PDA

View Full Version : Broken down...first time ever. On the motorway

faredce
16th August 2011, 07:27
So interesting experience for me. Heading along the north-western towards the city my bike begins to cough and i lose all power to the throttle then it would burst to life again, only to start coughing and spluttering 2 seconds later.

I began pulling over and ended up coasting to a stop. After getting off my bike I checked the petrol tank (seemed like a no fuel issue to me) no a drop was sloshing around in there, but my fuel gauge still had 2/8 bars!

I called a mate who picked me up and took me to the shell at the bottom of port exit by parnell rise and $51 later had a red tank with some fuel (had to buy one cause the other was being used...$29 for a 10L tank good? i don't know but wasn't in a position to argue)

So we gt back to my bike and i filled it up, after which it wouldnt start.

I may have tryed a few times before my mate arrived and the battery was beginning to die after id filled it and kept trying

so im wondering if any of you know what the problem appears to be? Im wondering if i have maybe flooded the bike now i tryed to get it going for ages. is there a proper way to start a bike after its run dry, how do u get the fuel down the lines so i will start??

My bike got towed to the shore $125....much longer night than i had expected

TIBLE_90
16th August 2011, 07:50
Huh, not sure what the problem was for you. When I had a similar break down it was due to a lack of fuel so that's what I would have assumed was the problem.

Paul in NZ
16th August 2011, 07:57
Sounds like a bit of an experience.....

Since the engine needs air / fuel / spark in the right amounts and time and we didnt run out of air (yet) one assumes it either ran out of gas or sparks or it had both but at the wrong time...

Charge the battery and try it again - if it dont go - its time to visit the dealer (assuming you cant see any wires hanging off it etc)

Either that or some rain / water got in some place it wasnt welcome or useful

nzspokes
16th August 2011, 07:59
My guess very flooded and flat battery.

Sable
16th August 2011, 08:56
Do Hyosungs have vacuum fuel taps?

wanpo
16th August 2011, 09:07
Yeah, they do that.

gijoe1313
16th August 2011, 10:21
Yeah, they do that.

The usual veteran Hyosung rider's remark! :facepalm:

White trash
16th August 2011, 10:40
Sidestand switch.

no_8wire
16th August 2011, 10:45
When you first checked to see the tank was empty/anything left did you also switch the fuel tap to reserve? What was sloshing around could have been your reserve supply?

gale_wolf
16th August 2011, 10:50
Yeah, they do that.

The usual veteran Hyosung rider's remark! :facepalm:
Yeah, I figured I'd find him posting exactly that comment somewhere in this thread. I'm surprised he didn't offer to buy the bike, he's been wanting to get another one for the Hyosung cup...

faredce
16th August 2011, 10:55
When you first checked to see the tank was empty/anything left did you also switch the fuel tap to reserve? What was sloshing around could have been your reserve supply?

there was nothing sloshing at all...I think its flooded by now but im not sure what i need to do to get it running again. Had battey issues awhile back maybe time to replace it

wanpo
16th August 2011, 10:56

No reserve tank or fuel tap on the Hyosungs.

I'd say it's probably just the carbs been completely emptied and taking a while to fill them back up. I remember when I drained them to rejet, after putting everything back together I was about to tear my hair out when it wouldn't start. Took maybe a good 3-4 minutes of constant turning over on the electric start/throttle play to get it started.

I'd say if the battery isn't looking good, hook up some leads, give it some juice, and just let it turn over.

Yeah, I figured I'd find him posting exactly that comment somewhere in this thread. I'm surprised he didn't offer to buy the bike, he's been wanting to get another one for the Hyosung cup...

Oh yeah, I mean your bike's broken beyond repair, I'll buy it for cheap.

faredce
16th August 2011, 11:03
ill have to buy a battery charger prob come in handy lol

at least now i own a petrol container too

faredce
16th August 2011, 11:04
Oh yeah, I mean your bike's broken beyond repair, I'll buy it for cheap.

haha damn thats what i was afraid of

oldrider
16th August 2011, 11:16
Could be a blockage due to low fuel level or even condensate (water) in the fuel!

Cold snap and partly filled tank can cause condensation build up in tank overnight.

How old is the bike, accumulation of shitty deposits in the "high grade" fuel we get here, total fuel line system etc check is probably in order.

