PDA

View Full Version : removing rust in tank

R6_kid
11th July 2005, 11:28
just bought a second tank for the zxr so i can have a backup, only problem is the inside is covered in surface rust. Obviously i dont want that shit through my carbs and engine when i use it so what do i need to do to get it up to a useable standard? any help would be appreciated :yes:

TonyB
11th July 2005, 11:44
you can buy this stuff called tank cream (i think thats the name). It has an acid that strips the rust out, and then a special paint that you tip in the tank and swish around to coat the inside. It's fairly expensive ($70-80ish I think) and fairly time consuming, but the tank will then be forever sealed and rust free.

enigma51
11th July 2005, 11:53
You can also have it send in to "tank fixers" (any bike shop can point you to a good one). It will cost a bit but will save you alot of time!

numie
11th July 2005, 12:02
it may sound silly......but! try coke cola the acid in coke is strong enough to remove minor stuff.
dont you remember your old school science classes.
plus things go better with coke.

John
11th July 2005, 12:08
Answer is here young one, 60$ and you wont need to worry about rust again..

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=14154

Pixie
14th July 2005, 10:57
just bought a second tank for the zxr so i can have a backup, only problem is the inside is covered in surface rust. Obviously i dont want that shit through my carbs and engine when i use it so what do i need to do to get it up to a useable standard? any help would be appreciated :yes:
If you just want to remove the rust get 250ml bottle of POR15 metal ready $12.00 and 250ml of POR15 marine clean $6.00 from car colours In albany.If you want to seal the tank as well get POR15 tank sealer kit $60.00

James Deuce
14th July 2005, 11:53
it may sound silly......but! try coke cola the acid in coke is strong enough to remove minor stuff.
dont you remember your old school science classes.
plus things go better with coke.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Carbonic acid is the active rust dissolver. Good old soda water would be better because it doesn't leave a sticky mess when it dries. It isn;t THAT great though.