PDA

View Full Version : For those with reg permanently on hold?

ScottChappell
24th August 2011, 10:48
who are you insured with? Everywhere I've asked say I wont be insured unless it has rego.

Shaun
24th August 2011, 10:51
who are you insured with? Everywhere I've asked say I wont be insured unless it has rego.

Try Dave @ Kiwibike Insurance new Plymouth

SimJen
24th August 2011, 11:06
Classic cover should be okay with it.

imdying
24th August 2011, 11:09
Golightly (i.e. Vero). One of my bikes has been on hold longer than it has not been on hold, he's never mentioned it.

Big Dave
24th August 2011, 11:57
No dramas with National Auto Club either. Much reduced premium too.

Ahhh - thanks for the reminder. I can cancel the policies.

thepom
24th August 2011, 18:06
Just say no to vero,just had a bad experience with them and will be binning them shortly.........:no:

Hitcher
24th August 2011, 18:09
Erm, what does "permanently on hold" mean?

Oakie
24th August 2011, 19:02
Hitcher's eagle eye has spotted an oxymoron.

pete376403
24th August 2011, 19:22
State insurance told me (in writing) that lack of registration alone would not disqualify insurance being paid. I've posted the complete text of the message in another registration thread here.

toebug
26th August 2011, 13:12
Why would it affect your insurance? Reg is a tax and has nothing to do with your bike being road worthy. As long as you have a wof you should be fine. I'm with classic...

riffer
26th August 2011, 13:18
I have the rego on my RF on hold. It's currently insured with AMI at $10 a month, which covers it only for fire and theft, provided it stays in the garage.

When I decide to put it back on the road, I'll change the insurance.

Given that I've already lost one bike (FZR750R) to a garage fire (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/10454-Pictures-of-the-garage-fire?highlight=fire) it seemed sensible.

I don't currently have the Katana insured as the rego has lapsed before I bought it and I haven't finished the resto so it's not been revinned.

Str8 Jacket
26th August 2011, 13:40
Someone I know has a bike with WOF but rego on hold. Bike is coming off the road completely in a few weeks time but for now as long as it is WOF'ed then it is covered......

dogsnbikes
26th August 2011, 13:50
I don't currently have the Katana insured as the rego has lapsed before I bought it and I haven't finished the resto so it's not been revinned.

Classic cover should be okay with it.

Yes Classic cover do.... all my bikes are with them

I have restoration insurance for the Missus bike that I am doing up and that needs revinning,but it means its still covered for fire theft and transportation and think that was around $10 a month

Eyegasm
26th August 2011, 15:39
Hold on let me get this right...

Your rego is on hold, you want insurance to pay out if you crash, and no doubt ACC
will pay to fix any damage to you.

What a tight c*nt.

Just pay the rego.

:laugh:

Maha
26th August 2011, 16:35
Hold on let me get this right...

Your rego is on hold, you want insurance to pay out if you crash, and no doubt ACC
will pay to fix any damage to you.

What a tight c*nt.

Just pay the rego.

With you there Mr 'gasm...:2guns:

Big Dave
26th August 2011, 17:48
OK - I assumed this was because the bike was being stored - if you intend riding it around - just pay the tax or it will bite you on the arse.

kave
26th August 2011, 18:11
Legally, there shouldn't be any issue with getting insurance paid out on a bike with the rego on hold. As for people saying you shouldn't be riding without rego, I rode to wellington to protest the rego hikes, and as that was a complete failure I am now in the second phase of protest, refusing to pay unjust ACC levies. If I get pulled over I guess I will have to pay the fine, but with multiple bikes I would have to be pulled over and fined $200 every month for a year before it would be more expensive than paying rego. I ride everyday, and it has been years since I was last pulled over, so I am not overly concerned.

Parlane
26th August 2011, 18:15
Legally, there shouldn't be any issue with getting insurance paid out on a bike with the rego on hold. As for people saying you shouldn't be riding without rego, I rode to wellington to protest the rego hikes, and as that was a complete failure I am now in the second phase of protest, refusing to pay unjust ACC levies. If I get pulled over I guess I will have to pay the fine, but with multiple bikes I would have to be pulled over and fined $200 every month for a year before it would be more expensive than paying rego. I ride everyday, and it has been years since I was last pulled over, so I am not overly concerned.

Curious..

Do you display an old rego sticker? Or none at all? I'd be more worried about the man in the hat who checks parked cars.

racefactory
26th August 2011, 18:46
What a tight c*nt.

Just pay the rego.

Nope wrong, that's the classic kiwi-take it in the bum hole attitude. Fuck paying it and stand up, they're raping us. Been doing it for over a year now (car and bike) and I'm up in the pocket a good few hundy with no fines to speak of- touch wood!

Rego has no effect on insurance, it's just a tax. It's wof that matters.

bikaholic
26th August 2011, 21:56
Nope wrong, that's the classic kiwi-take it in the bum hole attitude. Fuck paying it and stand up, they're raping us. Been doing it for over a year now (car and bike) and I'm up in the pocket a good few hundy with no fines to speak of- touch wood!