Good luck, hope it's a simple as it sounds.

faredce
16th August 2011, 11:21
hmmm maybe time to try my hand at DIY mechanics...not to enlightened in this area of my life but I have more time than money :laugh:

The Pastor
16th August 2011, 11:30
you need to drain the carbs after you run it dry and repeatedly try to start it, open the drains screw and wait till you get a nice constant stream of petrol running out. (one drain screw per carb)

if u do run it dry, let it sit for a good 5 - 10 mins ( along time when on the side of the road) to let the fuel back into the carbs before you try to start it.

faredce
16th August 2011, 11:47
sweet i think i can do that...i think i may have been to impatient
ahh well live and learn

shrub
16th August 2011, 11:49
The solution to flooding is easy. Turn your fuel off or disconnect the fuel lines, then on the bottom of your float bowl you will see a small screw. Undo that and all the fuel in your bowl will drain out, and with it any crud/water etc. Pull your plugs out, put them in a warm place to dry and hook up a set of jumper leads, open your throttle full and wind the bike over for a minute or so. That will clear your engione of any fuel. Put your plugs back in, make sure your float drain plugs are done up and reconnect your fuel lines or turn your tap back on. It should go.

Then you need to use the incredibly accurate fuel guage that all bikes come equipped with - your trip meter. Fill your bike from empty and set your trip meter to zero and take a note of when you go on reserve or your low fuel light comes on. You now know how far your bike will go on a tank so whenever you gas up always reset your trip meter to zero. Then it's just a matter of looking at that and it will tell you how many kms you have left before you need to gas up, so you know that if you have 20kms or so left you know that the next gas station is where you'll be stopping.

wanpo
16th August 2011, 11:57
Then you need to use the incredibly accurate fuel guage that all bikes come equipped with - your trip meter. Fill your bike from empty and set your trip meter to zero and take a note of when you go on reserve or your low fuel light comes on. You now know how far your bike will go on a tank so whenever you gas up always reset your trip meter to zero. Then it's just a matter of looking at that and it will tell you how many kms you have left before you need to gas up, so you know that if you have 20kms or so left you know that the next gas station is where you'll be stopping.

I think from memory I was fuelling up at around 350km to each tank

shrub
16th August 2011, 12:08
I think from memory I was fuelling up at around 350km to each tank

You now know that 175km is half full, 260km is 1/4 full and at around 300k it is time to look for a gas station.

faredce
16th August 2011, 13:10
yea i have checked since now is the best time i always reset at a refill but this bike is new to me...its at 375km..good to know.

That flooding solution seems straight forward even though I am ignorant of the majority of the parts u just spoke of haha

leopardskin
16th August 2011, 13:11
it was my guess you had a Hyosung before i opened the thread - same thing happened to my brother on his '08 250R - he ended up getting a new tank fitted under warranty! will find out from him what the exact problem and repost.

faredce
16th August 2011, 13:12
it was my guess you had a Hyosung before i opened the thread - same thing happened to my brother on his '08 250R - he ended up getting a new tank fitted under warranty! will find out from him what the exact problem and repost.

cheers would appreciate that

leopardskin
16th August 2011, 13:24
his petrol tank down-pipe had a crack in it and there was something else he can't remember, sorry. once he got new tank on it, the bike was good as new and he didn't have any other issues with it. of course, you may have some other prob, but this may be something to consider - if there's a strong petrol smell it might not actually be flooding. i think he was lucky not to have a crispy fried Hyosung!

faredce
16th August 2011, 13:33
im sure it was a petrol issue but once i put more in it i was probly to eager to get it going again (10.30pm freezing cold i just wanted to get home)

but if my battery is knackered ill need to sort that...i think my boss owns a bike battery charger.

I had planned on doing some work to the fairings as well so this maybe as good a time as any to do some work.

ducatilover
16th August 2011, 13:45
Check the plugs.
Charge the battery.
Drain the carb bowls.
Put petrol in it, let it sit for 30min with the petrol cap open (Incase your breather is a little sad, clean it anyway)

Try it again.

If it's no go, check the plugs again and check for spark.
If you have a healthy bule spark, clean the carbs.

I've had similar problems on bikes that don't have a "prime" function on the fuel tap (The three Hondas I have owned have all done this...) and it was just a matter of not being able to pull fuel from the tank to the carbs.

blonky
17th August 2011, 13:20
Have you tried push starting it?

I once ran out of fuel on my 250 spada and it wouldn't start with the electric start - so I got a couple of mates to push me up the road, dumped the clutch and it started fine

NJ83
17th August 2011, 13:48
Hyosung's have a vacuum fuel tap so sitting it will not let the fuel down to the carb's, it will only fill them with the engine running over, hence why it takes so long to start after you run it dry, like the old days of the mechanical fuel pumps on cars

Either keep running it over on a good battery, or pull the hose off the goes fro the fuel tap to the air intake of the carb, suck on it and the tap opens and fuel will flow to fill the carbs...

faredce
17th August 2011, 14:36
im getting a battery charger from my boss tomorrow so will try get her going again tomorrow night...i already have withdrawls :laugh: