PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Newbie

I14
30th August 2011, 20:59
I'm a geriatric roadracer (last bike a VFR400) and have decided I've been there done that which translates to mean I'm not fast enough so am selling the fleet and would like to get into adventure riding. Mostly my riding would be off-road but bike would need to be road legal to get to and from the trails. There aren't very many road legal off-roaders on TradeMe in the sub 450cc class. My feeling is I would like a light bike that can be dropped and picked up easily (had plenty of practice on the track). Can anyone advise a good starting bike up to about $4K? Happy 2 stroke or 4 stroke, preferably electric start and 450cc max? I can see there's heaps of reading on tyres so that will come next post!

bart
30th August 2011, 21:23
Drz400 ......

Shewolf
30th August 2011, 21:25
Welcome - hope to see you on a ride soon.

There can be only one....
DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR DR [Jedi mind trick]

Now I'll sit over here waiting for the flames :shifty:

Eddieb
30th August 2011, 21:33
Drz400 ......

I'm with the brat on this one.

Padmei
30th August 2011, 21:37
DRZ400 or KLX400 (exactly same bike just different colours). On;y prob is the low gearing = buzzy over 100kms & small tank.
They are popular tho so hard to find one under $4K. Most 250s are still too expensive as learners want them.
Nows the time to buy one tho before the spring kicks in

Eddieb
30th August 2011, 22:14
There's a '98 XR400 in dorkland

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dual-purpose/auction-403337302.htm

Waihou Thumper
31st August 2011, 06:08
I would seriously consider looking at 650cc, in the end you might pay approx the same price. A older DR650 can be bought for a good price, so can a KLR etc. At the end of the day they may be almost the same weight or thereabouts. You will want to ride on the road and having that extra bit of power will help, especially when you load it up a bit with gear. If you are going to concentrate on off road and strip the bike down before etc, then a lighter smaller bike 250-450 would of course be better :) There are plenty out there and maybe focus on the Japanese bikes, easy to work on, and parts readily available usually around most major towns. Good luck :)

vegeman
31st August 2011, 13:00
I'd agree in the Dr400z as well.

Not heavy, not too powerfull, reliable, can ride all day at 100kph, plenty of parts and accessories, not expensive...and, there isn't really much choice these days.

DR650 - old now...come on, it is
Honda - nothing of note
Yammy - WR250 as its road legal
Kwackers = DR400

KTM -spendy, but perform (i loooove my 690e)
Beemer 650GS dakar thingys...and KLR650...might be a bit heavier than you would like.

Yammy XT660's are nice, Bmw800...getting up in price

Land whales like GS1200 and XT1200...expensive, heavy

Eddieb
31st August 2011, 13:26
I'd agree in the Dr400z as well.

Not heavy, not too powerfull, reliable, can ride all day at 100kph, plenty of parts and accessories, not expensive...and, there isn't really much choice these days.

Honda - nothing of note
Yammy - WR250 as its road legal
Kwackers = DR400

KTM -spendy, but perform (i loooove my 690e)
Beemer 650GS dakar thingys...and KLR650...might be a bit heavier than you would like.

Yammy XT660's are nice, Bmw800...getting up in price

Land whales like GS1200 and XT1200...expensive, heavy

KTM, also you wait forever for any parts in NZ. It was a significant factor in my decision to sell mine.

Woodman
31st August 2011, 13:50

So are the roads, so old designs are pretty irrelevant really unless you are a fashionista.

OMG did I just defend a DR?

buggsubique
31st August 2011, 14:25
Get it, you won't regret it. No one I know of has ever regretted owning this bike. Some move on to bigger bikes, but you'll never hear anyone dis it.

Eddieb
31st August 2011, 15:03
So are the roads, so old designs are pretty irrelevant really unless you are a fashionista.

OMG did I just defend a DR?

I prefer to think of the DR650 as a well proven design ;)

I think a WR250 would be the best choice for what you describe but you won't get one in that price range, hence the vote for the DRz400.

