PDA

View Full Version : 2G versus 3G

pzkpfw
13th August 2011, 09:25
In practice any real difference?

I need a new phone; really just want the simplest thing possible, that has bluetooth.

No need for an Android smart phone or such. However, I do like having a "real" keyboard for use when I send the occasional text message.

The cheapest phone I've found with a keyboard is 2G ... and I'm wondering if that will put me in a technology ghetto.

(I'm talking about this one: http://dicksmith.co.nz/product/E6967/samsung-b3410-outright-mobile-phone (in black)).

Gubb
13th August 2011, 09:30
They are good phones. The touch screen is a little slow, but bang for your buck, it's not too bad at all.

3G only really matters if you are going to be using online features, if not, go the old school.

Scuba_Steve
13th August 2011, 09:31
2G, 3G is mostly data relevant. However Telecom do not have a 2G network so I'd say its useless if you wanted to go Telecom

pzkpfw
13th August 2011, 09:38
Thanks for the replies.

(Yeah, I've already got a 2-Degrees SIM I want to keep, so the no-Telecom thing's OK for now.)

Usarka
21st August 2011, 10:45
really just want the simplest thing possible..... No need for an Android smart phone or such.....the occasional text message.

I'm wondering if that will put me in a technology ghetto.

Sounds like you're moving in on your own free will! :laugh:

avgas
21st August 2011, 12:43
However Telecom do not have a 2G network so I'd say its useless if you wanted to go Telecom
May CDMA rest in pieces.
Horrible network.

Virago
21st August 2011, 12:50
May CDMA rest in pieces.
Horrible network.

Funnily enough, while CDMA may be shut down to the public, I'm sure it will remain running in the background - around 98% of Automatic Fire Alarms in New Zealand have their direct connection to the Fire Service via CDMA.

BMWST?
21st August 2011, 15:21
my cdma phone is fine for the moment