PDA

View Full Version : Bike won't start. Help!

oracle
26th September 2011, 07:09
Just as i got to uni his morning and stopped my new to me vtr250 it turned itself off and now i can't start it i was going to take it information a service in an hour but now have no way to get it to cyclespot. The lights are working but there is not even a clicking when i push the ignition. Any suggestions for me with no tools or if you are in the city and can help get in touch on 0211661671

ajturbo
26th September 2011, 07:25
is it in in gear?...

check your fuses

kill switch off?

sell it..:facepalm:

oracle
26th September 2011, 07:33
I only just brought the thing! Was in gear when it died pretty sure i took it out of gear before i tried turning it on again and the main fuse which is the only one i can see without majorly pulling it apart is the main fuse which can.t be blown as the lights are going and i couldn't pull the cover off when i tried

quattro
26th September 2011, 07:48
Sidestand kill switch fuckered?

Is it Completely dead?

rickstv
26th September 2011, 08:50
Side stand must be up, must be neutral with neutral light on,little red kill switch on right handle bar must be in "run" position and clutch lever pulled in.:yes:
Rick.

Latte
26th September 2011, 08:59
Side stand must be up, must be neutral with neutral light on,little red kill switch on right handle bar must be in "run" position and clutch lever pulled in.:yes:
Rick.

Damn you little red kill switch.... always in front of hot chicks too!

gijoe1313
26th September 2011, 09:09
Where's Squiggles? He's mr fixit superman biker dude! Good advice from all the previous posters, try all those easy options first - trouble shoot your way through them ... if no go, then its a phone call or two!

baffa
26th September 2011, 11:04
I've found the Neutral indicator is a bit iffy on my VTR, most of the time you know it's in neutral from feel, rather than a pretty green light.

You tried starting it with the stand up and the clutch in?

Also tried roll starting? I've noticed a couple of times when its outside on a cold rainy day it has cranked, and not fired, and I've had to give it a little roll start.

oracle
26th September 2011, 13:15
Made sure it was in neutral (even though I agree most of the time the light doesn't show it, side stand was up when it died and as long as it is in neutral can start with it down so wouldn't be that. Have no idea why but when I left my lecture early and went back to it to try some more trouble shooting to try to get it for the service in my gap it started straight away no problems. I'm just gonna hope and pray it doesn't happen again as I'm gonna be spending about $400 on it today for service, spark plugs and clutch cable that I don't really have let alone having to pay someone to stuff around with the electrics

oracle
26th September 2011, 13:16
And thank you to who ever works at sunnybay/summerbay/somethingbay school who rang me to try and help but I had already dropped off the bike and was demonstrating in a lab so couldn't answer

Captain_Salty
26th September 2011, 16:41
I've had similar intermittent trouble from dirty battery leads/terminals. they should look like polished brass, some fine sandpaper cleans them up easily

Metastable
26th September 2011, 16:53
I hope you get it resolved. I had a stubborn GS500e that always acted nice near a dealer.... then it would just randomly sputter and die. I'd wait a bit and it would start back up again. Then, I cleaned the carbs and it never did it again. I think the float bowls might have been getting stuck.

Another thing that might be happening with yours is a vapor lock. Anyway, I'm sure the shop will get you sorted. BTW, strange that you don't get a turnover when you try to start it, but the lights work.

quattro
26th September 2011, 20:58
The chances of it being anything to worry about are very slim. It'll be a dirty this or a bunged up that.

oracle
28th September 2011, 10:43
When I picked it up from service this morning, the guy said the neutral sensor needed fixing (apparently a common fault in the VTR250s, juts needed replacing a washer with a smaller washer) and I know the light hadn't come on in the past but only when my ride had finished and never had the problem with it stopping so didn't think anything of it. Hopefully this is the problem and it is now sorted.

I'm telling you this bike is testing my hope and denial, don't think I will get a bike that has been sitting outside unused for 6 months again, or at least until I have the no how to check every little detail out

baffa
28th September 2011, 11:28
Yeah my Neutral light almost never works. Just means most of the time you have to kick up the stand and pull in the clutch to start.

Simple fix then!

Lemme know the cost to replace, I may look into it.

otter
28th September 2011, 13:48
Happy I haven't had any problems with my VTR neutral light. Every now and again it won't turn on but it's usually fine. Why are you replacing the clutch cable, stretched?

oracle
28th September 2011, 18:26
He said it was literally just replacing the washer with a smaller one so the washer was $1.95 for a 12mm washer (but I have a feeling it would more be a thinner washer than diameter) and then whatever the labour would be, can't say how long that bit would be as had a few other things done at the same time (didn't even mention the not starting to him tbh)

oracle
28th September 2011, 18:28
Happy I haven't had any problems with my VTR neutral light. Every now and again it won't turn on but it's usually fine. Why are you replacing the clutch cable, stretched?

Yeah it not coming on didn't bother me but he said they's fixed it when I turned up, nothing to do with me. That's what they said, I don't have enough experience to tell but it does feel better since they've done it

oracle
29th September 2011, 10:02
Quick question, rather than starting a whole new thread. When I got the bike home following its service yesterday and this morning when i got to uni there was some coolant leaking out of a hose that looks like an overflow hose that just leads to the outside world. Am I right in my guessing and quick google search that this is most likely just a sign that the service department overfilled it and this is the extra running off or should I look into it more?

The Baron
29th September 2011, 12:26
Coolant overflow after a service is not a problem - just over full.

But if it keeps happening - then get it checked.

oracle
29th September 2011, 13:15
Coolant overflow after a service is not a problem - just over full.

But if it keeps happening - then get it checked.

Sweet, thanks The Baron that's what I thought it would be but as my last bike was air cooled I just wanted to check