PDA

View Full Version : Telco Tech - Anyone on here? Need some tech help please.

Disco Dan
2nd October 2011, 18:51
Is anyone on here a telco tech or electrician that could give me some support regarding a DSL connection?

I am getting the run around from ISP and believe wire fault in my house is cause.

Gremlin
2nd October 2011, 19:21
Going to need some more details... unless you want an actual ISP tech, who could run line tests. No-one outside them gets that access. I presume you've asked your ISP to run a line test (takes a short while), and done some basic equipment swapping?

Latte
2nd October 2011, 19:29
Find where your line comes into the house, and connect your DSL modem (and only your DSL modem) directly into the line, without filter. Usually the most straight forward way to rule out your house wiring.

Disco Dan
2nd October 2011, 19:37
Okay thanks, link to thread on the ISP site is here:

http://forums.slingshot.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4657

I would ideally like someone to just come and make sure I have not made a silly mistake somewhere. Could be something as simple as me fiddling with the router and stuffing it up.

Long story short:

With Woosh wireless I was getting 100kbps so I switched to Slingshot nDSL and now I get 1.8mbps the tech support said that there must be a problem somewhere as that is FAR too slow and should be at least 6-7mbps

Lurch
2nd October 2011, 20:04
Okay thanks, link to thread on the ISP site is here:

http://forums.slingshot.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4657

TBH it looks like you're getting good support from Slingshot already. They're not obligated to rewire your fucking apartment.

Gremlin
3rd October 2011, 00:07
Ok, so you fiddled with the modem settings, but did a factory reset and walked through the setup again, putting the correct details (and leaving most of it standard). I presume you set the VPI/VCI to 0/100. If you have a modem not specifically for NZ, it may default to Aussie settings etc.

You've got naked DSL, so you can plug direct into the phone line, no filter. The filter is used to separate POTS (phone) from DSL frequencies, and obviously you don't have both.

From the forum link, the sync rate (maximum attainable speed for line - and you'll never get it) isn't great, which means it's likely something between exchange and your jack. They've run an analyser, which may give up some results, other options are basically a port reset (easy on their end) or a technician. Check what their terms are. If there is nothing wrong, you'll probably pay. If there is something wrong, you'll likely not pay, but these terms differ from ISP to ISP.

If you simply want to get it sorted, and are prepared to pay, simply tell them to send a technician, and they'll look into it.

Usarka
3rd October 2011, 07:56
ISP's always say it's the wiring in your house.

Some cunt was digging a ditch on the street outside my house and internet went off. Vodafone dick on the phone said it must be the wiring in my house.

He learnt some new words that day.