PDA

View Full Version : Anyone help diagnose this problem?

Brayden
20th August 2011, 16:11
So took the bike out on the motorway for the first time since its been fixed today. Unfortunately I've noticed a bit of a problem and it's kind of scaring me quite a lot.

If I'm riding on the motorway and leaning into a turn at speed, if I go over a bump the bike will wobble from left to right for a second. It feels like something is very out of balance between the front or right or in the steering or something.

For example if I'm leaning a bit to the right and hit a bump, the bike will wobble left to right like the frame is warping left to right like a flexi ruler. At one point it was wobbling so badly after I hit a bump (at quite a high speed) that I had to let off the accelerator as it felt like it was gunna get worse and fling me off the bike.

The faster I go the worse it get's.

Also not sure if this is related but I've noticed a strong bumping sound from the front forks if I go over a large bump such as going onto a drive way etc, almost like the forks are bottoming out?

Didn't have these problems before and it's kind of scaring me as I think the crash I had might have seriously fucked my bike. I recently also got my front wheel straightened, could it be off and cause this wobbling after the bump?

Help appreciated.. Cheers

slofox
20th August 2011, 16:13
Sounds a little like a tank slapper (the wobble bit)...

Wheel alignment? Steering head bearings all adjusted correctly? Frame not bent?

KoroJ
20th August 2011, 16:50
Your bump on the front shocks tends to indicate that that's where the problem is.

Cornering like a fish can be due to soft suspension, broken spokes, bad load balance (eg some pack-racks put the load high and behind the rear wheel) or dodgy swing arm bearings.

Sounds like you need to have the front shocks checked.

Brayden
20th August 2011, 16:55
Goddamnit this bike is turning out to be a pain in this fuckin ass.. Maybe I should sell for parts and get my car license.. Bikes are too damn expensive!

Mind you if I had ridden with a WOF none of this would have been a problem......

slofox
20th August 2011, 17:08
Mind you if I had ridden with a WOF none of this would have been a problem......

You said it kiddo...:whistle:

Besides, it might still have happened - depends on what exactly the problem is.

DrunkenMistake
20th August 2011, 17:12
Slow down then Rossi..

Nah just pulling ya leg,
Will be caused by the suspension, could possibly need new springs in the front and maybe put your rear shock up a few more clicks on the preload

Brayden
20th August 2011, 17:27
You said it kiddo...:whistle:

Besides, it might still have happened - depends on what exactly the problem is.

Yeah except the insurance company would have payed for the repairs, not me :laugh:

Pussy
20th August 2011, 17:36
Might be something as simple as an under-inflated front tyre.
Checked your tyre pressures?

boman
20th August 2011, 17:43
Might be something as simple as an under-inflated front tyre.
Checked your tyre pressures?

Yup check this first. Also do one thing at a time, not a whole lot. Then you will slowly eliminate the problem. Fix something, take for a ride. IF no improvement, check something else. If you do end up at a shop, then you can tell them what has been done. Saves you money, and saves them doing the same things you have already done.

bogan
20th August 2011, 17:43
You have a center stand? Put it on that and get a mate to lean on the back so the front wheel is off the ground. Check for movement from the headstock bearings, check for play in the wheel bearings, check for play in the forks themselves, spin the wheel and make sure it is running true. Put front down and repeat tests for the rear. Post up results.

Probly check the tyre pressure as Pussy says first ;)

Also, what was your crash? and what work was done to fix it?

Mom
20th August 2011, 17:45
Check your tyre pressures. Be the most likely thing causing the problem. You would be amazed how much an under inflated tyre makes the front end wobble.

Paul in NZ
20th August 2011, 17:53
Happy to take a squizz at it. We are in kapiti though....

slofox
20th August 2011, 17:58
Yeah except the insurance company would have payed for the repairs, not me :laugh:

Ahhhh..rrrright. You have a point!

Brayden
20th August 2011, 18:25
Was gunna actually check the tyre pressures today but forgot. Will fill em up tonight and report back, I'll laugh at myself if this is the actual problem : DD

Metastable
21st August 2011, 00:36
I'd start off with the tires. Then go to a flat empty area and take your hands off and see if the bike pulls. That might give you a little insight. If the easy to check stuff doesn't do much, make sure your frame isn't cracked.

ducatilover
21st August 2011, 01:23
You have a center stand?

Spada's were too cool for center stands...and some dick put a balancing box under the sump...

Tyre pressures are very important on the Spada, I found anything under 32-33psi on the front of mine and it was very unstable in the front. I was running 36 or so in the front and experimented with 34-38 in the rear, cannot remember what I ended up with though sorry (I only put 130,000km on it :laugh: )

It'd be good to know what the crash was, pics are fun too.

scumdog
21st August 2011, 05:17
Cornering like a fish can be due to soft suspension, broken spokes, bad load balance (eg some pack-racks put the load high and behind the rear wheel) or dodgy swing arm bearings.

Sounds like you need to have the front shocks checked.

