PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on first adventure bike

Buckyball
25th September 2011, 20:03
Hi there, I am looking at buying a dual purpose bike after many years out of the saddle. Have always wanted an xt or tt 600. Have spotted a 2002 tt600r with 58000km on Trade me. My questions are:
Is it a suitable dual purpose bike?
Are the km's too high?
Are these bikes prone to any specific problems.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Dave

Woodman
25th September 2011, 20:15
Hi there, I am looking at buying a dual purpose bike after many years out of the saddle. Have always wanted an xt or tt 600. Have spotted a 2002 tt600r with 58000km on Trade me. My questions are:
Is it a suitable dual purpose bike?
Are the km's too high?
Are these bikes prone to any specific problems.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks - Dave

TT600 has a very small gas tank so range is crap.You wanna have at least 300ks in a tank i reclon. Also has no leccy leg which is uncool in every way. Depends what adventure is to you though really. They look good though and I wouldn't mind one myself as a second bike.

Padmei
25th September 2011, 20:21
Just get a KLR650. You can't go wrong with one:yes:

Winston001
25th September 2011, 20:22
I have a mate who is compulsive/obsessive about motorcycles. Having owned a Kawasaki 900 Z1 years ago, his current bike is a 650 VStrom and I can't see him changing.

You'll get many opinions and most modern bikes are good. You probably can't make a mistake in terms of a particular model so service and condition are the big issues.

The VStroms are boringly excellent.

DR650gary
25th September 2011, 20:37
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_tt600r%2097.htm

Have a read. :psst:

pete376403
25th September 2011, 22:21
Depends how hard-core you want to go with adventuring. V Strom would be fine for well formed gravel roads, but there's a bit of low-hanging fruit (pipes, oil filter, oil cooler) where even medium sized rocks could cause grief.

KLR / DRs are a good choice. European eg BMW, KTM tend to be pretty spendy when things go wrong.

New XT660s especially the Tenere version, could be considered overpriced when compared to the Kawasaki or Suzuki equivalents. Is EFI really worth $3K?

+1 on Woodmans thoughts on the electric start.

dino3310
25th September 2011, 23:15
nothing wrong with a TT buckyball.
after market tank (clark or IMS) will give you the distance.
if shes been looked after the kms shouldnt matter to much, but who knows?
i did a rebuild on the XR at 45k and its simular to the TT and shes a barrel of fun.
i miss the lecky leg at times but the suspention and performance make up for that.
The TTs a better offroad orientated bike than the DRs Klrs etc end of the day its gonna be down to personal preference.... the XR dosent meet all of what i wanted out of a bike but once i got on her i new i wanted it:D

pete-blen
26th September 2011, 12:17
yes.. a kicks almost a must..
I have nightmares about a dead batt
or killing the electrics in a river...:angry:

pete376403
26th September 2011, 16:57
If you've killed the electrics in a river, then the ignition is probably toast as well. Kickstarter might not be much use in that case.

However i've seen a couple of instances where bikes (DR650 and KTM950) got drowned and pulling the plug(s) and winding on the starter de-watered them. Would not have liked to be putting that number of turns into a motor using the kickstart.

Kickstart AND electric start would cover both bases (KLR650 with KLR600 clutch cover, lever and a few internal bits)

Padmei
26th September 2011, 17:03
Only been adv riding for a few years but done a bit over that time. i have never needed a kickstart but have waited for people to kick their bikes over in front.

i would say they're essential unless you want to go hardcore

pete-blen
26th September 2011, 17:12
If you've killed the electrics in a river, then the ignition is probably toast as well. Kickstarter might not be much use in that case.
Would not have liked to be putting that number of turns into a motor using the kickstart.

Glad yer said "probably"..so theres a possabitliy that is not toast aswel..sound like a kick
could be handy then...

There was no option once... kicking drowned bikes..
yer just got on with it...

Buckyball
26th September 2011, 17:31

Yep that pretty much tells me all I need to know- Thanks

Ocean1
26th September 2011, 17:48

130 Kg ain't hideous. Get rid of that zorst and a few pretty bits and it could be very respectable.

Wouldn't give up me E leg, though, the number of times it's saved me blushes...

Buckyball
26th September 2011, 20:50
nothing wrong with a TT buckyball.
after market tank (clark or IMS) will give you the distance.
if shes been looked after the kms shouldnt matter to much, but who knows?
i did a rebuild on the XR at 45k and its simular to the TT and shes a barrel of fun.
i miss the lecky leg at times but the suspention and performance make up for that.
The TTs a better offroad orientated bike than the DRs Klrs etc end of the day its gonna be down to personal preference.... the XR dosent meet all of what i wanted out of a bike but once i got on her i new i wanted it:D

Hey thanks for the info -I think I'll hold out for a bit longer have a limited budget - I'll let you know how I get on! cheers

warewolf
26th September 2011, 21:11
Electric start is definitely better, but not necessary. Ditto having kick as backup to electric. You're better off to buy a battery tender than retrofit a kick start.

TT600 was an under-rated bike, IIRC performed better than the XR6 in many ways but was never as popular, at least outside Europe. Later ones were built by the Italians, Belgarda, that was it. Ohlins rear shock, Brembo brakes. :drool: Hmmm, under 601cc, too.

Pikey
26th September 2011, 21:17
Personally I loving my DR :yes: Take it anywhere :scooter:

Buckyball
27th September 2011, 17:25
Electric start is definitely better, but not necessary. Ditto having kick as backup to electric. You're better off to buy a battery tender than retrofit a kick start.

TT600 was an under-rated bike, IIRC performed better than the XR6 in many ways but was never as popular, at least outside Europe. Later ones were built by the Italians, Belgarda, that was it. Ohlins rear shock, Brembo brakes. :drool: Hmmm, under 601cc, too.

Yes I have wondered why they are not common. 130kgs, 42HP so I was wondering if I was missing something? Cheers

DR650gary
27th September 2011, 19:24
Get on with it man. My youngest is now looking at it so I'd have to go all the way down to earthquake island to get it, so do me a favour and get it off Trademe :yes: