PDA

View Full Version : Winter Riding

chic 'n' charge
9th July 2005, 20:26
Winter Riding :cold:

Does anyone else find it depressing in winter?

My poor bike doesn't come out of garage for almost the whole of winter - am I just a big whimp? My partner laughs and says I am. :laugh:
I try to get enthusiastic but when I step out the door and feel a cold wind or know it might rain I go back inside and find something else to do, like jump on this website.

Let me know your thoughts.

Sensei
9th July 2005, 20:49
Winter rides are great fun . Buy the right gear & get out there . Would miss riding to much if I didn't ride through the winter . Time to get out & ride that BIKE !!

T.I.E
9th July 2005, 21:03
alot of it for me is the gear. get the right stuff that is comfortable and warm and it gets really easy.
the right gear makes it an excellent ride to be on.
but do some reasearch on the gear.
so go for it.

crashe
9th July 2005, 21:56

My poor bike doesn't come out of garage for almost the whole of winter - am I just a big whimp? My partner laughs and says I am. :laugh:
I try to get enthusiastic but when I step out the door and feel a cold wind or know it might rain I go back inside and find something else to do, like jump on this website.

Yep you are a big whimp.... :rofl: :rofl:

Get warmer gear and gear that stops ya getting wet... and get out there and ride ya bike. :cold: :cold:

Ride between the showers or downpours... or ride around the black clouds.... sure you may end up going a tad further, but you are still out there on ya bike.
:ride: :ride: :ride:

skidz
9th July 2005, 22:56
Ya gotta learn to harden up. I've been riding the Winters for 26 years and still love it.

Riff Raff
10th July 2005, 01:29
There's nothing like getting a sunny day in the middle of winter after a week of crap weather, putting on a few extra layers under your riding gear and getting out for a ride. Blows those winter blues away, and the cold, fresh air is invigorating.

quietguy
10th July 2005, 01:53
I'm with Riff on this one. Cold winter air up you on a crisp day is good stuff. Try opening your helmet and sucking it in at 100 klicks. It'll sort out any cobwebs and/or hangovers. S'good for what ails ya!!!

murhf3
10th July 2005, 11:58

Na ya not a wimp,in ch-ch the roads are always damp, wind chill dam freezing and the sun only comes out for 8 bloody hours,lately we have about 1 good day aweek, so when it shines dry I ride for a good4-6 hours, make the most of it. :cold: :cold: :ride: :weird:

onearmedbandit
10th July 2005, 12:26
And I sick and tired of shit on the roads during winter, grit etc. I believe that high corner speeds, decent lean angles, and grit are not a good mixture for staying upright. But I still get out when I can.

Holy Roller
10th July 2005, 12:55
It boils down to choices we make and the sort of person we are. :weird:
Now I've got things like heated grips big screen, warm clothing, the Mrs reckons that I have gone soft. Maybe I need to have softened a bit :whistle: :whocares: Now I can enjoy the ride rather than endure it. I sure don't miss burning my hands on the motor trying to warm them up on a frosty morning. I'll ride in any weather conditions but I am not crazy just a little unwell.

Any one here doing the (Ulysses) Frozen Pines Rally this coming weekend?

Try the Cold Kiwi for some great winter riding there and back, book a motel now if the tent has past its used by date.

Hitcher
10th July 2005, 14:56
Winter riding is great fun. OK, it may be a bit colder, but that's what clothes are for. And there's always heated grips! There is no such thing as a bad time of year to ride. I can't imagine leaving the STeed covered up for weeks at a stretch. What a horrible thought...

murhf3
10th July 2005, 18:26
Went for 100k ride in canterbury today,all the gear still fecking freezed me nuts of,I guess the older ya get the colder ya get. But I.ll still go to bed smilling, how many plp get to ride a bike, heaps of plp want to, but we all do, and its bloody great, even with my nose running like a tap, fingers frozen and nuts somewhere they shouldn.t be , its great. :Punk: :cold: :ride: :cold:

murhf3
10th July 2005, 18:28
Now I've got things like heated grips big screen, warm clothing, the Mrs reckons that I have gone soft. Maybe I need to have softened a bit :whistle: :whocares: Now I can enjoy the ride rather than endure it. I sure don't miss burning my hands on the motor trying to warm them up on a frosty morning. I'll ride in any weather conditions but I am not crazy just a little unwell.

Try the Cold Kiwi for some great winter riding there and back, book a motel now if the tent has past its used by date.
Mate its our age,remember when we were 20 we could ride thru the nite in -3 to party somewhere.

Velox
10th July 2005, 21:13
I used to just get really sick of having wet gear all the time, which not only stinks but is horrible to put back on again! But this winter has been diff, not only have I got a spare jacket and lotsa gloves, but I seem to have dodged riding in the rain somehow. Don't know how but I'm sure I could count the no. of times I have ridden in the rain this year on both hands, and I use my bike everyday. Strange.

But yeah - got to love those 'break in the storm' rides when the roads are clean after days of rain and the engine's just loving the cold air!

scumdog
10th July 2005, 21:21
Had the Sporties carb icing up today on the way back from the Bikes for Kids rally, bloddy pain in the arse, bike spits back/runs rough/dies after throttling off etc, even after a few km, anybody else have that problem??

Winter riding, pah!

Patch
10th July 2005, 21:29
[QUOTE=chic 'n' charge]Winter Riding :cold:

My poor bike doesn't come out of garage for almost the whole of winter - am I just a big whimp?

Yup. I did some time at Woodbourne many :moon: ago, never stopped us. Go buy some gauntlets, polyprops and a onepiece wetweather suit, and get out there.

I remember taking (my then) g/f down to Chch, as we slowed thru Kaikoura she mentioned she was cold and had wet boots. I told her we were almost there :devil2: she had no idea. Was pissin' down too.
She luv'd that trip, the hot shower and hot chocolate afterwards too.

There is always an upside to things.

Oh, see if you can do Woodbourne to Nelson faster than 44min :spudbooge I never could. :( Could only manage 49min.

Have fun in the rain

sels1
10th July 2005, 22:04
My poor bike doesn't come out of garage for almost the whole of winter - am I just a big whimp? .

'Fraid so. A very big one. Now get yr gears on and get out there.....

Goddess of Goof
10th July 2005, 22:52
Hey I reckon that heated grips would be great - and a superb safety device for Winter riding - don't know about you, but my hands get cold even in Winter gloves - and I don't feel safe enough with numb hands ! Can't respond quickly enuff in an emergency...... :no:

If there was a kit you could buy to rig up heated grips I'd like to know about it - and get installed on my bike.

Otherwise, how much would a bike shop charge to install whatever it takes to heat the handgrips? Do you need special plastic grips that can bear heating, or will the factory assembled grips be OK for the job?

Hmmmmmmmmm perhaps its time all bikes were manufactured with heated grips and a simple ON / OFF switch ?????

Also, a weather proof oversuit is essential, and a helmet liner.

I'd ride more in the Winter if I had all of the above.

:cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :no:

SPman
10th July 2005, 23:14
Heated grip kits are available at Motomail
...and very tempting they are, too

Beemer
10th July 2005, 23:50
I must confess I don't feel as excited about riding in winter like I do when it is warmer, but as long as it's not bucketing down with rain or there are gale force winds, I don't mind riding in winter. I prefer to go for a ride in the late morning or early afternoon when the sun is a bit higher - nothing worse than coming home along our windy, narrow country road after 4pm as the sun is setting and not being able to see a damned thing. I live in fear of meeting the milk tanker because the driver seems to think he owns the road!

I have been crook with a cold the past three weeks and I'm hanging out to go for a ride - looks like the weather won't be too bad around here this week so I should be able to take my Goose out flying again!

I do want some heated grips though, the Beemer has them and it really does make a big difference to your enjoyment if your hands are warm.

Will
11th July 2005, 07:02

I hadn't planned on it. No doubt there will be some from this neck of the woods. We also have a day ride going on Saturday. Maybe I could join in...I hadn't planned to but maybe I could shift my schedule around.
Oh damn! Can't. Moving one of our daughters into their first own home. Very important.

Catch up with you on the Remembrance perhaps?

Eurygnomes
11th July 2005, 12:48
Chic'n'Charge...I just rode in the wet for the first time this morning, kinda by mistake: it wasn't raining when I left home (otherwise I'm fairly certain I would have wimped out and taken the car) but it started about halfway through my 21k (count 'em) commute!

I'm actually really glad it did start raining because now I have a tiny bit of experience and now know that i'm not going to come off the bike the moment a drop of rain hits the tarmac. All I need is a little bit of confidence (but don't worry - I'm not riding like a loony) and I'm away laughing.

But I've got waterproof gear (and very happy I am to have it too) so despite the fact I was sitting in a bit of a puddle - I was warm and dry. Apart from my hands.

Paul in NZ
11th July 2005, 13:30
Yup... people in the north island know all about riding in the winter...

Yes - I rode year round when we lived in ChCh but was damn careful when I did so. The grit and shite on the road put me off more than the cold.

However, even in ChCh a ride on a sunny winters day is a true delight! Make sure you either have decent gloves or buy cheap thermal (Polyprop) gloves for inside your regular ones, thick socks and wrap up and away ya go! A good thermal / wind barrier at the neck is a good move, just be careful of your helmet misting up...

Brilliant!

Paul N

LB
12th July 2005, 05:28
I don't think you're a wimp at all chic'n'charge.

I don't do as much riding in winter as I do in summer - and the rides are shorter (a bit like the days really!)

I've got very good riding gear and heated grips, but I still pick my days. I don't ride in the rain by choice.

Getting cold on the bike is as much (or more) a safety issue rather than a discomfort issue - it's very easy to lock up the front brake if you can't feel your fingers.

I ride my bike for pleasure, and if it's a day when I know I'm not going to enjoy it then I don't.

Having said that, I've had some magical winter rides on a fine sunny clear day with snow glistening on the Tararuas/Rimutakas.

I don't give a shit if people think I'm a wimp because I choose when I ride.

Beemer
13th July 2005, 15:24
.I ride my bike for pleasure, and if it's a day when I know I'm not going to enjoy it then I don't.

I don't give a shit if people think I'm a wimp because I choose when I ride.

My thoughts exactly LB! I love going for a ride, but if I don't feel 100% or if it's freezing or really windy, I'd rather take the car.

I had to go to Palmerston North for a meeting today and thought I might take the bike, but I'm glad now I didn't. The weather was fine and dry, but the wind really picked up while I was up there and the car was getting quite buffeted on the way home.

Even my husband comments as we drive along in the car when it's bucketing down outside "I'm glad I'm not on the bike today!"

Lou Girardin
13th July 2005, 16:40
Hey I reckon that heated grips would be great - and a superb safety device for Winter riding - don't know about you, but my hands get cold even in Winter gloves - and I don't feel safe enough with numb hands ! Can't respond quickly enuff in an emergency...... :no:

If there was a kit you could buy to rig up heated grips I'd like to know about it - and get installed on my bike.

Otherwise, how much would a bike shop charge to install whatever it takes to heat the handgrips? Do you need special plastic grips that can bear heating, or will the factory assembled grips be OK for the job?

Hmmmmmmmmm perhaps its time all bikes were manufactured with heated grips and a simple ON / OFF switch ?????

Also, a weather proof oversuit is essential, and a helmet liner.

I'd ride more in the Winter if I had all of the above.

:cold: :cold: :cold: :cold: :no:

Heated grips = around $100.00 for complete kit.
Baehr heated gloves = $399.00 Mmmmmmm toasty! Like little 'lecky blankets for your hands.

Liv, Norway
18th September 2005, 20:28
Hi you Kiwies!

-How cold is it in a normal day down there? Snow?
(I'm in Norway.)

It feels much colder to ride in +3 and rain than in -13 and sun.
But I don't ride when there are ice and/or salt on the road.
I don't feel cold in +5 and sun because I wear electric clothes. And wool.

The summer is nearly over here now; I had to scrape ice from the windshield on my car last week, but it was fine weather for a ride yesterday. I was glad I had my el-socks and my el-vest. And I was sorry for leaving my el-gloves at home - lesson learned; I'll wear my el-gloves next time!

Figure out what to wear so you feel fine. If you don't feel fine you get stiff and cold and you are not a good rider.

Have fun, or get some wood to your fire place!
..I get some wood...

:-) Liv.

Swoop
15th November 2005, 08:52
Having bought a bike in winter and "got back into it" while the sun is shining, I'm getting to dislike summer!!! Too bloody hot and sweaty for riding:doh:
The best thing is seeing all the other bikers out and about!!!:2thumbsup
As others have said, get some good quality thermals, especially glove liners, and get out there!!! I get to play about in -20 degrees (another sport) during winter, and the thermals DO make the difference...

:ride:

alley cat
15th November 2005, 15:31
Sometimes wen i tough it out in the crappy weather i enjoy it more.:blink:
Dont think ive gone mad yet, its just a buzz to get through it and into the hot shower with your fingers and toes burning off. And laugh about how shit it was or scary. I always remember my torrential rain rides as sum of the best, even if i was hating it at the time. I love a challenge......sometimes.:brick:

buellbabe
6th December 2005, 13:36

I get a kick out of riding in bad weather..... but seriously I probably ride as much if not more in Winter than I do in Summer! We are bloody lucky in Nz that we can ride all year round, ya just gotta have the right gear and good tyres! I recommend the Cold Kiwi, its Great fun, drink enuf and you won't feel the cold....

scumdog
7th December 2005, 00:39
Sometimes wen i tough it out in the crappy weather i enjoy it more.:blink:
Dont think ive gone mad yet, its just a buzz to get through it and into the hot shower with your fingers and toes burning off. And laugh about how shit it was or scary. I always remember my torrential rain rides as sum of the best, even if i was hating it at the time. I love a challenge......sometimes.:brick:

I know what you mean, I don't mind the rain too much (except at night 'cos of headlight glare) and it's great to hop into the hot shower afterwards - although it backfired on C.B and me when we called in at the Moeraki camping ground a couple of years ago and both stripped and got into the shower in a little unheated cabin - and the hot water tank only held about 20 litres and lasted 10 minutes!!!! sheesh! that was not good! (But the wine and a nice bed helped)

Stevo
19th December 2005, 22:30
I think the real problem is Chic n Charge's thermostat, or central heating unit. I wander round in shorts and a Tshirt and she in long pants socks slippers and rugby type jersey and has to put on a polar fleece to stay warm.

scumdog
19th December 2005, 22:35
I think the real problem is Chic n Charge's thermostat, or central heating unit. I wander round in shorts and a Tshirt and she in long pants socks slippers and rugby type jersey and has to put on a polar fleece to stay warm.

I think the pertinent word is 'she', all shes come with different thermostats to hes and feel the cold more. (even when it isn't cold!):weird: :wait: