PDA

View Full Version : Running my Maurader on the wrong gas

cooky1975
26th August 2011, 13:20
so I was at the garage, put in 97 ( at mobile) wow more power - rang the shop they said it 's designed for 91. so back to the garage put in 91 - topped it up next day. That was two days ago.

on the run in was going fine then seemed to get to the point of running out of 97 then the 91 kicked in. The motor spluttered sand there seemed to be no power there for a bit. All up about a kilometetre then it was fine

was it just a case of the old and new fuel or is it something worse. it was really bad i put the throttle on and no reaction then like bang all at once?

has any one else had this situation, is it a case of the wrong fuel or ?

Flip
26th August 2011, 14:07
There is bugger all diference between 91 and 97. It will be 100% mixed up by the time you leave the service station. It's not the fuel.

Octane is a scientific measure of the fuels inability to ignite under compression, not its caloriphic value. It's only important in high compression, high performance race motors.

cooky1975
26th August 2011, 14:18
There is bugger all diference between 91 and 97. It will be 100% mixed up by the time you leave the service station. It's not the fuel.

Octane is a scientific measure of the fuels inability to ignite under compression, not its caloriphic value. It's only important in high compression, high performance race motors.

so what could it be then ? i really have no idea?

cooky1975
26th August 2011, 14:23
wont it do that as i just put 91 in on top of 97 it sputtered then it was fine?

Flip
26th August 2011, 14:34
Highly unlikely to be a 91-97 issue. Much more likely to be water or a wee speck of dirt blocking the float bowl needle or a hot spot of carbon in the cylinder head or some thing else that went away.

MSTRS
27th August 2011, 10:03
It'll be the flux capacitor. They are unnecessary, temperamental pieces of shit, that most bike shops remove before a new bike is sold. Yours must have slipped through the cracks.
:laugh::shifty:

BMWST?
27th August 2011, 10:11

not only race engines.higher compression street engines need higher octane.Higher compression gives you torque and efficiency ,but if you dont have the high octane you will get detonation.Most modern engines can wind back the ignition advance to counter that somewhat.

KiWiP
27th August 2011, 11:41
Might have been the power band slipping as went down the numbers. If you're mixing fuel it's some times worth putting some 95 in as well so the power band can come down in easy steps rather than one big one.:corn:

FJRider
27th August 2011, 13:21
Might have been the power band slipping as went down the numbers. If you're mixing fuel it's some times worth putting some 95 in as well so the power band can come down in easy steps rather than one big one.:corn:

Shit ... I hope it's not the power band slipping ... :shit: EXPENSIVE TO FIX ... <_<

A common fault on Suzuki's ... apparently ... :shifty:

nadroj
27th August 2011, 14:25
The magnet on the bottom of the fuel tank hasn't fallen off has it? It is there to separate impurities in the fuel and keep them to one side.