PDA

View Full Version : Xenon headlamps

quattro
15th September 2011, 11:54
Do you 'do' aftermarket xenon headlamps in NZ? I don't believe I've seen any reference to them since I've been looking on Trademe or KB.

imdying
15th September 2011, 12:14
Do you 'do' aftermarket xenon headlamps in NZ? I don't believe I've seen any reference to them since I've been looking on Trademe or KB.Yes, we do :yes:

quattro
15th September 2011, 12:21
Cool! They're essential in the neverending task that is avoiding the SMIDSY.

No issues with WOFs then? Are they easy to come?

EDIT: "..easy to come by..."

slofox
15th September 2011, 12:25
Are they easy to come?

If you rub them the right way, they'll...oops...:o

quattro
15th September 2011, 12:27
If you rub them the right way, they'll...oops...:o

Sarcastic bastid!! Gimme some slack. It's nearly 1.30am here and it's waaaaayyyyy past my bedtime!

imdying
15th September 2011, 12:28
No issues with WOFs then?Any change to the vehicles factory lighting system requires low volume vehicle certfication. In practice however you're generally fine.

Retrofit HID kits are specifically illegal in New Zealand as the standard reflectors are unable to control the scatter of the light, thus blinding oncoming traffic.

If you want to legally (i.e. not invalidate your insurance, get a WOF etc) fit a HID beam to your bike, you need to get a projector housing to retrofit to your existing headlight setup (unless you're on a naked bike and it's just a replacement item), the HID lamp and ballast kit itself, and then certification. In practice, plenty of people take the risk.

slofox
15th September 2011, 12:39
Sarcastic bastid!! Gimme some slack. It's nearly 1.30am here and it's waaaaayyyyy past my bedtime!

Couldn't resist...first day this week my brain has been working.

1.30am? You need ta get ta bed!...

bogan
15th September 2011, 12:40
Any change to the vehicles factory lighting system requires low volume vehicle certfication. In practice however you're generally fine.

Retrofit HID kits are specifically illegal in New Zealand as the standard reflectors are unable to control the scatter of the light, thus blinding oncoming traffic.

If you want to legally (i.e. not invalidate your insurance, get a WOF etc) fit a HID beam to your bike, you need to get a projector housing to retrofit to your existing headlight setup (unless you're on a naked bike and it's just a replacement item), the HID lamp and ballast kit itself, and then certification. In practice, plenty of people take the risk.

Not from what I cant tell, motherfucker won't copy and paste, but page three of the modification thresholds (http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/suplementary_information/LVVTA_LVV_Cert_Threshold.pdf) says LVV certification is never required for Lamps and Signaling. In service requirements must be met.

As far as we could figure out recently (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/141300-Aftermarket-indicator-legality/page2?highlight=e-marked) marked lamps (it was about e-marked indicators, but in searching for that the headlights seem to be the same situation) are not required, they show that the light passes a standard, but as long as the light meets the requirements of such standards, it doesn't need to be marked. It sounds too sensible to be true, but I cannot find any legislation that says otherwise.

I got a bi-xenon kit from theretrofitsource.com, which isn't fitted yet, but the light output when testing can only be described as epic :D

imdying
15th September 2011, 12:53
Best you take your HID setup to the WOF shop then :)

/edit: I will however tell you that under the current VIRM your retrofit kit is illegal, it's Reason For Rejection 5e.

(mostly because of this "the light output when testing can only be described as epic")

bogan
15th September 2011, 13:00
Best you take your HID setup to the WOF shop then :)

Said wof shop has already told me to go and print them off LVV cert information because they weren't sure :facepalm: Got the wof though :D

I ended up putting my projector behind a stock lens anyway, as I don't want to give them reason to find any other things that probably do require certifying :innocent:

bogan
15th September 2011, 13:02
/edit: I will however tell you that under the current VIRM your retrofit kit is illegal, it's Reason For Rejection 5e.

(mostly because of this "the light output when testing can only be described as epic")

Got a link?

imdying
15th September 2011, 13:04
Got a link?http://lmgtfy.com/

bogan
15th September 2011, 13:15
http://lmgtfy.com/

I have the VIRM for motorcycle lighting open, and on the headlamp page, but there is no 5e, and reason 5 deals with height :confused: unless you mean 12e, bright enough to dazzle, it's damn bright, but dispersed enough that will not be a problem. Either way, nothing specifically prohibits Xenon retrofits.

imdying
15th September 2011, 13:21
I have the VIRM for motorcycle lighting open, and on the headlamp page, but there is no 5e, and reason 5 deals with height :confused: unless you mean 12e, bright enough to dazzle, it's damn bright, but dispersed enough that will not be a problem. Either way, nothing specifically prohibits Xenon retrofits.Sorry, 14 D applies to bikes, incorrect beam pattern. Nothing in the motorcycle virm specifically prohibits HID retrofits as it's covered elsewhere.

bogan
15th September 2011, 13:25
Sorry, 14 D applies to bikes, incorrect beam pattern. Nothing in the motorcycle virm specifically prohibits HID retrofits as it's covered elsewhere.

Yeh that only applies to shitty retrofits where you just jammy an HID bulb in a stock bucket, good ones with lenses often have beam patterns more correct than stock.

imdying
15th September 2011, 13:30
Yeh that only applies to shitty retrofits where you just jammy an HID bulb in a stock bucket, good ones with lenses often have beam patterns more correct than stock.Yep, I agree. Sadly the man that gets to make the call on that isn't really qualified to do it, so you've a gamble on whether he'll pass it or not. I can live with that and I'm happy to take that chance. The SCU however have the resources to get somebody who is qualified, so so long as I don't hit a van fully of kiddies I should be fine :innocent:

The world would be a better place if everybody only ever fitted quality modifications, but I'd wager that 99% of HID 'kits' in NZ are a ballast and a HID bulb.