PDA

View Full Version : NZ Internet options

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 13:47
I recently changed internet providers and came across this site:

www.consumer.org.nz

Worth paying for a membership if you buy a lot of things. But if you just want to compare ISP providers this site seems to be the best:

www.telme.org.nz

And finally I found this site that shows reviews for NZ ISP providers:

www.broadbandme.co.nz

What are your experiences with your ISP providers? Who would you recommend?

Edbear
22nd September 2011, 13:52
I recently changed internet providers and came across this site:

www.consumer.org.nz

Worth paying for a membership if you buy a lot of things. But if you just want to compare ISP providers this site seems to be the best:

www.telme.org.nz

And finally I found this site that shows reviews for NZ ISP providers:

www.broadbandme.co.nz

What are your experiences with your ISP providers? Who would you recommend?

I've been with TelstraClear for a few years now, and each time I've had a look at the others for total home packages, TelstraClear comes out very well, so I haven't shifted. We had an issue with something recently and they went out of their way to try to resolve it for us, and eventually tracked it down to something at our particular place, probably our older router. They were patient and friendly and called frequently to check up with us. I didn't even have to wait for ages on the freephone number for them to answer!

So for me, they get the big tick! :yes:

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 13:55
Thank you for that Ed Bear. I was with Woosh wireless as it was cheap. But with that came slow speeds - on average I was getting about 100kbps which is really shocking.

Slingshot are doing some fantastic looking deals at the moment with 50% off and big data plans. However the reviews I found were 99% negative.

I will never go with Telecom, mostly out of principle but also because they are the most expensive.

Scuba_Steve
22nd September 2011, 14:01
If your in a TelstraClear cable area I'd go with them, there price is pretty much unbeatable & speed is pretty decent think 14 down 2 up, wouldn't reconmend their customer service as such, freindly enouth, just not what I'd call "excellent"

Telecom I've always found to be pretty excellent in both my dealings with them & speed etc & if I wern't in a TelstraClear cable area & I was stuck on ADSL I'd probably still be with them (now comes the flame for giving Telecom the ups)

Vodafone, Shit. Not much more to say, customer service... um yea???:blink:, speed pathetic "but it was always the fault of something else" strange since no other company had problems, reliablity yea I guess I can give them that, they were reliably shit. My experiance stay away, I'm sure others have different tho???

Edbear
22nd September 2011, 14:04
Thank you for that Ed Bear. I was with Woosh wireless as it was cheap. But with that came slow speeds - on average I was getting about 100kbps which is really shocking.

Slingshot are doing some fantastic looking deals at the moment with 50% off and big data plans. However the reviews I found were 99% negative.

I will never go with Telecom, mostly out of principle but also because they are the most expensive.

On BB we've got max/max which means whatever the lines will take we get, which averages about 6.5mps download. They've also just increased us from 25 to 40G pack with no increase in fees. I get 40min per month free diversion from homephone to cellphone and free calling nationwide to any landline.

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:06
Telstraclear: $79 a month for 1GB ? That's not very good!

slofox
22nd September 2011, 14:10
Vodafone, Shit. Not much more to say, customer service... um yea???:blink:, speed pathetic "but it was always the fault of something else" strange since no other company had problems, reliablity yea I guess I can give them that, they were reliably shit. My experiance stay away, I'm sure others have different tho???

I get pretty good speeds with vodafone - around 6.5 down and 2 up.

I'm only with them because they bought up the guys who bought up Wave who were my original ISP. Reliability is a lot better these last two years than it was. But when things do go bung they are really hard to get hold of...

Oh and by having landline and broadband together, I get a free MySky...I like MySky.

Gremlin
You're going to find a negative review for every single ISP. On the plus side, you're going to find a positive review for every single ISP.

You get what you pay for, I've had negative experiences from pretty much every ISP at some point, over a broad range of products.

The sad one currently is Orcon going downhill over the last year or so... used to be very good.

Edbear

No, I pay about 130.00 for everything, now including 40G

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:15
No, I pay about 130.00 for everything, now including 40G

Slingshot:

30GB for $40 a month (naked dsl)

Edbear
22nd September 2011, 14:20
Slingshot:

30GB for $40 a month (naked dsl)

Is that the 50% off broadband for 6mths deal? It won't load for some reason.

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:21
Yes, looks good. But there is A LOT of bad reviews.

Yes seem the Slingshot website is a bit picky with web browsers. Chrome is okay until you want to submit a form, IE seems to work okay.

Edbear
22nd September 2011, 14:26
Yes, looks good. But there is A LOT of bad reviews.

