PDA

View Full Version : Wellington Region Training Days

Paul in NZ
10th August 2011, 18:16
This Sunday's one is full (I'm on it and yes the weathers looking - erm wet).

The sunday afters one for newer riders is also full( aimed at those who hold a learners or restricted licence and are working towards getting their full licence. )

However, there are others coming up;

In Lower Hutt - Sunday 9 October - for experienced riders

In Wellington - Saturday 17 September - for newer riders, Saturday 1 October - for experienced riders, 5 November for newer riders, 26 November for experienced riders

In Kapiti - 12 November, for newer riders

Newer riders courses are also open to moped/scooter riders who hold a car licence.

Jan Simmonds (Road Safety Coordinator) can take bookings for any of the Hutt or Wellington courses, T 04 570 6730, M 027 480 7206, or Jan.Simmons@huttcity.govt.nz

For the Kapiti course, the contact person is Jane Pearson jane.pearson@kapiticoast.govt.nz 027 555 5854

My course cost me $20 and its a full day. Theory in the am, practise in the pm

Far out - $20 and a few hours of my time? Compared to how long you would be in A&E after a little off and how much you would spend on a helmet its a friggin bargain. Why wouldnt anyone do this?

Come on - summers coming and some of you folks are a bit rusty so pick up the phone and DO it.....

Paul in NZ
11th August 2011, 08:48
Sorry, noticed a mistake in this post, should be November 5 for newer riders, not October 5 (now corrected above)

Come on - got to be a bargain....

theseekerfinds
14th August 2011, 19:02
Just spent an awesome day with Andrew and his off-sider Jason in Lower Hutt completing the course.. practicing emergency braking in the wet is a confidence inspiring event and to everyone who participated in the course I tip my hat to you.. the classroom stuff was loads of interactive fun and apart from having to wear a feather mask and catch a hacky sack on my knees I had an absolute ball..
I thoroughly recommend that anyone who wants to brush up on their riding books a spot on the next course.. It was the best $20 I have spent ever!!

Paul in NZ
14th August 2011, 19:14
Good to see you there man. It was an astonishing value for money day. That course is usually $190 and you can do it via this subsidised scheme for $20??? Outrageous BARGAIN!

Put it this way - If I was to visit you in hospital as you are laying there with a collapsed lung and broken bones thinking of your smashed up bike and tell you, look, I can make this all go away and put everything right for 6 hours of your time and $20 you would LEAP on it right???? Well sign up for one of these courses NOW!

I was stagged how quickly I could pull the Triumph up on a wet surface once I got my head around it.....

For what its worth.... I visited my daughter and her partner before heading home to Kapiti.... Missed the break in the weather and rode home in freezing heavy rain noting how much smoother I was riding and how unstressed I was by it! Hope you got home over the hill before the snow socked in....

theseekerfinds
14th August 2011, 20:52
got over the hill before the snow hit but was at my partner's for a while and when it came time to head home I got to have my first experience riding in snow this evening.. man what a buzz, I was covered in the stuff when I got home..
I reckon this weekend I'm gonna bleed through the front and rear brakes and see if
I can't cure the wooden feel of the rear and just freshen up the fluid throughout.. I had a great time today and will be emailing about the road course Andrew mentioned..

Paul in NZ
15th August 2011, 08:15
Sweet - some brakes are almost naturally 'wooden' due to relative sizes of master cylinder / caliper etc etc etc so dont stress - it seemed to stop OK ;-)

Funny how this thread is soooo quiet and yet accident threads are sooooo busy...

Paul in NZ
15th August 2011, 18:37
This training is subsidised from your rego costs so claim some back by doing the course guys!

I'll sign up for the on road one as well - free training....

sinfull
17th August 2011, 09:27
This training is subsidised from your rego costs so claim some back by doing the course guys!

I'll sign up for the on road one as well - free training.... Brilliant bloody idea this is !
Few i ride with (and myself) could probably do with a bit of this !

Might go into the site and see what i can print off to post on the notice board at the club< Any links Paul ?
Ya wouldn't have to take much out of the course to make it worth $20

Paul in NZ
17th August 2011, 12:20
Brilliant bloody idea this is !
Few i ride with (and myself) could probably do with a bit of this !

Might go into the site and see what i can print off to post on the notice board at the club< Any links Paul ?
Ya wouldn't have to take much out of the course to make it worth $20

I'd either talk to the Hutt Valley lady or check on www.roadsafe.co.nz and see what they say.

Get enough bods together and they may even do a special course just for you and follow up with an on road course. Andrew is a very knowledgable guy but may not relate to the grizzled %1 type too well.... If people can open their minds though he has a lot of knowledge to offer...

sinfull
17th August 2011, 13:21
I'd either talk to the Hutt Valley lady or check on www.roadsafe.co.nz and see what they say.

Get enough bods together and they may even do a special course just for you and follow up with an on road course. Andrew is a very knowledgable guy but may not relate to the grizzled %1 type too well.... If people can open their minds though he has a lot of knowledge to offer...
Cheers Paul, all good with the grizzled look lol, there aint really any that fall into the 1% cat. in our lot !
But the open the mind comment may be the hard sell lol

Thinking of Heidi and I initially, she's only a year into her full and well, i have plenty of bad habbits that could do with a shake up !

oneofsix
17th August 2011, 13:34
Paul, I"M curious as to why you did the one in Hutt and not the one in Kapiti. Was the Hutt one a more advanced course?

Paul in NZ
20th August 2011, 18:42
Sorry - missed your reply.

I didnt know there was a Kapiti one when I booked and it is for newer riders. The one I did was for 'experienced' riders (I've held a cat 6 for 39 years so i guess that qualifies me?)

If you are thinking of doing one - I would totally recommend it. $20? Crazy price and lots of upside....

oneofsix
22nd August 2011, 08:28
I did the Kapiti one with the daughter's boyfriend. They ended up running two, one in the morning for scooters and afternoon for bikes (there was a 150 scooter there). Mixed skill level. I've had the cat 6 for about 20 years but still found it challenging enough. Keep your eyes peeled the council co-ordinator (Jane) was talking about running an advanced on and certainly got a positive response from those present.
I found the advertising was scooter centric and this is how I nearly missed the Kapiti course. A shame as there are so many motorcyclists that commute and otherwise ride on the coast that probably also missed the opportunity. There were only about 8 of us on the motorcycle course which suited me.

Paul in NZ
22nd August 2011, 08:33
Sadly - most motorcyclists are a little resistent to these types of training courses. Its a shame because they do offer considerable value...

oneofsix
22nd August 2011, 08:50
Sadly - most motorcyclists are a little resistent to these types of training courses. Its a shame because they do offer considerable value...

agreed. Watching the guy on the cruiser learn to do the figure of 8's is a tiny space when he thought it would be impossible was interesting, crikey I think most of us on the more sporty bikes thought we were going to have problems never mind the big cruiser. Also practicing emergency braking before you need it is invaluable.

Paul in NZ
22nd August 2011, 12:17
I've often thought that if the effort that goes into moaning about accidents was spent preventing them the world would be a brighter happier place (and cheaper to live in too)

Paul in NZ
26th August 2011, 18:28
Registration forms here

Dlewy88
29th September 2011, 16:49
I went on the september wellington one for begineers well worth $20, Teach you a few things and boosts confidence. You do 2 hours of theory (watching videos etc) and 2 hours of skills

davebullet
29th September 2011, 19:04
Hey Paul,

Do you know if the experienced ones are on road or the same as we did back in August?

Cheers

Quasi
29th September 2011, 19:17
hi Dave,

i did the advanced one a couple of months ago and the morning was in the classroom and the afternoon on road (well an industrial subdivision nearby that was closed off). It was a very good day and we should all do these no matter how many years riding we have had.

Paul in NZ
30th September 2011, 06:30
Hey Paul,

Do you know if the experienced ones are on road or the same as we did back in August?

Cheers

Yup - I think they are - I have not heard about the on road ones yet? I should drop him an email but been a bit frazzled with too much to do and not enough time... But of course I could have done it now intead of writing this... damn - I'm so conflicted.....

SenseiEpu
10th October 2011, 14:26
I've just completed the Experienced Riders' Course and I highly recommend it. Believe me, as a biker, it's the best $20 you'll ever spend. Novice and experienced alike.

So, what are you waiting for!!?

GingerMidget
21st January 2012, 14:05
Kicking an old thread back to life, are these going to happen again? I'm as noob as they come, and I want more than just a BHS before I really get on the road.

PeloNZ
28th June 2012, 16:33
I contacted WCC about future riding courses. They should be running again from August.

RuoskaNZ
31st July 2012, 16:09
Last course I did was a Roadsafe Advanced Refresher Course when I first got onto a road bike in early '10 that was very good and helped a noob liek me out heaps.
Now that I have upgraded am hoping to do a lot more training as I want to be able to do justice to the bike.

Have been looking at their Performance Course, the California Superbike School, one of the upcoming track days or one run by other companies but these are quite expensive and im needing new tyres.
Is there any more info on these council run ones PeloNZ?
Am slightly worried they are filled with scooters? are they?

PeloNZ
7th September 2012, 16:28
I only just found out about these yesterday, but there are more subsidised training courses available: http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/rdstraffic/roadsafety/roadsafety.html

Hoarn
10th September 2012, 17:21
Thinking about doing one of these, not 100% sure which one.

Beginner seems aimed at learner/restricted, and I've had my Full for maybe 4 months, riding every day. I certainly feel more "beginner" than "advanced" though, and will be picking up a new bike in a week or so :woohoo:, that will take a bit of getting used to. Wondering if anyone who has done the advanced course would suggest I do that one, or the beginner one?

Cheers

oneofsix
10th September 2012, 17:26
Thinking about doing one of these, not 100% sure which one.

Beginner seems aimed at learner/restricted, and I've had my Full for maybe 4 months, riding every day. I certainly feel more "beginner" than "advanced" though, and will be picking up a new bike in a week or so :woohoo:, that will take a bit of getting used to. Wondering if anyone who has done the advanced course would suggest I do that one, or the beginner one?

Cheers

I did the beginners after many years riding and still found it worth the effort, I am still to do the advanced. After only 4 months on the full go for the beginners unless you have many years experience and are very good at emergency stops, figure of 8's etc.

mrchips
14th January 2013, 16:37
From the Roadsafe Website ....

A one day course, highly subsidised with the support of Greater Wellington Regional Council.

This course has received great feedback from previous participants!!!

The day is a mixture of theory and practical riding, covering best practise riding techniques for balance and control, braking and skid control, cornering, roadcraft, hazard avoidance, risk management, avoiding crashes and much more.

Usually $230, your investment for this course is only $20 !!!

Places are limited - please book through Roadsafe to secure your place.

An awesome training day for a measly $20, so book a place while you can... linky here (https://bookwhen.com/4jbre/201301260900/8n5)

get in quick else you'll miss out on this one ...........see you there :headbang: