PDA

View Full Version : CBR250r mc19, if I was buying what should I look for?

nzspokes
14th September 2011, 07:34
May be looking at a couple of MC19s. Apart from the normal mechanical stuff are there any specific things to look at on one?

blackdog
14th September 2011, 08:11
You should look at hanging fire until the power to weight ratio rules come into play. The arse is about to fall out of the market for these old 250's. Instead start scouting around for a 400 IL4 if you have to have a sprots bike, or more sensibly a single or twin up to 660cc. Think SV650 or ER6/F.

Even something like this, I think Matt still has it and he's pretty much giving it away.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/139653-94-Ducati-400-SS

nzspokes
14th September 2011, 09:35
When does it change? that Ducati has less HP than the CBR.

blackdog
14th September 2011, 09:41
when does it change? That ducati has less hp than the cbr.

wylmtgtfy?

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 09:48
When does it change? that Ducati has less HP than the CBR.

I had an MC19 it done 38.8 at the rear wheel, completely stock, with low km's,
Try find one that isnt Raped with bolt on rubbish I.E exhausts and mufflers.

Fairings are one thing to check, any damage on them will indicate a crash, also that the Choke works, you will be using it.. also make sure it idles at 1,500rpm, if they say its had a full service and tune, it shouldnt be blowing smoke, otherwise it should be blowing grey smoke as they run pretty lean from factory, ask for a full service history, if you can get one with low km, mine had 5,000 when I brought it and I put a little over 10,000 on it.
there is a lock nut on the tripple clamp its chromed, if it has some rust then the bike has been left outside and isnt garaged, not to worry, check the bottom of the muffler, there should be a little 5mm hole, its a drain hole, if its bigger or has rust, then it will need a little fix.

Other thing is check the sprockets if they look really worn down, it would be a good idea to have them and the chain changed.
Cant think of anything else at the moment, Really fun bike to ride, IMO I would wait for the new law to change, I think its.. this month????
And get something like an RVF 400 or a Hyosung GT650R
ill try find you the LAMS pdf.

EDIT: Here you go http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/lams_list_110905.pdf

blackdog
14th September 2011, 09:56
And no, the Ducati has more horsies (factory claimed). More important though is the way the power is delivered. CBR develops 40hp at 14,500rpm whereas the Duc gives you it's full 42 at only 7krpm.

The more telling statistic is torque however. The Honda a measly 23Nm@11000rpm, in comparison the Ducati will feel like it wants to pull out tree stumps with 35Nm@8500rpm.

Unless you weigh 55kg and are on a racetrack, which do you think will be more fun?

Both will probably run a standing 1/4 in about 15 seconds and top speed is going to be around 110mph (again depending on what you weigh).

Ask yourself this too. In 2 years time when you come to sell it, I reckon you'll probably be able to make a bob on that SS. You will have to pay someone to take the baby blade away!

nzspokes
14th September 2011, 09:57
One im looking at has stock fairings and done 38000k.

but very intresting on the list. Hyo 650 could be the go.

nzspokes
14th September 2011, 09:58
And no, the Ducati has more horsies. More important though is the way the power is delivered. CBR develops 40hp at 14,500rpm whereas the Duc gives you it's full 42 at only 7krpm.

The more telling statistic is torque however. The Honda a measly 23Nm@11000rpm, in comparison the Ducati will feel like it wants to pull out tree stumps with 35Nm@8500rpm.

Unless you weigh 55kg and are on a racetrack, which do you think will be more fun?

CBR is 45 but I get your point. And those Ducs go ok? easy to get parts?

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 10:01
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-406154404.htm
Looks tidy but dent in the tank indicates a drop, so the bar has dug into the side of the tank. Will need a service if it hasnt had one already.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-331018278.htm
Completely over priced, also dropped, on the exhaust side, the 250 has a small piece missing on the tail and where the camera has flashed the corner of the muffler you can see its a little flat and scrapped

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-405706044.htm
Speaks for itself, its been dropped, badly.
I wouldnt pay that kind of money for something like that.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-406880643.htm
Km's are getting up there, but it shouldnt matter too much, these things usually go pop at the 100,000 mark,
Im concerned it doesnt show the left side of the bike,
if the left is as good as the right I would hit buy now.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-381866549.htm
Needs some TLC, new lever to begin with, like $20, the clutch cover doesnt matter, you can 2000 grit it and paint it, the tank needs finished off but thats not that big of a deal, Id offer 3,000.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-404969620.htm
Wouldnt touch it with a bar of soap.

There ya go.

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 10:02

45 at the crank.

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 10:03
And no, the Ducati has more horsies. More important though is the way the power is delivered. CBR develops 40hp at 14,500rpm whereas the Duc gives you it's full 42 at only 7krpm.

CBR's deliver their torque late, at about 12,000 you feel it finally pick up, the Ducks and alot of other Vtwins have their torque at a low range or mid range start,

If you want hp to cc rating,
buy a 2stroke, for the same money,
You end up paying for it in rebuilds but its worth every penny.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-405345974.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-404881701.htm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-404682506.htm

blackdog
14th September 2011, 10:10
Hyosung GT650 R

Another good option. There will be GT250R owners crying in their cornflakes all over the country because they are about to become salesproof aswell.

nzspokes
14th September 2011, 10:14
pretty sure it wont effect the value of my bike. Worth not much before, still worth not much.

But the Duc is intresting. 2.5k would be about my budget.

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 10:15
Another good option. There will be GT250R owners crying in their cornflakes all over the country because they are about to become salesproof aswell.

Oops Missed the important R!

:innocent:

Im looking at buying a GT650R as my next bike, seeming as I dont actually have one at the moment.:facepalm:

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 10:19
pretty sure it wont effect the value of my bike. Worth not much before, still worth not much.

But the Duc is intresting. 2.5k would be about my budget.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/browse/categoryattributesearchresults.aspx?sort_order=pri ce_asc&search=1&mcat=0001-0026-1255-&sidebar=1&39=Sports&40=&153=&9=0%2C0&24=0%2C0&51=500%2C2000&sidebarSearch_keypresses=0&sidebarSearch_suggested=0

Should be all the bikes listed under sports for a maximum value of $2000

imdying
14th September 2011, 10:20
Watch out for the two strokes... there's a reason that even though they are high maintenance and fussy, they're still popular. Think of them like P for bikers (well, bikers not taking actual P that is).

blackdog
14th September 2011, 10:22

Like any used bike, the way it has been looked after/maintained is everything. The 400 monster I rode was good for what it was, and they're the same motor.

I wouldn't imagine parts wouldn't be any harder to get than they are for the CBR. If anything probably easier (they share everything but the motor with the 600).

Another benefit is it is a full sized bike, but it is only one option I was using as an example. The point I was making is there are far better choices than the CBR available now that the learner range has been opened up.

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 10:24
Like any used bike, the way it has been looked after/maintained is everything. The 400 monster I rode was good for what it was, and they're the same motor.

I wouldn't imagine parts would be any harder to get than they are for the CBR. If anything probably easier (they share everything but the motor with the 600).

Another benefit is it is a full sized bike, but it is only one option I was using as an example. The point I was making is there are far better choices than the CBR available now that the learner range has been opened up.

+1, and for the money the CBR's go for, you can pick up a cheap 600.
I wouldnt go for a duck unless your pay pack is large though, too much in maintenance especially if your going to use it daily, I think a regular service will sting you in the $1000 mark.

blackdog
14th September 2011, 10:29
I think a regular service will sting you in the $1000 mark.

A fallacy. Routine service will cost less than an IL4, and only gets up a bit when you have to replace the cambelts. I'd google that for you too to be sure, but you can type. Plenty of Duc riders here will be able to tell us if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that being the case.

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 10:32
A fallacy. Routine service will cost less than an IL4, and only gets up a bit when you have to replace the cambelts. I'd google that for you too to be sure, but you can type. Plenty of Duc riders here will be able to tell us if I'm wrong but I seem to remember that being the case.

Ill take your word on it,
Probably depends on the bike.

nzspokes
14th September 2011, 10:44

Got to admit, real intrested in it. Its low ks to. I will be doing servicing myself.

blackdog
14th September 2011, 10:47
Got to admit, real intrested in it. Its low ks to. I will be doing servicing myself.

Flick him a PM. My commission is payable in beer.

nzspokes
14th September 2011, 10:57
I will need to confirm the licenceing change before I go ahead. Also need to sort the money side before mucking people about. but flying down and riding back sounds fun.

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 11:35
I will need to confirm the licenceing change before I go ahead. Also need to sort the money side before mucking people about. but flying down and riding back sounds fun.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/driver-licensing-amendment-2011-qa.html

bogan
14th September 2011, 11:40
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/rules/driver-licensing-amendment-2011-qa.html

LAMS will come into force on 1 October 2012. This will allow time to develop the assessments and make the necessary changes to the IT systems, and ensure that all the changes to the motorcycle licensing and testing regime come into force as a single package.

Bit of a wait for it.

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 11:59
Bit of a wait for it.

Uhhh I seeeeeeeeeeee

Oh well im still getting one,
I can get my full in May.

nzspokes
14th September 2011, 12:22
bugger.

Doesnt say when the speed changes though.

MikeD400
14th September 2011, 12:27
The market for 250's wont change if we are taking in the same restrictions as aus its 150kW per tonne calculation works like this kW of the bike devided by the wieght of the bike plus 90kg for rider and gas times1000 my hornet gets 111 the limit is 150 i went threw and calculated all sprts 400 japas and none of themwere under 150, the gt650r also came in over 150, correct me if im wrong but isnt this list of bikes for people with a cc rating exemption because of being too fat or too tall??

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 12:32
The market for 250's wont change if we are taking in the same restrictions as aus its 150kW per tonne calculation works like this kW of the bike devided by the wieght of the bike plus 90kg for rider and gas times1000 my hornet gets 111 the limit is 150 i went threw and calculated all sprts 400 japas and none of themwere under 150, the gt650r also came in over 150, correct me if im wrong but isnt this list of bikes for people with a cc rating exemption because of being too fat or too tall??

Bikes on the LAMS list are specificly modified to become lams approved, I.E the GT650R has some washers added to restrict air flow, disallows it to red line and reduces the maximum power it can produce,
The modification has to be certified,
But once you get the certificate, I cant see why it wouldnt be hard to remove the restrictors. For Example the RVF 400 is on the LAMS list, its factory restricted by a top speed restriction and I think the ram air also has something added to it to cut off the air supply.

Sable
14th September 2011, 12:33
The other thing is that it's only illegal if you get caught. I got caught on a GB400 speeding with no L plates a couple years ago and I talked my way out of everything but the speeding fine. There's an exemption you can apply for too supposedly.

DrunkenMistake
14th September 2011, 12:34
The other thing is that it's only illegal if you get caught. I got caught on a GB400 speeding with no L plates a couple years ago and I talked my way out of everything but the speeding fine. There's an exemption you can apply for too supposedly.

yah I was on my VFR 400 for what 5 months now I think, and I have been pulled over for speeding, and the cop ignored my license and just issued me a speeding ticket.

sharp2183
15th September 2011, 19:04
Not to disagree with anyone on who has suggested other options, but I have had two MC19s and both have been awesome. I had a couple of big ducatis, an RVF and an NSR250 after the first and now have another (not my only bike though.) The CBR handles the worst of the lot, but will hang on with heaps of other bikes in most situations.

Sure, the 250 market will not be great when the new laws come in, but if they adopt the LAMS concept then the list of great sports bikes available to learners will not get that much longer. A well looked after CBR250 will still be a good little bike (and built way better than some newer varieties *cough Hyosung*) and will suit all but the tallest new riders. New riders are too often swayed by fancy fairings in my opinion. Unless it's an Aprilia.

One thing to look out for that isn't engine related: fucked suspension. Especially the rear. However even this shouldn't be a put off if the rest of the bike is good as I believe Dukic and CKT have second hand springs that should do the trick.

Just my 2 cents.

DrunkenMistake
15th September 2011, 19:44
One thing to look out for that isn't engine related: fucked suspension. Especially the rear. However even this shouldn't be a put off if the rest of the bike is good as I believe Dukic and CKT have second hand springs that should do the trick.

Just my 2 cents.

this is a common problem in most 20 year + hondas, well bikes in general.
They just get saggy, and the MC19 rear shock was never that great anyway.

4AGE
15th September 2011, 20:25
Slightly OT.

How can i test rear shock performance? To see if its rooted or not.
Similar to bounce test with cars?

DrunkenMistake
15th September 2011, 20:51
Jump on the bike, then jump up and down, if you hear is gasping for air, its a good indication it needs revalved,
you can see the shock on the MC19, if it looks rusty then well its rusty. haha

ducatilover
15th September 2011, 21:17
Back to the CBR....
Do the usual bearing checks etc.
The fuel pump can give up on them.
Rape the shit out of it to check for flat spots.
It'll wheelie if you're keen too.

I'd much rather be on a Ducati, even though the 400 is a bit wheezy, it'll be more fun and look/sound like a real bike.

nzspokes
15th September 2011, 21:24
Back to the CBR....
Do the usual bearing checks etc.
The fuel pump can give up on them.
Rape the shit out of it to check for flat spots.
It'll wheelie if you're keen too.

I'd much rather be on a Ducati, even though the 400 is a bit wheezy, it'll be more fun and look/sound like a real bike.

But as the law wont change untill next year 250 it must be. And the Duc is sold.

Not really sure which way to go. I like me CBX, just want more powa!!

ducatilover
15th September 2011, 21:29
But as the law wont change untill next year 250 it must be. And the Duc is sold.

Not really sure which way to go. I like me CBX, just want more powa!!

All the 4cyl 250's are shit until you get above 10,000rpm.
The only four stroke 250 I'd like to own again is a VT250 Spada. At least you can ride them without doing a million RPM and they still have 40hp.

The CBR isn't very comfy either. Very fun bikes though.

DrunkenMistake
15th September 2011, 21:39
All the 4cyl 250's are shit until you get above 10,000rpm.
The only four stroke 250 I'd like to own again is a VT250 Spada. At least you can ride them without doing a million RPM and they still have 40hp.

The CBR isn't very comfy either. Very fun bikes though.

Hard on the wrists and ankles I found.

Just get a 400 VFR or something,
Looks like a 250 from a distance, not that its going to matter,
just dont get pulled over, and if you do sweet talk your way out of it im still on my Restricted and I had my 400 for 5ish months and got pulled over twice and only got one ticket for speeding.

ducatilover
15th September 2011, 21:47
Hard on the wrists and ankles I found.

Just get a 400 VFR or something,
Looks like a 250 from a distance, not that its going to matter,
just dont get pulled over, and if you do sweet talk your way out of it im still on my Restricted and I had my 400 for 5ish months and got pulled over twice and only got one ticket for speeding.

ZZR600 or GTFO :shake:

Grantman_
15th September 2011, 21:55
10,000 - 19,000 is still one hefty powerband. I can ride at 50k and slowly accelerate in 6th gear without any drama on the mc22, but definitely if you want all the horsies foaming you get the revs up 10k +.

The slouchy sportbike position fits me fine and I've done 3hr stints without issues. Depends on your build and how well the bike fits you.

DrunkenMistake
15th September 2011, 21:59
10,000 - 19,000 is still one hefty powerband. I can ride at 50k and slowly accelerate in 6th gear without any drama on the mc22, but definitely if you want all the horsies foaming you get the revs up 10k +.

The slouchy sportbike position fits me fine and I've done 3hr stints without issues. Depends on your build and how well the bike fits you.

do a 1000km trip on the little fucker,
haha

Ender EnZed
15th September 2011, 22:01
CBR250r mc19, if I was buying what should I look for?

Something else. "Upgrading" between 250s is a waste of time. If you want to stay within your licence restrictions it would make a lot of sense to just keep your CBX. If that's not crucial, then unless you're in the habit of getting pulled over frequently you'd be better off getting a bigger bike.

Hyosung GT650R

These are fucking good value for what they are and the naked ones are even cheaper.

DrunkenMistake
15th September 2011, 22:03
These are fucking good value for what they are and the naked ones are even cheaper.

Its probably a bike I havnt herd anything bad about,
im sure it has its short falls,
Im looking at getting one in a week or so,
Just got my insurance pay out after some fluff cunts stole my bike, then wrote it off.:facepalm:

Ender EnZed
15th September 2011, 22:10
Its probably a bike I havnt herd anything bad about,
im sure it has its short falls,

It's a Hyosung. When you ride it you're riding a Hyosung. That'll never go away. And the build quality of the earlier ones isn't going to be quite the same as the Japs, but for a 6 year old bike rather than a 16 year old bike for the same money I could deal with that.

Im looking at getting one in a week or so,
Just got my insurance pay out after some fluff cunts stole my bike, then wrote it off.:facepalm:

Have you got one specifically in mind yet?

DrunkenMistake
15th September 2011, 22:20
It's a Hyosung. When you ride it you're riding a Hyosung. That'll never go away. And the build quality of the earlier ones isn't going to be quite the same as the Japs, but for a 6 year old bike rather than a 16 year old bike for the same money I could deal with that.

Have you got one specifically in mind yet?

I was on a Honda, It cant be as bad as a Hyosung .. Im gonna be gay either way haha,
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=396565338
Im going up to chch on tuesday, thought I might go have a look at this one, I feel its a little over priced, but I might be able to haggle it down to 4,200 - 300

Ender EnZed
15th September 2011, 22:43
I was on a Honda, It cant be as bad as a Hyosung .. Im gonna be gay either way haha,
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=396565338
Im going up to chch on tuesday, thought I might go have a look at this one, I feel its a little over priced, but I might be able to haggle it down to 4,200 - 300

I've looked at it on tardme before, I'm pretty sure it's been up for more than a month. I'd start by offering high 3s and work from there, the new odometer will devalue it a bit and make it forever harder to sell in future. Check what the story with the "lower headlight" is, if it's just the bulb for the park light then that's pretty minor but still worth making a point of while you're offering him money.

DrunkenMistake
15th September 2011, 22:50
I've looked at it on tardme before, I'm pretty sure it's been up for more than a month. I'd start by offering high 3s and work from there, the new odometer will devalue it a bit and make it forever harder to sell in future. Check what the story with the "lower headlight" is, if it's just the bulb for the park light then that's pretty minor but still worth making a point of while you're offering him money.

Yah, I have asked the guy if I could come view on tuesday, when he replies ill mention the lower light, I hadnt noticed it, i cant have read the whole lot haha

my next option was
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=406896316
or
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=406071482

Ender EnZed
15th September 2011, 23:01
Yah, I have asked the guy if I could come view on tuesday, when he replies ill mention the lower light, I hadnt noticed it, i cant have read the whole lot haha

my next option was
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=406896316
or
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=406071482

The red 08 seems like the best of the ones on Trademe at the moment. Being in the other island takes it's toll on the value equation by the time you get it back to Dunedin. On the plus side though, you get to ride back from the other island.

Ender EnZed
15th September 2011, 23:05
but very intresting on the list. Hyo 650 could be the go.

2.5k would be about my budget.

Bringing the thread a little closer back to topic, you might be surprised how close this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-407655823.htm) could come to being within budget for you.

DrunkenMistake
15th September 2011, 23:06
The red 08 seems like the best of the ones on Trademe at the moment. Being in the other island takes it's toll on the value equation by the time you get it back to Dunedin. On the plus side though, you get to ride back from the other island.

I liked the 08, But I only have a max of 5ish to spend,
and as for riding it back from the other island, I dont think I could afford the time off work (no holidays), that and I may need to get it lowered when I get it back.. :innocent:
Anything I should watch for?..

Actually PM me if you think of anything, stops the thread hijack that and im off to bed haha

ducatilover
15th September 2011, 23:12
Bringing the thread a little closer back to topic, you might be surprised how close this (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-407655823.htm) could come to being within budget for you.

That's a very good deal

When I picked up my ZZR600 frame/engine etc etc etc the guy offered me his Hyo GT650 for $2500, was tidy and I think the wife told him no more bikes. It was an absolute steal, unfortunately at the time I only had $1600 to throw around :no:

blackdog
15th September 2011, 23:30
Right. Simple solution. Keep the CBX and keep it registered and up to a warrantable standard. Buy a CBR600F(x) and put CBX250 decals on it. Run it with your CBX plates. Sorted. You're welcome.

ducatilover
15th September 2011, 23:31
Right. Simple solution. Keep the CBX and keep it registered and up to a warrantable standard. Buy a CBR600F(x) and put CBX250 decals on it. Run it with your CBX plates. Sorted. You're welcome.

This man is wise, very wise.

blackdog
15th September 2011, 23:31
That's a very good deal

When I picked up my ZZR600 frame/engine etc etc etc the guy offered me his Hyo GT650 for $2500, was tidy and I think the wife told him no more bikes. It was an absolute steal, unfortunately at the time I only had $1600 to throw around :no:

You could have given him the $1600 and blown him. Then you would have only owed him $895!

ducatilover
15th September 2011, 23:52
You could have given him the $1600 and blown him. Then you would have only owed him $895!

$894, prices go up because of the national regime.

Sarah311
16th September 2011, 22:35
Not to disagree with anyone on who has suggested other options, but I have had two MC19s and both have been awesome. I had a couple of big ducatis, an RVF and an NSR250 after the first and now have another (not my only bike though.) The CBR handles the worst of the lot, but will hang on with heaps of other bikes in most situations.

Sure, the 250 market will not be great when the new laws come in, but if they adopt the LAMS concept then the list of great sports bikes available to learners will not get that much longer. A well looked after CBR250 will still be a good little bike (and built way better than some newer varieties *cough Hyosung*) and will suit all but the tallest new riders. New riders are too often swayed by fancy fairings in my opinion. Unless it's an Aprilia.

Just my 2 cents.

Have to agree, CBR250(RR) is an awesome bike, goes well and has plenty of inital power for a good time - easily keep up with a 600 or similar on the road. If the handling seems a bit shit - maybe the steering needs to be sharpened a little, an easy adjustment to play with which may help. Obviously it's not a "new" bike, but they are streets ahead still in many respects. Buy One!! You'll LOVE it!:yes:

Grantman_
16th September 2011, 23:15
Yes, all the mainstream 250 sportbikes in the late 80's early 90's wipe the floor with what's available today. I would take my 20 year old MC22 over a brand new Hyosung or Ninja 250r any day - in every respect. I can't say how the handling of the MC19 compares, but the 45hp engine is for all intents and purposes the same, therefore it can embarrass the mediocrity that constitutes a 250 sportbike today, no problems at all.

If the mc22 is anything to go by, the mc19 will offer you incredible headroom for developing your riding skills even if it's in leaps and bounds. For that reason the MC22 has been absolute gold for me.

blackdog
16th September 2011, 23:23
My cousin has a GT650R that he wants to move. Stand by, I'll give him a yell to see what's the guts.

Chancebmx25
17th September 2011, 21:40
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-406154404.htm
Looks tidy but dent in the tank indicates a drop, so the bar has dug into the side of the tank. Will need a service if it hasnt had one already.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-331018278.htm
Completely over priced, also dropped, on the exhaust side, the 250 has a small piece missing on the tail and where the camera has flashed the corner of the muffler you can see its a little flat and scrapped

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-405706044.htm
Speaks for itself, its been dropped, badly.
I wouldnt pay that kind of money for something like that.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-406880643.htm
Km's are getting up there, but it shouldnt matter too much, these things usually go pop at the 100,000 mark,
Im concerned it doesnt show the left side of the bike,
if the left is as good as the right I would hit buy now.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-381866549.htm
Needs some TLC, new lever to begin with, like $20, the clutch cover doesnt matter, you can 2000 grit it and paint it, the tank needs finished off but thats not that big of a deal, Id offer 3,000.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/sports/auction-404969620.htm
Wouldnt touch it with a bar of soap.

There ya go.

they all just look like everyday mc19's too me. Get a cheapy and just thrash it.

4AGE
17th September 2011, 21:55
In regards to a mc19 as a first bike. I found it quite good, as when your learning you can potter around under 8k to build skills and then as your skills progress you can explore the rev range a bit more.

sharp2183
17th September 2011, 21:59
[QUOTE=Grantman_;1130155420]Yes, all the mainstream 250 sportbikes in the late 80's early 90's wipe the floor with what's available today. I would take my 20 year old MC22 over a brand new Hyosung or Ninja 250r any day - in every respect. I can't say how the handling of the MC19 compares, but the 45hp engine is for all intents and purposes the same, therefore it can embarrass the mediocrity that constitutes a 250 sportbike today, no problems at all.

QUOTE]

I've found the MC19 to be ever so slightly slower than the early MC22. No idea why but it seems to be the case. But on the road I would be amazed if you could pick a big enough difference between the two that would make you want the newer option for the speed advantage alone. In saying that, I understand that the '93 and onwards MC22s were restricted at 40 instead of 45? Can anyone verify this? On top of all that, if you start cheap (19) over expensive (22) you lose less in the long run, pay less for learner insurance (not by much but still), and care less when you take that fall.

Again, if you get a good one theres no reason to believe the 'it's 20 years old so it must be fucked' claims. Get it tested to be sure though.

Grantman_
17th September 2011, 23:06
I've found the MC19 to be ever so slightly slower than the early MC22. No idea why but it seems to be the case. But on the road I would be amazed if you could pick a big enough difference between the two that would make you want the newer option for the speed advantage alone. In saying that, I understand that the '93 and onwards MC22s were restricted at 40 instead of 45? Can anyone verify this? On top of all that, if you start cheap (19) over expensive (22) you lose less in the long run, pay less for learner insurance (not by much but still), and care less when you take that fall.

Again, if you get a good one theres no reason to believe the 'it's 20 years old so it must be fucked' claims. Get it tested to be sure though.

Yes I have a friend who bought an mc19 not that long ago, and it ran just as sweetly as it should and as sweetly as you could hope for. The whole 'old = thrashed' thing is a crock. Evaluate each bike on a case by case basis. I bet the feeble 250’s are wrung out and ‘thrashed’ out of necessity a lot more than a 250 with decent power.

In 94 the 250's were restricted to 40hp - something to do with Japanese domestic market rules. The mc19 would be a good first bike, but if you have the money the mc22 is the revamped-from-the-ground-up, over-engineered pinnacle of Honda's production 4-stroke 250 history, past present and probably future.

nzspokes
18th September 2011, 11:30
Ive been to look at a 86 one, with bikini fairing, dual discs on the front and drum on the back. Must admit I like the look.

tigertim20
18th September 2011, 12:33
they all just look like everyday mc19's too me. Get a cheapy and just thrash it.
theres a reason why some bikes are much cheaper than an otherwise identical model. beware the cheap bikes, sometimes a good deal is to be had,but beware none the less

firstly yes, the later ones, circa '94+ were restricted in HP.
there are a bunch of subtle changes to the MC22, like higher pegs etc, that make it a slightly better bike than the MC19 on the track, but honestly, on the road theres fuckall difference.
The thing with the '20 years old, itll be fucked' thing, is that a LOT of the IL4 250s have been owned by younger people who raped them, and didnt service them, thus finding one with a service history isnt very easy, but there are plenty out there that are in good nick too, be patiend and wait for a good example at the right price

Ive been to look at a 86 one, with bikini fairing, dual discs on the front and drum on the back. Must admit I like the look.

nothing wrong with them either, a friend of mine still has one.
If I remember correctly, the 86 is an MC14?
anyway If I remember correctly, the engines from 86, through the MC19 era are basically the exact same engine, engine numbers I think read XX14E... etc etc.

If you are concerned about dropping it and breaking plastic, get the '86 if its in good nick, youll get basically the same performance anyway.

nzspokes
18th September 2011, 18:00
nothing wrong with them either, a friend of mine still has one.
If I remember correctly, the 86 is an MC14?
anyway If I remember correctly, the engines from 86, through the MC19 era are basically the exact same engine, engine numbers I think read XX14E... etc etc.

If you are concerned about dropping it and breaking plastic, get the '86 if its in good nick, youll get basically the same performance anyway.

i like that they look a bit different. Waiting to hear back from the seller.

Looked at one today that was fucked.

But in saying that the CBX ran awesome today round a lot of twistys.

DrunkenMistake
18th September 2011, 23:12
They are the same motors,
MC14 XXX is the engine number.

ducatilover
18th September 2011, 23:36
They are the same motors,
MC14 XXX is the engine number.
They are similar, not the same.
My CB400 was a completly diff motor to the CBR400/CB1 and it had the same engine code. Honda was good like that.
Same goes for the MC15E 249cc V-twins.