PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Repairs

John
10th July 2005, 12:55
Hi All, Just general interest topic - I have a leak in the tank (stupid little pinhole bastard)... It destroyed the paint work on the rear fairing and tank but that’s ok, I plugged it will a bit of metal shards and superglue.

Anyway I was wondering, when the tank gets "lined" as such how long does this take? I hear they treat it first (to remove some rust) and then they line it with plastic - this process taking upwards of 2 weeks??

(Also was wondering would just putting some oil sloshed round in the tank ok as a temporary "stopper" of the rust?)..

TygerTung
10th July 2005, 13:13
Why not just solder up the hole? I can't see that being a problem!

John
10th July 2005, 13:19
er.. I dont want a fix where I haveto pay for the paint to be redone each time the tank busts (its got a largish amount in it). plus the plastic seal will stop any future rust.

scumdog
10th July 2005, 13:27
POR15 and others make 'sloshing compound' kits, it won't take two weeks to treat a tank for rust and get the plastic lining poured.

They work well and save a lot of messing with solder etc and since they don't involve heat your paint is left alone.

John
10th July 2005, 13:30
cool most excellent I will probably hunt a distrubuter out and do it myself save some dollars, and get it repainted thanks :)

FROSTY
10th July 2005, 14:01
I'd suss out the price of a decent second hand tank to be honest.
The rust is caused by water in the tank and youll end up chasing ya tail
one option Ive used is cleaned up the tank reALLY WELL then filled the bottom corner with 2 pot epoxy. -itll reduce the tannk capacity by about 2 tablespoons but itll contain the rust

John
10th July 2005, 14:07
hmm I will see how much rust I can convince to leave, its not a huge amount compared to most other tanks I will see how it goes thanks for the tip :D.

Coyote
10th July 2005, 19:39
What can you do with a dented tank? You can't blow out a motorcycle tank right?

Ixion
10th July 2005, 22:51
What can you do with a dented tank? You can't blow out a motorcycle tank right?

Not usually. I have done it with a very simple dent - more of a "popin" . But you can sometimes pull the dent out by drilling a small hole and putting a self tapper into it and pulling with vicegrips. I also refined this once by drilling two holes to screw a plate onto the inside of the tank (accessed through the filler hole). Then pull like mad. Heating the tank as appropriate with a gas torch helps (**WARNING ** Gas torch + gas tank = DANGER. No responsibility accepted for anyone who plays silly buggers).

Worst case, cut the bottom out of the tank, panel beat out dent in normal way and weld bottom back up. If the tank's chrome plated , you're f**cked , cos it's almost impossible to get smooth enough to replate.

Pixie
11th July 2005, 02:57
POR15 and others make 'sloshing compound' kits, it won't take two weeks to treat a tank for rust and get the plastic lining poured.

They work well and save a lot of messing with solder etc and since they don't involve heat your paint is left alone.
The POR15 system is very good,It comes with a cleaner,metal prep and the coating.About $60
www.por15.co.nz

750Y
11th July 2005, 08:24
I used a kit for my old klf300.
I got it from Hawera motorcycles/tractors.
it cost about $60 from memory & was awesome.
it was a three stage kit.
cleaning solution to slosh around(nasty shit),
then a treatment solution.
then an epoxy solution.
it took me about 3 days from memory but coulda rushed it in 1-2 with the help of a hot air gun. definitely a 'permanent' type fix.

Coyote
11th July 2005, 09:00
Not usually. I have done it with a very simple dent - more of a "popin" . But you can sometimes pull the dent out by drilling a small hole and putting a self tapper into it and pulling with vicegrips. I also refined this once by drilling two holes to screw a plate onto the inside of the tank (accessed through the filler hole). Then pull like mad. Heating the tank as appropriate with a gas torch helps (**WARNING ** Gas torch + gas tank = DANGER. No responsibility accepted for anyone who plays silly buggers).

Worst case, cut the bottom out of the tank, panel beat out dent in normal way and weld bottom back up. If the tank's chrome plated , you're f**cked , cos it's almost impossible to get smooth enough to replate.
Thanks for the info. My tanks pretty much stuffed cosmetically but at least it doesn't leak

WINJA
11th July 2005, 17:23
5 MINUTE ARALDITE SEALS PINHOLE LEAKS IN PETROL TANKS