PDA

View Full Version : HW 22 WARNING

Quasievil
10th July 2005, 18:27
Went out for a quick ride up 22 this afternoon with Torque and Gixxerboy and found the road in absolute crap condition, they have done alot of repair to the road and thrown alot of gravel around (mostly on the corners) trouble is they have not sign posted alot of it.
Take special care particulary at the Ngruawhahia end gravel on the corners and its thick and not sign posted.

We only went to the Hot springs and turn around and gave up

Take Care out there

N4CR
10th July 2005, 18:30
'Sees the secret agenda'.

Obvious.. they are trying to get rid of bikes :nono: after the complaints.

Well.. would be interesting if that was the case.

Riff Raff
10th July 2005, 18:38
Thanks for the heads up Quasi. I'm a bit nervous around unmarked gravel these days.

bugjuice
10th July 2005, 18:40
yeah, saw that last time I was there on TS's ride last week.. it's only those few corners, it picks up after that.. tis shit that they aren't sign posted..

for the way back, we went the alternative way back to the 22.. FF would be able to explain better than I, so i'm not going to try.. missed the road works anyway..

Quasievil
10th July 2005, 18:42
yeah one corner in particular was really really dangerous as it was a "WOOHOO" corner , you know one that looks great, entered it fast and HOLLY FUCK !!!! really really bad , Oh and fast was like 80 kph

Firefight
10th July 2005, 18:52
ah, yeah good onya mate.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=279218&highlight=road+condition+update#post279218

F/F :ride:

raster
10th July 2005, 19:21
Thanks for the heads up

danb
10th July 2005, 19:26
Ugggg GRRRAAAAVVEL :puke:

Well SH22 owned me :motu:

Zapf
10th July 2005, 20:07
should we all go and sweep that road one day? Or better still FF can bring one of the water canon from the airport along and blast all the gravel off the road? :Punk:

Motu
11th July 2005, 07:28
Sounds good to me it'll keep the idiots from going down 22.Never ever had a problem with unmarked gravel on that road - if you are over riding your bike there is only one to blame...

Ixion
11th July 2005, 13:15
Sounds good to me it'll keep the idiots from going down 22.Never ever had a problem with unmarked gravel on that road - if you are over riding your bike there is only one to blame...

Seen plenty of gravel on it. Never had a problem though. Road like that, you need to expect there'll be gravel. And cow shit. And assorted odds and ends. It's a local back road. Intended to service the needs of the locals. If we borrow it (cos it's fun) we can hardly expect them to turn it into a race track for our benefit.
:ride: :ride: :yes:

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 13:57

I hope you arent refering to me as being an idiot Motu. I think you would have a problem with gravel unmarked on a corner if you were not expecting it, besides if not you perhaps others would..... which is why I put up the fucking thread in the first place !!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 13:59
It's a local back road. Intended to service the needs of the locals. If we borrow it (cos it's fun) we can hardly expect them to turn it into a race track for our benefit.

Oh for Fucks sake fool, what you talking shite for.

Anyone else got something fucking stupid to say ?

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 14:28
Gravel on a road now there's a thought, if ya can't handle the stuff get a cage....... :rofl:

Ive sent you some nice rep for that one :weird:

Motu
11th July 2005, 14:34
I hope you arent refering to me as being an idiot Motu. I think you would have a problem with gravel unmarked on a corner if you were not expecting it, besides if not you perhaps others would..... which is why I put up the fucking thread in the first place !!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Thing is,it's a back road,I expect gravel or anything else to crop up - if I dump it on a corner because of gravel I didn't see or expect I will be really heavy on blame...only one person to blame and I'll be kicking his arse for weeks!

And if I lost it in gravel anyway I would be kicking myself for poor riding skills.

If you can't handle back roads - stay off them and leave them to us that can....and don't complain about a bit of nature.

Big Dave
11th July 2005, 14:38
Thing is,it's a back road,I expect gravel or anything else to crop up - if I dump it on a corner because of gravel I didn't see or expect I will be really heavy on blame...only one person to blame and I'll be kicking his arse for weeks!

And if I lost it in gravel anyway I would be kicking myself for poor riding skills.

If you can't handle back roads - stay off them and leave them to us that can....and don't complain about a bit of nature.

nah - I'm with quasi - i hammer through there, and a heads up about some loose shit that wasn't there before is appreciated.

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 14:42

Its a warning Motu, get it a warning designed to WARN others to prevent them from crashing and hurting themselves.

