PDA

View Full Version : Kevlar or Sintered Brake Pads?

riffer
11th July 2005, 10:45
Hey all.

The RF900 needs new brake pads.

I can go Kevlar or Sintered - the sintered is about $40 extra.

What are the other RF900 users running?

My main riding is commuting 75kms per day on the Hutt Motorway between Upper Hutt and Wellington, with the occasional weekend blast.

I'm not doing any track days so I reckon the kevlar are probably the way to go, especially as they are not as hard on rotors as the sintered pads.

What do you reckon?

Big Dave
11th July 2005, 10:49
Hey all.
sintered pads.

What do you reckon?

What sort of discs on the RF? - Don't use them on stainless discs - they wear faster than the pads - otherwise I prefer them.

F5 Dave
11th July 2005, 10:52
A friend has run Kevlar in his RF & they do seem easy on the rotors, his theory is that they aren’t a friction material (read: he’s not impressed). But different brands are probably different.

I’m using Galfers that I bought at the same time as my EBC rotors. They are brill. Strangely it feels like one of my rotors has started to warp again. Must look into this.

riffer
11th July 2005, 10:55
What sort of discs on the RF? - Don't use them on stainless discs - they wear faster than the pads - otherwise I prefer them.

Replacements for the originals. They have Premier SS006R on the right front. Full Floaters.

750Y
11th July 2005, 11:08
just my .02
When you need to stop NOW you have the best chance with the best pads.
This is not negotiable in my books. My philosophy is use the most aggressive pad(highest friction co-efficient) out there & worry about the cost later.
Don't end up in the ditch wishing your brakes were better.
Sorry i have no experience with kevlar pads, only the 'green' pads which weren't as grabby as sintered HH's.
I'm talking roadriding situations here, not trying to control fade on the track.
good luck & happy stopping

Lou Girardin
11th July 2005, 16:07
I put a set of Ferodo Platinum organic pads on the Bandit. They seem to work fine on the road, but I'm not hard on the brakes (sorry, bad pun) anyway.

bungbung
12th July 2005, 08:25
I have sintered HH pads on EBC discs. They improve noticebly noticerbler better when they are warmed up, so maybe not the best choice for commuting. I don't have any experience with kevlar pads.

magnum
12th July 2005, 09:15
am running doubleh sintered on my six hundy and they are very good,lasting well too. :ride: