PDA

View Full Version : LTSA, thats just plain greedy!

inlinefour
12th July 2005, 13:15
Went down to one of the local testing stations today to get the bike legal again. After a slip of conscienceness, the rego, wof and the insurance has lapsed? Heck, I have to use it this week as the misses' car is getting panel work and she is using the Surf.
You know, I had all sorts of possible senireos (sp - yes Hitcher mine ain't the best) on why the bike would not pass a wof, bloody idiot, it passed straight through with the only comment that the rear brake pads are getting low (yep, was aware of that). New wof, check.
Come time to get the rego, I'm told that although I can pay for my wof via visa, I cannot pay for my rego via visa? What is the rational for that? I asked. I am told its a LTSA thing was the reply I originally got. I then made the statement that I thought it was rediculous. The other lady said it was because each time a business used visa as a payment option, they where charged a commission and check this, this is why the LTSA do not accept visa for both rego & road user KMs.
Dunno about the rest of you, but I quickly replied to that statement, oh so its a greed thing then? No comment was forth coming and I was given a card in case I wished to make a complaint. Na, I'll just let everyone know about it. What good will I do alone complaining about it? I reckon I have more chance of changing the LTSA, by hitting my head against a concrete brick wall.

LTSA = GREED

But I guess some of you probably allready knew this? :weird:

inlinefour
12th July 2005, 13:16
I only have a Visa. I'll have to grab the cashflow from the misses to pay the rego...

steved
12th July 2005, 13:46
I paid for my bike rego online with Visa so the LTSA has no problems with it. The rego arrived in the mail a couple of days later. I imagine that the refusal of Visa was a specific site policy.

raster
12th July 2005, 13:49
I paid for my bike rego online with Visa so the LTSA has no problems with it. The rego arrived in the mail a couple of days later. I imagine that the refusal of Visa was a specific site policy.

Didnt know you could do that.

WRT
12th July 2005, 13:54
I have been told the same thing as inlinefour when getting rego/warrant at the Mt Wellington station, but strangely enough, when I went to the testing station in Kingston today, they let me do a change of ownership on my shiny new bike trailer via visa? Is that not handled by LTSA?

Motu
12th July 2005, 14:19
Yeah,crazy alright - they wouldn't take a VISA card,but would accept my cheque,I'd kinda think it would be the other way round? I do it online now,if I haven't got the label on time,well they can check on the computer.

oldrider
12th July 2005, 14:30
Yes I agree. It pisses me off too but it's not the LTSA it's their "AGENTS". :weird:

Both AA and Kiwi post. I use the internet and Visa no problem. :whistle:

WRT
12th July 2005, 14:44
Is the price the same online as it is if you go into an agent? Do they add a surcharge to "cover" paying via Visa online, or do they subtract the agents fee/cut? Or do they figure that one cancels the other, and pocket the difference??

bear
12th July 2005, 14:51
Same price online. I reckon it probably is the agent's rules, and by avoiding credit card transactions they are able to retain more commission.

Flyingpony
12th July 2005, 14:52
Noticed that too when the bike was done last time.

Better check the car tonight, payment demand letter arrived care of my "hard to find Westcoast mailing address" :whistle: and not my actual Chch street address. Given the potential mail delivery lead time, that means it's rego is due very shortly and the WOF too :whistle: Thanks for the tip about using the web to pay for the rego. :clap: Will investigate it.

Mastercard recently advertised you can use your card to pay for 'everyday expenses and bills'.
Yeah right! Can't pay my phone or power bill with it can I :mad: have to use Eftpos card :mad: but in same post office I can pay for a single 45c stamp with credit card :love:

riffer
12th July 2005, 15:57
I've had this problem too.
It's been explained to me thusly:

Visa charge a 3% commission on eftpos transactions.
They are bound by law to charge a certain amount.

Therefore if they accept Visa transactions they have to pay the extra amount.

So it's a simple business decision.

avgas
12th July 2005, 16:29
The one that really gets me, is i recently got a credit card - and im a paranoid little freak. And ive vivided over the signature part of the card - so no one can sign for it.
But some place dont accept my pin - and request a signature. So theretically, if i stole someones card, forged their signature (which is quite nicely put on the back of the card), there would be no problem.
Stupid thing is, these are the same places that accept my eftpos pin......but no i cant do it for my credit card WTF!!!!!!!!
New world order i say - all gone to the loonies.
I mean either accept credit card, or dont accept it - but dont ask me to sign for it......cos i aint bloody famous.

riffer
12th July 2005, 16:42
Serves you all right for having credit cards.

I don't like them, won't use them. :whistle:

Jackrat
12th July 2005, 17:01
Got the same thing so went back home an payed over the net.
Guess once they realise their missing out on their commission they'll get their act togeather.I bet they lose more from people going on line than they do from accepting VISA.

Slim
12th July 2005, 20:42
Since the others have failed to mention it, here's the LTSA online transaction site:

http://www.ltsatransact.govt.nz/

You can also change your ownership on line too - great if you're selling privately. Do your bit, then drag the buyer into your computer & make them do their bit before they leave with the vehicle - saves mystery speeding & parking tickets showing up in the post. :D

inlinefour
12th July 2005, 21:12
Yes I agree. It pisses me off too but it's not the LTSA it's their "AGENTS". :weird:

Both AA and Kiwi post. I use the internet and Visa no problem. :whistle:

AA have the Visa option there and are happy for it to be used for all other things (I payed for my insurace that way). I have been told its specifically a LTSA thing, not accepting visa for the rego...

pritch
12th July 2005, 21:19
I'm told that although I can pay for my wof via visa, I cannot pay for my rego via visa? What is the rational for that? I asked. I am told its a LTSA thing was the reply I originally got.

Hi homie

I think maybe the lady is pulling your wire and the greed elemnent may be a bit closer to her desk. I buy RUC with a card, I don't know what the charges are but I do it over the phone, no questions.

inlinefour
12th July 2005, 21:27
Hi homie

I think maybe the lady is pulling your wire and the greed elemnent may be a bit closer to her desk. I buy RUC with a card, I don't know what the charges are but I do it over the phone, no questions.

I just sent out an email to the LTSA via their web site. They'll apparently get back to me in 2 days. I'll keep you posted. Oh and it was two different ladies at two different AA shops that informed my of the limitations regarding Visa. Oh and I'll be totally slutted if they do accept Visa payments online at the LTSA site... :mad:

Zapf
12th July 2005, 23:15
I just sent out an email to the LTSA via their web site. They'll apparently get back to me in 2 days. I'll keep you posted. Oh and it was two different ladies at two different AA shops that informed my of the limitations regarding Visa. Oh and I'll be totally slutted if they do accept Visa payments online at the LTSA site... :mad:

lol... they either won't read the email. Or read the email and say its too hard to reply. Or give it to a person who artfully replies in a way that makes the LTSA smells like roses..

inlinefour
13th July 2005, 01:26
lol... they either won't read the email. Or read the email and say its too hard to reply. Or give it to a person who artfully replies in a way that makes the LTSA smells like roses..

But I allways find out that when I do get those sort of responses, I politely ask what their rational is for what ever it is. Really gets them going, or shuts them up... :weird:

What?
13th July 2005, 06:32
Judging by communications I have had with them in the recent past, I'd bet you are wrong on all counts (doesn't mean I like LTSA any better, though)

raster
13th July 2005, 06:40
It's been that way as long as I can remember, I always thort it stemmed from the fact that cards can be used fraudulantly and payment can be withheld if card is stolen.
LTSA have no competition in this area so they get payment anyway without so much risk.

inlinefour
14th July 2005, 17:13
Good afternoon John

Land Transport New Zealand Agents have a choice as to what methods of payment they accept for a transaction. Most agents find the extra bank fees charged for a credit card transaction a deterrent to accept this type of payment.

The Land Transport NZ Transaction Centre website does accept MasterCard and Visa credit card payments for the following transactions:
the Application for Motor Vehicle Licence (MR1)
the Notice of Change of Ownership of Motor Vehicle (MR13B)
and the Application for Exemption from Continuous Licensing (MR24), when there are outstanding licensing fees owing.
At this stage, the option to purchase Road User Charges (RUC) online is not available.

As another department is currently working on the implementation of being able to pay Road User Charges (RUC) online, I am also unable to give you a time frame.

However, so that you may keep an eye on the Transaction Centre website, I have attached a link below.
www.ltsatransact.govt.nz/

I hope this clarifies the situation for you. If you have any further queries, please email us at info@landtransport.govt.nz.

Kind regards

Bloody AA, they where lying through their teeth...

XTC
14th July 2005, 18:34
We have just registered our cage with LTSA online. Did it tuesday via visa and label turned up today. You can do it online and if you want the label sooner you can go to a LTSA agent and ask for a reprint. Though 2 days is pretty quick.

inlinefour
14th July 2005, 23:44
We have just registered our cage with LTSA online. Did it tuesday via visa and label turned up today. You can do it online and if you want the label sooner you can go to a LTSA agent and ask for a reprint. Though 2 days is pretty quick.

Will be doing it that way from now on. I guess AA has just lost some custom :devil2:

XTC
15th July 2005, 09:33
From what I've heard the AA and others make next to nothing out of selling you a reg and c/c fees mean they make even less so why do they even bother??