PDA

View Full Version : 'B' lanes or bus lanes

Mogwa
9th August 2011, 21:43
When will the authorities accept ALL bus lanes as Bike lanes...........

Seen another bike this morning pulled over in the bus lane onto the motorway....

Then 5 mins later to have 3 cars use the bus lane off the harbour bridge (southbound). Bikes always use this bus lane also but hey they never seem to cut people off. In Queensland 10 years ago i was enjoying 'B' lanes on the mortorway where all riders rode happily ever after.

I dont see the logic in bikes being forced to SPLIT lanes when there is a free lane begging to be used, sensibly of course.

Scotty595
10th August 2011, 10:43

Seen another bike this morning pulled over in the bus lane onto the motorway....

Then 5 mins later to have 3 cars use the bus lane off the harbour bridge (southbound). Bikes always use this bus lane also but hey they never seem to cut people off. In Queensland 10 years ago i was enjoying 'B' lanes on the mortorway where all riders rode happily ever after.

I dont see the logic in bikes being forced to SPLIT lanes when there is a free lane begging to be used, sensibly of course.

My workmate said that she got pulled over on the esmond rd on ramp. She saw the cop waiting there and then decided to go around splitting through the traffic. The cop waived her over and then told her she can ride on the bus lane. (That was a couple of days ago - actually that may have even been yesterday)

st00ji
10th August 2011, 14:08
My workmate said that she got pulled over on the esmond rd on ramp. She saw the cop waiting there and then decided to go around splitting through the traffic. The cop waived her over and then told her she can ride on the bus lane. (That was a couple of days ago - actually that may have even been yesterday)

my understanding was bikes were allowed to use bus lanes on city streets, and the T2 lanes at motorway on ramps. but bus lanes on the motorway itself are out.

when i was living on te atatu peninsula, the on ramp there had a right turning lane coming from the other direction for T2 use only. cops would regularly sit there busting all the knobs trying to skip the queues for the single occupant ramp, rode past them many a time without so much as a glance

Cheshire Cat
10th August 2011, 14:16
I've been told you aren't allowed to use the bus lanes on the motorway but you are on all other roads. I've seen people on bikes pulled up by the po po in bus lanes on the motorway and I've been told by a few friends that they've been ticketed for using the bus lane on the motorway.

Scuba_Steve
10th August 2011, 14:18
my understanding was bikes were allowed to use bus lanes on city streets, and the T2 lanes at motorway on ramps. but bus lanes on the motorway itself are out.

when i was living on te atatu peninsula, the on ramp there had a right turning lane coming from the other direction for T2 use only. cops would regularly sit there busting all the knobs trying to skip the queues for the single occupant ramp, rode past them many a time without so much as a glance

Nope Motorcycles, mopeds, & deadly pedleys can use bus lanes unless they are specifically excluded i.e. it must say something like "motorbikes cannot use this lane" or equivalent

st00ji
10th August 2011, 14:21
Nope Motorcycles, mopeds, & deadly pedleys can use bus lanes unless they are specifically excluded i.e. it must say something like "motorbikes cannot use this lane" or equivalent

cant say i've ever seen such a sign

willytheekid
10th August 2011, 15:00

+1
well quoted Scuba :yes:
I carry (in the tank bag)a printed version of the ChCh city council/nz transport auth rules & regulations page to show the police if I have any problems regarding ths law.
And what do you know...I have used it before!
Got a friendly "wave" from an unmarked patrol car (stuck in traffic) a few months back as I was "tootling" down the bus lane, pulled up beside there passenger window, and they asked "what I was doing in the bus lane", politely advised the two officers it was quiet legal for me to use this lane, they both confured and asked if I was sure about that.
Produced said peice of paper, they read, smiled and shrugged..."Ok, thanks!" was the reply.
Just goes to show, the police are even a bit vague on this law, but if your polite & prepared...no problem! :yes:

(Please remember the law differers depending on the city and if the lane is CLEALY marked "No motorcycle's" etc...check online and learn your local bus lane rules & rights...and print a copy!, could save you a ticket)

chasio
10th August 2011, 15:25

The phrase to look out for is 'Bus Only" or "Buses Only". Use those at your own risk. AFAIK, all Auckland motorway bus lanes are bus only and all other bus lanes are fine to use. No idea for the other cities in NZ.

But examples of rank stupidity exist at several Auckland intersections where there are bike-available bus lanes both before and after the junction, but there are signs saying 'Buses only may proceed straight ahead from left hane" or similar.

For safety's sake I always just straight ride across from bus lane to bus lane, rather than trying to merge in and out of the general traffic lanes. Never had a problem in four years, but I suspect I could easily be pinged by a bobby having a bad day.

JohnJumper
10th August 2011, 15:29
+1
well quoted Scuba :yes:
I carry (in the tank bag)a printed version of the ChCh city council/nz transport auth rules & regulations page to show the police if I have any problems regarding ths law.
And what do you know...I have used it before!

That's a really good idea, might keep one under my seat

willytheekid
10th August 2011, 15:46
That's a really good idea, might keep one under my seat

Cheers, but to be quite honest....I didn't even know we could use bus lanes until very recently :blink:...hence I carry the paperwork (figured If I didn't know this rule, maybe some of the cops didn't either)

Scuba_Steve
10th August 2011, 16:17
The phrase to look out for is 'Bus Only" or "Buses Only". Use those at your own risk.

Yes while AFAIK these are legally & technically acceptable to use as the do not "specificity" (as the law says) exclude any one or more vehicle the councils I here do like to try their luck at the end of the day tho the judge should throw it out but it is a hassle getting to that point

Cheers, but to be quite honest....I didn't even know we could use bus lanes until very recently :blink:...hence I carry the paperwork (figured If I didn't know this rule, maybe some of the cops didn't either)

Yes, despite their job & 'public perception' the cops are as ignorant as 90% of the population when it comes to the law. They for the most part just do what their told.

p.dath
10th August 2011, 17:36

Note that the "bus lanes" on the motorway on the North Shore are officially classified as "special purpose vehicle lanes". As such, motorcycles are not permitted to use them.

Mogwa
10th August 2011, 23:17
Note that the "bus lanes" on the motorway on the North Shore are officially classified as "special purpose vehicle lanes". As such, motorcycles are not permitted to use them.

Is there a sign that says "special purpose vehicle lanes" anywhere? Or is the classification only written in the road code. I havent checked that book in a while. I can understand the busway , but a fancy coloured lane that has no traffic in it while your legally splitting and greatly increasing your risk while doing so....
Bring on a "B" Lane

Maha
11th August 2011, 07:30
I used a red strip to the left of the south bound lanes between Constillation dr and Tristram ave...no one else was using it...:confused:

willytheekid
11th August 2011, 07:52
I used a red strip to the left of the south bound lanes between Constillation dr and Tristram ave...no one else was using it...:confused:

:shit:....then you sir....are in TROUBLE!!! :laugh:

Maha
11th August 2011, 11:29
:shit:....then you sir....are in TROUBLE!!! :laugh:

I am not even sure what the strip is for?
Maybe a now, non used bus lane ?
So it must be for bikes....:wings:

willytheekid
11th August 2011, 12:23
I am not even sure what the strip is for?
Maybe a now, non used bus lane ?
So it must be for bikes....:wings:

:scratch:...maybe it "was" a cycle lane? (there usualy red...arn't they?)...either way, Im with you!...its gotta be for bikes! :scooter:
...its RED so we can go faster lol

p.dath
11th August 2011, 17:49
Is there a sign that says "special purpose vehicle lanes" anywhere? Or is the classification only written in the road code. I havent checked that book in a while. I can understand the busway , but a fancy coloured lane that has no traffic in it while your legally splitting and greatly increasing your risk while doing so....
Bring on a "B" Lane

There is no such sign, and so such legal requirement for there to be such a sign. The designation of the special purpose vehicle lanes that rung alongside of the North Shore motorways is controlled by LTSA regulation, from memory. And they have the legal power to make it whatever they like.

ExpertoCrede
11th August 2011, 23:30
The bus lanes on SH1 north of the bridge are off limits for bikes although many riders take a chance on them however what about the left lane going south across the bridge just south of the bridge, bus only? It's not a dedicated bus lane simply a bridge/ motorway lane. I've seen several riders in that stretch including Biker Cops (not with flashing lights or obviously chasing someone).