PDA

View Full Version : Wet weather gear recommendations

VT1100 Sabre
14th September 2011, 11:09
I'm in the market for a wet weather over suit what do others recommend a one or two piece and what brand, I don't want to spend a fortune this is mainly if I get caught out in the rain

Regards

Dave

\m/
14th September 2011, 11:23
I've got a 2 piece Rev-It rainsuit, tried a 1 piece but it was too tight around the neck and bloody frustrating to get in and out of.

Quasievil
14th September 2011, 11:24
I'm in the market for a wet weather over suit what do others recommend a one or two piece and what brand, I don't want to spend a fortune this is mainly if I get caught out in the rain

Regards

Dave

A reckon a One piece, one less join ya see (but not a biggy), get one thats one or two sizes to big so you can easily get into it on the side of the road.
Also make sure its got massive leg openings via zips at the bottom so you DONT have to take your boots off on the side of the road in the wet.
lastly make sure it is adjustable from big to small at the wrists so you can get your gloves inside the sleeves easily, nothing worse than trying to get the second glove in with the already gloved hand when the opening is to bloody tight in the first place.

other than that, get a named brand thats got some credibility behind it, as it will have good seam seals, you dont want it bursting day one.

Quasievil
14th September 2011, 11:25
oh with a one piece get a Angled fron opening, easier to get in and out of the a vertical opening.

this would be my pick, revit is good stuff!!!

http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/rv1pctitan.aspx

mulletman
14th September 2011, 13:26
oh with a one piece get a Angled fron opening, easier to get in and out of the a vertical opening.

I have one of these and its very good, fits easily under my seat.:yes:

maggot
14th September 2011, 14:30
Whatever you get, check the sealings along the seam. Last pair of waterproof trou I bought ripped at the crotch seam, and are now rendered useless. This from what I believed to be a decent brand at the time. Were cheap though, so my fault as much as anything.

slofox
14th September 2011, 16:03
...this is mainly if I get caught out in the rain

Regards

Dave

Yeah - that's what I use my rain gear for too...

Rainbird is what I use (Para rubber). Separates but seem to work fine. Very compact - live in my seat bag. First set lasted close on 20 years.

Reckless
14th September 2011, 16:17
A reckon a One piece, one less join ya see (but not a biggy), get one thats one or two sizes to big so you can easily get into it on the side of the road.
Also make sure its got massive leg openings via zips at the bottom so you DONT have to take your boots off on the side of the road in the wet.
lastly make sure it is adjustable from big to small at the wrists so you can get your gloves inside the sleeves easily, nothing worse than trying to get the second glove in with the already gloved hand when the opening is to bloody tight in the first place.

other than that, get a named brand thats got some credibility behind it, as it will have good seam seals, you dont want it bursting day one.

Everything Quasi said!

Look in the karting section of trade me or similar??
this one is new
http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/safety/auction-406730101.htm

But I got a near new second hand one for $40 bucks lasted a good while now!

nerrrd
14th September 2011, 18:03
I've got a one-piece Dririder rainsuit, cost about $100 when I bought it a few years ago and it's been nothing but trouble from day one.

First suit leaked and had to be replaced (visible flaw in one of the taped seams).

Second suit is watertight but impossible to get into at wrist and boot level as mentioned above - I've had to remove the elastic from both to make it usable. Plus both zips on the legs have fallen apart despite hardly any use, so overall, not one I would recommend.

A good tip from a wise kiwibiker I read on here was to put a shopping bag over your boot to make getting into the legs easy - works like a charm.

mrchips
14th September 2011, 18:56

I got me one of those. Real easy to slip in & out of even over bulky combat boots + it will not leak, no matter what mother nature decides to throw at you.

Gets a bit hot in summer tho.

shonofear
20th December 2011, 16:09
was in motomail today, tried the ReV'it 1 piece but seriously felt/looked to weird
so opted for the REV'IT 'WIND H2O RAIN' Jacket http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/rvjkwindh20.aspx
got the large in silver and looks sweet with a pair of the black REV'IT 'Curve' Rain Over Trousers.
together they are a bit bulky if not in use, but got a Kriega tail bag on the way so can leave em in there all the time.
+1 on the tip for using a garbage gettin into the pants, also heard about talcum powder in the jacket top to make it easier to get into,

caspernz
20th December 2011, 17:52
Just to go off on a tangent....got a one piece Revit rainsuit. But since I ride most big trips in my triple layer Revit fabric suit which includes the waterproof layer, I have to admit to having only worn the rainsuit a few times. It's only been on days when I've worn leather and been caught out in the rain. Yep the Revit suit looks a bit odd....still better than getting drenched? Have had two-piece wet weather suits in the past, but the joining zip or velcro never seems to hold the water out for long, for me anyway. Best option might be stay home on wet days?