PDA

View Full Version : Review: "The Upper Half of the Motorcycle" Bernt Spiegel

pritch
24th September 2011, 20:18
The Upper Half of the Motorcycle
on the unity of rider and machine

Bernt Spiegel

If I may begin by quoting from the blurb on the back of the book?

“The book opens with a fascinating exploration of the development and workings of the human brain; how it was shaped by evolution, how many of our physical actions are controlled by “built-in” (subconscious) “programs,”
how we perceive our world (our “mesocosm”), how we use our foresight, and how we apply what we learn, particularly our remarkable adaptability.”

Apart from being an impressively lengthy sentence, that quote hints at the nature of some of the content of the book. Certainly, in my case anyway, this book really did demand more effort than a casual bedtime read.

“The second section describes the interaction between our built in programs and our conscious actions and explores man's use of tools to extend his capabilities – a motorcycle being one such tool.”

“The third section discusses the “integration” of man and tool - rider and motorcycle.”

“The fourth section describes self-training techniques to achieve higher levels of performance.”

“The fifth section provides specific recommendations for practical training.”

So by now you could be forming an opinion as to whether this book might be of interest to you.
It has interested quite a lot of people previously, “The Upper Half” is in its third edition and ninth printing. All printings preceding this 2010 English language edition though were in Dr Spiegel's native German.

Dr Spiegel lectured in psychology at German universities but after founding his own institute was working mainly on research commissioned by the automotive industry. His involvement with motorcycles was a hobby. He was, however, a senior instructor for training sessions run by MOTORRAD magazine at the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

The author explains that the evolution of the human being has done nothing to prepare us for motorcycling, or for that matter motor vehicles in general. People who, having been predisposed by evolution to be afraid of heights, or other natural hazards, can be observed indulging in potentially dangerous behaviour in a motor vehicle entirely oblivious to the risks they (or others) may face as a result of their actions.

Some of the defence mechanisms hardwired into humans are actually counter productive when riding a motorcycle. For instance when faced with danger we tend to tense up and shorten the range of our vision. Neither of which is helpful when riding.

While most of the book is fairly heavy on theory, the last quarter or so is eminently practical. There are examples of Dymotape reminders such as “late entry” which people stick on the bike to remind them of the particular facet of their riding that they wish to work on. I've seen photos of racing bikes with such labels but Dr Spiegel gives a comprehensive selection, each one followed by a comprehensive explanation.

One example reads “3....6....1....6....1....” This refers to an exercise which it is recommended that a rider perform on every bike with which they wish to become familiar. The idea is to ride at a speed for which you'd normally use third gear, say 50 to 60kph, changing up and down through the gearbox while maintaining a constant speed. "It is emphasized that this exercise can turn out badly. Some people don't try to match engine speed or do so only haphazardly." Used successfully though this exercise will make a rider better at using the the throttle to achieve the appropriate RPM when changing down.

(I am aware that this exercise is potentially controversial on KB where seemingly there are those who resolutely refuse to admit that any such matching of RPM is even necessary.)

The book certainly approaches the topic from a different direction to any other motorcycling book I have read. One instance of this is the recommendation that if things on the road immediately ahead turn too seriously to shite, you take to the scenery. Instruction is given on how best to manage going “off road”. In Germany arable crops are not fenced, generally only fields containing animals are fenced. Charging into a wheat field at speed certainly sounds less damaging than riding headlong into a barbed wire fence. Although I guess a situation could arise so dire that the fence was the least damaging of all available options.

This possibly isn't the best book for a learner. The content is more suited to someone who has already mastered the basics and is seeking greater understanding of their riding.

I don't wish to give the impression that this book is too arcane, or too “different” though. There is a lot of immediately useful and practical advice included. It mentions things that I was currently thinking about at the time of reading, and other suggestions will be utilised in future. In fact I would anticipate returning to this book frequently.

My personal little rush of book purchases may slow somewhat now that our dollar is dropping from recent highs. At the time of writing “The Upper Half of the Motorcycle” is available from amazon.com for US$19.77.

Zedder
25th September 2011, 10:16
Thanks Pritch, a great review and a gem of a book by the sound of it.

Blackbird
25th September 2011, 14:58
Cheers Ron, I might just have to shell out for that one - looks like great background for instructor level too when trying to understand responses to different situations.

I totally agree with your comment "I am aware that this exercise is potentially controversial on KB where seemingly there are those who resolutely refuse to admit that any such matching of RPM is even necessary". Could I take this further and say "There are those who resolutely refuse to admit that they need any roadcraft upskilling at all" :innocent:

Nice review mate!

Ender EnZed
25th September 2011, 17:11
Nice review mate!

+1. Sounds interesting.

Ender EnZed
25th September 2011, 20:04
At the time of writing “The Upper Half of the Motorcycle” is available from amazon.com for US$19.77.

It's NZ$32.30 shipped from AbeBooks.

Ocean1
25th March 2012, 17:25
[CENTER]One instance of this is the recommendation that if things on the road immediately ahead turn too seriously to shite, you take to the scenery.

Obvious, innit?

And the reason I get seriously grumpy at WRB on the outside of corners.

Looks interesting... copy on it's way, cheers pritch.