PDA

View Full Version : GSX250 punked brake pistons

monkey99
12th July 2005, 15:55
Hi y'all

I have a friend who has purchased a GSX250 in the last 2 months ...brake pistons may be warped/rust & pitted...It is going to WMC to be checked over :mad: has any person had problems of this nature before with Zuks?

Or have they had this Quote "I've had a suspicion my brakes have been rubbing for a little while, and last night I put the bike up on it's centre stand and spun the front wheel and, sure enough, it came to a grinding halt in unnatural time. I just rang WMC and booked it in, mentioning the problem, and the dude said that it was probably because my brake pistons had rusted. Does that sound right to you? It's two months old. Sure it's spent some time outside, but it's always covered over night and stuff, spends most of it's time covered." end quote

any all feedback appreciated...but no spaming on this thread please :grouphug:

Paul in NZ
12th July 2005, 16:00
Depends....

Most brake work is pretty straight forwards .... And really, if it's just a couple of months old? Isn't there a warranty with it?

Check what it's covered with. Plastic is NOT a good idea as it sweats and the bike corrodes pretty quickly underneath. Something breathable is way better.

Some bikes are made to a price and sometimes the makers get it wrong regardless of price. Sometimes just eating a bag of extra salted peanuts in front of one will start it rusting... See what WMC say. They are good blokes (usually)

Cheers

monkey99
12th July 2005, 16:10
Plastic is NOT a good idea as it sweats and the bike corrodes pretty quickly underneath. Something breathable is way better.

Some bikes are made to a price and sometimes the makers get it wrong regardless of price. Sometimes just eating a bag of extra salted peanuts in front of one will start it rusting... See what WMC say.

Cheers Paul, reckon you are on the nail here.. GSX were always made as cheap market option...I hope his Warranty will cover "replacement" of the brake units...if it starts corroding after 2 months it could be hell in 10-16 months...could be just a bad unit...but I will check with what he is covering it with.. :cold:

monkey99
12th July 2005, 16:49
quote of owner "It's just your normal run-of-the-mill cover. Don't know about breathability, to be honest. One of those silvery ones..." unquote..

geoffm
12th July 2005, 21:19
I have had the same problemns with my Yamaha LC's. I ended up buying a chunk of stainless steel and turning some new brake pistons up. The originals are chrome plated steel and rust had come through the chrome.
Plan on replacing the seals as well as the brake pistons. It will not be cheap.
Geoff

Dafe
12th July 2005, 21:27
Man how bizarre! I just spoke to a mate on the phone, he's really close to buying a 250 and he had some concerns about the GSX build quality because he's heard from a guy that his one was rusting after two months, so I did a search online here for him and found this:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=8136&highlight=gsx+rust

I think he's gone off the idea of a GSX250. Thats the third bike less than 2 months old and rusting.

Sorry to hear mate, I hope WMCC can help you out.

Dafe
12th July 2005, 21:30
Turns out the dude who rung me, knows you. Peter Adams.

Salival
12th July 2005, 22:06
Hi all,

The GSX250 in question is mine. Thank you all very much for your feedback. I've booked it in for Wednesday next week - it was bought brand new with a 24 month warranty so I won't be too happy if they try to charge me for any repairs done. If it's a common fault I'll try to sell it on ASAP in the hope that the balance of a warranty will help me along.

I'll keep you posted on what happens.

And it's a really small world, Dafe - I also work with Peter. You don't happen to have a P-plate do you? (Not printing it here, of course!) Ride into town in the mornings? If so, I think you filter past me on your way to work sometimes.

- Ben.

Dafe
12th July 2005, 22:15
Hi Salival & welcome to the world of posting, KB Style.
Nah. I'm a weekend rider, Its the company cage during the week.
I know most the blue SV's around town but not heard of any P**** plates though.
Small world alright - I think Petes talking himself into a CBR600 as his first bike.
I keep trying to tell him..... If it has to be a 600, Firstly ZX636, Second GSXR600, Third R6, Last but not least the Honda CBR600. Keep hassling him, he needs a beast not a kitten.

Pex Adams
15th July 2005, 14:13
Look Punks, first of all lets get this straight. I am looking at getting 2 bikes, one for me and one for my misses. She hadn't riden a motorbike until we did the roadsafe course earlier this year, and doesn't want to take things to fast

Secondly, I will get her a 250, which is what SHE wants! The reason I like this idea, is that when I go for my restricted, and full I'll have the bike to use.
Which will then allow me to get a CBR Daphneeeee!!!! :motu:

And Ben, get back to work!

And Monky, I still can't justify spending $4k on a 14 year old motorbike. Especially when I could spend $4k on a 1-2 year old bike :weird: I just think its TOO old!!!

Salival
22nd July 2005, 09:47
Okay, an update on this:

Took it in to get looked at on Wednesday, got a call about 11 o'clock from the dude who was working on it - basically he phoned to say 'wtf, mate?' and that the brakes weren't rubbing. I assured him that if they weren't today, they at least had been no more than two days before. So he took the entire assembly apart, planed the disc and reset the pads, etc - no evidence of rust or anything, apparently. So that's good news.

Seems good now, tho - no rubbing as far as I can tell, so that's a plus. It did cost me $55- but that doesn't bother me all that much, as I think that's about half the actual cost.

As long as it doesn't start doing it again, I'm reasonably happy. :-)

monkey99
22nd July 2005, 10:51
:nono: still don't like those bikes :whistle: Stop smokin bad weed pete :weird: I would never go for a bike that old for that much :weird:

..And Dafe...CBR6 is good for several reasons...commuting with ease..not sore wrists/whiplash ; )..cheap & plentiful parts for weekend decking :clap: and good build quality that will not shred itself after a few long trips :yes:

I like some of these newer bikes...but :whocares: Pete, stick with Honda..build quality and parts available will keep you faithful til you have the income to flash around on 636 Nitros etc :Punk: either that or buy a CBR 6 and put a 900 lump in with a proarm, ohlins, 6 pots and insurance :rofl:

Dafe
30th August 2005, 20:38
So Pete's finally now got his dolleros!

GSX250 aye? Well this is gonna be farkin scary!!!
BTW - If you crash ya noob, whatever you do, don't let your head hit the ground, not until you've got your own helmet.

Better place some warning signs on the Rimatakas this weekend. Even better still, better close the road!

Aaron
31st August 2005, 12:31
I put the bike up on it's centre stand and spun the front wheel and, sure enough, it came to a grinding halt in unnatural time.

I brought a new GSX250 in April of this year. The first disk rubs at low speed, (has done for some time). I initially thought it might have warped due to some rapid braking from high speed, but the disk is drilled so that shouldn't happen, eh? (does get a bit hot, the pads overheat and start gripping on the disk, exciting stuff... :shit:).

It's going in for the 6k service in September, I'll get them to investigate the pistons.

I have had the same problemns with my Yamaha LC's. I ended up buying a chunk of stainless steel and turning some new brake pistons up.

My father has a lathe, if rusty pistons is my problem too is it much of a job? Do you have any tips based on hindsight?

Regarding Ramius and his possesed bike, I too had trouble with the stand. However mine was the centre stand. Seems too many nights in the squat rack had a detrimental effect on the alignment of the tubes. We welded a nice bracket between the stand and foot lever, no more unwanted bending :)

I have to say though, in the GSX250's defence, that it's been (is) an excellend first bike and I have no regrets in purchasing one.

GR81
31st August 2005, 13:27
... I have to say though, in the GSX250's defence, that it's been (is) an excellend first bike and I have no regrets in purchasing one.
My GSX250 is about 18months old now... and it has shown no signs what so ever of rusting.
Also no regrets buying it :woohoo:

geoffm
2nd September 2005, 23:35
My father has a lathe, if rusty pistons is my problem too is it much of a job? Do you have any tips based on hindsight?

No, a straight foward operation. Turned the outside and faced the end, bored the centre, all on one setup to make sure the end (what touches the brake pads) and the outside were all square. Cut off, turned the inside face flat and put a chamfer on the edge. I did 4 in a couple of hours or less, so I had some for my spare calipers.
Make sure the outside is turned smooth so it doesn't stuff the seals - common sense really. If you need to, you might be able to match the seals at a brake place - the Yamaha seals matched a Falcon (?) seal, but the price was much the same as OEM Yamaha bits. Couldn't find any aftermarket seal kits for the LC at the time. The GSX250 should have seal kits available.

I got my stainless from Stainless Alloys, in Harris Road. Stainless is can be gummy and not very nice to turn, depending on the grade. I used 316, since that is what they had. Use a slow speed, high feed so it doesn't work harden, and cutting oil or coolant. Carbide tips may also help, although I just used standard HSS tool bits.
Geoff