PDA

View Full Version : Another Geezer on a Beemer in Auckland (CheapBastard)

CheapBastard
14th September 2011, 19:54
Hey all Kiwi Bikers,

I'm just another misplaced Yankee settling in the Antipodean region for a spell, and I dragged my 40-year old BMW with me (she's older and better looking than I am, and has been in the family since new). I've lived several places, most of them rainy, and have been riding (various machines) consistently for the past twenty years, so am looking forward to testing the New Zealand puddles as well. As a recently minted father with a pokey old bike, I'm mostly interested in any classic motorcycle shows or rallies and other slow-paced geeky events. Any hints on those? I've also been dabbling in the dual-sport/adventure riding thing in the past few years, so would be keen to learn about nearby opportunities for that sort of nonsense as well. I'm still trying to adjust to the sticker shock of bikes out here, but I'm sure that will fade with enough bottles of Speight's...:drinkup:

I look forward to the forums!

Sincerely,

CheapBastard

Edbear
15th September 2011, 07:43
Welcome to NZ! I'm suprised no-one has replied to your post already! Bad KB...:angry:

My back neighbour has an older BMW and a Triumph 650. He's also got an old Vespa but he never mentions it...:shutup:

If you'd like to pop up for a ride to Orewa sometime I'm sure he'd be interested in yours and compare notes.

Now's a great time to visit here as the weather is starting to warm up and there will be some cracker days for riding over the next few months! :scooter:

willytheekid
15th September 2011, 08:18
Welcome to KB & NZ CheapBastard :2thumbsup

Great to read you have bought your much loved BMW with you :yes:
Heaps of Auck riders around that will no doubt show you around and join for some laid back rides etc. (I would...but Im a "wee bit" south of you lol)

Welcome to the mad house mate :laugh:

....some "Rep" to get ya started & to feel welcome :niceone:

-Willy

CheapBastard
15th September 2011, 17:25
Hey,

Thanks for the welcome and pointers. Of course, I have a few more questions, if anyone cares to answer...

1. Does anyone know of any good airhead mechanics in the Auckland area (I mean for the BMW airhead engine, not for mental deficiencies)? Any experts on the North Shore would be even nicer...

2. Are there any off-road riding schools in the area? Because I really really suck at it, and want to enable others to laugh at my mistakes in a group setting (and have others around to help pick the bike up... lifting anything heavier than a pint repeatedly is damn close to manual labor, which obviously, as someone who owns a machine with a blue and white emblem, I am above). ;)

Thanks again for the warm welcome, and I look forward to the upcoming good weather!

Gremlin
15th September 2011, 17:30
More BMWs is always a good thing. :yes:

1 BMW dealer is in Auckland, http://bmw.experiencemotorcycles.co.nz/ and they're pretty good...

2 Not sure of schools, but there is the Auckland Gravel Adventure Riding Club: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/137911-Auckland-Gravel-Adventure-Riding-Club

Motu
15th September 2011, 18:38
Come and join the BFTP (blast from the past) community,we get out and ride our bikes and make sure we have a good time,I'm sure we could fit in one more BMW. My R65 is set up for gravel,I'd be happy to show you some of our Waikato gravel roads.

Voltaire
15th September 2011, 18:46
There is a John Hartles on the Shore who does old BMW's, someone here will have contact details....I'd give Experience a miss....
What does it need....I know people...good people......
I took my r50/5 on the Coro Loop a couple of years ago....slow but fun.:blink:

_Shrek_
16th September 2011, 19:12
welcome to KB :apint: & good to see another beammer, :scratch: rallies not sure they have them in the norf Is :whistle: but if you go into the
Adventure-Dual-Purpose-Bikes forum & you'll find some thing to your liking

& if ya get down to the mainland...... :facepalm: :corn:

CheapBastard
18th September 2011, 11:21
Cool, thanks for the info.

I have joined the BFTP group, and will be in touch.

As for mechanical needs, there's nothing pressing right now (well, I need to give the beast a tune-up and change the fluids again etc.), but I figure my valves will punish me eventually for neglecting their lead dosages.

I'm also rebuilding my wheels
(The rust-to-spoke ratio is offending even my limited aesthetic sensibilities), so would like someone with better tools to true and balance them after I've taken a crude stab at it...

So thanks for the leads!

Voltaire
18th September 2011, 15:00
I did my BMW wheels by sticking the axle in the vise and using dial guages to true them up. There is a wheel balancer on TM that would make it easier for about $130.00.

Bender
18th September 2011, 18:36
There's a North Auckland Street Skills group which may be what you want.

Send a PM to p.dath - he's the Nass man.

Welcome to the Shore and BFTP but don't go into your welcome thread at BFTP yet - those crusty old geezers have hijacked it to see who really is the cheapest bastard.

Max Headroom
18th September 2011, 21:09
Welcome to the Shore and BFTP but don't go into your welcome thread at BFTP yet - those crusty old geezers have hijacked it to see who really is the cheapest bastard.

And given the number of eligible contenders, it may take a little while to establish a clear leader . . . :innocent: