I tell ya this for nothing, one reply on this thread is worth a hunderd on a loop thread... these few posts mean something, the shit on the loop threads mean SFA, posts from those they never knew cos all they want is to be seen saying RIP n shit, you will note I have never said that cos my thoughts to those like Miles are in my head, I dont need to tell others, unlike some do in order to ne noticed.

Paul, you dont get to were you are today with out meeting some awesome people on the way, one things for sure either you or they will die 1st, Im just farking glad it's not you.
Go hard Mr Hunter, ride that Guzzi flat out through them purley gates and make us all Guzzisti prowd.

Stylo
9th August 2011, 20:43
Sad story and , though I never met Miles, I'm sure he was a top bloke ...what a bloody shame and RIP Miles, catch up with you when it's my turn .....

Pussy
9th August 2011, 21:42
Paul, you are dead right! One of Miles' colleagues at SAFE AIR is a very good friend of mine. I was speaking to him on the phone last night. My friend said that Miles was very highly regarded.
RIP, Miles.
And my thoughts go to his friends for their loss.

Crasherfromwayback
9th August 2011, 21:47
Bad scene all round. Horrible way to go. Best wishes to all concerned.

marty
9th August 2011, 22:21
as an aircraft engineer who works at AirNZ, and spends a lot of time around big whirly things and engines that suck a LOT of air very quickly, this is an awful time for reflection and realisation that what we do (or don't do) can kill us. quickly. a very sad day for our profession. RIP Miles.

chasio
9th August 2011, 22:25
I recognise your loss and feel your heart-felt words are a great testament to the man. My condolences to you and all his friends and loved ones.

chanceyy
10th August 2011, 07:19
Paul, it seems the good ones go way before they should, heartfelt condolences to you & Vicki, his family & obviously many friends.

from what I have read it sounds a real tragedy to a top bloke :hug:

willytheekid
10th August 2011, 08:46
Hi Paul....so sorry for the loss of your mate, words cannot replace lost friends, but good memorys ensure there never forgotten-

I believe I met Miles many years ago in nelson (early 90's)....I had a jap 900ninja back then that had blown the oil cooler setup to peices at the start of a south island tourer I was doing with a mate....everyone in nelson I talked to, told me it wasn't repairable and I would be stuck in town for days waiting for parts.:facepalm:
Went to Thunderbike and (I believe) had a talk with Miles, who simply ripped the cooler and oil lines off, and threw them in the bin! lol.
He replaced the whole set up with a looped high pressure oil line (So no oil cooler at all)....simple solution to a big problem.....brilliant!
Bike never missed a beat and the tour was great...all thanks to the nice guy at Thunderbike who charged me a whole $20 bucks for a sollution that had evaded the rest of us.:niceone:

.....he also told me to buy a real bike :laugh:

R.I.P Miles, As Dangerous said "Go hard Mr Hunter, ride that Guzzi flat out through them purley gates and make us all Guzzisti prowd"

Paul in NZ
10th August 2011, 08:57
Yep - Miles will be one person I will genuinely miss....

Still - Somewhere a roundbarrel big block is singing sweet n low and Miles will be flyin... I hope...

Thats Miles on the Left DD looks very road dusty....

dangerous
10th August 2011, 17:03
Thats Miles on the Left DD looks very road dusty.... Yip, I do reconise that look... very much suited to a Guzzi :woohoo:

Tappetcat
10th August 2011, 21:22
Miles is a really special friend and will be missed by many.
For anyone that's interested his funeral is this Friday, 3pm in Marlborough.
Am in touch with his family, will pass on your thoughts.

dangerous
11th August 2011, 05:47
Miles is a really special friend and will be missed by many.
For anyone that's interested his funeral is this Friday, 3pm in Marlborough.
Am in touch with his family, will pass on your thoughts.

Thanks for that TC, and welcome to KB, sorry its under these sercomstances.

Dodgyiti
11th August 2011, 07:36
Yeah, it is a real shame.
Will be thinking of him as we head down to Blenhiem in a few months time.
Never had anything less than the utmost respect for him.
I don't know what else to say really.

Peter and I will still continue with the plans we made with Miles and do it anyway.

NordieBoy
11th August 2011, 07:46
RIP Miles. Never met you but I don't hold that against you.

ThunderBike were the only bike shop around here my brother hadn't worked for so I never really got to meet any of the staff.

dangerous
12th August 2011, 16:55
Hey Paul... you know tall barry with the 1000S, he to says Miles was a darn decent bloke, sadley to be missed.

Tappetcat
13th August 2011, 10:21
Hi to tall barry from my Mk V & me, not seen him in ages. Good to hear his 1000s is still booming and bellowing ...

Miles' farewell yesterday, amazing day. Lots of people, lots of good memories and stories shared, neat photos, bikes & souls were bared. Guzzi music was heard far and wide. Many smiled. Many cried. We talked & laughed, late into the night. Ciao...