PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm - should I, shouldn't I?

fuknKIWI
21st August 2011, 17:17
I just noticed an advert for a brand new Chinese 250cc bike $AUD 3,000.oo ride away.
Fuck that's cheap but is it too cheap...will it last the distance...does it have a warranty...will the ghost of the poor bastards lived, worked & died in the factory haunt me...I can handle being laughed at if it gets back on 2 wheels...I'd give you a penny for your thoughts but I'm too broke to pay attention...I wheels for a 120 K per day commute.

Katman
21st August 2011, 17:20
I'd laugh at you.

Juzz976
21st August 2011, 17:31
Well if u think japs are crap u wouldn't know how to ride a real bike anyways:no:.

Go the Chinese it's probably a step up from what your used to.

Blackshear
21st August 2011, 17:46
Get a GS500 you bastard.

tigertim20
21st August 2011, 18:14
I just noticed an advert for a brand new Chinese 250cc bike $AUD 3,000.oo ride away.
Fuck that's cheap but is it too cheap...will it last the distance...does it have a warranty...will the ghost of the poor bastards lived, worked & died in the factory haunt me...I can handle being laughed at if it gets back on 2 wheels...I'd give you a penny for your thoughts but I'm too broke to pay attention...I wheels for a 120 K per day commute.

do you have a pic of the bike? that doesnt sound too far way in cash terms from the price of a new scorpio etc.

Ender EnZed
21st August 2011, 18:34

You could buy a real bike for that money.

bogan
21st August 2011, 18:40
You could buy a real bike for that money.

Shit yeh, my RC31 was cheaper than that, and I'd bet it would be more reliable, and better in every other way too!

MarkH
21st August 2011, 21:03

Sounds like a really bad idea - for that money you could buy a 2nd hand Japanese bike that would actually be reliable, have parts available, perform well and handle well. Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki & Yamaha are all well known brands that have been going for many decades - a 2nd hand bike made by one of those brands would be more than 10x as good as some unknown Chinese brand even if the Chinese junk is brand new.

ellipsis
21st August 2011, 21:08
...whats powering it..

fuknKIWI
21st August 2011, 21:25
Ha pretty much as I expected, giving out just enough information to suck in some dickheads :done:
If I go second hand then I've already found my bike...read the poll you haven't participated in...

The bike in question is a Loncin 250cc (Jedi) I've heard Loncin mentioned before somewhere, which is what made me ask in the first place.

The intended use is a purely practical 120 K's per day commute, as I haven't done due diligence on it yet I may still walk away from it.

I'm interested in brand new for the simple reason that it will, in theory at least, have had less fuckwits laying hands on it. It should also be some time before the maintenance cycle ramps up, chains, tyres pads etc all cost money, Hinkley Triumph included.

Why all the fuss?
Simple I've spent some time in struggle street whilst raising kids & paying a mortgage so I've had to eat humble pie as a motorcycyclist. I've learnt the value of a buck along the way so it's a pragmatic decision I'm trying to make here.:scooter:

THIS IS NOT A RIDE FOR PLEASURE BIKE:shifty:
It's like riding a Honda or phuquing a phaggot, it feels good but you hope no one sees you do it. Or so I'm told :shit:

KiWiP
21st August 2011, 21:33
If you ain't going to love it don't buy it. If it's just a 250 to get your 6r go for a cheap and cheerful gn250 or any similar 'favourite'. If you want a 250 for a long time time get something your going to love for a long time.

(My ST250 is up for sale as soon as I get it WOF'd)http://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/ST/ST250/2004_ST250_top_450.jpg interested? $3000 and its yours

MarkH
21st August 2011, 23:49
The bike in question is a Loncin 250cc (Jedi) I've heard Loncin mentioned before somewhere, which is what made me ask in the first place.

I'm interested in brand new for the simple reason that it will, in theory at least, have had less fuckwits laying hands on it. It should also be some time before the maintenance cycle ramps up, chains, tyres pads etc all cost money, Hinkley Triumph included.

Is the Loncin a reliable bike? Are the parts available and a reasonable price? Will it actually be cheaper to own & use than a 2nd hand Japanese bike?
A brand new unreliable piece of crap that breaks down often isn't going to be cheaper than a 2nd hand reliable bike that just keeps running with minimal maintenance costs.

Matariki
21st August 2011, 23:59
Get a second hand Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki even if its a 125cc model. They are definitely out there on the market within a $3000 budget, it will last longer, run better, cheaper to maintain and you'll be able to sell it again when you are ready to upgrade. I've heard some horrible things about the dreaded Chinese made bikes. :no:

I hear the bike you're interested in is popular in Russia...

You're in Aussie right?
http://www.bikesales.com.au/

EJK
22nd August 2011, 00:48
If you buy a Chinese <strike>piece of shit</strike> lemon, you deserve every mechanical fault you get.

ellipsis
22nd August 2011, 07:45
...nothing wrong with loncin motors...in my experience with them they have proven strong and reliable...parts are easily sourced and are relatively cheap...being chinese i'd say the bits around the motor would be what lets you down...

MarkH
22nd August 2011, 09:21
...nothing wrong with loncin motors...in my experience with them they have proven strong and reliable...parts are easily sourced and are relatively cheap...being chinese i'd say the bits around the motor would be what lets you down...

I'm not too sure that being Chinese necessarily means they other bits would let you down, but in the case of this Loncin 250 it could certainly be true. But the fact is that you could buy a Suzuki GS 500 and have a VERY good idea of the reliability of the bike from MANY accounts from other owners - the Loncin is a bit more of an unknown commodity.

I wouldn't assume that I'd get trouble free motoring just because I'd bought a new bike - plenty of people have bought new bikes or cars and had nothing but a string of breakdowns and endless headaches.
I also wouldn't assume that a bike WOULD be trouble just because it is Chinese and cheap but I wouldn't be daft enough to buy it assuming it WOULDN'T give me problems. The tricky part is knowing whether it is worth buying or not - there really isn't much of a track record for such a new brand.

gijoe1313
22nd August 2011, 09:37
Being on the bleeding edge in adopting new brands/technologies ... occam's razor innit?

It's your money - if you do get one, keep us updated on how it runs/holds up over time so we all know the pros and cons about it! (and yes, the old chestnut how jappas were disregarded in the beginning is now bandied about the korean brand (and sorting it out well) and now it's the turn of the chinese brand! (imagine a future where a well sorted brand new motorbike costs less than $5K ...)

You'd be a braver man than me!

SPman
22nd August 2011, 12:10
one of these?
http://www.loncinie.com/Product9/Detailed42/

from all reports, I wouldn't give much chances on any longevity, particularly on a 120km commute.

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/search.php?searchid=2212476

you'd be better off lookingfor a good 2nd hand 250....

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f89/

Swoop
22nd August 2011, 16:23
chinese built... Fuck off.

skippa1
23rd August 2011, 16:07
no:no:dont do it

Blinkwing
23rd August 2011, 16:16
If you're gonna spring for a new bike, at least get a Honda CBF125. They're only $3,500.

Can go 100km/hr, will take a while to get there.
Fuel consumption is great, as proved here (http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbf125).

Or look into the other Japanese brands. Yamaha's YZF-R125, YZF-R15 are possibilities.

ellipsis
23rd August 2011, 16:49
...I have been trying to destroy a loncin cbd150 motor in my bucket for three seasons of racing...the motor is also 90% of my braking after one lap of a street race or a circuit and my brakes are used up...it is still running the chinese plug that I initially removed knowing that it would shit in three laps of its first outing...the ngk shit itself and the spare was the chinese plug...that was Greymouth 3 years ago...I run midfield and get to fuck with some of the fxr riders at times..it gets hammered and is still running tight as a drum, my son has one in his bucket and a bunch of blokes we know run the cbd250's in their grass karts...they dont have problems with them , only praise...parts are available and relatively cheap...the proof of the pudding is in the eating , and i'm still eating pudding...if you dont own one , use one or have at least some experience of this brand of motor, where's the qualifications for dissing them coming from...check out #95 at Greymouth if you get there...if it happens to blow to pieces there I still wont have egg on my face 'cos its been the best motor in a whole lot of bikes I race...and coming up to four seasons of only running good oil as an expense is a far better outlay for dollars than my other machines I have to keep going...$590.00 dollars delivered to my door, all electrics, header pipe,gear lever, kickstart...

fuknKIWI
23rd August 2011, 21:24
one of these?
http://www.loncinie.com/Product9/Detailed42/

Yep looks like it...

crshbndct
23rd August 2011, 23:13
GN250 engine in a more modern looking frame. i would find out the cost of non engine parts, if they are cheap then i say go for it.

i would be concerned with the fact that they have a picture of a repsol motogp bike as their sites logo. but it looks pretty sweet really.

pc220
24th August 2011, 19:24
Yep looks like it...

Bloody chinaman put the forks on upside down.:laugh:

fuknKIWI
26th August 2011, 21:11
OK so I went & had a look at them gotta say they look surprisingly good:shit:
There's a 2 year/10,000 k warranty on them, I'd cut that out in just over 6months.
The Jedi is really new on the market, being released only a few weeks ago. I'm not sure how long the 250cc engine has been on the market? There may only be handful on the road here but I bet there's fucking heaps of them in just about any Chinese city.
I suspect it may be bit under powered for freeway use<_< & that putting a taller gearing on it may sap much needed acceleration. I'll shop around the japcrap for comparison before I think about going for a test ride.
Interesting to note the Kiwi woman working in the shop is the mother of one of the boys I help coach in my son's rugby team, the salesman was a Kiwi too. Anyone for a game of spot the Aussie:laugh:

fuknKIWI
27th September 2011, 22:20
Well I'm getting my old Hinkley 900 Trident back:yes::woohoo:

I'd like to thank you for the advice given, I really would, but I'd be lying.
I posed the same question on another forum & got some good quality advice, it came down to a GS500 or the Trident in the end.
The replies given here really helped me see this site for what it is... a petty little cesspool...full of crap:shutup: