PDA

View Full Version : the ever popular topic: can I get out of my ticket

pyrocam
8th July 2005, 11:09
now. I checked and checked and checked the ticket when it was issued.
but the 'friendly reminder notice' I received has the wrong address.

Im pretty sure its a bit of a stretch. but worth writing a letter?

and of course its fun to post your speeding tickets on here :)

its newcaster instead of newcastle

bugjuice
8th July 2005, 11:13
I like the money touch..
to be truthful, I don't think it'd be worth it. As long as the reg on the bike, bike details, your details (despite the address) and DOB match up, it's a minor thing that'll just piss them off, and waste everyone's time.. sorry dude..

zadok
8th July 2005, 11:19
Busted! Pay up. $400? How much over were you?
Over here: up to 9 kmph - $50; up to 19 kmph - $100 & 1 demerit etc. Running red lights, failing to stop at stop signs - $150(?) & 3 demerits. 12 Demerits = loss of licence.

MSTRS
8th July 2005, 11:20
The name & address are wrong - but it still got to you? Go figure.

Str8 Jacket
8th July 2005, 11:33

Hey dude, where you pulled over for this offence?? If so then you have absolutely no legal leg to stand on (address wise anyway) and if it was a speed camera offence - which it doesn't appear to be then you MAY be able to dispute it with the police, but all they will do is re-issue it to your "correct" address. At the end of the day you've received it and that's basically where it ends! Ive been working for the Ministry Of Justice for about three years, spent 1 and a half years in fines collection in the contact centre and have come across this situation many many times. Basically you need to sort this with the police BEFORE the due date, but to be quite honest they are just gonna laugh at you. I strongly suggest you just pay up - sorry mate.

XTC
8th July 2005, 11:35
88kmh in a 50?? Why??

crashe
8th July 2005, 12:29
It dont matter a shite if details are wrong....

I had all sorts wrong on my ticket for failing to wear a seatbelt....
AND I WAS WEARING IT. - I had a cop in a real bad mood.

They had wrong addy, name and other things all wrong.
I wrote to wellington to get off it....
The cop took my license that day and still got my middle name wrong on the ticket and other details all wrong.

They sent back a letter with another charge on it... it was WTF is this?
BUT they removed the original charge.

They actually changed the wording around... so at that point I had no idea what I was being charged with... the first ticket or the second.

I went to court and they read out the other charge...
I stood up and said "Thats not what my ticket states.."
They said "well we are reading out what we have in front of us"
so I said "NOT GUILTY to all or what ever charges you are throwing at me".

I went back to court one month later and they threw the charges out the door.

NO FINE and NO COURT COSTS.

Now that was a waste of my time and the courts time.
I spent two days at court to not get charged.

I hope on that day the cop got his hands spanked for wasting everyone's time.

Str8 Jacket
8th July 2005, 12:32
NO FINE and NO COURT COSTS.

Now that was a waste of my time and the courts time.
I spent two days at court to not get charged.

I hope on that day the cop got his hands spanked for wasting everyone's time.

Mate, you were lucky. This is not a "common scenario" sometimes it's just best to pay up - especially when it involves speeding. The Police and the courts do take a dim view of this and aren't always quite so leniant (sp?)

crashe
8th July 2005, 12:37
Mate, you were lucky. This is not a "common scenario" sometimes it's just best to pay up - especially when it involves speeding. The Police and the courts do take a dim view of this and aren't always quite so leniant (sp?)

There was no way that I was gonna pay $150 when I was wearing the seatbelt...

I actually spoke to so many police officers about what had happened, and they all said that it should have just been a warning.

The cop in the courtroom that day turned out to be one of the police I had spoken to. Dont know if he remembered or not....

But I also had pics of my seatblt when its not on....
My metal clip actually sticks out and can be seen from behind when not worn.. A lot of seatbelt clips tend to hang down.

Flyingpony
8th July 2005, 13:00
Even if they got all your details correct, but incorrectly wrote your bike registration details by one letter, they'll just say "Oops, typo error and you'll still have to pay".
Sorry.

Ixion
8th July 2005, 13:24
I had all sorts wrong on my ticket for failing to wear a seatbelt....
AND I WAS WEARING IT. - I had a cop in a real bad mood.

Ah. I've wondered about that. According to received wisdom, cops have a quota to meet (may not apply to general duties ones, not sure) of so many speeding tickets per hour, so many this and that, AND so many "not wearing seat belt" tickets.

But, not wearing seat belt is pretty rare (may be more common in a few areas, but overall). So what happens if PC666 just hasn't ENCOUNTERED anyone not wearing a seatbelt all through his shift ? Big temptation to just decide that someone isn't - be it ot not. Their word against his .

Very sure that 99% of the cops out there would never do that. But even 1% is stiull quite a few, and in any large group there'll always be a 1%. Maybe you met Mr 1%

crazylittleshit
8th July 2005, 13:38
I've tryed to get out of a few tickets in my time not that easy boss.
SORRY I think your going to be paying up. :no:

Biff
8th July 2005, 13:40
I don't know how closely the legal/court system mirrors the UK system, but a typo to an address on any legal documentation is considered as a genuine minor mistake and is therefore admissible in a court in the UK. I say pay it.

scumdog
8th July 2005, 13:50

Fat chance sunshine!!, if that's all it took to get off a ticket everybody would (a) give the wrong address at the time or (b) change address after getting a ticket :rofl:

Lou Girardin
8th July 2005, 14:19
All they have to prove is that you were driving a motor vehicle on a road and committed that offence.
Address on a reminder notice is irrelevant. Sorry.
You're just another contributor to Parliaments retirement fund for tired pollies.

Skyryder
8th July 2005, 19:15

Years ago I got a speeding ticket and the summons arrived after the case was heard in court. I wrote to the court saying that I recieved the summons after the case had been heard and as a result I did not have the chance to defend myself. The result was that I later got a letter saying I did not have to pay the fine.

Now correct me if I am wrong but you say you got a reminder with the wrong address. So how was the reminder notice delivered to you if they had the wrong address? Am I missing something here. Or was the ticket with the wrong address and the envelope with the right one??

Skyryder

Skyryder

Patch
8th July 2005, 20:04
Learn how to beat the system - not how to get out of the system.

Buy a decent radar detector and :motu: da :Police: :Police: :Police:

or

:wait:

Don't :mad: speed.

Easy A :whistle:

pyrocam
8th July 2005, 20:25
hey guys thats for the responses. yeah I figured as much. sigh. oh well.
I called them today and im too rich to pay for it over time. I have 30days from today to pay it.

sigh.

88 in a 50 because I was drying paint....

seriously! I was actually coming home after picking up some more paint from repco on an empty lane on New North Road which is quite a big road.

but still silly me. apparently I was weaving through the traffic too. personally I think I was doing more like 70 but hey I wasnt checking my speedo.

when he pulled me over. "how fast where you Trying to go?"