Shoot, My Harley handles like the above but without the above faults...:confused:

Anyhoo, what are your steering head bearings (A thing they check for a WOF, possibly a good reason to have it at least checked for a WOF) or your swing-arm bushes like for wear&tear?

And you've probably answered a bit or your question re the noise from the forks... get then looked at by somebody who knows about them.

In the meantime keep off the road - or at least ride kinda slow if you can't.

Brayden
21st August 2011, 05:30
Hey guys! Took it for a long ride tonight after i inflated the front tyre from 19 psi to about 33!! Couldn't believe it was so badly underflated.....!!!

Helped hugely stopped the fishtailing from side to side and the bike was much more stable! Especially stable past the speed camera today by the Mt. Victoria Tunnel Tonight. :Police:

I felt like a bit of an idiot getting so worried when all was needed was a front tyre pump ump! However every day holds a new lesson xD

This monday coming me and a few mates are going for a relaxed cruise possibly through Makra and then through brooklyn across the waterfront and then across seatoun across to oriental parade possibly for a stop for some cafee ice!

If anyones keen let me know 0278147243!

Cheers guys should be fun!

mulletman
21st August 2011, 07:33
Hey guys! Took it for a long ride tonight after i inflated the front tyre from 19 psi to about 33!! Couldn't believe it was so badly underflated.....!!!

Helped hugely stopped the fishtailing from side to side and the bike was much more stable! Especially stable past the speed camera today by the Mt. Victoria Tunnel Tonight. :Police:

I felt like a bit of an idiot getting so worried when all was needed was a front tyre pump ump! However every day holds a new lesson xD

This monday coming me and a few mates are going for a relaxed cruise possibly through Makra and then through brooklyn across the waterfront and then across seatoun across to oriental parade possibly for a stop for some cafee ice!

If anyones keen let me know 0278147243!

Cheers guys should be fun!

Thats a problem with bike tyres , they visually look fine even That low:shit: compared to cars, ah well you've learn't something :), enjoy your ride.

DEATH_INC.
21st August 2011, 07:42
I'd still check the forks for straightness if you haven't already, and check the wheel alignment too. If the impact was big enough to damage the front wheel it could well have damaged something else.
You don't want to find something is seriously wrong at open road speeds....
Of course if you've already done all this then as you were :shifty:

Shaun
21st August 2011, 10:56
I'd still check the forks for straightness if you haven't already, and check the wheel alignment too. If the impact was big enough to damage the front wheel it could well have damaged something else.
You don't want to find something is seriously wrong at open road speeds....
Of course if you've already done all this then as you were :shifty:

100% agreed

Brayden
21st August 2011, 11:00
Aye I'm quite scared that the forks are screwed, I've heard forks can be really expensive :confused:

The bikes just been through a WOF but obviously they don't check that sort of thing

riffer
21st August 2011, 11:45
Y'know, I'm still thinking about that bit you posted about the forks going "clunk" when you go over a big bump.

I've had that before on a previous bike, and tracked it down to the bolt at the bottom of the forks that holds the cartridge to the fork having come loose, and the cartridge was just bouncing up and down inside the fork.

Okay when the weight was on the fork but when the weight goes off, like over a bump or when you go over a crest it was giving me all sorts of grief.

Sounds like someone who know summit about bikes needs to give yours the once-over.

Whereabouts do you live young fella? I'm in Upper Hutt and I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Shaun
21st August 2011, 11:55
Y'know, I'm still thinking about that bit you posted about the forks going "clunk" when you go over a big bump.

I've had that before on a previous bike, and tracked it down to the bolt at the bottom of the forks that holds the cartridge to the fork having come loose, and the cartridge was just bouncing up and down inside the fork.

Okay when the weight was on the fork but when the weight goes off, like over a bump or when you go over a crest it was giving me all sorts of grief.

Sounds like someone who know summit about bikes needs to give yours the once-over.

Whereabouts do you live young fella? I'm in Upper Hutt and I'd be happy to look at it for you.

Good on ya:Punk:

Brayden
21st August 2011, 12:07

That would be awesome if you could, would be a huge favour! I'm located in the city but am always up for a ride so would be more than happy to head up to the hutt. Currently on Uni holidays so am free all days cept sundays and monday evenings

riffer
21st August 2011, 12:15
That would be awesome if you could, would be a huge favour! I'm located in the city but am always up for a ride so would be more than happy to head up to the hutt. Currently on Uni holidays so am free all days cept sundays and monday evenings

If you can wait that long I don't work Fridays. Otherwise, any evening except Mondays is good for me.

PM me.

sleemanj
21st August 2011, 15:49

Sounds like it is too late now, but for your future edification...

Particularly if the accident was not at the very least contributed to by something the warrant would have shown up, then not having a warrant does not have bearing on if your insurance must pay.

Insurance Law Reform Act, search here.

Of course, if the accident WAS because of something unwarrantable, then even having a warrant won't stop the insurance company telling you to take a hike.

flyingcrocodile46
21st August 2011, 16:19

:first:

Good stuff. I know someone who was experiencing very similar problems and when I had a close look at it I found he had forgotten to tighten the axle clamps allowing the axle to move around . Problem solved

Katman
21st August 2011, 17:09
It bothers me that there are motorcyclists out there who don't yet realise the importance of knowing their tyre pressures are sound.

Surely this is something that needs to be hammered in right from the BHS stage.

riffer
21st August 2011, 20:20
It bothers me that there are motorcyclists out there who don't yet realise the importance of knowing their tyre pressures are sound.

Lots of things need to be hammered in right from the BHS stage Steve. Best we can do is show people some info and hope it rubs off. I can remember being 17 and riding my 1969 CB350 with the old Continental tyres with the smooth concentric lines in all sorts of shit weather and never even thinking about stuff like that.

Would have been nice to have someone show me back then in 1984... never mind. I fell off a few times but seem to have survived.

DrunkenMistake
21st August 2011, 20:43

I agree with you there,
I check my pressures once a month, but I can never remember what they should be, I have to keep going back and looking it up haha, I think basic maintenance should be part of the BHS, you should have to demonstrate how to do the basics, for example, how to lube a chain and no the wheel, check pressures and what have you.

Brayden
22nd August 2011, 00:15
Sounds like it is too late now, but for your future edification...

Particularly if the accident was not at the very least contributed to by something the warrant would have shown up, then not having a warrant does not have bearing on if your insurance must pay.

Insurance Law Reform Act, search here.

Of course, if the accident WAS because of something unwarrantable, then even having a warrant won't stop the insurance company telling you to take a hike.

.. Serious? I was insured but my mum told me there is no way in hell the insurance is going to pay without having a WOF.

Guess I should actually ask around before listening to her again.. She seemed adamant though so didn't bother..

The accident wasn't cause because of a bike fault I came off on a one way bridge which had a trough in the middle and two raised platforms for car tyres. Went straight into the trough, hit the end and came off the handlebars.

$800 later and my New Years Aussie trip money gone the bikes back on the road -_-

scumdog
22nd August 2011, 08:22
I agree with you there,
I check my pressures once a month, but I can never remember what they should be, .

Get one of those Twink pens and write the pressure on the side of the tyre right near the tyre valve.
Sorted.:niceone:

slofox
22nd August 2011, 12:18
Get one of those Twink pens and write the pressure on the side of the tyre right near the tyre valve.

I've had no trouble remembering tyre pressures since I abandoned the book's recommendations and tried various combinations until I found one that feels right. In my case, 38psi rear and...ummm...errmmm....3-something in the front..? Damn. :facepalm:

DrunkenMistake
22nd August 2011, 16:57

I have white rims! ..

when i get my new kit for the tail unit, ill scribble something under the seat cowl.

sleemanj
22nd August 2011, 17:08
.. Serious?

Yup, from the law which is typical convoluted legal speak but I have highlighted the bits which mean this for you...

"the insured shall not be disentitled to be indemnified by the
insurer by reason only of such provisions of the contract of
insurance if the insured proves on the balance of probability
that the loss in respect of which the insured seeks to be
indemnified was not caused or contributed to by the happening
of such events or the existence of such circumstances."

Not having a WOF is your circumstance, and the above part of the law says that you are not disentitled if you show that your lack of a WOF at the time did not contribute to the accident.

If you think about it, it makes sense - lots of people forget to get a WOF, even my dear old gran has driven WOF-less for a while until it's been pointed out to her that it has expired, simply "forgetting" to get a WOF can not reasonably invalidate insurance, that would be grossly unfair - and exactly the sort of thing that the law was written for, to stop the insurance companies weaseling out of claims on technicalities.

The Pastor
22nd August 2011, 17:15
bikes wiggle when you hit bumps, more if you are leaning.

just ride it out.

flyingcrocodile46
22nd August 2011, 17:50
Yup, from the law which is typical convoluted legal speak but I have highlighted the bits which mean this for you...

"the insured shall not be disentitled to be indemnified by the
insurer by reason only of such provisions of the contract of
insurance if the insured proves on the balance of probability
that the loss in respect of which the insured seeks to be
indemnified was not caused or contributed to by the happening
of such events or the existence of such circumstances."

Not having a WOF is your circumstance, and the above part of the law says that you are not disentitled if you show that your lack of a WOF at the time did not contribute to the accident.

If you think about it, it makes sense - lots of people forget to get a WOF, even my dear old gran has driven WOF-less for a while until it's been pointed out to her that it has expired, simply "forgetting" to get a WOF can not reasonably invalidate insurance, that would be grossly unfair - and exactly the sort of thing that the law was written for, to stop the insurance companies weaseling out of claims on technicalities.

+1

I've been through it twice and come out rosy. One of them involved an ambulance on the way to an attempted suicide and overtaking me as I was turning right :shit:. Got paid out no problem. Oldest WOF I've driven with was 24 years but I always drive really safely :innocent:

\m/
22nd August 2011, 18:20
I check my bike tire pressure before every ride and car tire pressure weekly.