PDA

View Full Version : Oil seals

Gixxer 4 ever
9th July 2005, 15:37
Help info wanted. I have pulled the front fork seals out of my 96 750 Gixxer. I note they have multi sealed surfaces in them. So I have ordered the genuine parts. Has anyone tried the after market of ordinary seals in upside down forks?

Mitch
9th July 2005, 17:01
There are Vesra fork seals for your model bike and sometime's they can be fine. However there really is nothing better then original, If you have a problem with getting the pits out of your forks to stop blowing seals then Vesrah are fantastic as a set is cheaper then one original. If it is just a wear issue, just replace BOTH seals and oil.

FROSTY
9th July 2005, 17:47
nahh I reckon the bikes stufffed--gixxer seals aint sposed to be replaced. --Best bet is dump the fork legs and buy new ones--Ill take the old ones off ya
otherwise I second what mitch said. -The only thing is be carefull ya dont nick em fitting em -otherwise ya might as well leave the old seals in

curious george
9th July 2005, 17:57
Help info wanted. I have pulled the front fork seals out of my 96 750 Gixxer. I note they have multi sealed surfaces in them. So I have ordered the genuine parts. Has anyone tried the after market of ordinary seals in upside down forks?
I can scan the relevant section from the manual and sent it to you if you need it.

Gixxer 4 ever
9th July 2005, 22:02
I can scan the relevant section from the manual and sent it to you if you need it.Thanks for the offer but I have one. :Punk:

Gixxer 4 ever
9th July 2005, 22:15
nahh I reckon the bikes stufffed--gixxer seals aint sposed to be replaced. --Best bet is dump the fork legs and buy new ones--Ill take the old ones off ya :nono: :nono: Ten points for trying Frost man :motu:

-The only thing is be carefull ya dont nick em fitting em -otherwise ya might as well leave the old seals in
I will rap tape around the top. The edges are sharp and they will damage the new seal that’s for shore. Pleased it let go now and not at the track in Dec :whistle: Thanks for the tip.

Gixxer 4 ever
9th July 2005, 22:27
There are Vesra fork seals for your model bike and sometime's they can be fine. However there really is nothing better then original, If you have a problem with getting the pits out of your forks to stop blowing seals then Vesrah are fantastic as a set is cheaper then one original. If it is just a wear issue, just replace BOTH seals and oil.

Thanks for that. I wasn’t sure so opted to order the real deal ones. No stone chips or damage at this stage. I had a very hard breaking manoeuvre yesterday to stop from hitting a car in the driver’s door. I had the front locked up on a partly wet road and it dived hard when the tyre hit some dry seal. I didn’t hit the car but when I came out of a shop with some stuff for work I noticed a patch of oil so took the baby home and pulled it to bits. Just old age as the rubber has gone off in the seals thank goodness. So will be back up and running when the seals come in on Tuesday. :Punk:
Is 10 W the right grade of oil?
Thanks for your help and it is appreciated. :yes: :yes:

Drew
9th July 2005, 22:28
Suzuki factory ones are the best value for money anyhoo, I got a set of SV650 seals in my FZR, and they were about $15 each

Hitcher
10th July 2005, 15:11
An eskimo pushes his stuffed snowmobile into his local Polaris dealership.

The mechanic lifts the seat, looks at the engine, than looks at the eskimo.

"Looks like you've blown a seal," he says.

"Nah," says the eskimo. "It's just the frost on my beard..."

Mitch
15th July 2005, 16:47
Is 10 W the right grade of oil?
Thanks for your help and it is appreciated. :yes: :yes:

Should say in your manual but 10 or 15 should be fine.
Also throw the tape away and use a condom (I AM SERIOUS)
Roll it over the top of the fork leg and down maybe 4-5 inch's then carefully cut off the rolled up bit and take that off leaving the rest on there.
I have been using them for this for years and have not damaged one yet.

SHUT UP ALL YOU SMART ASS MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!

Lou Girardin
15th July 2005, 16:55
An eskimo pushes his stuffed snowmobile into his local Polaris dealership.

The mechanic lifts the seat, looks at the engine, than looks at the eskimo.

"Looks like you've blown a seal," he says.

"Nah," says the eskimo. "It's just the frost on my beard..."

An oldie, but still a goodie.

White trash
15th July 2005, 16:55

No.

Roll it over the top of the fork leg and down maybe 4-5 inch's then carefully cut off the rolled up bit and take that off leaving the rest on there.

Well at least you're finding a good use for the hundreds of unused ones now that you aint getting any :devil2:

duckman
15th July 2005, 16:56

:shutup: :shutup: Must....resist ...urge ...to say ...something .... :shutup: :shutup:

:bleh:

Mitch
15th July 2005, 17:00
Well at least you're finding a good use for the hundreds of unused ones now that you aint getting any :devil2:

Ummmmm Yes well......... :motu:

DEATH_INC.
15th July 2005, 18:22
I've just put new one's in mine, aftermarket one's.I'll tell you if they work after sunday. 10w fork oil, 490cc each leg. condoms eh......

Gixxer 4 ever
15th July 2005, 18:54

Thanks for the tip. That is fucken ( excuse the pun ) clever and it will work just fine. Your a clever man me thinks. I ordered seals from the local shop and got Versa seals so that will do. But get this the dust seals got lost in the post. Wifey dropped in to pick them up yesterday. Not there. Get a phone call to say they have found them. to late she is at home. 20 min drive. She went in to get them today. Brings all the bits home. My son is looking at the bags and said they are different. I said yea one is an oil seal the other is a dust seal. No dum ass :whistle: the dust seals are different. :mad: Sure enough they are different. One is right one is wrong. So a week after the leak I still can't finish the job. Never mind if I have a rubber left over, that is not damaged, I could fill in some time I guess. Now were did wifey :love: go :love:

Gixxer 4 ever
15th July 2005, 23:03
I have had it pointed out to me that Mitch is actually a female. Sorry Mitch but it was a figure of speech. I am not the most literate person on here and words are not my strong point. But thanks for the info and to the men that have pointed me in the right direction. THANKS but I new that. Arrrr I think I am making this worse.

Mitch
16th July 2005, 09:54
Don't sweat in Gixxer, there is far too much political correctness being pushed on us all for my liking anyway.
Most people seem to think i'm a bloke :whistle: I can only hope it's just my name!!!
Best of luck!!

MSTRS
16th July 2005, 10:27
Don't sweat in Gixxer, there is far too much political correctness being pushed on us all for my liking anyway.
Most people seem to think i'm a bloke :whistle: I can only hope it's just my name!!!
Best of luck!!
I thought it was the 'stache :devil2:

Mitch
16th July 2005, 13:50
I thought it was the 'stache :devil2:

The WHAT.......... :motu:
Hmmm obviously I hadn't waxed the week you were here :whistle:

cliffy
16th July 2005, 14:53
blahahahaha "stache " peeheeheehee :motu: :rofl: .........oh oh i think i might get hurt now! :no:

Gixxer 4 ever
16th July 2005, 15:08
All done and going sweet. :yes: Found wifey and talked her in to a ride to test the seals. Wasn't raining when we left home. :whistle: Anyway used glad rap to cover the tops of the sliders. Rubbed in a bit of fork oil and the job was sweet. So can I assume if the glad rap worked for this job as well as the condom would have, could I use the glad rap instead of the condom for the other job? How about the fork oil? :innocent:
These would have to be the easiest seals I have ever replaced. When I finally got them. Just sweet. Well done Zuki. :niceone:
Sat on the 05 as well when in the Zuki shop today. Wifey jumped on the back. She's not keen on that. :no: Recons she would beat me to every corner not to mention the car,truck or what ever else I braked for. Not a passenger bike but coz it was wet I didn't go for a ride. :slap: Thanks for the chat and ideas everyone. :drinkup:
He said nothin about no stache to me Mitch. In fact he said.... :Oops: hi MSTRS. :rofl:

MSTRS
16th July 2005, 16:07
:
He said nothin about no stache to me Mitch. In fact he said.... :Oops: hi MSTRS. :rofl:
Hello G4E ( :cold: voice)

MSTRS
16th July 2005, 16:09
The WHAT.......... :motu:
Hmmm obviously I hadn't waxed the week you were here :whistle:
'salrite Mitch, your secret's safe with me :devil2: :whistle:

Mitch
20th July 2005, 16:17
'salrite Mitch, your secret's safe with me :devil2: :whistle:

HA Ya right............ he says after posting it on the fuking internet :mad:
LMFAO :motu:

DEATH_INC.
20th July 2005, 18:32
Yeh,found them pretty easy to do too.All seems well after the weekend.Amazing how much the new oil changes the suspension eh?
Oh yeh,I did new steering head bearings too while she was apart, the old ones were a bit notchy for some reason.....

SixPackBack
20th July 2005, 18:44
Yeh,found them pretty easy to do too.All seems well after the weekend.Amazing how much the new oil changes the suspension eh?
Oh yeh,I did new steering head bearings too while she was apart, the old ones were a bit notchy for some reason.....

C'mon DEATH , Draco said you spent the entire day swearing like hell, trying to fit the new seal's.
And is it really necassary to change said seals when you ride on one wheel
LMFAO

rua
6th August 2005, 15:38
I have just spent the morning winding myself up, trying to change some fork seals, finally got the damping rod bolt undone and forks apart only to find the old seals are stuck fast, have now got one butchered seal, past the point of not return, they seem to have been leaking long term and all sorts of crud sitting under the dust caps, any good tricks/advice for getting them out? Any advice appreciated.

Gixxer 4 ever
6th August 2005, 21:32
I have just spent the morning winding myself up, trying to change some fork seals, finally got the damping rod bolt undone and forks apart only to find the old seals are stuck fast, have now got one butchered seal, past the point of not return, they seem to have been leaking long term and all sorts of crud sitting under the dust caps, any good tricks/advice for getting them out? Any advice appreciated.

I assume you have taken the spring clip out from above the seal? If no then clean around the top of the seal under the dust cover and remove the spring clip.
Undo the locking bolt ( damper rod bolt )in the bottom of the forks. Usually in a recess above the axil. You can get to it when the axil is removed. When you have that undone and removed pull the sliders hard and fast to full travel. That will pop the seals out and away you go. Be careful to note the order you take things out so you can replace them as they are. Do not mix parts from one side to the other. Cover the top of the stations with glad rap or a condom as advised above to prevent damage to new seals. Also make sure you oil everything well before reassemble and replace oil. Use the recommended grade and volume. Keep every thing clean. Put a few towls down on the floor of the shed if not really clean.

A tip To undo the top fork bolt leave them in the triple clamps. Undo the top retaining bolt of the triple clamp and slacken the big top nut off at this stage. Then undo the rest of the bolts. Revers to assemble.

Hope this helps. I am sure you have only missed one of the following. Retaining bolt in the bottem of the station or the spring clip. There is nothing else to go wrong. Take care removing the bottom bush off the slider. Only open as far as you need to to slide it off the shaft. Oil it before you put it back.

Gixxer 4 ever
6th August 2005, 21:35
I will be away tomorrow but if you need a book I can send mine down and it might help. What bike are you working on?
Welcome to KB by the way. :yes:

rua
7th August 2005, 08:43
thanks guys, its my little rg50, i have the forks right apart and suspect that the old seals have been in for around 22 years hence the reluctance to come out, nasty toxic looking rusty stuff under the caps, just don't want to damage the fork leg through blundering frustration.