Yes seem the Slingshot website is a bit picky with web browsers. Chrome is okay until you want to submit a form, IE seems to work okay.

Okay, I also got free the latest Nokia 3G they offer, with no monthly charge, ie: free, and only 19c/min to call. I've got call divert, remote call divert and those 40min diversion to cell free.

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:28
Sounds good, but that is still a lot of money to be paying each month.

Just for comparison, a relative in UK pays 12 pounds a month for phone and unlimited full speed broadband and includes free calling to over 10 countries.

Scuba_Steve
22nd September 2011, 14:29

Think your looking in the wrong place...
I'm 69$ naked :blip: or there abouts 40GB limit, but thats the big thing I don't like about TC "we won't slow your internet when you hit ya cap" yea ya just charge me more :angry: after sending the "your at 80%" email after I've breached 100% & the "your've run out" the day after :facepalm: stupid delayed updating!!!
So now I manually check it saves the extra costs :yes:

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:33
I'm 69$ naked :blip: or there abouts 40GB limit, but thats the big thing I don't like about TC "we won't slow your internet when you hit ya cap" yea ya just charge me more :angry: after sending the "your at 80%" email after I've breached 100% & the "your've run out" the day after :facepalm: stupid delayed updating!!!

Sounds like a good little earner for TC !

Edbear
22nd September 2011, 14:33
Sounds good, but that is still a lot of money to be paying each month.

Just for comparison, a relative in UK pays 12 pounds a month for phone and unlimited full speed broadband and includes free calling to over 10 countries.

Maybe, but we're not in the UK, unfortunately, with all those countries within a stonesthrow... Much bigger market there.

You're using more than 40G ..?...:blink:

Edbear
22nd September 2011, 14:34
Oh, I forgot, we also have faxability.

Scuba_Steve
22nd September 2011, 14:38
You're using more than 40G ..?...:blink:

Damm giggity :yes:, even hit it a couple of times completly legal too

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:40
Faxability would be handy - currently spending $4-7 a week sending faxes from copy shop round the corner! I keep telling my work to upgrade their systems out of the stone age but they like getting faxes I think!

I can easily do without a phone line. I have a phone line with woosh but for the past year I think they only phone calls I've had have been the odd one or two from my mother! :innocent: Most of the calls I make are to business so usually an 0800 number which would be free from my cell phone anyway. Plus would mean I would have to buy a fax machine and I don't think I could cope with the embarrassment of walking out of a shop holding a fax machine!

oneofsix
22nd September 2011, 14:44
Damm giggity :yes:, even hit it a couple of times completly legal too

Guad dammit you peoples that don't listen to the propaganda are really annoying. In future please remember the only way to use many Gs is to be illegally file sharing and that is the only use for torrents.
BTW just downloaded the linux mint Os last night via torrent, anybody tried this or have I wasted my time?

Scuba_Steve
22nd September 2011, 14:45
Sounds like a good little earner for TC !

haha try this page (http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/residential/inhome/internet/cable-broadband/naked-broadband.cfm)

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:47
Guad dammit you peoples that don't listen to the propaganda are really annoying. In future please remember the only way to use many Gs is to be illegally file sharing and that is the only use for torrents.
BTW just downloaded the linux mint Os last night via torrent, anybody tried this or have I wasted my time?

Or if you just set up a private shared NAT (or is it NAS?) full of files that only people I give the password to can use. They can stream video from my external HDD to their tv wherever they are in the world. Uses my upload data AND their download data... so yes will use a lot of GB !

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:50
haha try this page (http://www.telstraclear.co.nz/residential/inhome/internet/cable-broadband/naked-broadband.cfm)

Curses!

Slingshot still cheapest though...

What sort of speeds are people getting?

This shows my speeds at home, then the big spike is me sitting outside work with my laptop.... :innocent:

Gremlin
22nd September 2011, 14:50
NAS: Network Attached Storage...

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:52
NAS: Network Attached Storage...

Yeah, that's the one :facepalm:

...needless to say I have not got it working yet :brick:

YellowDog
22nd September 2011, 14:53

Another +1 for Testra. $75per month for Phone line, 10Mb line speed (goes as slow as 7Mb), and 20Gb of data.

The line speed is dependent upon where you actually live. Service was a problem following the CHCH shakes, which you'd expect as that's where they are, but they're pretty reliable really.

The Orcon deals look quite putstandsing, but they're still on Telecom's switchgear. Telstra have their own gear in a lot of areas (my aresa in particular) :yes:

Gremlin
22nd September 2011, 14:55
The Orcon deals look quite putstandsing, but they're still on Telecom's switchgear.
I'd double check that... they have a lot of their own gear all over the place, and Orcon is based on the shore, both main building and datacentre.

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 14:58
Anyone know where the fibre optic maps went? They used to be on Vector site and showed current fibre and future fibre. But now I cannot find them - I last looked 2-3 years ago! Specifically the Epsom area where my current 'lair' is!

Gremlin
22nd September 2011, 15:00
Anyone know where the fibre optic maps went? They used to be on Vector site and showed current fibre and future fibre.

http://www.vectorfibre.co.nz/network/coverage

Spearfish
22nd September 2011, 15:04
I'm with slingshot $97 for phone and 40g data + data is free between 1 and 7. If you buy extra data blocks they don't expire. I've been with them for years and years so as far as comparisons go...I dunno if that helps.

Does anyone know what are the internet options are for Gore? (heading down that way early next year)

oneofsix
22nd September 2011, 15:04
Yeah, that's the one :facepalm:

...needless to say I have not got it working yet :brick:

yep was trying to work out what Network Address Translation had to do with anything.
Network Attached Storage makes more sense but you are still sharing media files so you are still obeying the propaganda, unless they are your own files that you own the copywrite to in which case you worse

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 15:10
yep was trying to work out what Network Address Translation had to do with anything.
Network Attached Storage makes more sense but you are still sharing media files so you are still obeying the propaganda, unless they are your own files that you own the copywrite to in which case you worse

I could always sell remote access to the 3TB hard drive..... hmmmmm....

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 15:13
I'm with slingshot $97 for phone and 40g data + data is free between 1 and 7. If you buy extra data blocks they don't expire. I've been with them for years and years so as far as comparisons go...I dunno if that helps.

Does anyone know what are the internet options are for Gore? (heading down that way early next year)

Yes I saw that, plus they don't count Steam content against your data (great for PC gamers!).

Disco Dan
22nd September 2011, 15:19
http://www.vectorfibre.co.nz/network/coverage

Thanks, seems it goes down the two main streets either side of mine. Hmm. Would imagine speeds should be okay!

YellowDog
22nd September 2011, 15:19
Whilst I am a happy Telstra user, a negative point against them is that they seem to count in a way that makes 6Gb looking like 7.5Gb. Xtra's usage meters counted less. :shit:

2Seat_Terror
22nd September 2011, 16:23
just downloaded the linux mint Os last night via torrent, anybody tried this or have I wasted my time?

It's the only OS I use, on both machines. My wife likes it too. :yes: It's not perfect, of course, but that's far more true of some more common OSes... :innocent:

Looking at Orcon's naked deals... could save myself $15 a month or more; from what I can tell the connection and service would not be worse than the Vodafone we're on now.

Reido
4th October 2011, 11:42
I have vodafone naked broadband, $65 for 45GB or I can double my data to 90GB for $30.
Get 16mbps+ down and around 1mbps up on speedtest.net

Average download speed (depending on the server) is 1.2mbps - 2mbps.

Very happy =]

Edit: Well thats amusing..
Right after posting this I cant access any international sites, apparently.

Usarka
4th October 2011, 12:35
Right after posting this I cant access any international sites, apparently.

Yeah my vodagroan has packed a wobbly too. For the first time ever KB works and nothing else does, usually it's the other way dnuora! :wacko:

bogan
4th October 2011, 13:01
Yeah my vodagroan has packed a wobbly too. For the first time ever KB works and nothing else does, usually it's the other way dnuora! :wacko:

huh, was just about to post this issue, as I'm having the same problem. Vodafone fault reporting page is also down :s

jim.cox
4th October 2011, 13:27
huh, was just about to post this issue, as I'm having the same problem. Vodafone fault reporting page is also down :s

Vodafone are reselling Telecom Broadband

When you have a problem with it - you call VF and they call Telecom

Given the quality of Vodafone service I'd rather be a Telecom customer, and be able to use their helpdesk and to log faults with them directly

Gremlin
4th October 2011, 14:28
Vodafone are reselling Telecom Broadband
Depends on area, and which equipment you are talking about.

Vodafone (and Orcon, not sure of others) do have their own gear in exchanges in some places, and not just using Telecom exchanges. It allows them to offer extra services, all down the line etc.

Ultimately, the copper line into your wall jack has never changed tho.

Usarka
4th October 2011, 18:49
Very timely discussion about vodafone.

The cocks just sent me a bill for $360, with 2 lines of Faul Diagnosis - Broadband at $145 each.

I never called them this month. Maybe they read my post above and decided to get back at me!?!?!?! :shit: