PDA

View Full Version : Places to stay for the night

T.I.E
11th July 2005, 18:22
i plan on hitting the south island early next year.
yeah i got to think about it now saving for the trip.
does anyone have any great places to stop at for a night in either the south or north islands?

did they have or do anything special:
carport or garage the bike?
spa poll/hot pool for those cold nights?
was the breakfast any good?
and was it a last minute call?
overall comfort of it too?

and give them an overall rating 5***** or less weighing up value for money.

any input would be great.
and put in the ones not to visit too.

and you lot keep to the post please.

Paul in NZ
11th July 2005, 19:17
Argh!

Don't map a trip down south around places to stay but rather figure out how much time you have and how far you can wobble each day and scout out the cheapest dosser you can find.

Honestly, I'd set the itinary first based on how long you have!

Cheers

scumdog
12th July 2005, 00:19
Chez Scumdog is pretty good - the price is right (free) the gargre has space and the toilet still flushes!

PM me if you want to stay and I'l give you details/location etc.

Warr
12th July 2005, 11:16
yeah i got to think about it now saving for the trip.......
What dates are you planning on going over??
Planning on getting to Dunedin for Christmas which should be interesting as the 25th is Sunday..
So that sounds like Perhaps Friday off work and 2 days no-stop riding!!
From there on I'm counting on the pace being a littel more leasurely.

T.I.E
12th July 2005, 11:27
i was planning on heading down at end of march beginning of april.
want to mainly head down to take some great shots lanscape. etc. whilst it is still there.
and i think once april hits its off season so if i need to stay anywhere the accomidation prices should be cheaper.
in the northland we don't have 4 seasons. but i'm hoping that the south island won't dissapoint me. i'm looking for a south island autum.
so my fingers are crossed on some decent weather. and it would be great to hook up with some kbr's
and my length of stay down there will be dependant on money.
3 weeks would be ideal. even 4.
but minimum is 12 days.

T.I.E
12th July 2005, 11:29
What dates are you planning on going over??
Planning on getting to Dunedin for Christmas which should be interesting as the 25th is Sunday..
So that sounds like Perhaps Friday off work and 2 days no-stop riding!!
From there on I'm counting on the pace being a littel more leasurely.

a leasurely pace would be excellent.
not into racing just want to soak up my own back yard.

scumdog
12th July 2005, 11:48
March Hare rally is in early March and HOG Off the rails rally at Middlemarch is in early April, both good to go to and the Off the Rails is in beautiful scenery and has great roads for riding !! (March Hare is massive, probably biggest in South Island, the danger with it is that it is too close to dodgy buggers like Dangerous, Manu boy, Biff etc!!).

Paul in NZ
12th July 2005, 12:40
I was thinking about this last night.

What we usually do is get out a map and stick some dots on the places we want to visit. Then we figure out a route inbetween. Last thing we worry about is the accomodation.

Places that I like. Formerly The Blackball Hilton (although a lot of folks find it a bit too quirky), St Bathans (oh hell, anywhere in the Maniatoto), Wanaka, Port Hills above ChCh, Hamner (bloody expensive now)

This trip we are going to get a Top 10 holiday parks card and stay there. You get a 10% discount up to $20 a night.

Cheers

Big Dave
12th July 2005, 18:39
yeah i got to think about it now saving for the trip.
does anyone have any great places to stop at for a night in either the south or north islands?

did they have or do anything special:
carport or garage the bike?
spa poll/hot pool for those cold nights?
was the breakfast any good?
and was it a last minute call?
overall comfort of it too?

and give them an overall rating 5***** or less weighing up value for money.

any input would be great.
and put in the ones not to visit too.

and you lot keep to the post please.

Co-pilot and i never set an itinerary for SI touring - the weather can be completely different on either side of the Alps so we always make it up as we go - to follow the best conditions - and we have never had trouble with a room - except for Nelson on new years eve.

The nicest place I have ever stayed - anywhere in the world - is the Park Royal Gardens in Queenstown. expensive, but simply outstanding - as much for the location as the hotel.

Other end of the scale - The 'Skara Brae' guest house in Collingwood is also outstanding, clean, comfy and very biker friendly - the host is a rider.

geoffm
12th July 2005, 21:32
Depends on how well heeled you are. Get a BBH (Backpackers hostel) card and listing book before you go. You can get single or twin rooms in most of them, and a lot cheaper than a motel. Way I look at it is that it is only somewhere to sleep.
i like staying in pubs (not to fat to crawl to bed...). New Commercial Hotel in Kaikoura is good, and there was one in Nelson that was pretty good. The Otira pub (Arthur's Pass region) has some interesting characters..

Alans Place hostel in Nelson is owned by a VFR750 owner.
Geoff

Warr
12th July 2005, 21:43
I was thinking about this last night.
This trip we are going to get a Top 10 holiday parks card and stay there. You get a 10% discount up to $20 a night.

Cheers
Top 10 holiday Park. Tenting ??
Sounds a great idea... But I havent figured out how to fit a tent and a pillion on my bike.

Kickaha
12th July 2005, 22:28
Sounds a great idea... But I havent figured out how to fit a tent and a pillion on my bike.

Top Ten have a wide range of accomodation types from tent sites to self contained units, I normally stay at them while travelling.

T.I.E
13th July 2005, 07:31

yep i'm having a bit of a problem. convincing the partner that she does not need to take clothing of every occasion, which is an idea she is slowly getting used too. but the camera gear and tripod and tent. oh hell i'm thinking of putting a trailer on the back of the bike.
tha panniers are already full. tee hee.
so i may have to stay in back packers or better. no tent what a shame.

:whistle: am i getting soft in my old age?

thehollowmen
13th July 2005, 07:52
Dreamland backpackers in chch is very good. They park stuff around by the units at the back, not visable from the street. The units are cheep (22p/p or something) but pretty much brand new. They also have lil onsuetes in some of them with a shower and basin, which is nice.

They're who I use if I'm going up with passengers

Paul in NZ
13th July 2005, 08:47
yep i'm having a bit of a problem. convincing the partner that she does not need to take clothing of every occasion, which is an idea she is slowly getting used too. but the camera gear and tripod and tent. oh hell i'm thinking of putting a trailer on the back of the bike.
tha panniers are already full. tee hee.
so i may have to stay in back packers or better. no tent what a shame.

:whistle: am i getting soft in my old age?

Tenting can be done but it's not really required. It's the sleeping bags , mats that are the killers

Back packers, tourist cabins etc are all good and you can often rent linen as well. Top 10 gives you the option (usually) to upgrade to motel quality if you need to (raining, tired etc)

Vicki and I get a pannier each (small). Tools / spares and shoes and other awkward items go in the roll bag on the back, handy dany items like cameras etc into the ginormous tank bag. tripod could lash on top of the rear luggage no sweat.

We look like a mobile Op Shop on the road but at least we own it...

Cheers

T.I.E
13th July 2005, 08:54
Tenting can be done but it's not really required. It's the sleeping bags , mats that are the killers

Back packers, tourist cabins etc are all good and you can often rent linen as well. Top 10 gives you the option (usually) to upgrade to motel quality if you need to (raining, tired etc)

Vicki and I get a pannier each (small). Tools / spares and shoes and other awkward items go in the roll bag on the back, handy dany items like cameras etc into the ginormous tank bag. tripod could lash on top of the rear luggage no sweat.

We look like a mobile Op Shop on the road but at least we own it...

Cheers

Handy Dandy Items? is that like Handy Dandy Note book or a thinking chair?
kidding but i know what you mean. i think i will be fitting a new rear suspension to the bike aswell to accomidate the weight.
and the top 10 thingee is sounding better and better.
i think i will be losing the tent and sleeping bags and ground matt as it is just too much. although where i will be putting my brand new george forman grill :no: will be interesting.

oldrider
13th July 2005, 14:47
Hi, "takiniteasy" re South Island visit. Little known stopover place.
(www.otematatacountryinn.co.nz) Clear garage for storing bikes. $25:00/pp Linen private warm etc. Central location for great day trips/loops on roads sealed/ unsealed. (Dansey, Haka, Blackforrest, Omarama Passes) Look it up on the map. The original motorcycle heaven. Latest KiwiRider mag has article on supposed "virgin riding trails" (Ive been riding them for the last 40 yrs) Great country. Just a suggestion. Cheers John. :ride:

T.I.E
13th July 2005, 14:51
Hi, "takiniteasy" re South Island visit. Little known stopover place.
(www.otematatacountryinn.co.nz) Clear garage for storing bikes. $25:00/pp Linen private warm etc. Central location for great day trips/loops on roads sealed/ unsealed. (Dansey, Haka, Blackforrest, Omarama Passes) Look it up on the map. The original motorcycle heaven. Latest KiwiRider mag has article on supposed "virgin riding trails" (Ive been riding them for the last 40 yrs) Great country. Just a suggestion. Cheers John. :ride:

oh yeah now your talking. oh think i'm gonna head down now.

Big Dave
13th July 2005, 15:51
Handy Dandy Items? i

Back in the 80's before 'integrated luggage' and top boxes etc - co-pilot and I spent almost a year touring OZ like this.