PDA

View Full Version : My little ride report

placidfemme
11th July 2005, 10:18
Well the ride yesterday to Kaiaua was awesome!

This being the first group ride and the first long ride that Sam and I have been on was way better than expected.

Firstly thanks to BugJuice for organising the ride, and for taking Sam as his pillion. As far as I know he was the only rider 2 up. So :niceone: :2thumbsup to you!!

I stalled leaving the gas station at Botany... felt like a bit of a dick but that was soon forgotten as we hit the road. I wasn't too sure what to expect as far as group riding goes... did a little research on the "how to's" of group riding but was still VERY impressed with how smoothly everything went. It was really good to see riders pulling over at intersections and round abouts to point out the right direction to go and to the bikers signalling to slow down and pointing up at the speed camera.

Gave myself a few hairy moments in the twisties... going in too fast (too fast for me that is) and holding up the bikers behind me (the chick on the busa was behind me through one section of twisties but wasted no time in leaving me in the dust when we hit the next straight... got to say I don't mind being over taken by a busa :love: ). Went wide a few times and had to slow right down to stay in my lane... and had to brake a few times while in full turn... not the best felling when your back tire starts to skid out on you on a cliff edge tight turn :no: but no-one came off so it was great!

I tried keeping up with any bike that happened to be ahead of me, following thier lines and the such... but still got left behind on the straights... Only went up to 140kph and held it there enjoying the view and pretty much laying on my tank trying not to be distracted by the bugs hitting my visor lol

I found everyone that I talked to (out of the 38 bikes there) was very friendly and generally fun to be around :)

I also noticed that our group (The KBers) were the best group I saw... When we stopped at Kaiaua there were heaps of other bikers and they were all the same (guys on big bikes that all looked the same and dressed the same). Our group was awesome... big bikes... small bikes... sports bikes... cruisers... trail/road bikes... guys... chicks... leathers... kevlar/cordura... no leathers... old... young... mohawks and so forth... such a diverse group of people sharing thier passion of biking no matter the other bikers sex/age/bike. And that to me was one of the best parts of the ride.

There was a slight lack of communication towards the end of the ride and a few of us ended up on our own parked on the side of the road waiting for the rest, until (FEINT I believe) stopped and told us that the rest had turned off further back... so we just headed to the motorway and rode home...

All the pictures I've seen of the ride are great shots. I'm a little disapointed that I wasn't fast enough to keep up with the bunch of riders that had pic's taken of them... would have loved a shot of me on my bike... but was still 100% satisfied with the ride.

Thanks to Crashe for leading the way home on the motorway, and to everyone else that showed up :)

Sam and I ended up crashing out on the couch at about 7pm and woke up during CSI and went to bed... Both a little stiff today but otherwise good :)

Ride Safe and can't wait for the next ride.

Placid & Sam

zadok
11th July 2005, 10:22
Sounds like you had a blast. 38 bikes! That would have been a great feeling. :Punk: :ride:

rfc85
11th July 2005, 10:25
good to hear-i haven't been on one yet but look forward to the day !!!! :ride:

Riff Raff
11th July 2005, 10:29
Glad you enjoyed your first KB ride. As you say, the great thing is that these rides cater for all skill levels and types of people. No snobbiness in our crowd! Look forward to meeting you guys on a ride soon.

SPman
11th July 2005, 10:56
I find it great to see so many new and younger riders getting together and enjoying themselves. And no bins on a ride with sometimes tricky conditions - great.
Makes me glad to be a participant in this disparate bunch of bikers, that is KB :ride:

placidfemme
11th July 2005, 11:17
The ride was seriously great. I couldn't keep up with the bunch infront, tried my best, got to 140kph and thought... ahh whats the use... and just enjoyed myself and my cruising speed :)

Apologies to anyone who I was holding up in the twisties...

If anyone was following me and saw me do anything weird let me know... any tips to improve my riding are always welcome :)

crashe
11th July 2005, 11:56
The ride was seriously great. I couldn't keep up with the bunch infront, tried my best, got to 140kph and thought... ahh whats the use... and just enjoyed myself and my cruising speed :)

Apologies to anyone who I was holding up in the twisties...

If anyone was following me and saw me do anything weird let me know... any tips to improve my riding are always welcome :)

Do what I do at the twisties.... when you spot a rider coming up fast...
Signal to them to pass.... before you get to the corner...
I hate holding up the faster riders on the twisties..

Never try to keep up with the others... just ride at your own pace...
they will wait for you... just enjoy the ride...

I am quite often riding along on my own... after everyone has passed me by...

placidfemme
11th July 2005, 12:18
Do what I do at the twisties.... when you spot a rider coming up fast...
Signal to them to pass.... before you get to the corner...
I hate holding up the faster riders on the twisties..

Never try to keep up with the others... just ride at your own pace...
they will wait for you... just enjoy the ride...

I am quite often riding along on my own... after everyone has passed me by...

lol the problem with the twisties, is that the other bikers come up so fast behind you that you don't see them until they're right up behind you... :ride:

But yeah thanks for the advice... I was rather happy just cruising at 140kph watching the others hoon off into the distance... I knew I couldn't catch them (more from lack of experience than a power thing)...

:)

T.I.E
11th July 2005, 12:36
nice work, when eventually get on one of these rides. which i am hanging out for. ( i'm a bloody shift worker so i work stupid hours )
when i get to come i hope to taking pictures like the amazing action ones i saw the other day.

nice shots and glad to hear you had an awesome time.

lucky bugger

SixPackBack
11th July 2005, 13:48
Don't be to hard on yourself placid you were doing well through the twistys i thought, good lines. You were one of the quickest 250's

Keystone19
11th July 2005, 13:50
Don't be to hard on yourself placid you were doing well through the twistys i thought, good lines. You were one of the quickest 250's

Yeah, SPB was definitely having trouble keeping up in the twisty's - he only goes fast when it's straight.

:rofl: :rofl:

SixPackBack
11th July 2005, 14:05
Yeah, SPB was definitely having trouble keeping up in the twisty's - he only goes fast when it's straight.

:rofl: :rofl:

yeah i know i'm a shit rider but thats going to change [queitly sobs.....shown up by girls he was] i'll send barby out next time she'll wip your ass, hell she wips mine!

Keystone19
11th July 2005, 14:18
yeah i know i'm a shit rider but thats going to change [queitly sobs.....shown up by girls he was] i'll send barby out next time she'll wip your ass, hell she wips mine!

Oh, don't worry SPB, we still love you :grouphug: , even if you can't keep up... :devil2: But please, keep Barby at home, we don't need to see what you do with her on the bike...

SixPackBack
11th July 2005, 14:29
Oh, don't worry SPB, we still love you :grouphug: , even if you can't keep up... :devil2: But please, keep Barby at home, we don't need to see what you do with her on the bike...

Kill joy......no barby [sob] i could bring lana the lama but she's a bit big for the bike ......and she spits [filthy habit]

placidfemme
11th July 2005, 14:39
LMAO Lana the Lama :)

Thanks for the comment about my lines... I was trying hard to focus on the "look through the corners" and used some of the knowledge I learnt at the "Ride RIGHT Ride SAFE" course, which actually saved me running off the road in some of the twisties... like the "if you release the throttle your line tightens and if you keep the throttle on the line widens". Which explains my sudden loss of speed through the twisties... trying to keep it tight so I kept in my own lane and didn't run wide off the road (still had a few close calls though).

I dunno about being one of the fastest on the 250's. The whole ride I think I only saw one 250, the others were either way ahead or somewhere behind :) Still had the best day ever.

*love bikes way too much*

Two Smoker
11th July 2005, 17:52
Glad you had a great time Placid... As one of the "medium paced" (im not allowed to say slow anymore :( ) One of the best tips i can give the slower riders is, dont pull over to the side, if someone comes up behind you fast, they are the ones that have to pass safely. Best thing for you to do is hold your line and keep riding as you were by yourself. I rather you do that and i can pick the place to pass safely. I dont care if i get stuck behind a slow rider, it generally gives me time to look at how they are riding, and give tips if wanted...

Another thing, its not all about top speed... its about carrying speed through corners... I can keep up with many a rider on a big bike that goes fast on the straights on my RG150 just due to having a higher corner speed ( aye DSS3 hehehe)...

Hope that breaks the ice and you come on more KB rides :niceone:

Sutage
11th July 2005, 18:08
I had the same 'problems'. prob not the right word.. on those twisties
:D
i rode off the road to avoid the gravel and a big ditch, didnt fall off tho:D
:niceone:

SPman
11th July 2005, 18:17
What TS says - if there's someone behind you, just be aware they are there, then push it to the back of your mind and get on with your cornering and stuff - concentrate on what YOU are doing. :ride:

and yep, those corners are shitty in the wet....:niceone:

aff-man
11th July 2005, 19:35
yip you were doing well.... i was following you and some of the other 250's just out of howick and was quite content to sit behind you.... for a while at least..

them little zxr's can give the 600's and bigger a bloody good run for thier money in the twisties........ and after a bit more experience you'll be the one coming up behind them :yes: :yes:

mini_me
11th July 2005, 20:20
yip you were doing well.... i was following you and some of the other 250's just out of howick and was quite content to sit behind you.... for a while at least..

them little zxr's can give the 600's and bigger a bloody good run for thier money in the twisties........ and after a bit more experience you'll be the one coming up behind them :yes: :yes:

haha, i remember my little 250 with much happiness, that last ride i took it on thru to paparoa and i managed to stay on aff's ass almost the whole way

and i was thinking the other day that we should do that ride again and see if we can actually make it to the lakes this time and not end up sitting in maungatapere for a couple of hours waiting for everyone to arrive.

wat you say john/ant?

mini_me

John
11th July 2005, 20:23
haha, i remember my little 250 with much happiness, that last ride i took it on thru to paparoa and i managed to stay on aff's ass almost the whole way

and i was thinking the other day that we should do that ride again and see if we can actually make it to the lakes this time and not end up sitting in maungatapere for a couple of hours waiting for everyone to arrive.

wat you say john/ant?

mini_me
Yea pitty we ll couldnt stay together would have been awesome to take the roads out to the lake ;).

As soon as Ant gets his A into G and gets his bike going sweet, and I get my new suspension all on I'll figure sum'in out, I gotta check out that damn tidy VFR you got yourself (ps there is a 17" rim on tardme).

mini_me
11th July 2005, 20:27
(ps there is a 17" rim on tardme).

eh! say wot?
*runs to check trademe*
m/m

edit: i wouldnt exactly call my vfr real tidy atm (had an argument with gravity, i lost)

John
11th July 2005, 20:30
eh! say wot?
*runs to check trademe*
m/m

edit: i wouldnt exactly call my vfr real tidy atm (had an argument with gravity, i lost)
actually looks like its gone already :( sorry, I was look'n at it about 2 hours ago.

mini_me
11th July 2005, 20:36
actually looks like its gone already :( sorry, I was look'n at it about 2 hours ago.

lol, you know what they say. you snooze you loose.
getting one sent over from japan, it'll be at least a month or so. give me time to completely shag my new gpr-70
m/m

roo
11th July 2005, 21:03
I also noticed that our group (The KBers) were the best group I saw... When we stopped at Kaiaua there were heaps of other bikers and they were all the same (guys on big bikes that all looked the same and dressed the same). Our group was awesome... big bikes... small bikes... sports bikes... cruisers... trail/road bikes... guys... chicks... leathers... kevlar/cordura... no leathers... old... young... mohawks and so forth... such a diverse group of people sharing thier passion of biking no matter the other bikers sex/age/bike. And that to me was one of the best parts of the ride.

Yep, you got it and thats what it's all about: Passion
It doesnt matter a bean what or how you ride, or how you're dressed... hell, the best times I ever had were on my yamaha AG100 with no clutch, no front brake, and no 3rd gear. I was 14 and stumbled into this world of limitless entertainment... of course, over the years, many broken bones, a bit of 'skin versus road' action, and a few bumps on the noggin have taught me what is prudent to wear and *cough* how to act on the road *cough*, but thats a side issue.
The only thing that counts, is that you're a comrade biker, with a goofy grin inside your helmet whilst you carve yet another corner, or shoot over another crest into a breathtaking view... no words can describe why we ride, it's just who we are and the KB gatherings reflect that brilliantly.
We dont ride to be bikers, we just ride - and that happens to make us bikers.

N4CR
11th July 2005, 21:15
The whole ride I think I only saw one 250, the others were either way ahead or somewhere behind :) Still had the best day ever.

*love bikes way too much*

You were with the group of 4 ZXR's for most of the whole first leg right!? Thats Gareth, Myself and Brett. There was a cbr or gsx or two scattered around us as well I thaught!

Good to see everyone was enjoying it - 'Twas definately one of my favourite rides ever.

PS that mohawk (and affmans) was blardy visible LOL

placidfemme
12th July 2005, 07:56
lol thanks for all the comments... I was behind the ZXR with the blue rims through some of the twisties... but then after that I wasn't really paying a hell of a lot of attention to the bikes infront of me... Was trying to teach myself the right Rev's to change gears in to keep upright in the twisties and to get faster take off out the twisties onto the straights... I think I change gears too soon... but I've started to get the hang of it a lot better now after that ride :)

I love my mohawk :) I'm going to wear it on every KB ride from now on... it can be my signature... hehe and that way you guys can tell when its me holding everyone up in the twisties...

*oh theres that bloody yellow mohawk again...*

lol

I'd love to go on more and more rides, and gain more experience... but at the same time I don't want to push myself and try do things I'm not 100% comfortable with (like going even slightly fast through those twisties lol). So I'll be keeping my eye for rides on Sundays that are moderate speeds :)

*is still buzzing after Sundays ride*

John
12th July 2005, 08:00
lol thanks for all the comments... I was behind the ZXR with the blue rims through some of the twisties...
That would have been that loser tristan his bikes lame and he cant even ride a pushbike, ignore anything you may have learnt from this loser - and he emits a funny smell... :yes:

Glad you enjoyed the ride, nothing like the first, and the next one you get faster - then faster - then faster, then you start scaring the 1's :Punk:

placidfemme
12th July 2005, 08:06
That would have been that loser tristan his bikes lame and he cant even ride a pushbike, ignore anything you may have learnt from this loser - and he emits a funny smell... :yes:

Glad you enjoyed the ride, nothing like the first, and the next one you get faster - then faster - then faster, then you start scaring the 1's :Punk:

I think another thing that makes me hold back.. is that I don't know the roads... you're gonna laugh at this....

I've been in NZ for 5 years now... and this ride on Sunday.... was the furtherest South I've EVER been... Up until Sunday the most South I'd been was the airport :no:

I've up North to Cape Reinga (sp) and Spirits Bay and generally a few places up SH1 but yeah...

*hasn't seen much of NZ*

So I tend to hold back because I don't know whats around the next corner or over that hill... so I'd speed up on the straights, then slow down near the corner just to find it's a small bend and I could have held my previous speed through there no problem... then I have to build up speed again just to slow at the next corner that didn't need a reduction in speed :weird:

lol

*will get there one day* :ride:

aff-man
12th July 2005, 08:53
Was trying to teach myself the right Rev's to change gears in to keep upright in the twisties and to get faster take off out the twisties onto the *oh theres that bloody yellow mohawk again...*

as i said don't ride her below 12k revs. It makes the bike really scream but you'll be surprised how much more speed you can get through/out of the corners :Punk: :Punk:

placidfemme
12th July 2005, 09:30
as i said don't ride her below 12k revs. It makes the bike really scream but you'll be surprised how much more speed you can get through/out of the corners :Punk: :Punk:

Sweet I'll try that :)

Do you still have your mohawk on your helmet?

*hasn't taken mine off yet* :ride:

Big Dave
12th July 2005, 09:38
I love my mohawk :) I'm going to wear it on every KB ride from now on... it can be my signature... hehe and that way you guys can tell when its me holding everyone up in the twisties...

No pictures for yhou. 1 year.

scumdog
12th July 2005, 09:43

Is there some kind of secret biker society in NZ?
Saw a bald headed guy at the Middlemarch HOG rally with a yellow mohawk on his helmet, what gives???. :weird:

placidfemme
12th July 2005, 10:00
No pictures for yhou. 1 year.

1 year?

:( yeah no pictures of me on my bike :(

Is there some kind of secret biker society in NZ?
Saw a bald headed guy at the Middlemarch HOG rally with a yellow mohawk on his helmet, what gives???.

I dunno what gives... I went into the bike shop and saw them for sale, and thought "why not?" and brought one... wore it about 3 times and then it just sat in the "bike bits and stuff" box until this ride on Sunday :) I like it, I think it makes you slightly more visible to other road users... I guess it just depends on what floats your boat... For me I have a plain black CMS helmet and for the time being can't afford a nicer helmet so I decorate it with my mohawk... certainly stands out on the black :)

Devil
12th July 2005, 10:15
I would have liked to have come along, but alas, I was not well and the bike needs a new camchain and tensioner. Haven't been out on that bit of road for ages :(

Hopefully theres a dry spell this weekend so I can blow out the cobwebs.

