PDA

View Full Version : Sticky brakes?

chickenfunkstar
11th July 2005, 11:44
I've recently noticed some resistance from my front brakes when pushing my bike out of the garage in the mornings.

Its sort of a medium level of resistance. I.e. I can still push it out reasonably easily, but I can definatly notice the resistance. I can also hear the noise of the pads rubbing against the disk.

When I come back from a ride, the resistance seems to dissappear.

Is this a problem? Or is it just something to do with the cold weather?
I didn't notice anything like this in the summer.

Thanks

CFS

enigma51
11th July 2005, 11:50
I've recently noticed some resistance from my front brakes when pushing my bike out of the garage in the mornings.

Its sort of a medium level of resistance. I.e. I can still push it out reasonably easily, but I can definatly notice the resistance. I can also hear the noise of the pads rubbing against the disk.

When I come back from a ride, the resistance seems to dissappear.

Is this a problem? Or is it just something to do with the cold weather?
I didn't notice anything like this in the summer.

Thanks

CFS

Floating disks combined with cold etc etc. dont worry about but if they still are sticky after a ride take the brakes in for a service

numie
11th July 2005, 11:52
check your discs,could be dished

chickenfunkstar
11th July 2005, 12:10
check your discs,could be dished

What's 'dished'?

John
11th July 2005, 12:12
What's 'dished'?
warped...

I would just take it in and ask them to check the disks - takes about 1minute and they can do it within .001mm accuracy or something compleletly gay like that...

Do you get feed back on the brakes when you apply them hard? When did you last flush the brakes and check the pads?

But remeber there is always some brake rub! or else you would have no grab.

chickenfunkstar
11th July 2005, 12:24
warped...

I would just take it in and ask them to check the disks - takes about 1minute and they can do it within .001mm accuracy or something compleletly gay like that...

Do you get feed back on the brakes when you apply them hard? When did you last flush the brakes and check the pads?

But remeber there is always some brake rub! or else you would have no grab.

Cheers,

They are very slightly warped, I can only notice when i'm going less then about 10kph with light front brake application.

There's definate resistance along the whole surface of the disk though. I.e. it doesnt rub just in one particular place.

John
11th July 2005, 12:26
well that could possibly be unevenly worn pads? Maybe just pop them out and have a look'sie?

chickenfunkstar
11th July 2005, 12:36
Probably a silly question, but how would one go about doing that?

John
11th July 2005, 12:51
hmm, not to be mean but if you dont know what your doing I would be inclided to send it to the shop, will take them about 10minutes and they will probably do it in front of you, and you can learn howto do it in the proccess, I dont know about the SV's but for me, I haveto remove the caliper, undo the little metal clip that holds the pads (really easy normally push down or pull) then one falls out, the other one can be jimmied out..

I am really bad at explaining stuff sorry :S.