PDA

View Full Version : Police roadside breakdown procedures?

Number One
12th August 2011, 06:35
IS it not police procedure to remove a broken down car completely off of the road upon arrival OR AT LEAST to get all the people out of the car and away from the road?

My 7 year old child was left seated waiting in a car that was hit from behind by a truck (thankfully it just clipped the mirror) going up the Ngauranga Gorge.

The cop stood talking with my new to the country nanny for a solid 5 minutes ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD before this happened, then he freaked out and bullied him into calling a tow truck on his behalf after telling him there were no garages between the Gorge and Porirua (FFS) - So cha ching! THEN THE POLICE towed him up the hill to Newlands BP...which has a bloody workshop. So towey shows up wants to be paid and wants to take car to PORIRUA. Nanny lives in Kelson btw.

Meantime thankfully husband is on the scene - car needs 'clutch fluid', leaky leaky. Top it up few runs back and forth and very happy nanny is able to get to work next two days.

I'll be sending a bill to the Police for the tow payment this will be accompanied by a complaint about how the police had allowed my child to sit in a car while it was in a 'recognised' (the copper said it upon arriving) unsafe position which was then hit from behind by a truck!!!! NOT IMPRESSED.

Thoughts anyone (other than 'go carefully' and all that) before I unleash my white hot rage...? :)

Kickaha
12th August 2011, 06:41
So the nanny had no responsibility to ensure the safety of your child by removing them from the vehicle?

nzspokes
12th August 2011, 06:53
So the nanny had no responsibility to ensure the safety of your child by removing them from the vehicle?

I agree. Kinda the point of the nanny.

And was it the nannys car? Our yours? Why was the car in that condition?

Number One
12th August 2011, 06:57

NO I'm not saying that...

Actually given the kid can be unpredictable he thought it was safest place for the kid and was a bit overwhelmed at breaking down in the middle of a heavily trafficked road. Add to that what sounds like bullish handling by the cop I frankly don't blame him at all.

Police are the ones trained to take care of these situations and in my experience THEY take the lead role for ensuring safety at a scene and generally are very quick to 'sort things'....SO why would you say - cars not safe there we'll tow you off the road a bit and then not do anything until the car gets hit by a truck while the child passenger waits inside it??

RE the car: his, we are fixing it...NOT a big deal. Sure as shit didn't require a bloody tow truck to take it to PORIRUA ffs...seriously that cop must've been from timbuktoo

Trudes
12th August 2011, 06:58
That'd be right, blame the nanny. It's always the nanny's fault, they didn't spend 12 hours in labour and give birth so have no protective instincts.
How many times have I heard that?! (hahaha, I was a nanny for about 12 years and I've heard it all! Not having a dig at you Kick.)
Depending on where the car was and whether there was somewhere safe to stand I would probably stay in the car with a child too. I actually thought it was pretty standard Police advice for folk to stay inside their car to avoid them walking across motorways and such?

Number One
12th August 2011, 07:01
That'd be right, blame the nanny. It's always the nanny's fault, they didn't spend 12 hours in labour and give birth so have no protective instincts.
How many times have I heard that?! (hahaha, I was a nanny for about 12 years and I've heard it all! Not having a dig at you Kick.)
Depending on where the car was and whether there was somewhere safe to stand I would probably stay in the car with a child too. I actually thought it was pretty standard Police advice for folk to stay inside their car to avoid them walking across motorways and such?

I DON'T blame te nanny - he is fab. Re the safe space to be...HEAPS OF IT! Uphill side of the gorge, far far far left lane. The trucker was clearly having a bad day too! lol

On the note of the location - I have seen heaps of breakdowns along this side of the hill and I have noticed that drivers and all their passengers are always stood on the LARGE grassy verge talking to each other. Seemed pretty sensible to me - again if a policeman acknowledges a car is not in a safe position and they must move it why not just do it and WHY leave a kid sat waiting in it if it's so dangerous?

I should clarify...the copper REMOVED the NANNY and NOT THE CHILD....

nzspokes
12th August 2011, 07:04
bullied him into calling a tow truck

Meantime thankfully husband is on the scene - car needs 'clutch fluid', leaky leaky. Top it up few runs back and forth and very happy nanny is able to get to work next two days.

2 points, Police officer was trying to resolve the situation. Did you want the car to stay in the bad position?

If safety was so important why was the car left faulty for two days?

Number One
12th August 2011, 07:11
2 points, Police officer was trying to resolve the situation. Did you want the car to stay in the bad position?

If safety was so important why was the car left faulty for two days?

Where'd you magic 'car left faulty for two days from?' It wasn't faulty for any days leading it just shat itself on the gorge.

Anyway your off the mark and have missed some of the point

Trudes
12th August 2011, 07:11
I DON'T blame te nanny - he is fab. Re the safe space to be...HEAPS OF IT! Uphill side of the gorge, far far far left lane. The trucker was clearly having a bad day too! lol

Should I have said "Not having a dig at you #1" too? I was actually agreeing with you. I know you're not blaming the nanny either. You probably know that generally nanny's have had training to look after children, which is more than can be said for many birthers, and hold first aid certs in child and infant first aid bla blah blah. I also know you wouldn't let any fool look after your child.
Seeing as he parked in a safe place then I would suggest the safest place would be in the car?

Number One
12th August 2011, 07:15
Should I have said "Not having a dig at you #1" too? I was actually agreeing with you. I know you're not blaming the nanny either. You probably know that generally nanny's have had training to look after children, which is more than can be said for many birthers, and hold first aid certs in child and infant first aid bla blah blah. I also know you wouldn't let any fool look after your child.

Sweet babe I didn't think for a second you were having a dig at me :love: AND I knew you KNEW I wasn't blaming him. I wanted to make that clear to OTHERS :laugh:

Seeing as he parked in a safe place then I would suggest the safest place would be in the car?

Unfortunately no - the car stopped on him as he was trying to pull all the way over.... He got as far as he could, but again - the copper commented 'it was not safe' stood on the grassy verge with him leaving the 7 year old in the 'not safely positioned car'.

Trudes
12th August 2011, 07:17
Oh ok, you've added some to the post I quoted of yours, there was somewhere safe they could have gone to stand and the cop and nanny went there and left the child in the car. Hmmm, yeah..... I don't know. I guess if it was me I probably would have taken child with me, but I guess every situation is different. If the cop said the car was in an unsafe position, then yeah, I would've thought he would have got child out of car or have pushed car to a safe position. They have ram bars don't they?

Number One
12th August 2011, 07:21
I guess if it was me I probably would have taken child with me, but I guess every situation is different.

Yeah I THINK I would have too...however again Cops take the lead for safety in these situations and it wasn't until the nanny was out of the car and talking to him on the side of the road that he mentioned about the 'unsafe position of the vehicle'

Now imagine being new to the country, an excitable autie in the car and worrying about explaining the broken down car meaning your inability to show up to work...to ME :lol:

riffer
12th August 2011, 07:22
I blame the truck driver for hitting the car personally.

Easy to be wise in hindsight #1. Other than the munter truckie who hit the car, the rest sounds like the copper and the towie having a bit of a bad day.

And it's not even full moon yet...

Hope R. is okay.

BoristheBiter
12th August 2011, 07:24
Where'd you magic 'car left faulty for two days from?' It wasn't faulty for any days leading it just shat itself on the gorge.

Anyway your off the mark and have missed some of the point

I think he was meaning that even though they knew the car was faulty (after this) they where going to drive around anyway before it got fixed,
"Meantime thankfully husband is on the scene - car needs 'clutch fluid', leaky leaky. Top it up few runs back and forth and very happy nanny is able to get to work next two days."

So as if we don't have enough crap on the roads to contend with, now there is a car that is known to leak clutch fluid still driving on the roads.

Number One
12th August 2011, 07:25
I blame the truck driver for hitting the car personally.

Easy to be wise in hindsight #1. Other than the munter truckie who hit the car, the rest sounds like the copper and the towie having a bit of a bad day.

And it's not even full moon yet...

Hope R. is okay.

Totally and he is ok. Got a fright and was a bit wired for the rest of the night...if you know what I mean....

AND yes - the trucker = BLOODY FACEPALM!!!!!
PROBABLY BLOODY RUBBERNECKING

Number One
12th August 2011, 07:27
So as if we don't have enough crap on the roads to contend with, now there is a car that is known to leak clutch fluid still driving on the roads.

erm again NO the car is now taken care of thanks to US thank you, unfortunately not every vehicle owner has any idea about what their car does or is doing until it shits itself...this was a new to him car too...shit happens too don't ya think?

BoristheBiter
12th August 2011, 07:30
erm again NO the car is now taken care of thanks to US thank you, unfortunately not every vehicle owner has any idea about what their car does or is doing until it shits itself...this was a new to him car too...shit happens too don't ya think?

Yes it does and you might remember this before you go on a complete rant about the police.

pzkpfw
12th August 2011, 07:34
Totally and he is ok. Got a fright and was a bit wired for the rest of the night...if you know what I mean....

AND yes - the trucker = BLOODY FACEPALM!!!!!
PROBABLY BLOODY RUBBERNECKING

In that case, we need pics of the Nanny.

Str8 Jacket
12th August 2011, 07:44

Yes #1.... Pics! lmao..... ;)

nodrog
12th August 2011, 07:48
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_9Sqb6Vhazxg/SojqwfcEzHI/AAAAAAAAIZg/fhLWIyj7rLo/s200/show+me+the+manny.JPG

Trudes
12th August 2011, 07:54
Haha, yes this is true,
Hels and I would like to see pics of your nanny! Did you say Swiss? Or was it Russian? :killingme

Number One
12th August 2011, 08:02
Yes it does and you might remember this before you go on a complete rant about the police.

Complete rant - that was a complete rant :shit: .... time to change your depends gramps I think your wees is chaffing ya bottie a bit much :laugh:

Number One
12th August 2011, 08:02

:lol: it's a DUDE dude ;P

Number One
12th August 2011, 08:04
Yes #1.... Pics! lmao..... ;)

He is a cutie though! If I was a younger, fitter, hotter, richer lass he'd have to look out!

LOL poor thing he is a sweet heart

Trudes
12th August 2011, 08:11
He is a cutie though! If I was a younger, fitter, hotter, richer lass he'd have to look out!

LOL poor thing he is a sweet heart

Oh really, we'll be the judge of that.....
Pics!!!! :lol:

BoristheBiter
12th August 2011, 08:13
Complete rant - that was a complete rant :shit: .... time to change your depends gramps I think your wees is chaffing ya bottie a bit much :laugh:

Yep sounded like a rant to me. if not then meh who cares it's only you that is getting their knickers in a twist. So carry on then as no one cares.

nzspokes
12th August 2011, 08:15
I think he was meaning that even though they knew the car was faulty (after this) they where going to drive around anyway before it got fixed,
"Meantime thankfully husband is on the scene - car needs 'clutch fluid', leaky leaky. Top it up few runs back and forth and very happy nanny is able to get to work next two days."

You got it. Lets look at root causes of problems, not try to blame others. Real issue was the car had a faulty clutch. This fault would have been happening for a long time before it failed. Cant blame the Police for that. :no:

I do wonder what the what she thinks the Officer was to do? Push the car up the hill by hand?:Police:

Trudes
12th August 2011, 08:18
I thought traffic cop cars have those ram bars on the front of their cars for situations like this?

nzspokes
12th August 2011, 08:34
I thought traffic cop cars have those ram bars on the front of their cars for situations like this?

I think its only motorway patrol cars that have that.

pzkpfw
12th August 2011, 09:36
:lol: it's a DUDE dude ;P

I apologise to the forum for my sexist assumption.

Trudes
12th August 2011, 09:45
I think its only motorway patrol cars that have that.

Ahhhh, I see.
Is the gorge not part of the motorway? Maybe it ends at the junction/overpass.

sidecar bob
12th August 2011, 12:12
This is probably just the mechanic coming out in me, But a lack of clutch fluid does not stop a car from moving, to the point where it must be parked up in a dangerous place, In fact, I could probably happily have driven it to Taupo with none.
Sounds all a bit melodramatic to me.

mashman
12th August 2011, 13:03

or perhaps just use an old fashioned tow rope

imdying
12th August 2011, 13:38
You got it. Lets look at root causes of problems, not try to blame others. Real issue was the car had a faulty clutch. This fault would have been happening for a long time before it failed.Bingo, we have a winner.

Next issue is yet another meth fueled truck driver hitting a stationary vehicle.

Number One
12th August 2011, 15:30
Yep sounded like a rant to me. if not then meh who cares it's only you that is getting their knickers in a twist. So carry on then as no one cares.

Actually it seems YOU are the one with your knickers in a twist.

Number One
12th August 2011, 15:43
You got it. Lets look at root causes of problems, not try to blame others. Real issue was the car had a faulty clutch. This fault would have been happening for a long time before it failed. Cant blame the Police for that. :no::

Wasn't blaming the Police for THAT actually AND the car was new to the nanny so yes it probably was happening before this but he didn't know until he couldn't change gears.

I do wonder what the what she thinks the Officer was to do? Push the car up the hill by hand?:Police:

IF you had READ properly you would have seen that the POLICE MAN TOWED HIM UP THE STREET TO A GAS STATION WITH HIS CAR.....after calling a tow truck to take the car all the way to Porirua for fixing.

I apologise to the forum for my sexist assumption.

Not at all! :) sexist assumptions are KB fuel aren't they? :laugh:

This is probably just the mechanic coming out in me, But a lack of clutch fluid does not stop a car from moving, to the point where it must be parked up in a dangerous place, In fact, I could probably happily have driven it to Taupo with none.

Spot on though unfortunately he didn't know about matching the revs so you can get the car back into a gear. Lesson learned on that one but it won't be an issue now.

Once again for those who can't be arsed reading fully...

THE ISSUE I WANT FEEDBACK ON IS: WHAT IS Police procedure for the following situation - Police arrive on scene of breakdown. They tell driver car not in safe position and it must be moved off road. Driver can not do this as car won't go into gear. Police remove driver from car to side of road to 'discuss' leaving child in 'unsafely positioned car' - dumbarse rubbernecking truck driver hits car - action stations now..ooo I better tow you up the hill now!

THIS very well could have been a very sorry incident...thankfully it wasn't in this case

Toaster
12th August 2011, 17:37
If the broken down car was hit by a truck, where was the police car positioned at the time fo the crash? Did it have its warning lights on?

The truck driver is always going to be at fault for his actions.... all drivers need to be able to stop within the length of lane visible.

The principle behind it is that all drivers have to be careful and prudent in the circumstances. If you can't see what is ahead, you have to slow down to compensate. Simple.

DrunkenMistake
12th August 2011, 18:04
You have a .. foreign .. Male .. Nanny?

and your worried about the Cops actions?
:no::no::confused:

BoristheBiter
12th August 2011, 18:05
Actually it seems YOU are the one with your knickers in a twist.

As you were the one that started this thread I would have to say that your knickers are probably a lot my twisted than mine.

Really is it that big a deal?

Str8 Jacket
12th August 2011, 18:09

One should think before one opens ones big huge gob.......

DrunkenMistake
12th August 2011, 18:14
One should think before one opens ones big huge gob.......

One believes you have become their first customer.

oneofsix
12th August 2011, 18:31
Ahhhh, I see.
Is the gorge not part of the motorway? Maybe it ends at the junction/overpass.

Correct the gorge is not motorway. If it was there would be no pushbikes or footpaths. Motorway starts after J'ville turnoff, going uphill, and at the start of the interchange going downhill, where push bikes and footpaths separate off.

Seems there are some very defensive :Police: type people on here :laugh:
The cop fucked up. He wasn't the least bit concerned about the Nannies, kids or other motorists safety, just concerned about having a verbal wank. The truck probably blew his chance to give the Nanny a ticket :laugh:
If the :Police: was so worried about the unsafe car position he should have righted this first then had his verbal wank, event prove the :Police: was correct to worry about the car's position but his actions were wrong! This is another example of the :Police: being used to enforce instead of assist, poor attitude IMO.

Regarding the truck being at fault, maybe, maybe not. How many times have you seen a cager cutoff a truck when it tries to change lanes going up there. Perhaps he took the option to change lanes instead of getting himself stuck on the hill but got cut off and by then the option to stop in time is gone.

Number One
12th August 2011, 19:37

How terrifically ignorant and prejudiced of you

Really is it that big a deal?

UM you tell me? You keep on responding and FTR I've been commando ALL day so no bunching here :bleh: :laugh:

FJRider
12th August 2011, 19:55
... and FTR I've been commando ALL day so no bunching here :bleh: :laugh:

Too much information ... :mellow:

Number One
12th August 2011, 19:58
Seems there are some very defensive :Police: type people on here :laugh:
The cop fucked up.

He wasn't the least bit concerned about the Nannies, kids or other motorists safety, just concerned about having a verbal wank.
If the :Police: was so worried about the unsafe car position he should have righted this first then had his verbal wank, event proved the :Police: was correct to worry about the car's position but his actions were wrong! This is another example of the :Police: being used to enforce instead of assist, poor attitude IMO.

That's what I thought too... and exactly the kind of thinking I was testing out. Thanks for not replying with 'don't say bad stuff about the cops wah wah it might hurt their feelings' or 'fly off the handle with rabid assumptions about the foreign nanny and his lack of mechanical skills' crap. Seems to me there are a whole lotta people on KB who could do with a damn good ROOT :laugh:

FTR there are coppers that I have HUGE respect for and then there are some 'other' cops. The problem is that it would seem the shit arsed ones amongst them make THE MOST NOISE. There aren't many 'good work stories' being told out there about GOOD COPS. Frankly I have had my fill of the 'others' lately.

AND before some dickwad responds with 'if you do the crime don't expect to be handled with kid gloves' - my experiences of shit arsed, arrogant and innappropriate police behaviour were all experienced during our journey as VICTIMS...we were NOT the offenders.

ALSO where was this guy from?? Why tow someone to a gas station in Newlands just to call a tow truck to transport the 'injured' vehicle all the way to PORIRUA.

He was a bully, in the end my nanny couldn't get any information out of him because he just kept railroading his questions and by the sounds of it being an arsehole to him. The Manny is a honey and doesn't say a bad word about anyone - he's ridiculously respectful and mild mannered so I don't believe for a second that he would have given the copper any trouble.

scumdog
12th August 2011, 19:59
UM you tell me? You keep on responding and FTR I've been commando ALL day so no bunching here :bleh: :laugh:

Wow, are we related???:confused::shifty:

Number One
12th August 2011, 20:00
Wow, are we related???:confused::shifty:

tee hee hee perhaps ya shifty nudey fella you :laugh:

onearmedbandit
12th August 2011, 20:26
Whole lot of panty twisting going on in here lol...

scumdog
12th August 2011, 20:32

"Must spread some frikkin rep to the man with the gimpy arm"

OK Fraser, this is your green rep!!:Punk:

Number One
12th August 2011, 20:47

:laugh: How are your panties btw? You'd be a commando man too wouldn't ya? One arm and all that surely one pair of overpants is enough effort?!

onearmedbandit
12th August 2011, 20:52
:laugh: How are your panties btw? You'd be a commando man too wouldn't ya? One arm and all that surely one pair of overpants is enough effort?!

Pah. Pants are for those who care about what other people think of them.

Number One
12th August 2011, 20:58
Pah. Pants are for those who care about what other people think of them.

Are you telling me that wearing pants will raise ones standing among others?! :shit:

scumdog
12th August 2011, 21:08
Are you telling me that wearing pants will raise ones standing among others?! :shit:

If so? - there is hope for me!!

But normally removing the pants reveals the 'standing':woohoo:

Number One
12th August 2011, 21:11
If so? - there is hope for me!!

Oh, well done :laugh:

FJRider
12th August 2011, 21:27

For some of us ... it may cause wetness ... :innocent:

MIXONE
12th August 2011, 21:30
For some of us ... it may cause wetness ... :innocent:

Yes as we piss ourselves laughing.

FJRider
12th August 2011, 21:33
Yes as we piss ourselves laughing.

We aim to please ... :laugh:

Foxzee
12th August 2011, 22:28
Maybe a better PR stance could have been had here and I have seen it done many times, transfer children to the patrol car which should have been parked in a suitable position to alert other motorists of a impending hazard talk with the Nanny roadside, contact people that can assist etc, moving vehicle as far from road as humanly possible. Not all Patrol cars have nudge bars and this presents another situation as if nudge bars are used and cause damage to the other party's car who is liable?
Just thoughts?...so sorry to hear this has happened #1 after every else:love:

Number One
13th August 2011, 14:20
Maybe a better PR stance could have been had here and I have seen it done many times, transfer children to the patrol car which should have been parked in a suitable position to alert other motorists of a impending hazard talk with the Nanny roadside, contact people that can assist etc, moving vehicle as far from road as humanly possible. Not all Patrol cars have nudge bars and this presents another situation as if nudge bars are used and cause damage to the other party's car who is liable?
Just thoughts?...so sorry to hear this has happened #1 after every else:love:

ooo sweetie don't be sorry for me!!! We are all good :) I know pretty well that there's no joy or result to be found from bothering to raise this situation and expect any result....bigger fish to fry...

I love the thought about the police car idea though unfortunately that sick sad fucker I used to call my father groomed our boy to be 'afraid of police'... : ( SO that might have actually created a problem...

tigertim20
13th August 2011, 16:54

agree with this, not the coppers fault. and you are bitching because the copper gave her a tow? umm, that sounds like above and beyond to me

oneofsix
13th August 2011, 17:27
agree with this, not the coppers fault. and you are bitching because the copper gave her a tow? umm, that sounds like above and beyond to me

the cop wasn't interested in the safety of the nanny, other road users or the child in the car. The cop was on an ego trip. The Nanny couldn't make the car safe. The Nanny was ordered to the side of the road by the cop. The nanny could have cosen to remove the child from the protection of the cage but did the cop give him time? Doubt it. It was the cops fault. The cop failed in his duty to safety.

onearmedbandit
13th August 2011, 17:43
the cop wasn't interested in the safety of the nanny, other road users or the child in the car. The cop was on an ego trip. The Nanny couldn't make the car safe. The Nanny was ordered to the side of the road by the cop. The nanny could have cosen to remove the child from the protection of the cage but did the cop give him time? Doubt it. It was the cops fault. The cop failed in his duty to safety.

You seem to know an awful lot about the actual situation. Or my sarcasm-meter is on the blink.

Number One
14th August 2011, 03:23
You seem to know an awful lot about the actual situation. Or my sarcasm-meter is on the blink.

Actually he's on the money given the account of both the nanny and the child.

Might seem spooky but it's not really...you see he actually READ all the information on the thread and then made an informed post...something quite rare in these here parts :laugh:

marty
14th August 2011, 07:20
Fuck there's some opinionated fuckers on here. It's actually #1's fault for not staying home and looking after their own kid. Fucked if i'd let a 'new to NZ' nanny (who may have never driven on the LH side of the road?) drive around with my baby in the car. And even if the cop had have called for a tow truck, how long was the car parked there before the cop even got there? Where was the police car parked? If you have 1/2 a brain and your car breaks down on what (for all intent) appears to be a motorway do you just leave it half out on the road then blame someone else when it gets hit? What would have happened if the cop had towed your car away on a tow rope and the nanny crashed into the back of the police car/lost control/whatever as they had never been subjected to a towing experience? How would the thread read then? Take some personal responsibility ffs.

And no, I can't be fucked paragraphing.

Number One
14th August 2011, 09:31
Sooooo many assumptions.....and no I can't be fucked explaining all the stuff you. Got wrong in your guesses. Defensive much Mr Pork pie? I'm guessing you are a 'boy' in blue based on your seeming hyper sensitivity or perhaps you were the truck driver? :lol:

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 09:33
Maybe you need to buy your Nanny a less crap car.

Root cause of the problem.

Number One
14th August 2011, 10:03

Maybe you need to find something to amuse yourself with TROLL

scumdog
14th August 2011, 10:41
Sooooo many assumptions.....and no I can't be fucked explaining all the stuff you. Got wrong in your guesses. Defensive much Mr Pork pie? I'm guessing you are a 'boy' in blue based on your seeming hyper sensitivity or perhaps you were the truck driver? :lol:

Since he moves 'heavier than air' machines around as a job (from memory) I doubt he fits in the two catagories you've offered.:laugh:

marty
14th August 2011, 11:03

There are about 5 root causes to this - none of them are contained in the OP's first post!

marty
14th August 2011, 11:04

I'd be very interested to hear what exactly I got wrong. :violin:

onearmedbandit
14th August 2011, 16:41
Actually he's on the money given the account of both the nanny and the child.

Might seem spooky but it's not really...you see he actually READ all the information on the thread and then made an informed post...something quite rare in these here parts :laugh:

Yep, given the account of both the nanny and the child. Now where's the account from the police officer, as there are always two sides to every story, and the truth quite often floats somewhere in between...

nzspokes
14th August 2011, 16:48
Yep, given the account of both the nanny and the child. Now where's the account from the police officer, as there are always two sides to every story, and the truth quite often floats somewhere in between...

I agree. I used to work in investigation of incidents/accidents. Its interesting how hard it can be to drill down to root causes. Most involved will only bring up information thats in their own best interest.

Number One
14th August 2011, 18:59
I'd be very interested to hear what exactly I got wrong. :violin:

I agree. I used to work in investigation of incidents/accidents. Its interesting how hard it can be to drill down to root causes. Most involved will only bring up information thats in their own best interest.

:rolleyes: seriously don't you guys have anything better to do?

Think what you like - I've actually moved on since the first couple of my own posts and had even unsubscribed to this thread. If anyones panties are in a bunch it's you three who keep coming back and keep quoting me...is there no one for you to play with elsewhere?

Anyway I have stuff to do - I don't plan to waste any of my time justifying or defending anything to random internet peeps I've never even met.

Hope your evenings improve!:laugh:

imdying
15th August 2011, 09:34
It doesn't surprise me you'd run away, fits with the pattern... Neglectful mothers never seem to have much staying power... cause or effect one wonders. Let me guess, a divorcee to boot?

marty
15th August 2011, 09:43
:rolleyes: seriously don't you guys have anything better to do?

Think what you like - I've actually moved on since the first couple of my own posts and had even unsubscribed to this thread. If anyones panties are in a bunch it's you three who keep coming back and keep quoting me...is there no one for you to play with elsewhere?

Anyway I have stuff to do - I don't plan to waste any of my time justifying or defending anything to random internet peeps I've never even met.

Hope your evenings improve!:laugh:

you subscribe to your own threads? LOL

Number One
15th August 2011, 14:07

No dickhead - if you set up or happen to post in a thread that happens automatically. I said I unsubscribed but lamos keep quoting me because they haven't got anything better to do than to respond to a now completely redundant thread

Maha
15th August 2011, 14:13

I have nine threads started by me in my subscriptions....what of it?:mellow:

Berries
15th August 2011, 15:34
I said I unsubscribed but lamos keep quoting me because they haven't got anything better to do than to respond to a now completely redundant thread
Like this you mean?

MIXONE
15th August 2011, 15:47
It doesn't surprise me you'd run away, fits with the pattern... Neglectful mothers never seem to have much staying power... cause or effect one wonders. Let me guess, a divorcee to boot?

Let me guess,a failed abortion to boot.

Maha
15th August 2011, 15:57
Let me guess,a failed abortion to boot.

He probably has the forehead damage as proof of the attempt.

MIXONE
15th August 2011, 16:00
He probably has the forehead damage as proof of the attempt.

The brain damage is a given.:laugh:

Motorcycle Recovery
16th August 2011, 02:23
IS it not police procedure to remove a broken down car completely off of the road upon arrival OR AT LEAST to get all the people out of the car and away from the road?... Thoughts anyone (other than 'go carefully' and all that) before I unleash my white hot rage...? :)

In almost all of my experiences with breakdowns on main roads and motorways, particularly those involving vehicles in dangerous positions, the police officer has always placed his vehicle in a shielding postion far enough away to warn traffic via the emergency lights. Any children are usually left in the vehicle they are in as they are in less danger "belted in the car" than running around the roadside. Although not ideal, this is always a judgement call on the part of the PO and IMO is sometimes the best course of action. It is worthy to note that a recovery vehicle can be called to remove the vehicle if the officer believes the vehicle "poses a danger" to the occupants of the vehicle or to other motorists. This is almost always done at the owners expense (as it is our responsibility to ensure our vehicles are road worthy at all times). It is also worthy to note that "poses a danger" refers to the situation without the presence of the PO and his vehicle highlighting the danger to approaching traffic.

There are a lot of factors that are not outlined in the OP which could have contributed to the officers actions at the time, the end results of the collision with the truck and also the eventual decision to line tow the vehicle to the service station.
These include the strength of the nanny's accent and his fluency in english (I mean no disrespect by this), his emotional state when the officer first arrived on site, the weather conditions at that time, right down to how heavy the traffic flow was when the truck clipped the wing mirror and the speed it was doing. All of which are irrelevant to us reading it, as each situation is assessed and dealt with at the time it is encountered and is done so on it's own merits.

I'm not wanting to enflame a smoldering thread, simply supplying a possible answer to the question in your original post. The above may not be the exact to the law procedure the police follow, however it is the norm I have encountered whilst out on the road. A breakdown in a dangerous position can easily be one of the most traumatic experiences a person can go through when driving and this is compounded if you are new to a country and unfamiliar with the official procedures. Your nanny would not be the first driver to panic in that situation and by no means will he be the last. You may possibly have to chalk this incident up to experience, if you have not done so already.

-Kevin-