PDA

View Full Version : Which is a better choice of bike?

quattro
16th August 2011, 03:31
A 1997 Blackbird with 100,000KM or a 2003 SV1000 with 40000KM? Both in good condition with some touring accessories.

... I ask mainly from the point of view of shifting it on, later. I've whittled my choice of bike down to these two. I've had a 98 Blackbird before and they're pure class. I have 2 Suzukis at the moment so neither choice would be a big departure from what I'm used to.

I've booked flights to Auckland for 01st of October and I'll be bike hunting immediately in that area. I really can't say how long I'll stay but I'll be there on a 1 year working visa. The question really is, if I get a mad notion to go home- which one will be easier to sell?

quattro
16th August 2011, 03:36
I also think that they should be similar money- kinda $6k to $6.5k type thing.

Sable
16th August 2011, 06:04
SV1000. Without question.

TIBLE_90
16th August 2011, 06:23
2nd that, sv1000 will be much easier to sell and seems to be the better of the two due to the comparatively low km's

skippa1
16th August 2011, 08:13
a 100,000km blackbird would be a prick to sell I would say:shit:

Flip
16th August 2011, 08:30

+1

10 car

T.W.R
16th August 2011, 08:37

A London courier would contest that any day of the week :yes: 100k is a virgin compared to some Ks they clock up; would love to see a SV accumulate the same amounts under the same conditions

skippa1
16th August 2011, 11:12
A London courier would contest that any day of the week :yes: 100k is a virgin compared to some Ks they clock up; would love to see a SV accumulate the same amounts under the same conditions

:laugh:hes not buying one off a London courier so your point would be?
<_<and the SV hasnt been ridden under a London couriers conditions either so I'm confused at the logic or lack of
I bet theres a few SV riders that would disagree too:shit:

T.W.R
16th August 2011, 11:19
:laugh:hes not buying one off a London courier so your point would be?
<_<and the SV hasnt been ridden under a London couriers conditions either so I'm confused at the logic or lack of
I bet theres a few SV riders that would disagree too:shit:

Chump... the point was that 100K is sweet FA for a blackbird

the lack of logic is you not understanding the point

Ender EnZed
16th August 2011, 11:41

He's probably not going to be selling it to a London courier either though. It may well be fine but it's going to be a lot harder to sell than an SV with half the km.

skippa1
16th August 2011, 11:42

the lack of logic is you not understanding the point

silly me I should have known that a comparison between apples and oranges is ok because they are fruit after all arent they:shifty:

T.W.R
16th August 2011, 11:43
He's probably not going to be selling it to a London courier either though. It may well be fine but it's going to be a lot harder to sell than an SV with half the km.

yeah but look what the OPs current rides are :shit: he'll get pretty fuckin bored with a SV in a short time

sugilite
16th August 2011, 12:43
I rode a SV, and it was very vanilla with very little character, and the example I rode seemed to have quite top heavy handling traits. My brother in law has that model Blackbird, it is a nice bike with a bit more character than the SV. As long as the blackbird is in good order, it should last many more 1000's of km's. Assuming it is priced at market rates, It has already sunk about as low as it will ever go in the devaluation stakes, so very little money will be wasted when it comes to sell it on.

Lurch
16th August 2011, 12:50
I'f you're planning to move it on then 100,000 on the clock is a big turn off in the market. Also $6.5K would be too much for a 2003 SV1000 with 40k on the clock in my opinion.

For example: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-398583554.htm or even better http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-398659003.htm

Metastable
16th August 2011, 13:20
The SV1000S is a great bike, I had one until I decided to go track only. IMO one of the very best street bikes out there. For track use, the stock suspension isn't the greatest. To make it worse, it can be set up completely WRONG from the factory. However, it is a very easy fix.... especially for an 03. You can throw on a Gixxer 600-1000 shock and stiffen the springs on the front and the handling becomes VASTLY transformed. For street riding, (if you keep the stock stuff) just make sure the settings on the stock equipment are sorta close to what the manual says (with your preload sorted) and it will be more than fine for the street. On the track though I was fighting the stock suspension and I couldn't get the front to settle down (comes with damper) under power.... problem was most likely coming from the rear shock.

As far as kilometers.... I have a VERY good friend that uses his bike for commuting and traveling (has a Gixxer for the track) and it is WAAAY over 100,000kms on the initial engine and it's going strong.

Oh and if you want a little attitude... get some nice cans. Leo Vinces sound super sweet.... and not too loud when under power. The ONLY thing you need to check is to see if the green electrical connector has been fixed.
http://www.sv-portal.com/ Will guide you through it.

jasonu
16th August 2011, 15:38
I also think that they should be similar money- kinda $6k to $6.5k type thing.

$6k for a BB with 100,000kms???? Seriously????

blackdog
16th August 2011, 16:08
I like the BB more, but under the circumstances I think the SV is the better bet for the OP.

The market for the SV is much larger when it comes time to shift it on, and the mileage makes it much more desirable to the average kiwi biker.

You'll get rid of AIDS quicker than you will the Honda.

Maybe something like this would be more suitable?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-400001658.htm

raziel1983
16th August 2011, 16:21
I rode a SV, and it was very vanilla with very little character, and the example I rode seemed to have quite top heavy handling traits. My brother in law has that model Blackbird, it is a nice bike with a bit more character than the SV. As long as the blackbird is in good order, it should last many more 1000's of km's. Assuming it is priced at market rates, It has already sunk about as low as it will ever go in the devaluation stakes, so very little money will be wasted when it comes to sell it on.

I moved from an 01 Bird to a 07 SV1000, And without a doubt the Bird was far far more top heavy (and everything else heavy) than the SV, And yeah the bird is fast as heck, but in reality I found all the power makes it a pretty un-envolving ride..

sugilite
16th August 2011, 16:35
I moved from an 01 Bird to a 07 SV1000, And without a doubt the Bird was far far more top heavy (and everything else heavy) than the SV, And yeah the bird is fast as heck, but in reality I found all the power makes it a pretty un-envolving ride..
The SV I rode needed a good firm hand to initiate the turn, then kinda went plop into the corner, it felt top heavy, but could just be tyres etc, hence the reason I said "the one I rode". The blackbird just felt neutral in the steering department. No debating it is heavier, but did seem to disguise it quite well.

T.W.R
16th August 2011, 16:56
Hypothetically if there were the two bikes together with identical kms etc there wouldn't be any question about it and with what part of the OP mentioned about touring accessories on either bike he is obviously intending seeing some of the country not a scratch around the local stamping ground.

So the BB would win hands down.... better ergonomics for rider & pillion, better luggage carrying capacity, bigger fuel tank & range, superior build quality and it's designed as a hyper-tourer.
What exactly is the SV ? just a bike that doesn't know exactly itself.... it's just a large capacity entry level V-twin, neither here nor there ergonomics for the rider & almost sportsbike perch for a pillion, joe average fuel tank capacity, & a poor attempt at a UJM.

They're both going to chop tyres out at a comparable rate as a equal disadvantage.

Neither bike of the OP's original post are good buying but on a level playing field with two bikes with identical specs (price & Kms) the BB would blitz a SV

Blackbird
16th August 2011, 17:52
I'm a confirmed 'bird lover but although the engine will go on forever, the cycle parts will be tired by now and it's over-priced if it's around $6k. Furthermore, it's a carbed 'bird, not injected if it's '97. You'll always be fiddling to get them synchronised.

The SV is a clear winner!

quattro
16th August 2011, 23:41
Here's my old BB, just to demonstrate my affinity with them :love:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv212/ianoriordan/photo2-1.jpg

Having said that, my head is telling me the SV is the winner (although that Bandit looks pretty swish). We don't get that properly faired one here. I know I've certainly never seen one.

Some other very good suggestions there. How come you can find those on TradeMe and I can't? Is the search function tricky? Must I search for every single combination of 'SV' '1000' 's' 'k3' 'k4' etc?

Metastable
17th August 2011, 00:23
Hypothetically if there were the two bikes together with identical kms etc there wouldn't be any question about it and with what part of the OP mentioned about touring accessories on either bike he is obviously intending seeing some of the country not a scratch around the local stamping ground.

So the BB would win hands down.... better ergonomics for rider & pillion, better luggage carrying capacity, bigger fuel tank & range, superior build quality and it's designed as a hyper-tourer.
What exactly is the SV ? just a bike that doesn't know exactly itself.... it's just a large capacity entry level V-twin, neither here nor there ergonomics for the rider & almost sportsbike perch for a pillion, joe average fuel tank capacity, & a poor attempt at a UJM.

They're both going to chop tyres out at a comparable rate as a equal disadvantage.

Neither bike of the OP's original post are good buying but on a level playing field with two bikes with identical specs (price & Kms) the BB would blitz a SV

You're right. The SV is neither here nor there, that's exactly why it is a great road bike. It can do a bit of everything well. It can be an excellent touring bike with some bar risers and lowering the pegs, and it can be a pretty decent trackbike with some suspension mods. Plus the engine is SOLID will last a long time.

As far as it being "top heavy" and flopping over... funny but that is the exact same feeling I had when I first got the bike from the dealer. When I actually checked the suspension settings they were SOOO far from what was suggested by the manual, that when I put it closer to the manual's settings and I adjusted for preload, things got A LOT better and the turn-in felt much more progressive.

tigertim20
17th August 2011, 01:08
A 1997 Blackbird with 100,000KM or a 2003 SV1000 with 40000KM? Both in good condition with some touring accessories.

... I ask mainly from the point of view of shifting it on, later. I've whittled my choice of bike down to these two. I've had a 98 Blackbird before and they're pure class. I have 2 Suzukis at the moment so neither choice would be a big departure from what I'm used to.

I've booked flights to Auckland for 01st of October and I'll be bike hunting immediately in that area. I really can't say how long I'll stay but I'll be there on a 1 year working visa. The question really is, if I get a mad notion to go home- which one will be easier to sell?

similar money, but one is half as old,and less than half the kays, you do the math!!

ID say the SV, but both pretty different bikes.

quattro
17th August 2011, 01:22
ID say the SV, but both pretty different bikes.

+1

similar money, but one is half as old,and less than half the kays, you do the math!!

But in lots of ways, it's twice the bike and therin lies the issue. The answer that's presenting itself to me at this stage, is stick to the commuter/ bandit/ SV class as they should be more saleable while still being up to the job. I'm sure some would disagree.

I'm kinda lucky too that I'm not that fussy about 'downgrading' from my current bikes. I take it handy no matter what I'm driving.

tigertim20
17th August 2011, 01:48
+1

But in lots of ways, it's twice the bike and therin lies the issue. The answer that's presenting itself to me at this stage, is stick to the commuter/ bandit/ SV class as they should be more saleable while still being up to the job. I'm sure some would disagree.

I'm kinda lucky too that I'm not that fussy about 'downgrading' from my current bikes. I take it handy no matter what I'm driving.

the SV is I think a more saleable bike which was your question. Id have a harder time deciding if you were moving here permanently, and I would ask more questions, but for a relatively temporary bike, the SV I think is the better choice, its probably a slightly better city/commuting bike than the BB, and many people have a thing in there head that when a bike gets to XXX kms,its fucked - not necessarily true, but you need to convince a potential buyer of that, and purchasers more often than not give a higher consideration to the kms on the clock than is deserved. NZhas some twisty as fuck roads, and i suspect tha while the BB willbe more comfy on the highways, the SV will be more fun in exploring the windy bits. But hey, your call!!!

Metastable
17th August 2011, 04:44
But in lots of ways, it's twice the bike and therin lies the issue.

Why is it twice the bike?

The SV is actually better in the twisties... heck it's better at the track... so it's better in the twisties. It is also a fairly easy bike to tour on as well with some minor mods.... BB is better for touring, yes... the the SV is pretty good. In terms of top speed.... ok bb is better, but you're better doing that at the track anyway.... so the SV is better for that. :D

sugilite
17th August 2011, 12:16
Why is it twice the bike?

The SV is actually better in the twisties... heck it's better at the track... so it's better in the twisties. It is also a fairly easy bike to tour on as well with some minor mods.... BB is better for touring, yes... the the SV is pretty good. In terms of top speed.... ok bb is better, but you're better doing that at the track anyway.... so the SV is better for that. :D

I agree with you, A SV would be better in the twisties, but I'm confidant I'd do a better laptime on a BB at a track, as long as it was not a go cart track :lol:

Metastable
17th August 2011, 15:30
http://www.spike.com/video-clips/f3r5af/roadracingworld-com-wins-motost-8-hours-at-daytona-2008
talks a bit about the track limitations of the SV... they still beat out some Aprilias, Ducatis and BMWs. :D

raziel1983
17th August 2011, 20:17
Just to chip in on resale value, I just recently sold my 01 Bird with 73000k in top condition with some nice mods for 5.5k.. Took quite sometime to flick off, had to practically give it away in a $1 reserve auction!

GrayWolf
18th August 2011, 19:41

Quattro,
on Km's alone, I would question the price for a 'bird. I grabbed My ZZR with 30k for 5.25k..... and to be honest, there is bugger all real difference in performance between it and a 'bird. The Zed was nigh on showroom when I purchased it. So I think the 'bird to be highly overpriced with 100,000 on the clock.
Reality also is at 100k? its about halfway through service life approx..... I'd go the SV out of your stated options

imdying
19th August 2011, 08:47
Having had some experience with both, I can tell you that the SV1000 is a piece of boiled cabbage like crap, and the XX eats it for breakfast. The only thing against it is the 100,000km on the clock. If you can beat the price down enough, I'd forget about resale and get that.

Dodgy_Matt
19th August 2011, 09:23
IMO I wouldn’t buy a bike with more than 30k on the clock...
100,000 on the clock is just mental and I am sure there is no resale value.

If you are here to tour a bike with 30-50 is fine and there is some resale value and wouldn’t be much less than you paid for it.
The only real issue is that bikes aint selling. When I was looking for a 600cc bike I spent a few months on the hunt and found one that was a good price and low Km's. I had a look at tradme the other day and 90% of the bikes on there have been there for sale for months! And people are not dropping their prices.... so they just sit...

T.W.R
19th August 2011, 09:51
IMO I wouldn’t buy a bike with more than 30k on the clock...
100,000 on the clock is just mental and I am sure there is no resale value.

:laugh: reality is that the amount of kms on a bike is little indication of what the bike is really like, having worked on plenty of different bikes of all makes over the years I've seen bikes with well in excess of 100000km on the clock that still go like new and the internals looking just like the day they left the factory and at the other end of the scale have seen bikes with sweet FA kms look like they've been to hell and back.
The arse falls out of a bikes value more in the 1st few years of it's life than once they get to what some chumps call old.
Worked on GSX1100ET once that had over 120k on the clock and it still ran sweet as a nut, no wear on the cams, mint comp, & smooth.
The Ex has 93 CBR600 with in excess of 140k and the only indicator of age inside the motor was oil tarnishing on the cases and it still runs like silk
Had a 89 ZXR750 which was nudging 120k when sold and apart from cosmetic wear it went better than new :innocent: & well enough to embarrass bikes that made it look like a dinosaur.
People get too caught up in the capitalist mind fuck of keeping up with the jones' and forget it isn't the number on the odometer that counts it's how the machine is treated in getting those numbers there in the 1st place; and half the ones that make it the be all & end all couldn't ride a hot knife into butter

Dodgy_Matt
19th August 2011, 11:11
:laugh: reality is .... FRAT......

All I am saying dude is there are alot of people who think the same. Its really hard to sell a bike with 100000 on the clock.

T.W.R
19th August 2011, 11:28
All I am saying dude is there are alot of people who think the same. Its really hard to sell a bike with 100000 on the clock.

You're missing the point though, numbers on the odometer aren't an indicator of the condition of a bike :no:
Most who adhere to your point of view usually fall into two camps...those who have money to burn & have to feed their egos with the glitz & glamour of the flashiest toy on the block. And those who aren't mechanically aware and really don't know one end of a bike from the other :no:
There are quite a few here on KB and plenty of old school motorcyclists around the world with bikes that have clocked up well in excess 100k on their bikes and continue to do so and would laugh at the narrow minded view that low Kms means good buying

imdying
19th August 2011, 11:35
You're missing the point thoughHe's not the only one.

narrow minded view that low Kms means good buyingGo read the last sentence of the OPs post, and the first sentence of the second paragraph.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I think you might have it all backwards... it's not the buying that troubles him, but the selling of said bike later. Given that, lower kms are better.

T.W.R
19th August 2011, 11:38
He's not the only one.

Go read the last sentence of the OPs post, and the first sentence of the second paragraph.

Whilst I agree with what you're saying, I think you might have it all backwards... it's not the buying that troubles him, but the selling of said bike later. Given that, lower kms are better.

And the 1st part of my last sentence in post #20 says what?

Dodgy_Matt
19th August 2011, 11:45
You're missing the point though, numbers on the odometer aren't an indicator of the condition of a bike :no:
Most who adhere to your point of view usually fall into two camps...those who have money to burn & have to feed their egos with the glitz & glamour of the flashiest toy on the block. And those who aren't mechanically aware and really don't know one end of a bike from the other :no:
There are quite a few here on KB and plenty of old school motorcyclists around the world with bikes that have clocked up well in excess 100k on their bikes and continue to do so and would laugh at the narrow minded view that low Kms means good buying

Yep I get your point....(I have no money) but those with the knowledge already have their bikes and wont go and out and buy another one...
You have to sell to a market and the market will dictate the price....
And those in the marke for bike at the moment are new to the market and look at things the way I stated.

Let me ask you this... if you have $4000 to buy a bike what would you buy?

T.W.R
19th August 2011, 11:54
Let me ask you this... if you have $4000 to buy a bike what would you buy?

$4k to buy a bike....... easy..... a early model Bandit1200:yes: simple, reliable, robust and one of the easiest engines to work with and tap into more HP for bugger all coin

Dodgy_Matt
19th August 2011, 11:56
$4k to buy a bike....... easy..... a early model Bandit1200:yes: simple, reliable, robust and one of the easiest engines to work with and tap into more HP for bugger all coin

So buying sight unseen Bandit 1200 with 30k or one with 100000k on the clock.

blackdog
19th August 2011, 11:57
if you have $4000 to buy a bike to tour nz on and then resell what would you buy?

1200 bandit. There is no bike better for the purpose, for the money (that I can think of).

T.W.R
19th August 2011, 12:16
So buying sight unseen Bandit 1200 with 30k or one with 100000k on the clock.

If the 30k bike was being sold by a pimply arse 20 something year old & the 100k bike was being sold by a middle aged experienced motorcyclist I'd take the 100k bike. Variables have to taken into account of course but it's a rare event to buy a bike unseen:yes: of the 30+ bikes I've owned over the years only one was brought sight unseen and I wasn't disappointed and on the other side of the coin I've known people who've brought bikes that they thought they'd inspected thoroughly only to have the bike dump it's guts with weeks of purchase brought privately & through dealerships.

Though after a wee memory fart make that two bikes brought sight unseen... one being my old GS1200ss which I referring to above and the second a non running GSX750es that I went over & spruced up and sold on to a mate who still has it and it's still going strong

GrayWolf
19th August 2011, 20:08
...Let me ask you this... if you have $4000 to buy a bike what would you buy?

Would also put the venerable FJ1200 in that bracket as well, almost bulletproof motoer, simple and highly reliable, and high milage.

quattro
19th August 2011, 23:01
...I had a look at tradme the other day and 90% of the bikes on there have been there for sale for months! And people are not dropping their prices...

...bikes aint selling...

Is that the concensus? Could it not be the way that the reasonably priced bikes are toing and froing and the over-priced ones are sitting?

I there a strong 'local trade' or can I take it everything is Trademe?

Dodgy_Matt
19th August 2011, 23:04
Is that the concensus? Could it not be the way that the reasonably priced bikes are toing and froing and the over-priced ones are sitting?

I there a strong 'local trade' or can I take it everything is Trademe?

In all honesty I think money is just a bit tight and people are looking for a bargain….

I took this out two months ago... and its been on trademe since March I think....
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=399781383

T.W.R
20th August 2011, 00:04
Would also put the venerable FJ1200 in that bracket as well, almost bulletproof motoer, simple and highly reliable, and high milage.

Depends on what you're looking for :yes: A FJ is thirstier than a bandit, heavier too, and not as nimble on a tighter road (My 86 FJ11 was a right tank in the slow stuff). A bandit motor is easier to work on and not beyond a reasonably competent home mechanic..screw & lock-nut tappet adjustment is way easier than shims :msn-wink:

And I'd love to see someone pull 30% more Hp out of a FJ engine for under $2.5k, Streetbike did with their project Bandit in 97 :yes: