PDA

View Full Version : Storing a bike?

Robbie_
23rd August 2011, 22:14
hey Guys,

Never needed to before. I'm off overseas for a year and will put my FXR in storage. I've got a mate who's kindly offered to store it in his locked garage. He's not a biker, but he is mechanically minded. And is more than capable of doing basic jobs etc.

What's the best way to go about storing it? I.e I will get him to run it for 20 mins or so every month. But what else? It probably won't be ridden in this time. I've heard all sorts of things like pumping the tyre pressures right up, having the tank filled to the brim to prevent water etc.. Cheers!

Flip
23rd August 2011, 23:25
Fill the tank, you could add some fuel stabilizer if you like.
New oil and filter.
Use the main stand, so the tires don't flat spot.
Take the battery out and put it on a battery minder.
Oil the chain and cables before storage.
Store the bike clean and use a sheet as a dust cover.

In the old days we used to put a squirt of oil in each cylinder (down the plug holes) to stop the rings sticking, but the oils in those days were crap. A short run each month will probably do more harm than good.

ducatilover
23rd August 2011, 23:27
Fill the tank, do the tyre pressures, drop it off to me to use for the year you're away... :shifty: It'll be serviced, WOF'd and Rego'd and gets to play in the garage with my 600.

Captain_Salty
24th August 2011, 07:42
my manual also recommends filling to the top of the crankcase filler hole as part of the oil change and oily rags over the air intake and muffler outlet

Robbie_
24th August 2011, 09:34
Okay cheers, what should I pump the psi to in the tyre pressure?

Dodgy_Matt
24th August 2011, 09:55
Fill the tank, do the tyre pressures, drop it off to me to use for the year you're away... :shifty: It'll be serviced, WOF'd and Rego'd, dented and fucked within days and gets to Sit in the garage with my 400.
there fixed it for you :shifty:

Parlane
24th August 2011, 11:10
there fixed it for you :shifty:

Don't worry though, it will have nice (read: different) forks on it when you get back! And a beautiful (read: different) seat made out of plywood!

Parlane
24th August 2011, 11:15

Depends on the bike apparently. But you won't go wrong with ~30 psi in each. Less in the front I have been told. So maybe 29/32 for front/back. Playing it safe you can just do 30/30. (Check the max psi on your tyres just in case though...)

ducatilover
24th August 2011, 11:25
there fixed it for you :shifty: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Don't worry though, it will have nice (read: different) forks on it when you get back! And a beautiful (read: different) seat made out of plywood!

:confused: I don't have a plywood seat to put on it...But that's a good idea! My plastic base and foam is so last year. The forks would weigh it down, I'll wheelie it everywhere.

ducatilover
24th August 2011, 11:26

Keep the wheels off the ground mate. Put it on stands, or in my garage :laugh:

Parlane
24th August 2011, 11:32
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:confused: I don't have a plywood seat to put on it...But that's a good idea! My plastic base and foam is so last year. The forks would weigh it down, I'll wheelie it everywhere.

Just head down to mitre10 and get some nice timber and cut it to shape! So much less hassle than plastics!

ducatilover
24th August 2011, 11:33
Just head down to mitre10 and get some nice timber and cut it to shape! So much less hassle than plastics!

You tell me this after I make a seat? Dick.

Dodgy_Matt
24th August 2011, 12:13
You tell me this after I make a seat Dick.

:shit: :confused: :no:

dogsnbikes
24th August 2011, 13:10
Would you be keen on renting it out??? would be well looked after at our place with the rest of the bikes

ducatilover
24th August 2011, 14:18
Would you be keen on renting it out??? would be well looked after at our place with the rest of the bikes

Me first :laugh:

Robbie_
24th August 2011, 15:35

Thanks for the offer, but not keen on renting it out ;P Don't fancy any damage to it..
Anyway thanks guys. Probably end up as a bucket when I get back anyway lol since I'll get my full.