PDA

View Full Version : BHS on a scooter?

Newbi
22nd September 2011, 09:36
Can you sit your basic handling skills test on a scooter? What if the scooter is automatic?? Aren't most of them? I know they are classed as motorbikes if they are over 50cc etc.:scooter:

The Baron
22nd September 2011, 10:04
Yes. My wife sat hers on a 125 scooter.

And passed. I,m so proud..

sinfull
22nd September 2011, 10:11
Most BHS outfits have small bikes for you to do the course on so you don't need to find a scooter ! Could even do it on your 250 if you wanted (i take it you have the bike in your profile ?)

Newbi
22nd September 2011, 11:36
Most BHS outfits have small bikes for you to do the course on so you don't need to find a scooter ! Could even do it on your 250 if you wanted (i take it you have the bike in your profile ?)

Unfortunately I live in Kaitaia, so No they don't provide bikes of any shape or form, and to answer your question Yes I do have my Intruder. Thing is the only place I have to practise is our metal driveway, which isn't very wide although it is a full loop. I have been up the road a little way a few times but that is also a metal road. But my biggest issue is the cone slalom, I am not sure whether it is the fact that I can't go out wide to get round them, because of the narrow drive or if it's because my riding is real bad. I'm getting pretty disheartened with the whole thing to be honest, and don't have anyone up here to help me. Hence the reason for the scooter question, thought I would just do it that way, get my learners and then at least be able to get my bike to town to practise, at my husbands work. Easier to ride it to town than piss about with trailers etc. Anyways I've gone on long enough, your probably regretting asking now lol (sorry):yes:

wysper
22nd September 2011, 14:43
Anyways I've gone on long enough, your probably regretting asking now lol (sorry):yes:

Don't be, it is good to ask questions. And you never know, it may turn out there is someone on here close by that can help you out.

Doing anything new on your own is hard. Hopefully you don't give up, riding is fun.

I can't help much, I am down in the 'tron. Good luck and keep at it.

Newbi
22nd September 2011, 20:52
Don't be, it is good to ask questions. And you never know, it may turn out there is someone on here close by that can help you out.

Doing anything new on your own is hard. Hopefully you don't give up, riding is fun.

I can't help much, I am down in the 'tron. Good luck and keep at it.

Thanks for the words of support Wysper, I love Kiwibiker, everyone is sooo helpful. Well I'm off to Whangarei next week to have a lesson first if I need one and then to sit my BHS and not on a scooter either which I feel better about. EEK fingers crossed:blink:

Spearfish
22nd September 2011, 21:03
Are you able to make a "weekend away" trip to Auckland?

If you could then book the training and test with riderskills they will get you capable of passing the test then do the test in a few hours and supply a bike as part of the deal.
(http://www.riderskills.co.nz/default.asp?pageref=basichandling&rightbar=certnews)

Once your legal on the road the worst is over as far as getting to a practice site.

DrunkenMistake
22nd September 2011, 21:25
dont do it on a scooter,
one of the things is to ride in a straight line for 10 seconds or something like this, the distance isnt that far so it has to be extremely slow, a scooter would be a little harder to do it on unless it was a 125,

The idea been you put the bike in first, let out the clutch and let it idle down the length of it at like 2km/h.

I would recommend avoiding the scooter if possible.

sinfull
24th September 2011, 07:45
Unfortunately I live in Kaitaia, so No they don't provide bikes of any shape or form, and to answer your question Yes I do have my Intruder. Thing is the only place I have to practise is our metal driveway, which isn't very wide although it is a full loop. I have been up the road a little way a few times but that is also a metal road. But my biggest issue is the cone slalom, I am not sure whether it is the fact that I can't go out wide to get round them, because of the narrow drive or if it's because my riding is real bad. I'm getting pretty disheartened with the whole thing to be honest, and don't have anyone up here to help me. Hence the reason for the scooter question, thought I would just do it that way, get my learners and then at least be able to get my bike to town to practise, at my husbands work. Easier to ride it to town than piss about with trailers etc. Anyways I've gone on long enough, your probably regretting asking now lol (sorry):yes:
No regrets here !
And don't go getting disheartened , just keep at it , set ya cones up on the lawn and do ya slalome there, any concrete patch like a garage or even a porch, draw a chalk square and practice stopping ya front wheel on that !
Know one thing though, with you practicing on a gravel drive/road or whatever, you have an advantage over any other Newbi (your going to regret that name in time lol), that being half the new riders that get their licences never get to ride on gravel, then one day they come accross some on a road somewhere and wham, no idea how to cope with a little slide and hello, or just freak and freeze up !
You on the other hand will ride out of the gravel and go hehehe this tarmat shit is easy !!!

ICE180
24th September 2011, 08:19
yup I did my full on a scooter and all others so yup you can

Newbi
25th September 2011, 07:35
Thank's everyone for your imput and supportive comments. I have now got an appointment to do my BHS in Whangarei on a Suzuki GN 250, so finally things are coming together for me. Now got to sort some protective gear.:yes:

DrunkenMistake
25th September 2011, 07:44
Thank's everyone for your imput and supportive comments. I have now got an appointment to do my BHS in Whangarei on a Suzuki GN 250, so finally things are coming together for me. Now got to sort some protective gear.:yes:

Good stuff!
Just remember some of those bits and pieces are easier to do in idle,
I.E the part where you need to weave in and out of the cones and do the 10 seconds in a straight line within the cones,
just ease out the clutch and let it do its own thing without touching the throttle.

Good luck!

nzspokes
25th September 2011, 08:05
Good stuff!
Just remember some of those bits and pieces are easier to do in idle,
I.E the part where you need to weave in and out of the cones and do the 10 seconds in a straight line within the cones,
just ease out the clutch and let it do its own thing without touching the throttle.

Good luck!

I went to slow in the between the cones. :facepalm: