PDA

View Full Version : Cycle Works - where have they gone?

Dean Chamberlain
29th August 2011, 07:49
Hi there,

I went to visit Cycle Works in Lower Hutt Wellington on Saturday and they have closed? I spoke to a guy further down the road at the lawn mower repair shop. He told me that they are now based in a shed on the owners property. Does anyone have contact details etc? I want a 4 into 1 exhaust for my bike and I have been told these guys are great.

Thanks in advance.

Dean

Dodgy_Matt
29th August 2011, 07:50
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/138066-Cycleworks-is-closing-where-to-now-in-Wellington

Have a look here
Or

Cycleworks
Phone number 04 526 2345

Working from new workshop in Akatarawas.
2019 Akatarawa Road, RD 2, Upper Hutt 5372
No longer at Eastern Hutt Road.

New work email address
cycleworks@xtra.co.nz

BIG DOUG
29th August 2011, 09:23
sorry never liked there pipes,had friend's fit them to there bikes and lost performance building pipes is an art plus he had no dyno to prove his pipes worked.

Taz
29th August 2011, 09:25
sorry never liked there pipes,had friend's fit them to there bikes and lost performance building pipes is an art plus he had no dyno to prove his pipes worked.

So you don't know where they are then?

Hugo Nougo
29th August 2011, 09:51
Phone number still appears to work, 04 9392925, they never worked mondays. I run a big bore header pipe of Damiens(spelling?) own design on my old harley arse kicking xr 600, it breathes alot better thanks to his knowledge and craftsmanship.

Str8 Jacket
29th August 2011, 12:33

Weird. Everyone else I know that have had Cycleworks pipes fitted loves them.....

Crasherfromwayback
29th August 2011, 12:35
Weird. Everyone else I know that have had Cycleworks pipes fitted loves them.....

Back in the bad old days of his slash cut 4-1's...they were total shit and made far less HP than the std exhaust system.

jellywrestler
29th August 2011, 12:37
not everyone...

jellywrestler
29th August 2011, 12:38
Hi there,

I went to visit Cycle Works in Lower Hutt Wellington on Saturday and they have closed? I spoke to a guy further down the road at the lawn mower repair shop. He told me that they are now based in a shed on the owners property. Does anyone have contact details etc? I want a 4 into 1 exhaust for my bike and I have been told these guys are great.

Thanks in advance.

Dean
up in the akatarawas somewhere

Str8 Jacket
29th August 2011, 12:46
not everyone...

haha, well those that *I* know have had them are very happy. Horses for courses and all that crap.....

Crasherfromwayback
29th August 2011, 12:55
haha, well those that *I* know have had them are very happy. Horses for courses and all that crap.....

And I'm sure his later works got far better too! Gotta start somewhere.

Dean Chamberlain
29th August 2011, 13:55
Yup is working from home so going out to see him next week to discuss my bike etc. Will post how it goes but I have every confidence as I know guys that are very pleased and have had a number of bikes sorted by Damon

pete376403
29th August 2011, 21:34
Back in the bad old days of his slash cut 4-1's...they were total shit and made far less HP than the std exhaust system.
Back in the bad old days of slash cut 4-1s, replacing rusted out factory pipes cost more than the bikes were worth, this would have been the main driver for purchasing a locally made system.

Anyway did anyone ever do a back-to-back dyno test on a bike with standard pipes and then a CW4-1?

Still got one of his pipes on the GS1100, but with a far quieter muffler.

Crasherfromwayback
29th August 2011, 21:55
Back in the bad old days of slash cut 4-1s, replacing rusted out factory pipes cost more than the bikes were worth, this would have been the main driver for purchasing a locally made system.

Anyway did anyone ever do a back-to-back dyno test on a bike with standard pipes and then a CW4-1?

Still got one of his pipes on the GS1100, but with a far quieter muffler.

I agree 100%. They were an awesome option for saving money. And yes...I've seen a GSX1100SZ on our Dyno with both. I admire what he did with his business.

BMWST?
29th August 2011, 22:10

just like all the other 4 1s then

Crasherfromwayback
30th August 2011, 08:05
just like all the other 4 1s then

Ah...no. Yoshimura 4-1's back in the day kicked arse, as did Kerker.

F5 Dave
30th August 2011, 12:34
Yeah the early pipes where a bread & butter starter, but like said, you have to start somewhere & there was the need for sure.

Obviously someone shouldn't be judged purely on their first work. But clearly he learnt a shit load over the proceeding years.
as a footnote; back in the day my CBX550 had one of his first canister cans & it was faster than 2 mates std piped ones.

Also there is a commercial reality that you can't R&D everything to death or you won't make any money esp in NZ, for example I understand he sold 1 675 system. No one wants to pay top $ without getting ARROW stickers on the side.

I think he able to make something as good as you are prepared to pay for.

Clearly this goes beyond exhausts to bike engineering.
I've messed around getting work done at various places, but ages ago I realised if I wanted it done right it was a far safer bet to drop it off & say 'here's what I think, but what's the best way?' & get him to do that.