Padmei
31st August 2011, 17:48
I prefer to think of the DR650 as a well proven design ;)

I think a WR250 would be the best choice for what you describe but you won't get one in that price range, hence the vote for the DRz400.

Unfortuately I doubt they will ever really be affordable as although they are splendid machines they have not been sold in bulk like the DRZ's - their rep will always keep prices high.

I14
31st August 2011, 19:39
Thanks guys, the DRZ400 gets the vote. When you look at them on Trademe most appear to be not road legal. Does this mean they've never been road registered in which case am I up for VIN costs as well as on-road costs? Were they all supplied originally with indicators, mirrors etc and previous owner has removed or are these bits optional extras? In other words can I only look at those that explicitly say "road legal'?

CrazyFrog
31st August 2011, 19:47
Thanks guys, the DRZ400 gets the vote. When you look at them on Trademe most appear to be not road legal. Does this mean they've never been road registered in which case am I up for VIN costs as well as on-road costs? Were they all supplied originally with indicators, mirrors etc and previous owner has removed or are these bits optional extras? In other words can I only look at those that explicitly say "road legal'?

Look for specifically the DRZ400 E model, as these came into dealerships road ready and able to be vinned no trouble. The standard DRZ400's are usually kick start only, although newer models have the leccy leg, with basic trip meter and enduro clip on tail light, wereas the E's have the electronic speedo, full rear light/plate holder, indicators etc.
The 400 SM versions are obviously fully road legal and have 17" front and rear road wheels.

Padmei
31st August 2011, 20:49
Most KLX400s are roadie. As crazyfrog once advised me look for the lil lunchbag on the back of the seat.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/133267-Talk-to-me-about-DRZ-KLX-400s?highlight=talk+drz

In the above thread I also questioned whether it would be easy to buy a cheap off road & put it on the road - not worth it.

There may be a few who disagree with me but I'd defintiely get a later electric start one. When I bought mine I resigned myself to the price being $5k for a decent used one. I picked mine (2005) up tho for $4K in pretty good nick. I was offered one for $4K which I tried to get the owner to drop lower as I knew he had another bike & no money but he relisted it the next week at a higher thann original price & sold it for $5200

warewolf
31st August 2011, 21:48
Thanks guys, the DRZ400 gets the vote. When you look at them on Trademe most appear to be not road legal. Does this mean they've never been road registered in which case am I up for VIN costs as well as on-road costs? Were they all supplied originally with indicators, mirrors etc and previous owner has removed or are these bits optional extras? In other words can I only look at those that explicitly say "road legal'?Unfortunately most "trail" bikes in NZ that come road-registerable tend to never actually get registered and all the ancillaries lost in someone's shed. Makes it hard for us trail-biased adventurers. Other countries mandate road-legal bikes for off-circuit use (ie forests & trail rides) so pretty much all enduro bikes stay registered.

If the bike has been listed with LTNZ on entry then you are only up for a couple of hundred extra for the first registration, assuming all the road-legal accessories are there. At least, that was the story a few years ago when I enquired about my 200EXC. Nowadays you have to get a brake certification but that sounds about the most difficult part, and is no real problem.

I hear mixed stories about registering bikes. Some have taken completely non-registerable bikes (eg CR125, KTM SX) fitted up road gear and registered them. Others have said they've spend $4K at dealer wholesale trying to get an XR400 registered, when it already was essentially a road legal bike! I guess if I ever get the desire to cough up $600 annually to register the 200 then I might find out for sure what the process is. However when shopping a little while ago I pretty much decided not to buy anything that didn't have a WOF - just didn't want the hassle and risk of it being a white elephant. Further, that I'd rather go through the hassle of shopping overseas and privately importing than converting something locally, especially given the extremely limited choice here.

PS there's also a DRZ400S which at times had a tin tank and I think a CV carb.