PDA

View Full Version : How do you get started?

Matariki
30th September 2011, 13:01
I'm interested in learning how to modify bikes, where would be the best to start?
How did you guys learn how to do it?

blackdog
30th September 2011, 13:06
Get a bike first.

Then learn to ride it. Then you will have some idea about what you might like to change to better suit your personality.

Baby steps HK, walk before you run.

DrunkenMistake
30th September 2011, 13:31
As above,
You can always do alot of small bolt on stuff to start with I.E some blingy levers and a intolerably loud slip on muffler, then maybe do some LED indicators, which will most likely require a relay change, then you can go onto a little bit bigger stuff, my 400 has a good top end but I seen it as senseless as I ride down a road thats good for fanging but not long/straight enough or clear enough to use the top end, so I opted to change my sprockets to lean towards acceleration rather than top speed, so you could do something like this, not to forget to do the chain also,
then you get into the nitty gritty picky shit which my ham hands arnt capable of.
But ride the bike first before you change anything that could effect performance, and as my own personal rule of thumb dont over modify anything so that it cant be returned to stock, most people want a stock bike not something that has been the sperm dumpster of another persons hopes and dreams.

nodrog
30th September 2011, 14:02
If you are interested in streetfighters the first thing you need to do is crash your sportsbike.

slofox
30th September 2011, 14:41
I'm interested in learning how to modify bikes, where would be the best to start?

Buy a really old bike that's about to break down. When it does, and nobody can remember how to fix them and parts are impossible to get for it anyway, you will be in a prime position to learn "modification"...

That's how I did it anyway...(True!) :facepalm:

BIG DOUG
30th September 2011, 17:37
learn to weld,use a lathe and milling machine and you should be good to go.

cs363
30th September 2011, 17:54

It might be a good idea to post what you are interested in modifying, for instance tell us if you're into racing, streetfighters, fast street bikes, building bobbers or choppers or whatever and what bike you own or are going to buy and maybe your skill level/mechanical experience, that way you'll get some more focused ideas.

The Lone Rider
30th September 2011, 18:29

Easy. I watched a lot of American Chopper, and Biker Build Off. And I read for about 5 years Easyriders, Heavy Duty, In The Wind, and others.

Then I visited some custom bike shops and saw their set up.

Then I hated something on one of my own bikes and decided anything I make would be better than that.

True story.

Sable
30th September 2011, 19:36
Get a bike first dumbass :whocares:

White trash
30th September 2011, 19:39
Pull the exhaust off. That's always the first step.

Everyone knows a loud bike's a fast bike.

FJRider
30th September 2011, 19:45
Depends ... do you want to modify your bike yourself ... or will you PAY somebody to modify it ... :shutup:

Henk
30th September 2011, 20:56
Get into bucket racing, before you know it you'll be chopping things off, welding things on and building bastard creations that were never meant to be.

bogan
30th September 2011, 21:13
Mechanical sympathy is the first step, get it by doing a lot of riding, and as much maintenance as you can, as well as reading up on how all the bits work. Then you'll start getting ideas on how you want to change it, which you'll need equipment and skills to do. Stick to mods within your equipment level, and practice practice practice to get your skills up before doing the mod.

Those were my steps anyhow, and I reckon I do alright now :D

imdying
1st October 2011, 21:31
How did you guys learn how to do it?If you've got cosmetic modifications in mind, find the one part you want to change most, and do it. Maybe file finish a cast alloy bracket (because they're always horrible on the average bike, casting marks and flashings etc are poorly finished) with some small files for $10 from Bunnings/Repco etc, and then have it powder coated for another $20. Maybe have a look at something like tastynuts.com (seriously) and start swapping out the fasteners for stainless.

If you want it to go faster, then start with things like changing the oil and lubing the chassis.

If it's comfort, maybe pick the staples out of the seat and reshape the foam, then restaple it.

Or something else in mind? Bolt ons are an easy in (like swapping indicators) but they don't give much in the way of fufillment.

EJK
1st October 2011, 22:05
If you are interested in streetfighters the first thing you need to do is crash your sportsbike.

Don't forget to ride outside of your license regulation and/ or have no insurance. This is a must.

DrunkenMistake
1st October 2011, 22:07
Don't forget to ride outside of your license regulation and/ or have no insurance. This is a must.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh about that. :innocent:

brett7777
2nd October 2011, 21:20
Here's the basics.
Change out the:

bars/grips
pipes or just slip on mufflers
seat
rear guard
taillight
indicators
paintjob
mirrors
suspension (lower shocks or hardtail)

LBD
3rd October 2011, 01:06
First step is to have a clear picture of what you want to end up with.

Second step is to price it all up and decide if it is viable and know this....you will not get 50% of it back...but you will have the satisfaction of doing it

Third step is to get your hands on the bike or base building you want to develop.

Fourth step....start spending, building, dreaming and having fun.

Dodgyiti
3rd October 2011, 06:54
No Money and the need to get to work.
Prices of factory parts and the lack of avaliability for parts (of bikes in my price range- ie; old) pre-internet.
Being a poor apprentice flatting on slightly less than the dole for my first year and having a machine shop at my beck and call- when the boss was not looking.
It's been all downhill from there:innocent:

YellowDog
3rd October 2011, 07:05

Ha ha... Very funny :)

Ribbons on mirrors ought to do it.

Paul in NZ
3rd October 2011, 11:14
No Money and the need to get to work.

For me it was a need to get to school (well I didnt feel the need to personally but mum insisted)

Dad was a mechanic so there were always loots of tools about the place. You start simply by picking up a magic spanner. Honestly, some spanners you only have to pick them up and a part falls off your bike!

Eventually you get sick of replacing the same part 34 times and you become more careful in your approach.

AllanC
3rd October 2011, 12:32
For me it was just "why not". It's a fun project and I guess you learn as you go along. Figured if I got an old bike and stripped it down, I'd have no choice but to put it back together in some way, shape or form. Personally (with my lack of knowledge and experience), I'd try and get something with a strong motor so that you don't have to mess with the complicated stuff too much.

Anyway, it's just fun!

Matariki
3rd October 2011, 15:01
Get a bike first dumbass :whocares:

Currently in the process of getting one. :wait:

imdying
3rd October 2011, 16:04
Has any of this been helpful? Or would you like more generic/specific info? Do you have a biking partner in crime? Very useful one of those.

Matariki
3rd October 2011, 16:33
Has any of this been helpful? Or would you like more generic/specific info? Do you have a biking partner in crime? Very useful one of those.

Yes, allot of it has given me some rough ideas. I'm keen to get into the cosmetic and restoration side of modification rather than building from scratch. I don't know anyone here locally that I could learn from and I practically have no knowledge of the basics such as welding, which obviously I'm going to have to learn. So I'm keen on any recommended reading material or equipment that could help me.

I originally wanted to start with my Suzuki GN but unfortunately its at the wreckers thanks to a mobility van. :facepalm:

imdying
3rd October 2011, 16:49
Doing welding to a worthwhile standard is a little tricky, but if there's a local Polytech they probably run courses on it.

Pick one part on the bike and start by restoring that would be my suggestion. Preferably a piece that lets you keep riding it. Once you've ripped that off, post a pic of it and what you want to accomplish with it, and KB will get you pointed in the right direction.

Be aware it's like disease. Once you get the piece bolted back on the bike you'll be hungry for more.

Mungatoke Mad
13th October 2011, 18:15
Yes, allot of it has given me some rough ideas. I'm keen to get into the cosmetic and restoration side of modification rather than building from scratch. I don't know anyone here locally that I could learn from and I practically have no knowledge of the basics such as welding, which obviously I'm going to have to learn. So I'm keen on any recommended reading material or equipment that could help me.

I originally wanted to start with my Suzuki GN but unfortunately its at the wreckers thanks to a mobility van. :facepalm:Get a Haynes workshop manual 4 your model learn how 2 pull it 2 bits step by step with pretty pics of all the right bits & bolts as well as poly tech Corses's in welding etc. & Google 2 fill in the blanks

AllanC
13th October 2011, 19:24
Get a Haynes workshop manual 4 your model learn how 2 pull it 2 bits step by step with pretty pics of all the right bits & bolts as well as poly tech Corses's in welding etc. & Google 2 fill in the blanks

Also can be a really good idea to take lots of photos as you pull it apart, makes it a hell of a lot easier to remember how to put it back together again!

brett7777
13th October 2011, 19:29
I dont weld. I did 3 bobbers last year, 2 this year, plus the board tracker Im working on now. If I need welding done I just pop down the local engineer. He's friendly & has fair prices; sometimes does quick jobs for free.
Having said that, to be able to weld is obviously very handy.
Remember that if you chop & weld you may need to get the work certified.

Padmei
16th October 2011, 19:52
I like modifying. My stuff isn't pretty, professional or even functional a lot of the time but what else are you gonna do with your time???
I am however dismayed at the lack of bike wreckers & sourcing 2nd hand parts can be bloody expensive.
You just know there are hundreds of brake master cylinders/ mudguards/ wheels/tanks etc piled up in garages somewhere not being used however getting them for a cheap price on Trademe is pretty hit & miss.
If you do get into it i'd suggest a GN250 or the like & just start taking bits apart. I can almost guarantee the parts won't go back the way you thought they should & that's the point where your brain starts to learn. You need to learn to research from the web, mates & especially your friendly local mechanic:love:
At that point you'll either say bugger this for a game of soldiers & get rid of the evidence or you may bet hooked - or you may make some cheese on toast...

The Pastor
19th October 2011, 12:01
but unfortunately its at the wreckers thanks to a mobility van. :facepalm:

sounds like that's a really good place to start from....