PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear - and not using it when ya should?

slofox
31st August 2011, 15:27
Who else is too lazy to put the wet gear on?

I always have the rain gear in the tail bag. So's I can use it "whenever it's wet"...ahaha.

Had the bike at work yesterday. Home time comes and it has rained a little. The road's wet but it's not actually raining. And laziness dictates that "it'll be OK without the rain gear" since it's a pain in the arse to get it all onboard.

Set out for home. Only 8km or so. Can't possibly get too wet in that time eh.

Wrong.

Get a red light. Stop. And it pisses down - just long enough to fill the boots, fill the gloves and soak through the suede bits on the leathers.

Fucking sodden by the time I got home.

Bugger.

Bald Eagle
31st August 2011, 15:34
You need a longer commute :laugh: - it's the 8km that's your problem. My daily trip is 52km each way , so the - she'll be right has a more stringent test, even so have been caught out a couple of time in heavy bursts of rain in the last km or so from home.

31st August 2011, 15:41
I once had a spanky brand new and expensive Spyke wet weather suit. I took it with me down to SI. Had it on the back of the bike for 2 weeks with no rain. One time I stopped for fuel and it was gone. I lost it. I was pissed cause it was few hundy and I didn't even use it yet. Worse thing was that about 30kms down the road it started to pour and I got soaked. :facepalm:

Maha
31st August 2011, 15:41
....I have an over suit that is fantastic but I can never really be asred putting it on.
My normal riding gear is really good but in the 'non-heavy' wet.
If it were to look gloomy before a ride I will put my oil skin vest onboard just in case.
That was $80 well spent.

george formby
31st August 2011, 15:44
It's one of those infallible laws of the Universe innit? Will it? Won't it? Bollocks. Too late:laugh:

That's why I wear Goretex breathable over gear. So my clothes can dry after I put it on:facepalm:

wysper
31st August 2011, 16:11

Wrong.

Get a red light. Stop. And it pisses down - just long enough to fill the boots, fill the gloves and soak through the suede bits on the leathers.

Yeah, I got caught in that too, on the way home from the in laws, but I didn't have any rain gear to not put on. My revit one piece is not as waterproof as it once was so am looking about for something to replace it with.

I know you recommend the Rainbird from Para so that is on the list.
I am also considering Oilskin of some description.

rastuscat
31st August 2011, 16:16
Rain gear is almost a wrist slashing issue.

If I wear it, it doesn't rain. If I leave it at home it rains.

If I don't wear it but carry it in a top box, it looks like raining so much that I stop, put it on, then it doesn't rain. If it's in the top box and I don't put it on, it rains.

Harumph.

Quasievil
31st August 2011, 16:32

Who cares, get wet or dont, I couldnt give a rats arse

is any mind fart thought worthy of a new thread these days ?

just saying is all<_<

wysper
31st August 2011, 16:41

I could, not as much fun riding drenched!

Quasievil
31st August 2011, 16:49
I could, not as much fun riding drenched!

then put ya coat on, or dont, I dont care, is my point

Road kill
31st August 2011, 16:52
I bought a flash as rain suit a few years ago,,the only thing it "had to do" was keep my nuts dry,,,which the liar in the shop assured me it would.
First time out Auckland to Turangi Via the western access,,,,wet nuts by half way,,,havn't bothered with it since.

MarkH
31st August 2011, 17:17

Irony?

Obviously you care or you wouldn't read this thread & post in it (twice). Anyone posting in a thread that they aren't interested in would have to be 10x as daft as the bugger that started the thread!

slofox
31st August 2011, 17:27

just saying is all<_<

Very slow day here...very slow.

wysper
31st August 2011, 17:50

Stop playing mr tough guy. we all know you care :love:

Maha
31st August 2011, 18:00

I always have the rain gear in the tail bag. So's I can use it "whenever it's wet"...ahaha.

Had the bike at work yesterday. Home time comes and it has rained a little. The road's wet but it's not actually raining. And laziness dictates that "it'll be OK without the rain gear" since it's a pain in the arse to get it all onboard.

Wrong.

Fucking sodden by the time I got home.

Bugger.

So what you are saying is that your Quasi gear leaked?..:confused:

TAG: Wednesday Wind-Up

Dodgy_Matt
31st August 2011, 18:00
I wear my wet weather jacket and pants in the mornings on the way to work... unless it looks mint.
But I don’t wear them on the way home unless it’s raining when I go to leave work.
If I get rained on, on the way home and I don’t have my wets on I don’t care.. I just changed when I get home.
:shifty:

Parlane
31st August 2011, 18:34
If it's raining I ride faster, because the windscreen pushes the rain over the top of me. It's only when I stop or go the speed limit or below that I get wet.

Tag: Wind-up Wednesday

slofox
31st August 2011, 18:38
So what you are saying is that your Quasi gear leaked?..:confused:

TAG: Wednesday Wind-Up

You're a shit stirrer, Maha, y'know that?

Actually, only the suede panel in the trou leaked. Most of the wet was through water running off the leathers into boots and gloves.

Parlane
31st August 2011, 18:43
You're a shit stirrer, Maha, y'know that?

Actually, only the suede panel in the trou leaked. Most of the wet was through water running off the leathers into boots and gloves.

Where do you keep your hands? How did the water get in your gloves?

DrunkenMistake
31st August 2011, 18:52
Where do you keep your hands? How did the water get in your gloves?

Cuffs over jacket would do it,
same with boots,
I wear cuffless summer gloves, I only ride a 16k trip a day, thats 8 there, and 8 back so im not bothered by the cold or wet if they get wet that is, so I get the opposite, I get water going up my forearm not much mind you, and I think once I have gotten wet where the stretch panels are around the armpits.
I have my Quasi Jacket which besides the panels like I just said has never let a drop of water in, and I usually ride in jeans yeah I know get over it :violin: so I carry some warehouse $10 water proof pants under the pillion seat, but I only wear them on the way to work, im to lazy to fight into water proof pants when im 6 mins from home haha

31st August 2011, 18:54

just saying is all<_<

Well someone didn't get their morning titty today....:mellow:

DrunkenMistake
31st August 2011, 18:57
Well someone didn't get their morning titty today....:mellow:

Just needs a juice bike is all

Parlane
31st August 2011, 19:01
Cuffs over jacket would do it,
same with boots,

But if your arms are horizontal... My gloves have two cuffs, one to go under the jacket, and one to go over.

TomJ
31st August 2011, 20:43
Rain gear is almost a wrist slashing issue.

If I wear it, it doesn't rain. If I leave it at home it rains.

If I don't wear it but carry it in a top box, it looks like raining so much that I stop, put it on, then it doesn't rain. If it's in the top box and I don't put it on, it rains.

Harumph.

yup, with you there the whole way! my worst memory was going to a restaurant with mates so wore smartish Levi 501s. On the way home it poured so hard that I had the familiar 'rain off the fuel tank straight into the crotch feeling' not the best end to a night on the town!

skinman
31st August 2011, 21:20
Yep the daily decision. I can take a moderate rain for about 15min before it will get though my cordura. The rainsuit is good but a bitch to get into.

MarkH
1st September 2011, 00:27
I have waterproofed my leather jacket, but for commuting around Auckland I usually wear Dragin' Jeans which are about as effective at stopping water as a sieve. I have some over-pants that work well, but I just can't be bothered with them in fine weather. The trouble is that the sun can be shining and within 2 minutes it is raining, then I stop at some traffic lights and my pants are getting soaked.

On a longer ride I'll wear the over-pants or my leathers if the weather is dodgy, but on a commute of a few minutes it just seems that it is worth taking a chance, most of the time I get away with it.

wysper
1st September 2011, 07:35
not the best end to a night on the town!

Better at the end than the beginning of the night though!

TomJ
1st September 2011, 23:14
Better at the end than the beginning of the night though!

Yup....turning up with an obvious damp patch is never a good look