PDA

View Full Version : NZ-designed motorcycles look interesting. Opinions?

willytheekid
13th September 2011, 12:05
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/motoring/5614635/NZ-designed-motorcycles-coming-soon

What do you guys think?

oneofsix
13th September 2011, 12:06
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/motoring/5614635/NZ-designed-motorcycles-coming-soon

What do you guys think?

be interesting to see how it goes. Wonder how soon they will get the 250 out

bogan
13th September 2011, 12:28
Dissapointing that the manufacture is going to be done in China. But hope it goes well regardless. Not too many details about the engine tech, but there is a fair bit being done in those areas by other companies atm, so could be up against some stiff competition.

Scuba_Steve
13th September 2011, 12:36
Dissapointing that the manufacture is going to be done in China.

Yea that could lead to a downfall, I hope he has picked his manufacture wisely watches quality closely, bad Chinese manufacturing could kill him before he starts

Edbear
13th September 2011, 12:52
Well done that man! Hope he is a roaring success! :yes:

avgas
13th September 2011, 13:12
1L 2-stroke twin sounds good.

Daffyd
13th September 2011, 13:14
Good luck to him.

george formby
13th September 2011, 13:25
Finjers crossed.

yod
13th September 2011, 13:57
Meanwhile, work has begun on larger engines, kicked off by a 500cc single that is likely to be Siamese-d into a 1000cc twin. The two-stroke will really enter a new age when those direct-injection engines start rolling down the assembly line, especially as the half-litre single has already shown its potential to be pumping out something near 100bhp.

Nice. I need a commuter.

Laava
13th September 2011, 21:57
What the world wants is efficiency, says Lawson, and whether it's efficiency or performance you want, the fact that a four-stroke wastes two strokes is a big issue.

Ha ha! I laughed on both sides of my face at this!

SS90
14th September 2011, 09:35
As much as I would like this to be a reality, in my opinion this story is just that. A story.

Companies like Huskvarna (particulatly since that where brought out by BMW) KTM, Piaggio and so on invest Serious capital and resources into just this sort of thing (let us not forget Aussie company Orbital) And, other than the "Purejet" Gilera 50 that came out in the early 2000's, nothing has materialized on the way of production machines.

This, as a simple matter of fact is due to the mechanical demands of the air pump required for the "cylinder clearing" phase of the system (OK for volumes required on a commuter 50, but much bigger than that, and it starts to break hearts (and most things turning)

Any idea how many kilometers a piston travels on your average shop compressor on it's life time?

About 12..... on a "new generation" 2 stroke, using cylinder clearing injected air (as they do), I think the wee pistons travel that distance on about 100km of road riding.

1 litre low emmission V twin 2 strokes have been on the design boards of pretty
Much every project manager in the world for the last decades, I have even seen one in the flesh.

Let us not forget that the Chinese owned most Italian bike manufacturers from about 2004 till 2008, all the while owning rights to the patents an data on such things..... This may sounds cynical, but a Chinese made bike, claiming to have an engine designed by a Kiwi, claiming to be ready to produce a Euro 4 compliant 2 stroke?....

It's been done, Orbital made retro fit kits for Indonesian Tuk Tuks half a decade ago.

I realise that some people are going to get all "Burt Munroe" about this, but I have seen VERY similar articles in other countries all over the world o. The last 5 years. Basically bits of fact mixed in to make a good story.
Letter bombs to the usual address!

avgas
14th September 2011, 11:13
You might be on to something.

I remember when the BKing concept came out. Supercharged Busa motor, head-up display in helmet........I fell in love.
Production model was a downgraded busa motor with standard gauges.

This might end up another pipe-dream.

Sable
14th September 2011, 12:57
Roll on the DI 2 strokes. It's been far too long. I saw some article a while back that reckoned air assisted DI 2 strokes made more power and were more efficient than an equivalent 4t, with a similar powerband and reduced adding the stroker oil to once every 2,000km, like a regular service.