PDA

View Full Version : Where the plastic meets the road

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 16:23
Was on my ride out to Warkworth today, whilst going through the really tight and smooth corners with the really nice seal on them i remembered what a fellow KBer had told me about getting your knee down, tried it out and low and behold i got my knee down, and again, and again.

Shit that was fun!

kiwifruit
17th August 2011, 16:41
Timmay !

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 16:47
Timmay?

(10char)

kiwifruit
17th August 2011, 16:48
Timmay!!!!!

Str8 Jacket
17th August 2011, 16:52
Timmay!
Timmay!!
Timmay!!!
Timmay!!!!

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 16:52
Oh.... Timmay!!!

Maha
17th August 2011, 16:53
Timmay?

(10char)

Its Kiwifruit talk for 'Im too sexy for my leathers''...:wari:

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 16:55
Its Kiwifruit talk for 'Im too sexy for my leathers''...:wari:

Reminds me of that song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFzN50S3Te0

Madness
17th August 2011, 16:55
http://www.ecarruthers.com/store/pc/catalog/gi_jandal11.5.jpg

Str8 Jacket
17th August 2011, 16:57
Get yourself to a race track. Only twats ride like that on the road.

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 16:59

Waiting for the ART day in October, and Meh it was fun, no cars around and a nice road.

Str8 Jacket
17th August 2011, 17:03
Waiting for the ART day in October, and Meh it was fun, no cars around and a nice road.

Cars aren't the only danger on the road dude. Also, should you collide with any other number of other things on the road not to mention u-turning motorists then lying in the middle of the road and not being able to move has got to suck. Right? Got it?

And remember, it's not just about you. Its about the people that find you, emergency services and other road users. Being a hero is only cool until you fuck yourself up.

Deano
17th August 2011, 17:04

Noob mistake. You never know when you will meet :Police: doing a u turn.

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 17:09
Noob mistake. You never know when you will meet :Police: doing a u turn.

:dodge:
(10char)

Chancebmx25
17th August 2011, 17:13
Yo good stuff bro. Knee downs are wea its at on sportbikes fk what people ride how u feel if u crash well only u can learn frm it.

Str8 Jacket
17th August 2011, 17:14
Yo good stuff bro. Knee downs are wea its at on sportbikes fk what people ride how u feel if u crash well only u can learn frm it.

Don't get me started on you Deanskid..... :facepalm:

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 17:14
Cars aren't the only danger on the road dude. Also, should you collide with any other number of other things on the road not to mention u-turning motorists then lying in the middle of the road and not being able to move has got to suck. Right? Got it?

And remember, it's not just about you. Its about the people that find you, emergency services and other road users. Being a hero is only cool until you fuck yourself up.

Yea i understand that, though it's by no means at any fast speed, through a corner i can see right through, which i have already checked for any threats, not like i will do it often at all, because then ill need new sliders and there is no need for it around corners, was just to actually do it.

TIBLE_90
17th August 2011, 17:15
better to save that speed for the track, as others have said you never know if a :Police: might be doin a u-turn up ahead

Str8 Jacket
17th August 2011, 17:16
Yea i understand that, though it's by no means at any fast speed, through a corner i can see right through, which i have already checked for any threats, not like i will do it often at all, because then ill need new sliders and there is no need for it around corners, was just to actually do it.

Then try it off a public road. As you start riding more and more you will realise that the shit can hit the fan really fast, especially "while trying new things"..... Seriously, I learn't from my mistakes and they were very painful lessons!!

Take it to the track.

TIBLE_90
17th August 2011, 17:17

oh, my bad didnt see this comment lol. How did u manage to get ur knee down without going at any fast speed?

Deano
17th August 2011, 17:17

Can you please translate this into english ?

Deano
17th August 2011, 17:18
Then try it off a public road. As you start riding more and more you will realise that the shit can hit the fan really fast, especially "while trying new things"..... Seriously, I learn't from my mistakes and they were very painful lessons!!

Take it to the track.

You took it to the track and you're hurting yourself more :laugh:

blackdog
17th August 2011, 17:19
oh, my bad didnt see this comment lol. How did u manage to get ur knee down without going at any fast speed?

You don't need to be going fast. With a little practice you can get down at 15kph around cones in a (empty) carpark.

Str8 Jacket
17th August 2011, 17:19
You took it to the track and you're hurting yourself more :laugh:

:facepalm:

Do as I say, not as I do!

Deano
17th August 2011, 17:21
:facepalm:

Do as I say, not as I do!

Ah, so I'm not the only hypocrite here then :shifty:

Str8 Jacket
17th August 2011, 17:23
Ah, so I'm not the only hypocrite here then :shifty:

At least I have the foresight to do it on other people's bikes..... :facepalm: (again)

Just trying to keep a new (sounds young) rider alive, you can call that hypocrisy if you like.... ;)

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 17:24

Take it to the track.

You make a very valid point, and i'm sure they would be!! Pity you had to learn the hard way!! :no:

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 17:30

body positioning, and haha all good

Deano
17th August 2011, 17:31
Just trying to keep a new (sounds young) rider alive, you can call that hypocrisy if you like.... ;)

Nah all good. Just giving you some for calling me a cunt earlier. :shit:

Str8 Jacket
17th August 2011, 17:34
Nah all good. Just giving you some for calling me a cunt earlier. :shit:

Life is hard when you're a ......

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 17:35

Cunt? :laugh:

Deano
17th August 2011, 17:36

Well you'd know.:mellow:

Str8 Jacket
17th August 2011, 17:37
Cunt? :laugh:
No, ginga.... ;)

Well you'd know.:mellow:

No, I am not ginga..... :shake:

Mom
17th August 2011, 18:25
i got my knee down, and again, and again.

Shit that was fun!

Plonker!

Timmay?

(10char)

Timmay!!!!!

Timmay!
Timmay!!
Timmay!!!
Timmay!!!!

Quite the compliment really :laugh:

Don't get me started on you Deanskid..... :facepalm:

True? Now you mention it, there are similarities.

DrunkenMistake
17th August 2011, 19:02
Was on my ride out to Warkworth today, whilst going through the really tight and smooth corners with the really nice seal on them i remembered what a fellow KBer had told me about getting your knee down, tried it out and low and behold i got my knee down, and again, and again.

Shit that was fun!

Slow down Rossi!

Your mother should be simply ashamed of that comment.

Katman
17th August 2011, 19:04
Be aware you may be referred back to this thread one day.

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:07
Slow down Rossi!

Wasn't a speed thing bro, was going about 30km/h i think it was.

EJK
17th August 2011, 21:10
Sorry I'm abit late....

Tag: Timmay!!!

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:12
Be aware you may be referred back to this thread one day.

Fixed that for you.

And lets hope that it's kept at a maybe then, although, there was no speeding or excessive speed for the corners, had a clear path in front of me and behind me with warm tires. Was simply trying a new cornering technique which keeps more of the tire on the road.

The bigger the contact patch, the more grip i have.

DrunkenMistake
17th August 2011, 21:15
Wasn't a speed thing bro, was going about 30km/h i think it was.

<_< either your hitting 90 degree corners, or your secretly Rossi with a broken speedo.

Timmayyy!!

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:17
<_< either your hitting 90 degree corners, or your secretly Rossi with a broken speedo.

Timmayyy!!

Close to 90degrees, hence the speed, wouldn't bother trying it at high speed on the road, was just seeing whether or not it made a big change in cornering, and I'd always wondered what it would feel like.

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:19
Timmay! Timmay, Timmay, Timmay!

DrunkenMistake
17th August 2011, 21:22
Close to 90degrees, hence the speed, wouldn't bother trying it at high speed on the road, was just seeing whether or not it made a big change in cornering, and I'd always wondered what it would feel like.

Ill stop been a knob for a moment,
When I had my 250 I used to catch my knee a shit load, I found it was due to the lack of clearance more than anything, on the 400 now I think there has been about 5 times when I have been at some ridiculous speed, and you really do notice the difference, your not fighting the bike to get round the corner.

And of coarse all on the track..

Tracks the one with Traffic right?:shifty:

Berries
17th August 2011, 21:29
Fuck em. If you are in control and aware of what is happening around you then good on you.

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:32
Ill stop been a knob for a moment,
When I had my 250 I used to catch my knee a shit load, I found it was due to the lack of clearance more than anything, on the 400 now I think there has been about 5 times when I have been at some ridiculous speed, and you really do notice the difference, your not fighting the bike to get round the corner.

And of coarse all on the track..

Tracks the one with Traffic right?:shifty:

Yea mines a whore to corner, friends have ridden it and been surprised, i used to get my pegs scraping alot, so adjusted my riding position.

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:33
Fuck em. If you are in control and aware of what is happening around you then good on you.

Cheers bro:whocares::rockon::scooter::innocent:

TOTO
17th August 2011, 21:39
Good on you for trying new things. Motorcycling is all about having fun and you are obviously doing that.

Like the others said, save it for the track or the car park. Doing shit like that on the road has ended up in disaster in the past even if the individuals taught that they had taken the variables out of the equation.

DrunkenMistake
17th August 2011, 21:40
Yea mines a whore to corner, friends have ridden it and been surprised, i used to get my pegs scraping alot, so adjusted my riding position.

Get yourself some boots with toe sliders,
and try keep the little steal pins on the bottom of your pegs on, they act like a slider.

MadDuck
17th August 2011, 21:42
.... tried it out and low and behold i got my knee down, and again, and again.

Way to go. I do that every time I head up to Warkworth too. :shifty:

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:44

HAHAHAHA that would be quite a stretch!!!! :laugh:

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:45
Get yourself some boots with toe sliders,
and try keep the little steal pins on the bottom of your pegs on, they act like a slider.

Yea wouldn't mind some new boots, haven't done it since i adjusted my cornering position, and my pegs are all rubber...owell, i haven't done that for a while either

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:48
just out of curiosity, did anyone pick up the Meatloaf reference, or am i the only fan?

Grantman_
17th August 2011, 21:49

Shit that was fun!

Mate I hear you. Talk about the tripling the riding addiction. Once you start you can't stop. You've just taken a jump forward in your cornering ability and you feel it. Nothing wrong with getting your knee down on the open road if the turns are tight and the conditions right. I've scraped my way through 2 sets of sliders canyon riding the Mangamukas over the last few months since I first started. Save the fun for an annual track day 100s of k's away? Doubt it. I started riding this year to get some fun outside work and knee down = big fun. In fact, no knee down has started to = boresville.

Take it incrementally, and make sure there's a good gap of cars in front if you're in blind canyons.

Timmmaaay stop that fun, stopit! Where's my kidgloves?
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJ00EQ5ePvc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BJ00EQ5ePvc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

EJK
17th August 2011, 21:51
Tag: Katman Bait

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 21:59
Tag: Katman Bait

:laugh: :shit: Oh no the almighty KATMAN, he rides through the black of the night, looking out for unsuspecting prey, coming out of the shadows he rolls on up to preach his godly word.

nosebleed
17th August 2011, 22:07
Fixed that for you.

And lets hope that it's kept at a may be then, although, there was no speeding or excessive speed for the corners, had a clear path in front of me and behind me with warm tires. Was simply trying a new cornering technique which keeps more of the tire on the road.

The bigger the contact patch, the more grip i have.

Fixed that for you.

tigertim20
17th August 2011, 22:07

youtube knee down vids, youll find lots of vids of poeple getting a knee down on 250s in big empty car parks, at a very very low speed. knee down doesnt necessarily require a great deal of pace.

ellipsis
17th August 2011, 22:10
:laugh: :shit: Oh no the almighty KATMAN, he rides through the black of the night, looking out for unsuspecting prey, coming out of the shadows he rolls on up to preach his godly word.

...does he?..

The Singing Chef
17th August 2011, 22:10
Fixed that for you.

:shifty:........

Str8 Jacket
18th August 2011, 07:19
youtube knee down vids, youll find lots of vids of poeple getting a knee down on 250s in big empty car parks, at a very very low speed. knee down doesnt necessarily require a great deal of pace.

Speed doesn't kill - the impact does. Speed aint my problem - treating the road like you're the only one on it is.

I broke my tailbone racing and I was going slower than I would have been riding the same (type) of bike to work. When things go wrong at any speed it can hurt or eesult in death! I know I have been to waaay to many funerals in my lifetime.

skippa1
18th August 2011, 08:33
Knee down is fun. So is wheelie (I never got any fun out of stoppie). Just remember, everything has to be right. Good tyres, right pressures, suspenders adjusted correctly, dry road and khama on your side.
Ive seen stoats run accross the road, hawks come in from the side, germans driving on the wrong side around blind corners....:shit:
Not saying dont do it, that would be very hypocritical of me, however make sure what you can control is good and expect the the unexpected.:mellow:
My experience is that it is a fine line between upright and not and it isnt nice watching your pride n joy sliding down the road:no:

Deano
18th August 2011, 10:18
My experience is that it is a fine line between upright and not and it isnt nice watching your pride n joy sliding down the road:no:

It shouldn't be a fine line - if it is then you're pushing too hard. The track is where it is at for 'fine line' riding.

sinfull
18th August 2011, 10:23
Who's up there ?

skippa1
18th August 2011, 10:25
It shouldn't be a fine line - if it is then you're pushing too hard. The track is where it is at for 'fine line' riding.

dragging a knee on the road isnt a fine line?:shit:Riding a motorcycle is a fine line dont kid yourself

Katman
18th August 2011, 10:29
Riding a motorcycle is a fine line dont kid yourself

Bullshit.

It's how they're ridden that creates the fine line.

skippa1
18th August 2011, 10:33
Bullshit.

It's how they're ridden that creates the fine line.

mmmmmmm semantics:laugh:

Deano
18th August 2011, 10:51

dragging a knee on the road isnt a fine line?:shit:Riding a motorcycle is a fine line dont kid yourself

There's no mention of knee dragging in your first post so I took it that you think ALL riding is a fine line, which you've confirmed in your last post.

If you think it is such a fine line between keeping upright and not, then you're doing it wrong bro. You shouldn't be riding such a fine line on the road, cause one day your luck will run out.

I'm no saint - I give it a nudge on the road on occasion, but I very rarely feel that I'm on a fine line.

ducatilover
18th August 2011, 11:06
What a poofter. I got my arse and elbow down the other week.

People also need to understand that knee down does not mean you're going fast, I can do it easily at a moderate pace. I don't though, I have way cooler shit to do, like crash and stuff.

skippa1
18th August 2011, 11:06
There's no mention of knee dragging in your first post so I took it that you think ALL riding is a fine line, which you've confirmed in your last post.

If you think it is such a fine line between keeping upright and not, then you're doing it wrong bro. You shouldn't be riding such a fine line on the road, cause one day your luck will run out.

I'm no saint - I give it a nudge on the road on occasion, but I very rarely feel that I'm on a fine line.

my intention was to point out that there are so many variables, that dont include your setup, personal skill levels, tyres etc and that dragging a knee carries a greater risk of crossing that fine line....in the course of riding my bike i dont feel like i am on a fine line, however i know it exists and certain behaviours place you closer to it.

Katman
18th August 2011, 11:10
Riding a motorcycle is a fine line dont kid yourself

Then this line shows you don't understand what 'semantics' is.

ducatilover
18th August 2011, 11:24
It's a word that is spelt the same regardless of it being singular or plural.

skippa1
18th August 2011, 11:26

maybe....maybe not. but i know what a dickhead is:laugh:

Devil
18th August 2011, 12:02
Typically people who get their knee down on the road have all kinds of body position problems.
Like that video, thats crap body position. Shifting your arse right off the seat, twisting around while leaving your head and upper body over the tank will only increase the risk of losing the front.

Deano
18th August 2011, 14:35
Shifting your arse right off the seat, twisting around while leaving your head and upper body over the tank will only increase the risk of losing the front.

Hey that's White Trash's riding style.

Actually I think he did lose the front a fair bit. But he was bloody fast !

White trash
19th August 2011, 14:39
Hey that's White Trash's riding style.

Actually I think he did lose the front a fair bit. But he was bloody fast !

Hmmmm, what's this "was" bullshit. Couple of different ways to skin a cat really.

Str8 Jacket
19th August 2011, 14:42
Hmmmm, what's this "was" bullshit. Couple of different ways to skin a cat really.

Looks like you had your most serious face on, on the pit bike!

White trash
19th August 2011, 14:49
Looks like you had your most serious face on, on the pit bike!

Street Magic with fucked front suspension. There was a fair bit of wheel chatter when riding it like that. Not fun.

But I was pissed, which made it acceptable.

Deano
19th August 2011, 15:02

Yes - you're hanging off a lot in photo 1.

I didn't mean 'was' as in you are not anymore, simply that you 'was' fast when racing. But you knew that anyway.

Devil
19th August 2011, 15:15

Sort your shit out and you could be proper fast ;)
:laugh:

White trash
19th August 2011, 15:19
Sort your shit out and you could be proper fast ;)
:laugh:

I was always the fastest in the "Pissed People Riding Street Magics" Class.

Grantman_
29th August 2011, 21:18
Like that video, thats crap body position. Shifting your arse right off the seat, twisting around while leaving your head and upper body over the tank will only increase the risk of losing the front.

Nope. Nothing wrong with my riding position matey. The rear camera fools you. Fooled me initially.

Meanwhile I continue to enjoy myself following Lee Park's principles of correct form, although, as has been said, there's more than one way to skin a cat.