Rego has no effect on insurance, it's just a tax. It's wof that matters.And do you cry like a baby when the cops are giving motorcyclists extra attention?

thepom
27th August 2011, 08:39
Sadly the fuckers are giving demerit points out now for no regio....fuckers...

rossirep
28th August 2011, 15:51
Golightly (i.e. Vero). One of my bikes has been on hold longer than it has not been on hold, he's never mentioned it.

if ya reg is on hold and your not riding your bike its all good,(ie' sitting in the garage over winter) and Dave golightly is all good for insurance, iv had no dramas with them, paid out more than my bike was insured for when i high sided it last summer.

thepom
28th August 2011, 16:15
The Vero assessor who looked my bike over for quake damage said to me no problem with the claim,I check with the repairer and he has refused to paint the half of tank that had a scratch on it and the grab rail which lost the paint when it slid down the side of the car.......costing me 500 on top of excess to have it all painted........gutted after years of full insurance on two bikes with no claims...so binning vero when I pick it up monday........

Parlane
28th August 2011, 16:19
The Vero assessor who looked my bike over for quake damage said to me no problem with the claim,I check with the repairer and he has refused to paint the half of tank that had a scratch on it and the grab rail which lost the paint when it slid down the side of the car.......costing me 500 on top of excess to have it all painted........gutted after years of full insurance on two bikes with no claims...so binning vero when I pick it up monday........

Um why? ...

thepom
28th August 2011, 16:26
sorry it was the assessor who would not have the tank and grab rail painted.....not the repairer........

pritch
28th August 2011, 16:39
.so binning vero when I pick it up monday........

Sorry to read your tale. I've had good experiences with Vero, better than any of the other times I've had to claim for anything.

I was using them through the Honda/Golightly scheme and they were brilliant.

The bike shop was most impressed too. When the VFR was repaired following a nose dive into a ditch, Vero phoned the shop to check that the customer was happy.
The dealer was not used to getting calls like that from insurance companies...

Parlane
28th August 2011, 16:43
sorry it was the assessor who would not have the tank and grab rail painted.....not the repairer........

Was that damage from the same claim? I can't work out why they didn't pay for it? What DID they pay for?

thepom
28th August 2011, 20:33
The bird fell on one side,I pick it up this week,right hand side damage,mirrors,indicator,side panel,......two other bird with same damage as mine......I ll send an e mail to vero/golightly expressing my displeasure but as they are a money making business I don,t expect much sympathy.... I ll go third party from now on and save some money....:confused:

jellywrestler
28th August 2011, 21:00
it's kinda like a definite maybe

Max Preload
28th August 2011, 22:11
As long as you have a wof you should be fine.

Rego has no effect on insurance, it's just a tax. It's wof that matters.
Not quite right... it's primarily whether it has a fault that a reasonable person could be expected to know about that was also a contributing factor to the reason for the damage. Having a WoF won't save you if you have bald tyres. Just as not having a WoF won't exclude a claim on that basis alone.

Max Preload
28th August 2011, 22:16
Sadly the fuckers are giving demerit points out now for no regio....fuckers...Only if issued by a cop, and, well, lets be fair - it is a safety issue. If you don't pay your license fees, someone could die from that. Unlike running a red light which carries no demerits.

Pixie
30th August 2011, 10:10
Only if issued by a cop, and, well, lets be fair - it is a safety issue. If you don't pay your license fees, someone could die from that. Unlike running a red light which carries no demerits.

For sure!
Fat fucks, Steven Joyce,Gerry Brownlee,Judith Collins,Paula Benett,and that cunt Smith will lose weight and die without the revenue.

Matt_TG
30th August 2011, 10:20

So... let me get this straight. There was damage that was not caused by the quake and you wanted Vero to pay to fix that at the same time that they were fixing the quake damage, at no extra cost to you? Their obligation is to put it back to a position it was immediately prior to the quake - they sound like they did that...

You could have made a claim on the other damage too - but then you would have to pay two more excesses, which would have been more than the $500 to paint those extra bits.

Parlane
30th August 2011, 10:32
So... let me get this straight. There was damage that was not caused by the quake and you wanted Vero to pay to fix that at the same time that they were fixing the quake damage, at no extra cost to you? Their obligation is to put it back to a position it was immediately prior to the quake - they sound like they did that...

You could have made a claim on the other damage too - but then you would have to pay two more excesses, which would have been more than the $500 to paint those extra bits.

So I'm not the only one who thought this was the case.. Vero seemed well within their rights both morally and legally.

imdying
30th August 2011, 12:18
The Vero assessor who looked my bike over for quake damage said to me no problem with the claim,I check with the repairer and he has refused to paint the half of tank that had a scratch on it and the grab rail which lost the paint when it slid down the side of the car.......costing me 500 on top of excess to have it all painted........gutted after years of full insurance on two bikes with no claims...so binning vero when I pick it up monday........I just explained that to me a repainted tank wasn't acceptable and I wanted a new one, so that's what they fitted, same with the fairings. YMMV. AFAIK they flog the old bits via auction sites etc. The assessor was into bikes, so quite helpful. I'm not moving.