If a road swept away in a flood and wasnt there at 12.00pm at night ALL OF A SUDDEN, would you prefer to be warned ?

Ixion
11th July 2005, 14:49
nah - I'm with quasi - i hammer through there, and a heads up about some loose shit that wasn't there before is appreciated.

Always appreciated. But not expected. If someone is kind enough to warn me of a hazard, I will be grateful. But I don't expect the locals to turn out and warn me that there's gravel, or they're shifting the cows or whatever.

'Tis my job to ride so that I can deal with whatever the road comes up with. If I see gravel I'll avoid it or slow down. If I don't see it until too late, I'm riding too fast and not doing my job. (Actually, I remember riding SH22 when it was ALL gravel)

Not the job of the locals to hold my hand and look after me. Gravel on this corner, oh my. Around the next corner maybe a bathtub (yes, I have encountered a bathtub in the middle of the road on a blind corner. Such is life)

For those that do not wish to adjust their pace to the possible presence of such hazards, the Government have kindly provided a safe and well signposted alternative, SH1.

Incidentally does anyone remember when this practice of sticking signs up for gravel and whatnot began? I'm sure there weren't any such when I began riding.

Ixion
11th July 2005, 14:55
Its a warning Motu, get it a warning designed to WARN others to prevent them from crashing and hurting themselves.

If a road swept away in a flood and wasnt there at 12.00pm at night ALL OF A SUDDEN, would you prefer to be warned ?

I have encountered this. It was at night, though not midnight . 'Twas pissing down with rain though. I would indeed have preferred to be warned, but I was not. I stopped , inspected, and turned back. Nothing else to do. 'Twas too steep and fast for the Velo to cross.

We do thank you for the warning Mr Quasievil, merely commenting that gravel is always to be expected on such roads. But the specific warning to reinforce the general caution is a good thing and can do no harm.

justsomeguy
11th July 2005, 14:57
Hey you idiots......

Quasi is doing us a favour by telling us of potential hazards and giving us a heads-up on what we may expect.

Thanks Quasi :niceone:

I understand that you are all ex MotoGP and Isle of Man TT multiple winners but for the rest of us mere mortals Quasi's heads-up is useful stuff.

So if you can't say anything nice - shut up.

Motu
11th July 2005, 14:58

I'd hope it would be superfluous,there should be enough clues for me to pick up if a bridge went out...baring a Tarawera eruption.Sure,sometimes I get it wrong - if only I'd a looked up I'd a seen the safe falling out of the sky.

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 15:02
Dunno why I bother, I will see if I can remove this to fucken hard miserable arseholes

White trash
11th July 2005, 15:05
Cheers big fellah, may just have saved me some more gravel rash.

Motu
11th July 2005, 15:14
Dunno why I bother, I will see if I can remove this to fucken hard miserable arseholes

Gunna take your ball home so we can't play?

A better warning is if you riding on country roads you need to be very,very careful of natural hazzards.Don't hold their hands...sometimes you gotta face the real world....learn to conquer these obsticals BEFORE you have to deal with them .

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 15:28
Gunna take your ball home so we can't play?

A better warning is if you riding on country roads you need to be very,very careful of natural hazzards.Don't hold their hands...sometimes you gotta face the real world....learn to conquer these obsticals BEFORE you have to deal with them .

I guess me taking my Ball home or not will not prevent your game I suspect.

My warning was specific to location.

I dont need to learn to conquer these obstacles I have, I have been riding bikes for 25 years last crash on the road was at least 20 years ago.
I however understand that new riders are not blessed with my or perhaps your experience, so where possible I point out to them either verbally or if not possible, online ,situations or conditions which can become a problem for a new rider.
I happen to have a number of good freinds who ride this road often and I fell OBLIGATED as a motorcyclist and friend to advance warn where possible.
Yourself Motu would not do this for your fellow biker as by your above statements it would not be necersary, fine that is your call I am sure any consequences relating to your justified silence is something you can live with, for me I cannot, and further being presented with such a fine forum and advance warning tool such as KB I dont need to. My 5 mins of typing may just have saved a biker from having a crash, maybe even you.

Why you have decided to bag me for it Im unsure.

XTC
11th July 2005, 15:37
Just came back that way from Raglan today. Gravels not too bad but there is a lot of shit and mud on the road at the moment. Another good road off 22 is heatherington road - this runs between 22 just past the one lane bridge and huntly.

