PDA

View Full Version : Running lights, LEDs, neons and the like?

Harris Ang
25th September 2011, 16:36
This thread might potential get out of hand but I just want to test the waters.. Yay/Nay? Bodyglow lights? Running Lights? HIDs? anything of the sort! What y'all think?

tigertim20
25th September 2011, 16:41
I know people of all ages and sexes that use them.
One friend had led accent lighting that could flash and pulse etc.
Another has similar, she calls them whore lights, or bling lights. She uses them at rallies so she can find her tent by seeing her bike in the distance.

I have a feeling that HiD kits are illegal here, unless the vehicle had them as a standard option from the factory.

Hey, its your bike, if someone else doesnt like it, they can get fucked, as long as you like it.

Just make sure you stay within the bounds of legality, e.g. you cant see the source of the light, but the glow is ok, no flashing lights, cant have certain colours visible from the front or reaer etc etc.

BMWST?
25th September 2011, 16:47
This thread might potential get out of hand but I just want to test the waters.. Yay/Nay? Bodyglow lights? Running Lights? HIDs? anything of the sort! What y'all think?

one day i intend to mount a LED daylight running lamp to my ol bmw so i dont have to worry about the charging rates when running the headlight.I dont envisage any probs as i am buying a purpose made daylight running light

bogan
25th September 2011, 17:03
There are a few threads on this topic if you search for 'hid lights' or 'led lights' you might find them. Basically it is all good as long as you get correct beam patterns, colors (no red bulbs on front etc), and intensity (must not be too bright and must be steady).

I have an HID to go into my bike sooner or later, but it is a proper HID with a project/lens, so you get the correct beam pattern, just sticking an HID bulb in a halogen buck will not give you the beam pattern, and will not be legal.

Gremlin
25th September 2011, 17:58
one day i intend to mount a LED daylight running lamp to my ol bmw so i dont have to worry about the charging rates when running the headlight.I dont envisage any probs as i am buying a purpose made daylight running light
Only trick with daytime running lights is that they must not be on when the headlamp is on.

There have been plenty of threads on this, including the legals around it... would prefer not to type it all out again...

search for HID, or comestic lighting, led etc, you'll find heaps.

Scuba_Steve
25th September 2011, 18:09
I have said "bodyglow" lights, at 1st they were just for shits n giggles on my FXR as those bikes come "boy racered out" as stock, but now they're my "safety lights" as when I have them on (at night) people actually fucking see me!!!

I have a feeling that sometimes they think I'm a PIG tho, as more than once I've had them slow down or more commonly (if lane splitting) part ways to let me through, either way WIN, they saw me :D

So I'd say Yay!!!

DrunkenMistake
25th September 2011, 18:38
I had some on my bike,
The one Tigertim was referring to, had a remote control I could change between the modes, if you are in the stream of traffic it must not flash or pulse or what have you, and if you cant see the source of the light you should be ok, just be careful with what colors you use, I had blue led pods, I still have a bunch here, new bike is red so I cant use them!
:facepalm:
Im going to look at a HID upgrade though

Harris Ang
25th September 2011, 21:56
There are a few threads on this topic if you search for 'hid lights' or 'led lights' you might find them. Basically it is all good as long as you get correct beam patterns, colors (no red bulbs on front etc), and intensity (must not be too bright and must be steady).

I have an HID to go into my bike sooner or later, but it is a proper HID with a project/lens, so you get the correct beam pattern, just sticking an HID bulb in a halogen buck will not give you the beam pattern, and will not be legal.

I was more referring to the body accent lights, being seen from the side.. and 'rice' factor ;p

I have said "bodyglow" lights, at 1st they were just for shits n giggles on my FXR as those bikes come "boy racered out" as stock, but now they're my "safety lights" as when I have them on (at night) people actually fucking see me!!!

I have a feeling that sometimes they think I'm a PIG tho, as more than once I've had them slow down or more commonly (if lane splitting) part ways to let me through, either way WIN, they saw me :D

So I'd say Yay!!!

What color was your bike? and what color were your neons.. i'm tossing between white, blue, green...

DrunkenMistake
25th September 2011, 22:07
What color was your bike? and what color were your neons.. i'm tossing between white, blue, green...

Dont do white,
Can reflect colors and make you pig bait,
What colour is your bike?
Blue is pretty clear

tigertim20
25th September 2011, 22:13
id suggest avoiding green too. dont wanna confuse them dumb fucken cagers!!!

Harris Ang
25th September 2011, 22:33
Dont do white,
Can reflect colors and make you pig bait,
What colour is your bike?
Blue is pretty clear

I'm not sure how to put pictures on posts yet.. So i have my bike as my profile picture. its black with dark blue-grey and light sea-green accents. talk about a mess! hahah but i like it ;)

id suggest avoiding green too. dont wanna confuse them dumb fucken cagers!!!

speaking of the devil, got caged in this morning.. first time.. and i was shitting bricks good thing my horn was loud enough.. :facepalm: don't wanna use my horn again

DrunkenMistake
25th September 2011, 22:37
I'm not sure how to put pictures on posts yet.. So i have my bike as my profile picture. its black with dark blue-grey and light sea-green accents. talk about a mess! hahah but i like it ;)

speaking of the devil, got caged in this morning.. first time.. and i was shitting bricks good thing my horn was loud enough.. :facepalm: don't wanna use my horn again

Blue for sure man,
and do what I done,
install some air horns.. Bwahahahaha I have like... 8 blue LED pods here, I think its 8 ill check if your interested, they are bright little fuckers I had them wired to a control box so I could turn them on and off with a remote and have the strobe and flash. But Alas, my bike was stolen and written off so I only have my left over pods.
was off a cell phone but this is the bike and lights,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPy4A6v0os

Harris Ang
25th September 2011, 22:52
Blue for sure man,
and do what I done,
install some air horns.. Bwahahahaha I have like... 8 blue LED pods here, I think its 8 ill check if your interested, they are bright little fuckers I had them wired to a control box so I could turn them on and off with a remote and have the strobe and flash. But Alas, my bike was stolen and written off so I only have my left over pods.
was off a cell phone but this is the bike and lights,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWPy4A6v0os

Do you still have them lights bro? I'll be keen to get them from a fellow biker ;) (plus you can sorta show me how to wire things up) teehee :evil:

however i'm sorry about the stolen bike.. i can't imagine what i would do without my baby..

DrunkenMistake
25th September 2011, 22:55
Do you still have them lights bro? I'll be keen to get them from a fellow biker ;) (plus you can sorta show me how to wire things up) teehee :evil:

however i'm sorry about the stolen bike.. i can't imagine what i would do without my baby..

I have the blue lights and some small brackets etc, just use some 3m tape to hold them in place,
I have 8 pods left, I only used 6 last time.

Wiring them up is pretty straight foward, im Dunedin so I cant show you, plus my Wiring is Maori as, I have hard wired my laptop using a crocodile clamp and tape.. but I can give you an idea.

Harris Ang
25th September 2011, 23:32
I have the blue lights and some small brackets etc, just use some 3m tape to hold them in place,
I have 8 pods left, I only used 6 last time.

Wiring them up is pretty straight foward, im Dunedin so I cant show you, plus my Wiring is Maori as, I have hard wired my laptop using a crocodile clamp and tape.. but I can give you an idea.

sweet as mate, let me know choice.

Scuba_Steve
26th September 2011, 07:57

The FXR is the green with blue glow & I have a VFR black with blue glow

I choose blue as red seen front illegal, white seen back illegal & green with green bike just seemed like too much green (but green in general doesn't look to bad)

Harris Ang
26th September 2011, 14:37
The FXR is the green with blue glow & I have a VFR black with blue glow

I choose blue as red seen front illegal, white seen back illegal & green with green bike just seemed like too much green (but green in general doesn't look to bad)

Looks like blue is the answer ;) thank mate.

nathanwhite
26th September 2011, 15:33
I have these (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=ACCENTS&Page2Disp=/specs/falm.htm#photos) blue LED's on my scorpio, which look pretty good. Wiring is an absolute piece of cake, but in true form, I didn't think first and started wiring them in series :facepalm:

Most likely the two biggest issues you'll face are where to put them and wether or not to power them from a relay hooked up the ignition or sommat fancy like that. I just went straight from the battery, but then I was running short of time.

Harris Ang
28th September 2011, 19:58
I have these (http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&category=ACCENTS&Page2Disp=/specs/falm.htm#photos) blue LED's on my scorpio, which look pretty good. Wiring is an absolute piece of cake, but in true form, I didn't think first and started wiring them in series :facepalm:

Most likely the two biggest issues you'll face are where to put them and wether or not to power them from a relay hooked up the ignition or sommat fancy like that. I just went straight from the battery, but then I was running short of time.

So parallel, check!
Where to put them, check!
Hook them up straight from the battery with a toggle switch, check!
Christmas Tree between legs, CHECK! :motorcyclechristmastree:

teehee

BMWST?
28th September 2011, 20:03
Only trick with daytime running lights is that they must not be on when the headlamp is on.

There have been plenty of threads on this, including the legals around it... would prefer not to type it all out again...

search for HID, or comestic lighting, led etc, you'll find heaps.

thanks for that mate,i might have to get creative with a relay then...

DrunkenMistake
28th September 2011, 20:53
So parallel, check!
Where to put them, check!
Hook them up straight from the battery with a toggle switch, check!
Christmas Tree between legs, CHECK! :motorcyclechristmastree:

teehee

dont forget the fuse!

Urano
29th September 2011, 08:09
http://www.jwspeaker.com/other/led-headlamps

interesting.
pretty curious to try one...

Toaster
30th September 2011, 11:46
This is a photo of the side LED strip I have fitted to my bike. Used as running lights for night riding and also doubles as extra indicators.

imdying
30th September 2011, 13:57
This thread might potential get out of hand but I just want to test the waters.. Yay/Nay? Bodyglow lights? Running Lights? HIDs? anything of the sort! What y'all think?The blade has bright white running lights fitted as standard, they make the bike quite a bit wider visually and very distinctive, which can't be a bad thing in traffic.

Harris Ang
1st October 2011, 13:44
This is a photo of the side LED strip I have fitted to my bike. Used as running lights for night riding and also doubles as extra indicators.

Ah, so during the day time it just flashes like a turn signal, and at night it stays on and then flashes when indicated?

Toaster
2nd October 2011, 08:45
Ah, so during the day time it just flashes like a turn signal, and at night it stays on and then flashes when indicated?

Yes they are on all the time as running lights and then flash a signals as well. Been a neat little mod for the bike.

Toaster
2nd October 2011, 08:47
The blade has bright white running lights fitted as standard, they make the bike quite a bit wider visually and very distinctive, which can't be a bad thing in traffic.

Agreed. Anything that makes a bike more visible to others is a good thing. Any pics of the running lights on a blade?

imdying
3rd October 2011, 17:10
Agreed. Anything that makes a bike more visible to others is a good thing. Any pics of the running lights on a blade?I don't, but they're in the indicators in the mirrors, and typical of the easy to see white LEDs.

Harris Ang
9th October 2011, 20:05
Not really sure how to post pictures... but if anyone is interested, i have mine rigged, and looking pretty swole! Its on my profile, picture album :) :pacman: wagawagawaga

DrunkenMistake
9th October 2011, 20:07
Looks good man,
If you have two more of those pods left, I would take a notch out of your intake hoses and put in inside so they glowed blue, Well I would find out if your bike will die without them first lmao

bogan
9th October 2011, 20:17
Can't really tell whether it looks good or not, but I can tell you need a better camera :innocent:

Harris Ang
10th October 2011, 12:04
Can't really tell whether it looks good or not, but I can tell you need a better camera :innocent:

iPhone 4 camera! maybe i should take it with a smaller pixel widthxheight or what ever :P i might even make a montage video, just for the hell of it :corn: now i need to find and print out the page of the rules just incase the fuzz stop me..

shonofear
16th November 2011, 08:45
so for the sake legalities of not getting pulled over with some LED trancey lights,
you are allowed ?
white lights on the front
red lights on the back

but when it come to the sides, still unclear. im guessing amber would be the most legal option but i want some red LEDS inside bike engine
and some blues for the wheels
ive been following a thread from netriders here (http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=125117#.TsLNn83Mst8)
where a guy has made his own really cool Tron style wheel kit and will be making them up for others to buy from him.
at this stage hes asking for around $150-, still in development though.

heres a recent video of his setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FOG9rrH1xE&feature=player_embedded

hes also made a thread here (http://www.netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=126900&highlight=lightcycle#.TsECeGWO6FA) about the times hes gotten pulled over from the cops about his setup and he knows the laws well and seems to ride away without fines

anyways, i just brought these from tradme (http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/wheels-tyres/other/auction-423780093.htm)
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/tq/71/180935071.jpg

Scuba_Steve
16th November 2011, 08:56
Here's NZTA rules on cosmetic lighting (http://nzta.govt.nz/resources/get-your-lights-right/get-your-lights-right.html#cosmetic), fairly straight forward & easy to understand

george formby
16th November 2011, 09:33
I have an LED running light mounted below the headlight on my latest bike. I am very impressed with it. Not sure how, what or where, it was on the bike when i got it but I did get the bike off a KB'er.

Will post a piccie when I prise the camera off my beloved.

shonofear
16th November 2011, 09:39
Here's NZTA rules on cosmetic lighting (http://nzta.govt.nz/resources/get-your-lights-right/get-your-lights-right.html#cosmetic), fairly straight forward & easy to understand

They must not flash, pulse, fade in and out or change colour.

They must not revolve, rotate or move in any direction.

mmm well once over certain speed the wheel lights would become 1 solid beam, but once slowed down they would become quiet evident they are rotating/revolving
any one used tron wheel lights setups before?