PDA

View Full Version : Anyone after the cheap HP touchpads?

Scuba_Steve
24th August 2011, 08:42
I have found IT Direct have some, slightly more expensive than the Noel Leeming ones at about 160$ delivered for the 16Gig but they still show 194 of them, and its still a fucking good deal

Find them here (http://www.itd.co.nz/product_list/s/1.html)

sil3nt
24th August 2011, 09:04
I find it highly amusing that people are getting angry over missing out. I study IT and in one of my classes almost everyone spent the morning driving around looking for a place to buy one.

Flatmate works at noel leeming and picked one up. Staff got them well before the customers did.

About a month ago a guy from HP NZ came down with beers and pizzas showing off the touchpad and asking us to write an app for it with the best app winning a free one. It looked impressive but i have no use for a tablet and im sure most people who buy one won't have a use for it either (flatmate included).

Scuba_Steve
24th August 2011, 09:28
yea but for the price they're clearing out for I couldn't pass it up. Not needed just handy, surf web on couch or out & about (wifi), GPS device, electric picture frame (cheaper than most others on market), electronic manual for working in garage etc.
And I figure when WebOS is no longer useful Android will be available for install on it :D

Hoon
24th August 2011, 09:44
It looked impressive but i have no use for a tablet and im sure most people who buy one won't have a use for it either (flatmate included).

I thought the same until I actually got one. My iPad rocks. My 2yo loves it too. Just like my laptop replaced 90% of my desktop PC activity when I first got it, the iPad has done the same, relegating my laptop to the tough jobs and making my desktop PC obselete altogether.

For me its the 3G and 10hr battery life that seals the deal. That and all the free jailbroken apps available on the ipad arr arr arr.

willytheekid
24th August 2011, 09:54
I have found IT Direct have some, slightly more expensive than the Noel Leeming ones at about 160$ delivered for the 16Gig but they still show 194 of them, and its still a fucking good deal

Find them here (http://www.itd.co.nz/product_list/s/1.html)

Hmmm, can't find them listed on that link steve?, the price sounds good!

Scuba_Steve
24th August 2011, 09:58
Hmmm, can't find them listed on that link steve?, the price sounds good!

your right & the search no longer brings results, maybee they sold out too??? I found it via PriceSpy so I'm sure alot of others did too. Must check email now to make sure I was lucky enough to get one... If people are really keen I say just watch the stores that still have them, as it's an HP directed firesale logic says they'll all drop eventually

turtleman
24th August 2011, 14:59
I doubt that there's any left, anywhere.

As of 4:30pm yesterday (24/08) HP staff can't even get them....

HenryDorsetCase
24th August 2011, 15:12
You'd think HP might see that they are successul at a price point, and sell them at that price point. Supply and demand and all that good stuff.

oneofsix
24th August 2011, 15:32
You'd think HP might see that they are successul at a price point, and sell them at that price point. Supply and demand and all that good stuff.

only works if the price point still includes a profit and for a large company it would that profit would also have to have a best bang for buck factor.

JimO
24th August 2011, 16:07
I find it highly amusing that people are getting angry over missing out.

Flatmate works at noel leeming and picked one up. Staff got them well before the customers did.

thats the problem right there, leemings need to work out who keeps the shops open, is it customers or staff

pete376403
24th August 2011, 19:56
Most of the TouchPads will probably end up being used as desk or bedside photo displays.

pete376403
24th August 2011, 19:57

HPs CEO is trying to get the company out of hardware, wants it to be a services company like IBM.
The PC line is on the block.

Parlane
30th August 2011, 16:30
thats the problem right there, leemings need to work out who keeps the shops open, is it customers or staff

Staff are customers too :facepalm:
The staff would not have gotten them any cheaper than customers. And the price was NEVER advertised by Noel Leemings. The staff get paid shit all, so good on them for getting a good return out of their job for once.

JimO
30th August 2011, 18:09
Staff are customers too :facepalm:

no they arnt

Parlane
30th August 2011, 18:18
no they arnt

How strange, they get the same consumer's rights. Must be a mistake. Better contact Simon Power!

JimO
30th August 2011, 18:29
How strange, they get the same consumer's rights. Must be a mistake. Better contact Simon Power!

its highly unethical for staff to take advantage of a shop special and buy all the stock before customers have the opportunity, management are to blame for letting it happen, heads should roll, floggings etc. Low wages are no excuse

Parlane
30th August 2011, 18:34
its highly unethical for staff to take advantage of a shop special and buy all the stock before customers have the opportunity, management are to blame for letting it happen, heads should roll, floggings etc. Low wages are no excuse

It would be unethical for them to get it at a discounted price. They didn't. They paid the same any other consumer would have, so they don't even count as staff sales. The price was NOT advertised.

KiWiP
30th August 2011, 18:48
THIS (http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/gadgets/5473050/HP-dumps-TouchPad) could explain why you can't find them anymore...

"Hewlett-Packard has announced it will discontinue the TouchPad tablet computer and phones, just over a week after the tablet launched in New Zealand.

HP said the tablet and phones, which used its own WebOS software, had failed to catch on with consumers.

The company cut the price of the tablet in New Zealand last week, slashing the cost of the 16GB version to $679 from $799 and the 32GB version from $949 to $819.

The Dominion Post had previously reported Kiwi shoppers would pay 40 per cent more than consumers in the United States for the TouchPad, once the exchange rate was factored in."