PDA

View Full Version : Bridgestone BT021 recall.

blackdog
14th September 2011, 17:06
At least in my opinion there should be one.

If you are currently running BT021's I would like to hear about your experiences to ascertain if the performance I'm getting from them is an issue for them all, or if I have just got a bad one.

It was already on the bike when I got it, and had really only been scrubbed in. Maybe 1000k on it or so and since then I've put another 2k on it (this is the rear). The front tyre was off the shelf when I picked the bike up (Pilot Road and it's performance is rubber magic).

This tyre is dangerous. It never really inspired confidence in the first 1000km I rode the bike, but most of this was taking it easy getting the feel of a new machine. A couple of warmer rides over the 'takas it felt skittish, not letting me tip in as quickly as would be normal without starting to step out. Letting me know that pushed any harder (not that hard i might add, it was two up and you know there was no way she was letting it get too spirited) highsiding was not out of the question.

Then the unthinkable happened on a relatively short city ride one morning. Completely dry road conditions through a left hand corner at maybe 40kph. A corner I have confidently taken many times far faster on a number of other bike/tyre combinations. With no warning whatsoever the back overtook the front and both bike and I were sliding off arse first across the wrong lane. If I was to offer any form of defence for it, I might say that it could have been a touch warmer but that's just rubbish. I have expected and received more from stonecold shinkos.

Today the bike got it's first reasonable run since then, over the Haywards and around the inlet to see how it felt and my impression of that goddamn hoop hasn't changed a whisker. Road conditions were premium and it is less than halfway through what I would consider should be it's usable life. At no point in my ride did I push any harder than maybe 70% of what I have been easily comfortable at on any of my other bikes. I am not a fast rider, 70% of my comfortable is probably 50% of someones who can actually ride quickly, and that only furthers my point. I'm not saying I'm a bad rider, I'm saying that the tyre behaves badly. It is extremely ill mannered at decidedly unextreme lean angles. I would go as far is to say that it is not fit for purpose.

If anyone elses experience with them is anything like mine, and we were in America we would class action sue their arses off. I have ridden on Bridgestones in the past and I have never had any complaints, but I sincerely doubt when I replace it in the very near future that it will be with another Bridgestone. In fact I know it won't. I'll have a Pilot Road to match the front please because they feel like they're made of rubber, not recycled Fanta bottles.

Bassmatt
14th September 2011, 17:22
Yeah I've had a set on my bike. I had no issues like that at all. I replaced them with conti road attacks, which in comparison to the BTs are rubbish (IMHO) and do have me sliding around a bit in the wet.

ducatilover
14th September 2011, 17:24
Have you run any other tyre on the bike before?

george formby
14th September 2011, 17:30
Not sure what your riding but the 021's have been tire of choice on my TDM's for years. Love em, wet & dry. Will happily scrape the pegs with good feedback & fairly quick turn in, they have saved my ass in the wet too. They don't last as long as some brands though.
I had a Conti road attack rear for a while & it felt positively teflon in comparison.

I hope you just got a dodgy one & they have'nt changed the recipe.

blackdog
14th September 2011, 17:30
Have you run any other tyre on the bike before?

Not on this one, but I've ridden the same model with a Conti Motion before without issue, in fact that one ran on a rail.

Have just been having a look at other peoples thoughts on teh web, lots of 1star reviews with a few 4's and 5's. Bad batches maybe? Or did they get feedback and sort the problem. Hmmm.

blackdog
14th September 2011, 17:37
Not sure what your riding but the 021's have been tire of choice on my TDM's for years. Love em, wet & dry. Will happily scrape the pegs with good feedback & fairly quick turn in, they have saved my ass in the wet too. They don't last as long as some brands though.
I had a Conti road attack rear for a while & it felt positively teflon in comparison.

I hope you just got a dodgy one & they have'nt changed the recipe.

Well it did let me scrape a peg. Once.

Hopefully just a dodgy batch. I don't know how long it's been on the bike come to think of it, only roughly the usage it's had. There is definitely no sign of deterioration visually, but I suppose that it's age could be a factor.

ducatilover
14th September 2011, 17:48
Not on this one, but I've ridden the same model with a Conti Motion before without issue, in fact that one ran on a rail.

Have just been having a look at other peoples thoughts on teh web, lots of 1star reviews with a few 4's and 5's. Bad batches maybe? Or did they get feedback and sort the problem. Hmmm.

I'd go with bad batch or something is really fucked on your bike....hopefully the former.

Latte
14th September 2011, 17:50
Is there any chance the 021's come in OEM versions? NOt that I've ridden on em,m but I've had OEM and Retail version of the 016's and you can tell the difference. Couple of twitchs, and rear breaking loose under accel on the oem, where it would have been fine on the retail.

Also possibly tire pressure - different model's/brands seem to require vastly different pressures for the same type/size of tire.

blackdog
14th September 2011, 18:00
I'd go with bad batch or something is really fucked on your bike....hopefully the former.

You cut n' paste that from your Magic 8 Ball didn't you.

ducatilover
14th September 2011, 18:11
You cut n' paste that from your Magic 8 Ball didn't you.

The magic conch shell said it

cs363
14th September 2011, 18:46
How old is the tyre? Check the stamping on the side of it for the manufacturing date - my bet is either an old tyre or wrong pressure (or both).

http://www.ehow.com/how_6904540_tell-age-motorcycle-tires.html

blackdog
15th September 2011, 11:41
How old is the tyre? Check the stamping on the side of it for the manufacturing date - my bet is either an old tyre or wrong pressure (or both).

http://www.ehow.com/how_6904540_tell-age-motorcycle-tires.html

Thanks for that, I'll check the date of manufacture later.

I was waiting for someone to suggest pressure, I can assure you that is not the problem. If for some reason I became so incompetent that I couldn't ensure I had the right amount of air in my tyres I will start taking the bus.

cs363
15th September 2011, 11:56
I was waiting for someone to suggest pressure, I can assure you that is not the problem. If for some reason I became so incompetent that I couldn't ensure I had the right amount of air in my tyres I will start taking the bus.

Then you missed your first opportunity: :lol:

Also possibly tire pressure - different model's/brands seem to require vastly different pressures for the same type/size of tire.

In all seriousness though, Latte does have a valid point - are you running the pressure that Bridgestone suggest for this tyre? I know it's probably not the root cause of the problem you are having, but the wrong pressure may be aggravating another issue? Just a thought...

While I'm not the biggest Bridgestone fan, they do make a good product that plenty of people swear by, so something strange is afoot!

willytheekid
15th September 2011, 12:01
Wow!:blink:

Thats Odd BLKDOG, I am currently running one of these on the Guzzi (and a BT020) and find them to be great all rounder's that perform very well for normal use.
They have been great through out winter & the last one I had in summer was very good as well.
In saying that tho, I did find that when they "go off" they do so very quickly...but nothing scary etc.
You might have a bad one? or the tyres profile may not suit your particular bike.

Hope the slide didn't do to much damage to your ride....and arse!

blackdog
15th September 2011, 12:27
Hope the slide didn't do to much damage to your ride....and arse!

Mostly cosmetic, and it wasn't that hot an arse to start with.

Eyegasm
16th September 2011, 15:31
You put the hoop on backwards didn't ya, ya numbnuts!!!

Hitcher
16th September 2011, 21:09
My Claytons Bandit had a set of 021s on it as OEMs. Just like the 020s they were presumably supposed to supersede, I found them to be disturbingly average. I don't rate them at all as a sports touring tyre. They made the Suzuki's steering particularly heavy and labourious. They didn't wear that well either, with the front starting to cup before the 10,000km mark.

There are way better tyres available. The Metzeler Interact Z8s I replaced them with have transformed the TNAB's handling to what should be expected from a modern sports touring motorcycle. I imagine that Conti Road Attack IIs, Avon Storms, or Dunlop Roadsmarts would all leave the Battlaxes sadly wanting.

george formby
17th September 2011, 09:39
My Claytons Bandit had a set of 021s on it as OEMs. Just like the 020s they were presumably supposed to supersede, I found them to be disturbingly average. I don't rate them at all as a sports touring tyre. They made the Suzuki's steering particularly heavy and labourious. They didn't wear that well either, with the front starting to cup before the 10,000km mark.

There are way better tyres available. The Metzeler Interact Z8s I replaced them with have transformed the TNAB's handling to what should be expected from a modern sports touring motorcycle. I imagine that Conti Road Attack IIs, Avon Storms, or Dunlop Roadsmarts would all leave the Battlaxes sadly wanting.

Hmmm, do I see a trend? I have had the conti on my TDM & it was exceedingly average & had to be treated with caution in the wet. The OE dunlop roadsmarts on the TDM 900 were bloody awful too, perhaps the 021's suit a lighter bike better?
I'm amazed you got over 10'000k on your 021 front, I triangulate one in about 7'000k but have huge confidence in them up to that point.
The conti rear lasted half as long again as the 021 front I was running.

Bob
18th September 2011, 09:15
I've been running Bridgestones on my bikes for years. BT020/021 I find give a good balance between decent lifespan and roadholding (especially in the wet).

I find Bridgestones normally let you know they've reached the edge and are about to let go (you get a small 'slip'), so let you back it off.

Regarding handling, the 021s aren't race-tyre sharp by any means, but they do let you push the front. When I owned one of the original Fazers, it came with the 010 front/020 rear combo (wasn't recommended BTW, it was just that an 020 wasn't made in the right profile originally). With the 010 on the front, the Fazer's handling was awesome. By the time I wore out the 010, they had brought out an 020 with the correct profile, so I had one fitted. Suddenly the handling was SO much slower!