:Punk:

placidfemme
12th July 2005, 15:04
Would have been kewl if you could have made the ride...

I was told that 38 bikes is a lot for a ride... but it sure was fun :)

aff-man
12th July 2005, 17:48
Sweet I'll try that :)

Do you still have your mohawk on your helmet?

*hasn't taken mine off yet* :ride:

yeh well needed to go get new tyres and so i kinda (with much hast) removed the mighty mohawk....... :rofl:

I only wear it on special occasions anyway.... :whistle:

so how is the stoppie practice coming along :devil2: :devil2:

Qkchk
12th July 2005, 18:07
Gave myself a few hairy moments in the twisties... going in too fast (too fast for me that is) and holding up the bikers behind me (the chick on the busa was behind me through one section of twisties but wasted no time in leaving me in the dust when we hit the next straight... got to say I don't mind being over taken by a busa :love: ).

Placid & Sam

I was quite impressed at how well you were goin through the gorge Placid, I did my time on a ZXR250A and they are a brilliant bike to ride (I keep mine for 5 years!) KEEP UP THE GOOD RIDING! :2thumbsup

PS I would ride with you anytime :) I have a pillion seat if you keen on a ride someday.

HDTboy
12th July 2005, 18:43
Was trying to teach myself the right Rev's to change gears in to keep upright in the twisties and to get faster take off out the twisties onto the straights... I think I change gears too soon... but I've started to get the hang of it a lot better now after that ride :)
I suggest you don't look at your taco. Just listen to the bike, if it's screaming, it's happy. I dunno about ZXRs but my bike has a rev-limiter to stop you getting too rev happy

N4CR
12th July 2005, 22:29
I suggest you don't look at your taco. Just listen to the bike, if it's screaming, it's happy. I dunno about ZXRs but my bike has a rev-limiter to stop you getting too rev happy

Well said... Pity when your oil gets low..needing a change etc and the 'Neutral demon' comes out to play while going hard :no:

I usually won't look at the tacho unless I'm on a straight and trying to get a perfect shift up over 18000 etc... well I look at it more than the speedo usually :whistle:

I hardly ever ride the bike above 16k except for brief periods, therefore I can't tell where the shift is as I am not used to the sound. And I have never done such high revs for such long periods of time - must say it was fun glancing at the tacho every now and then... amazing rev's these bikes have :love:

placidfemme
13th July 2005, 07:21
yeh well needed to go get new tyres and so i kinda (with much hast) removed the mighty mohawk.......

I only wear it on special occasions anyway....

so how is the stoppie practice coming along

lol I havn't taken mine off yet... but then I havn't been on my bike since Sunday :( One of the staff members at work mouthed off to one of the guards and now no staff are aloud to park in the car park... only clients... I said "But I park my bike behind the rubbish skip... theres barely enough room to get my bike in there let alone a car... surely I can still park inside... but no :( And with the shitty weather lately I don't want to park it out on the road :( But we should find out today if we can park inside again :)

lol as for the stoppie practice... no not yet :) The idea of it kinda scares me lol

was quite impressed at how well you were goin through the gorge Placid, I did my time on a ZXR250A and they are a brilliant bike to ride (I keep mine for 5 years!) KEEP UP THE GOOD RIDING!

PS I would ride with you anytime I have a pillion seat if you keen on a ride someday.

WOOOOO HOOOOOO I'd take my hat off to you Qkchk any day of the week... It was the kewlest thing watching you ride up to the gas station on the busa... nearly everyone turned around to look at your bike... and then you got off... took off your helmet... and you were a chick!!!! Yay! That so totally rocks... I thought getting a 636 would be too big for me... but your only a little bigger than me, so if you can ride a busa I can ride a 636 :) Thanks for your comments on my riding :) As for the ride on your bike, hehehe a ride on a busa... who would say no?

Yeah I've got a Rev Limiter on my lil ZXR too :)

Qkchk
13th July 2005, 16:00
WOOOOO HOOOOOO I'd take my hat off to you Qkchk any day of the week... It was the kewlest thing watching you ride up to the gas station on the busa... nearly everyone turned around to look at your bike... and then you got off... took off your helmet... and you were a chick!!!! Yay! That so totally rocks... I thought getting a 636 would be too big for me... but your only a little bigger than me, so if you can ride a busa I can ride a 636 :) Thanks for your comments on my riding :) As for the ride on your bike, hehehe a ride on a busa... who would say no?

If you can handle a ZX2 then the 636 would be the perfect next bike :) That's the beauty of the ZX2, they are the biggest sized 250 around and get you used to the big-bike feeling. The one thing I noticed about goin up from a 250 was the power is smoother and a bit more predictable.. How much longer have you got to go?

You would be surprised how many people don't believe me that I ride a 'busa. "That's a big blokes bike" the usual comment. I had a RF900R before so the weight issue don't bother me. Goin from 203kgs up to 215kgs I don't really notice the difference (except when it comes to power) I think you just accomodate the difference. (If that makes any sense at all..) (Point to note; I am quite strong in the upper body - shoulders, arms etc... truck driver ya see..so that can make a difference.)

As for the two-up, give me a PM whenever suits you and I'll see what Im up too. :ride:

placidfemme
13th July 2005, 16:15
If you can handle a ZX2 then the 636 would be the perfect next bike :) That's the beauty of the ZX2, they are the biggest sized 250 around and get you used to the big-bike feeling. The one thing I noticed about goin up from a 250 was the power is smoother and a bit more predictable.. How much longer have you got to go?

You would be surprised how many people don't believe me that I ride a 'busa. "That's a big blokes bike" the usual comment. I had a RF900R before so the weight issue don't bother me. Goin from 203kgs up to 215kgs I don't really notice the difference (except when it comes to power) I think you just accomodate the difference. (If that makes any sense at all..) (Point to note; I am quite strong in the upper body - shoulders, arms etc... truck driver ya see..so that can make a difference.)

As for the two-up, give me a PM whenever suits you and I'll see what Im up too. :ride:

Thats interesting to hear... I've had a lot of people tell me to go from the 250 to a 400 then a 600 and if I make it to a 600 to stick with that as everything else would be too big and too powerful for me...

The weight issue shouldn't be too much of a problem... as long as I don't drop it... and even if I did drop it... chances are someone would see and come rushing over to see if I'm ok and then help me get it back up :) I've been concerned about that for ages... I'm a feather weight in the sense that I'm only 44kg's (lol little me) but there are techniques in picking up any size bike that any size person should be able to do :) including me...

I only got my restricted last month, although I've been riding for over a year (only 8 month legally), so unfortunatly I still have over a year to wait for my full... but thats ok... gives me time to save for my next bike :)

Thanks for the offer for a ride with you on your bike, that would be awesome. I'll remember that and PM you sometime :)

aff-man
13th July 2005, 17:56
Thats interesting to hear... I've had a lot of people tell me to go from the 250 to a 400 then a 600 and if I make it to a 600 to stick with that as everything else would be too big and too powerful for me...

The weight issue shouldn't be too much of a problem... as long as I don't drop it... and even if I did drop it... chances are someone would see and come rushing over to see if I'm ok and then help me get it back up :) I've been concerned about that for ages... I'm a feather weight in the sense that I'm only 44kg's (lol little me) but there are techniques in picking up any size bike that any size person should be able to do :) including me...

I only got my restricted last month, although I've been riding for over a year (only 8 month legally), so unfortunatly I still have over a year to wait for my full... but thats ok... gives me time to save for my next bike :)

Thanks for the offer for a ride with you on your bike, that would be awesome. I'll remember that and PM you sometime :)

yeh do the straight to 600 jump. just be carefull. I did the 250 to 400 to 600 thing and while it made getting on a 600 real easy like i could have easily just gone to the 600 and taken a bit more time to get used to it :Punk:

placidfemme
14th July 2005, 07:30
yeh do the straight to 600 jump. just be carefull. I did the 250 to 400 to 600 thing and while it made getting on a 600 real easy like i could have easily just gone to the 600 and taken a bit more time to get used to it :Punk:

So you did the jump? Did you also find it to be a waste of money? What kinda 400 did you go to?

I was thinking of going to a ZXR400 if I can't get a 636 :devil2:

The way I see it, it's better to get something you REALLY want then to buy something you don't really want just to upgrade later...

If I can't get a 636 then I might look at getting a Fireblade 600 (they come in 600's right?)

lol anyway :)

Good news... if we buy the bike from Wellington I am considering you as a rider if I don't go... I've seen you ride... and trust you won't hoon it too much and do any damage to the bike... (lol otherwise Sam will be getting a nice blue 600 with new tyres :devil2: hehehe)

roo
14th July 2005, 08:02
So you did the jump? Did you also find it to be a waste of money? What kinda 400 did you go to?

Be careful of making the jump too soon... there is no substitute for experience, and experience comes from bad judgement... At least on a smller bike you have a better chance of getting away with something ahhh... 'judged badly'...

Good news... if we buy the bike from Wellington I am considering you as a rider if I don't go... I've seen you ride... and trust you won't hoon it too much and do any damage to the bike... (lol otherwise Sam will be getting a nice blue 600 with new tyres :devil2: hehehe)

*choke*... *splutter*.... excuse me while I cough out the remains of the croissant I just inhaled.... hahaha... good one, placcid :rofl:

(Naw... seriously... aff is a capable rider, and you wouldnt be wrong to trust him)

placidfemme
14th July 2005, 08:19
Be careful of making the jump too soon... there is no substitute for experience, and experience comes from bad judgement... At least on a smller bike you have a better chance of getting away with something ahhh... 'judged badly'...

*choke*... *splutter*.... excuse me while I cough out the remains of the croissant I just inhaled.... hahaha... good one, placcid :rofl:

(Naw... seriously... aff is a capable rider, and you wouldnt be wrong to trust him)

Thanks for your concern about jumping to a bigger bike :) This won't be for another year at the least... I'm hoping by then I'll have the experience and confidence to take on a 600... At the moment I'm more than happy with my ZXR250... It gives me all the thrills I need right now and I'm still learning to handle it :) I'm just talking about later on when I get my full... so thats why I've started saving now... I don't want to get into debt with a new bike and also don't want to be stuck on the 250 because I can't afford the bike I want.. :)

As far as Aff-Man riding the new ZXR goes... Well... we have to wait and see if we get it first :) And it might be 2-3 weeks before that is confirmed :)

aff-man
14th July 2005, 09:36

The way I see it, it's better to get something you REALLY want then to buy something you don't really want just to upgrade later...

If I can't get a 636 then I might look at getting a Fireblade 600 (they come in 600's right?)

lol anyway :)

:rofl: :rofl: what little old me :innocent:

Yeh i went to the zxr400 after the zxr250. And believe me it is quite a jump. The power is quite a bit more and the brakes are incedibly strong compared to the 250. The jump to a 600 is the same again. A zxr400 is a good chioce but it is more set up for a track than the road (well mine was). And although it is the most powerfull of the 400's it is also a big heavy bitch (weighs the same as a new zx10r and is bigger). As for money hell yeh. I lost quite a bit using a 400 as an intermediate bike. Another thing is that with the 400 you still have to chop and change gears a lot , i find my 600 heaps easier to ride than the 400.

(p.s. zxr400 have really nasty front ends tank slapper at 180km/h taught me that so either fit a dampner or don't hit any bumps)

placidfemme
14th July 2005, 09:42
:rofl: :rofl: what little old me :innocent:

Yeh i went to the zxr400 after the zxr250. And believe me it is quite a jump. The power is quite a bit more and the brakes are incedibly strong compared to the 250. The jump to a 600 is the same again. A zxr400 is a good chioce but it is more set up for a track than the road (well mine was). And although it is the most powerfull of the 400's it is also a big heavy bitch (weighs the same as a new zx10r and is bigger). As for money hell yeh. I lost quite a bit using a 400 as an intermediate bike. Another thing is that with the 400 you still have to chop and change gears a lot , i find my 600 heaps easier to ride than the 400.

(p.s. zxr400 have really nasty front ends tank slapper at 180km/h taught me that so either fit a dampner or don't hit any bumps)

I saw nice blue ZXR400 at Red Baron a wee while back and was shocked at the pure size of it... I thought it was massive for a 400, so that explains why... because it weighs more and is bigger... by the sounds of it I'd rather jump to a 600 and learn from that instead of waste money on a 400 just to upgrade again... also dampers are like $800+ right? Might as well buy a 600 and get a damper for that :)

Then I'll give you a run for your money :Punk: So keep yourself alive for another year ok... then I'll slip you $20 and you can let me kick your ass :)

HDTboy
14th July 2005, 17:03
Tri-stank, I nominate you for experimenting with revs till you find the rev-limiter, then PF will know what to expect when she hits it

N4CR
14th July 2005, 17:28
Tri-stank, I nominate you for experimenting with revs till you find the rev-limiter, then PF will know what to expect when she hits it

Hahah! I'll do it tonight when I pick it up from servicing ;D.. full valve balancing and stuff like that :Punk: AFAIK its 19500rpm but those tachos probably underead heaps. If you redline it for too long the needle goes nuts bouncing around 14-16... so dont wear earplugs and wonder why you arent going any faster while distracted :mad:

aff-man
14th July 2005, 18:19

Meh the only true way to test it is to bounce it off the rev limiter in 6th :devil2: :devil2:

Quite fun really..

Oh an PF i actually happen to have a steering damper for a zxr400 lying around somewhere here... oh look there it is :yes:

And what's this business about you having to pay me to let you win. After 3 1/2 or so years you'll be just as quick, so only 2 1/2 years to go :Punk: :Punk:

placidfemme
15th July 2005, 07:31
Meh the only true way to test it is to bounce it off the rev limiter in 6th :devil2: :devil2:

Quite fun really..

Oh an PF i actually happen to have a steering damper for a zxr400 lying around somewhere here... oh look there it is :yes:

And what's this business about you having to pay me to let you win. After 3 1/2 or so years you'll be just as quick, so only 2 1/2 years to go :Punk: :Punk:

lol

*will wait for 2 1/2 years*

A steering damper for a ZXR400... Don't they fit on any type of bike or do they have to be for a specific bike?

*learns something new everyday*

Oh oh and I watched "Faster" last night...

*wants to be a racer...*

roo
15th July 2005, 08:25
lol

mmmmm.... Fasterrrrr.... thats the best goddamn dvd I've watched in ages... it makes me do bad things when I'm riding though...

Oh yeah, has anyone else watched 'The long way round"? That is another must see:

Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boong*something-or-other* riding from London to New York across Europe/Central Asia/Russia/Siberia/Canada... with minimal support... they get into some crazy crazy situations... very good.

placidfemme
15th July 2005, 08:32
mmmmm.... Fasterrrrr.... thats the best goddamn dvd I've watched in ages... it makes me do bad things when I'm riding though...

Oh yeah, has anyone else watched 'The long way round"? That is another must see:

Ewan McGregor & Charlie Boong*something-or-other* riding from London to New York across Europe/Central Asia/Russia/Siberia/Canada... with minimal support... they get into some crazy crazy situations... very good.

No I havn't seen that... but it sounds good :)

Faster was GREAT! Got home yesterday, put it right on and watched it all :)

Mr Skid
15th July 2005, 10:04
Really? I've never heard of Rossi attacking road cones on the M1..

justsomeguy
15th July 2005, 10:26
Really? I've never heard of Rossi attacking road cones on the M1..

Oye - you leave us sport bike riders alone... now that you have crossed over to those bikes that "swing both ways"........road&off-road

placidfemme
15th July 2005, 10:41
Oye - you leave us sport bike riders alone... now that you have crossed over to those bikes that "swing both ways"........road&off-road

*shocked expression on face*

You have a Bi bike?

kinky

Mr Skid
15th July 2005, 11:09
*shocked expression on face*

You have a Bi bike?

kinky

Apparently there is a market for "mint" Bi bikes: Wtd to Bi ZZR 250 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14327)

aff-man
15th July 2005, 11:35
lol

*will wait for 2 1/2 years*

A steering damper for a ZXR400... Don't they fit on any type of bike or do they have to be for a specific bike?

*learns something new everyday*

*wants to be a racer...*

Well no but you need to get a fork clamp which varies with different bikes... i have one.

What is this faster you speak of??

placidfemme
15th July 2005, 11:51
Faster... I only heard of it two days ago :)

It's a movie... well more like a documentary on the big racing stars... Max Biagi (sp) and Rossi and all them... Just how they got into it, thier racing past, comments from other racers, and the such... Just very interesting to watch if your a racing fan (which I don't really watch too much because I never know when it's on... but it has bikes... and I love bikes... lol)