Motu
11th July 2005, 15:39
I guess me taking my Ball home or not will not prevent your game I suspect.

Why you have decided to bag me for it Im unsure.

Not bagging,it's a discusion,if you can't handle a bit of lively debate....up to you,but I'm keen for more ''discusion''

Riff Raff
11th July 2005, 15:41
My 5 mins of typing may just have saved a biker from having a crash, maybe even you.
Well I appreciate it Quasi. I've been thinking of going for a wee blat in the next few days if I get the chance. Your advance warning could save me from another altercation with gravel!

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 16:21
Not bagging,it's a discusion,if you can't handle a bit of lively debate....up to you,but I'm keen for more ''discusion''

Youre a critical little fucker arent you ? "if I cant handle a bit of lively debate"
Sheeesh, never thought you were one to bag a biker thought better of you to be honest, Obviously I was very wrong.
I think you might just have to higher opinion of yourself and riding ability judging by your writings to date.

Motu
11th July 2005, 17:02
A high opinion of myself and riding abilities??? Certainly not - and I think this is the point you are missing....the very fact I am wary on back roads means I am a bit nervous about coming upon the unexpected....that's the way I ride...not over confident and sure of my abilities - a recipie for disaster in my mind.Anyone's welcome to clean me up anytime - I'm no racer and you won't see me on a track.Bag another rider? - sure....

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 17:12
A high opinion of myself and riding abilities??? Certainly not - and I think this is the point you are missing....the very fact I am wary on back roads means I am a bit nervous about coming upon the unexpected....that's the way I ride...not over confident and sure of my abilities - a recipie for disaster in my mind.Anyone's welcome to clean me up anytime - I'm no racer and you won't see me on a track.Bag another rider? - sure....

Good, well you can be thankful for my heartfelt warning about highway 22 then if you ride it in the near future , and the fact that you are "nervous" when you come upon the unexpected as well as not to "confident" or sure of your "abilities" makes me realise that you would infact be thankful for my warning as now you will be fore warned about the impending hazard on this Highway. My warning was in effect for riders like you.
What was your point ?:whistle:

XTC
11th July 2005, 17:15
How long are you two gonna keep this BS up??

justsomeguy
11th July 2005, 17:21

Leave them alone, both are probably stuck at their homes and don't know what else to do.

FROSTY
11th July 2005, 17:23
did 22 a few hours nago--wet n slippewry with gravel at the hgammyhole end

Torque
11th July 2005, 17:41
Seen plenty of gravel on it. Never had a problem though. Road like that, you need to expect there'll be gravel. And cow shit. And assorted odds and ends. It's a local back road. Intended to service the needs of the locals. If we borrow it (cos it's fun) we can hardly expect them to turn it into a race track for our benefit.
The road in question has been repaired to a very bad standard and is a risk to any kind of transport. The post was a warning for all and your ignorant comment doesn't help! A lot of visitors use this road and a lack of basic warning signs is dangerous!
Does Ixion work for a road repair cowboy company in the waikato or is he just talking shit? :mad: :weird:

enigma51
11th July 2005, 17:44
Dont stop them im with quasie :Punk:

Motu :motu:

Motu
11th July 2005, 18:03
Good, well you can be thankful for my heartfelt warning about highway 22 then if you ride it in the near future , and the fact that you are "nervous" when you come upon the unexpected as well as not to "confident" or sure of your "abilities" makes me realise that you would infact be thankful for my warning as now you will be fore warned about the impending hazard on this Highway. My warning was in effect for riders like you.
What was your point ?:whistle:

I don't think you've read a thing I've said,you're stuck in your moral rut,you are gunna crash soon if you don't get out of it.I'm going home to no computer now - so if you think I'm cowered and not replying,it's just cause I'm not here....but....''I'll be back!'' :rofl:

Ixion
11th July 2005, 18:12
The road in question has been repaired to a very bad standard and is a risk to any kind of transport. The post was a warning for all and your ignorant comment doesn't help! A lot of visitors use this road and a lack of basic warning signs is dangerous!
Does Ixion work for a road repair cowboy company in the waikato or is he just talking shit? :mad: :weird:

Works OK for me. Can't say that I'd call it a "risk to any kinfd of transport". Trucks ? 4x4s? Even the humble cage is unlikely to be bothered by it. But maybe I don't expect such high standards on roads as sports bikers. I go over that road fairly regularly,so I don't see that the comment is "ignorant".

If it's as bad as people think then contact the local council and the Minister. On pretty well every occasion when I've encountered a GENUINELY dangerous condition road, that's what I've done, and they've always taken notice and done something about it. Odds are though they'll just tell you to slow down. Are you exceeding the posted recommended speeds through the bends ? Of course you are, so do I . But if you are , then you can't complain.

Shade
11th July 2005, 18:58
I think the point is, people do 22 often and know where the 'hotspots' are... Quasi's warning is to tell people there is new UNSIGN POSTED hotspots.

Im greatfull thanks Quasi.

Wtf to everyone else? He's doing the right thing by warning people, and you bag him? :weird:

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 20:40
Simple warning, Im dumfounded as to why people have an issue with it, man get a life sheeeeeesh

Ixion and Motu hopefully will ride the road in the next few days and come up to said corners and go OH FUCK, I see what ole Quasi was on about !!! plonkers

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 21:01
Motu Ixion, I love giving good rep and rarely give bad but here is a dose of bad for you both for bagging a biker for only giving a genuine warning to those that care for each other.

Stick you fucking piss arse comments where the sun dont shine and perhaps form a club which is against everything KB stands for, perhaps there you will be happy :mad:

Bad rep me I dont care . Im close to done !!

Ixion
11th July 2005, 22:04
Motu Ixion, I love giving good rep and rarely give bad but here is a dose of bad for you both for bagging a biker for only giving a genuine warning to those that care for each other.

Stick you fucking piss arse comments where the sun dont shine and perhaps form a club which is against everything KB stands for, perhaps there you will be happy :mad:

Bad rep me I dont care . Im close to done !!

[shrug] Me life is ruined. No, I won't bad rep back. I never have, never will. Don't deal in such petty playground stuff. I do suggest that you consider whether your attitude is one that you really want to maintain.

Like I said before, your warning was appreciated. But I always have ridden on the basis that a back road may have gravel (and other such) on it, warning or no warning. And always will. I appreciate warnings of hazards (and give warnings when I can) ,but I don't expect somebody to run round signposting them for me. It's called riding safely. If that is against everything that KB stands for then maybe KB needs rethinking.

EDIT. Examples often clarify. If I am riding along , and a rider coming the other way flashes me a headlamp warning and points back toward an oncoming corner, I will most certainly appreciate his warning that there is a hazard on that corner. "Thanks mate !".

But if the rider coming the other way does NOT thus warn me , and I blast intot he corner and crash, should I promptly blame the other rider "It's his fault, he didn't warn me! " ?

Likewise, if I crash on gravel in that corner, who am I to reproach? Some unknown person, who could have put up a sign, but didn't ? Or the other rider who didn't warn me. Or myself, for blowing it? In my mind, there's only person to blame and that's me. I wish that the unknown person HAD put up the sign. I would have appreciated it if he had. Or if that other rider HAD warned me. But it's not their job to keep me safe. There's only one person whose job it is to keep me safe, and that's me. And I take full, total, and unshared responsibility for my own safety,as far as road condition and such goes. If I blow it, it's my own fault. I don't expect anyone else to accept responsibility for it.

I don't think this dichotomy of opinion on this site will ever be resolved.

Quasievil
11th July 2005, 22:30
Its simple, I gave a valid warning as to a road condition issue and you two Potheads have shite to say, get a life

justsomeguy
11th July 2005, 22:41
Guys, GUYs GUYS -

Please watch the video I posted in the Survival Skills section.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14198

It will make you fellas chuckle and (hopefully) relax.......

Ixion
11th July 2005, 22:43
Guys, GUYs GUYS -

Please watch the video I posted in the Survival Skills section.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14198

It will make you fellas chuckle and (hopefully) relax.......

Yeah, I watched that this arvo

Motu
12th July 2005, 07:55
I'm Baaaack! :killingme

stify
12th July 2005, 09:08
cheers quasi for heads up,nice to know b 4 ya get there.

In the hunt for some dry roads on sun arvo headed down 22
turned off at the cell phone tower(at top of the hill 35km corner) and
headed down the wherethefuckdoesthisroadgoto
and was greeted by the locals next line of defence against us .......
wild camo brown goats :yes: were three seperate herds running around,
about 1k from top the rest spread down the next couple a kms and were
a bit hard to see as they camo brown.....so ya may need keep that in mind

but man what a cool road that one is.....